Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#103774 - 01/23/16 06:50 PM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: StarshipUK]  
StarshipUK Offline
StarshipUK  Offline

I heard back from someone who burnt a ROM chip and played it successfully on a real VC4000. Possibly the first time this game has ever been played on a VC4000 and not on a Database and from what I can tell it played without any issues.

I am glad I could help with this, and will let you know if I come across any more of the missing games for Pyuuta or Loopy and also so we do not bid against each other on them. If I win them I will want to get them dumped.

#103783 - 01/23/16 11:41 PM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: StarshipUK]  
ssj Offline
ssj  Offline

If I come across any auctions I'll email you so we don't end up on a bidding war.

#103867 - 01/27/16 03:22 PM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: StarshipUK]  
F1ReB4LL Offline
F1ReB4LL  Offline

Regarding Green Spider and Twist:

Originally Posted By James
"Green Spider" seems to be approximately or exactly the same as "Spider's Web".

Click to reveal...

Originally Posted By James
"Twist" seems to be approximately or exactly the same as "Treasure Hunt".

Click to reveal...

#103873 - 01/27/16 05:19 PM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: StarshipUK]  
ssj Offline
ssj  Offline

Yep, finally got the email with that info. Adrian didn't own the carts after all so he passed the message to the owner who replied back to me.

Mystery solved!

#103895 - 01/28/16 10:46 AM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: StarshipUK]  
Anna Wu Offline
Very Senior Member
Anna Wu  Offline
Very Senior Member

Thanks for Tron (Tomy Pyuuta), whoever dump it smile

Exist a dump of the Tomy Tutor/Tomy Pyuuta demonstration cartridge?

#103902 - 01/28/16 04:45 PM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: StarshipUK]  
ssj Offline
ssj  Offline

Nope not yet, I'm in contact with someone that owns one and might dump it we'll see how it pans out.

#103905 - 01/28/16 06:35 PM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: ssj]  
Anna Wu Offline
Very Senior Member
Anna Wu  Offline
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted By ssj
Nope not yet, I'm in contact with someone that owns one and might dump it we'll see how it pans out.

OK, thanks. smile

#109306 - 04/02/17 12:06 PM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: StarshipUK]  
Derek Andrews Offline
Derek Andrews  Offline

Nova Scotia
Hi there, Derek Andrews here, original programmer of Voltmace's Munch & Crunch and Leapfrog. I just wanted to reply to a few points raised above.

The Rev A mystery on Leapfrog: Not a biggie! I probably didn't add this to Munch & Crunch simply because it didn't occur to me at the time. I was probably just happy to have finished the job I was hired to do and lived up to Voltmace's expectations; this was all learn on the job and solve problems myself. When it came to Leapfrog they were keen to stop other companies from simply copying the ROM, hence the company name in the introduction and on the bottom row of trucks. The copyright block was just another line of security and the revision identifier would have made for a quick way of identify a rom if we ever needed to make changes or bug fixes. But as far as I recall, and this was 35 years ago, there was never any revB. I used other nasty tricks in the code to discourage re-engineering such as initialising an index register with a byte of data from within an opcode rather than using a "load immediate".

Although I don't understand how these emulators operate, I can say that getting Leapfrog to display was a challenge due to the reprogramming of all the duplicate sprites. I had no fancy emulators or debuggers. As best as I remember, the development system was a proprietary Z80 based CP/M system with a simple text editor and assembler (maybe a disassembler too as I recall looking at printouts of earlier games) and a couple of 5ΒΌ-inch floppy discs. Debugging generally involved setting special bits of code to perform a visible or audible operation, such as display a number in the score digits, or changing the screen colour to see where in the display a certain piece of code was running.

I have just recently disassembled Leapfrog and am currently documenting it and trying to understand how it operates. So far the most likely thing I have found that could be breaking the emulator is the way in which the logs are displayed. Each log is the top byte (or two) of a sprite displayed at maximum size. A simple delay counter is used to determine when to collapse the size of the logs to the smallest possible and to make them invisible. It then loads the top two bytes of the lily shape, sets their position and waits for the log objects to finish displaying before programming the size of the sprites for the lillies and the last few bytes of their shape.

It is far from a ideal and a total fudge. Because of the way that the vertical position of the duplicate sprites is set in the PVI as an offset, rather than an absolute vertical coordinate, if the emulator doesn't like having the size of the logs changed part way through displaying them, then everything below them will fall apart.

#109336 - 04/06/17 06:05 PM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: Derek Andrews]  
F1ReB4LL Offline
F1ReB4LL  Offline

Originally Posted by Derek Andrews
The Rev A mystery on Leapfrog: Not a biggie! I probably didn't add this to Munch & Crunch simply because it didn't occur to me at the time. I was probably just happy to have finished the job I was hired to do and lived up to Voltmace's expectations; this was all learn on the job and solve problems myself. When it came to Leapfrog they were keen to stop other companies from simply copying the ROM, hence the company name in the introduction and on the bottom row of trucks. The copyright block was just another line of security and the revision identifier would have made for a quick way of identify a rom if we ever needed to make changes or bug fixes. But as far as I recall, and this was 35 years ago, there was never any revB.

The question wasn't about "revB", but about the initial revision. "Rev A" means the 2nd release, 1st release goes revisionless (or so-called Rev 0). 2nd release/1st bugfix goes as Rev A, 3rd release goes as Rev B, etc. So, was there anything before Rev A in your case?

#109337 - 04/06/17 07:42 PM Re: Leap Frog (Voltmace #25) [Re: StarshipUK]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
That's not always true. Among native English speakers I think it's usually more common that "Rev. A" is the first release, if they go by letter at all.

Regarding the emulation, it sounds like it needs to do line-by-line updating.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Praxis, Drucifer, judge), 20 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,319
Posts107,561
Members4,734
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014