Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#103886 - 01/28/16 05:07 AM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: R. Belmont]  
Wintermute0110 Offline
Wintermute0110  Offline

Japan
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Quote:
ROMs having a common launching command MUST BE placed on the same directory, and separated from ROMs with different launching commands.

This is not only completely arbitrary, but it violates the best possible way to run MAME (grab the PD torrents, put them all in one roms/ folder, and you will never see a "missing file" error in your life).

I'll go farther than qmc2; that restriction makes Kodi unusable for MAME until they nuke it from orbit and get someone competent to reprogram the thing.

Is it so hard to understand that not everybody want/can/wish to run MAME on a full featured PC but rather on an HTPC based on Intel NUC/Raspy/whatever? And that many of those systems only have a joystick connected and the front-end must have a 10-feet interface? Or that not everybody has 500 GB of disk space just for MAME ("arcade" ROMs + software list ROMS + MAME CHD + artwork PD torrents)? Or that people who only have a joystick and not a keyboard attached do not want machines who require a keyboard to show up on the list?

These are the reason tools like ROMLister and NARS exist.

And yes, in my linux laptop I have a full MAME setup with QMC2 (not including MESS CHDs), notwithstanding I also have a box running Kodi where I need to do ROM filtering.

#103887 - 01/28/16 05:09 AM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: Wintermute0110]  
Wintermute0110 Offline
Wintermute0110  Offline

Japan
Many thanks to everybody. Even if the discussion got a little bit off-topic, I got quite some ideas to improve NARS and make it the best ROM filtering tool. Will do some hacking over this weekend.

Last edited by Wintermute0110; 01/28/16 05:10 AM.
#103888 - 01/28/16 05:52 AM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: Wintermute0110]  
Olivier Galibert Offline
Olivier Galibert  Offline

somewhere else entirely
Originally Posted By Wintermute0110
Is it so hard to understand that not everybody want/can/wish to run MAME on a full featured PC but rather on an HTPC based on Intel NUC/Raspy/whatever? And that many of those systems only have a joystick connected and the front-end must have a 10-feet interface?

Then filter by input types, *duh*. There are arcade games with keyboards (typing of the dead, a lupin game), there are arcade games with way too many buttons to be mappable on a joystick (most mahjong), which you won't be able to play on your pi. And, the other way around, there are "mess" systems that work very well with a joystick only. Like, all the consoles for a start.

As for disk space, I know for a fact that kodi does samba and nfs, so meh.

OG.

#103889 - 01/28/16 08:24 AM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: Olivier Galibert]  
Wintermute0110 Offline
Wintermute0110  Offline

Japan
Originally Posted By Olivier Galibert

Then filter by input types, *duh*. There are arcade games with keyboards (typing of the dead, a lupin game), there are arcade games with way too many buttons to be mappable on a joystick (most mahjong), which you won't be able to play on your pi. And, the other way around, there are "mess" systems that work very well with a joystick only. Like, all the consoles for a start.

Exactly, NARS supports filtering by control type and number of buttons. However, I want to differentiate between "arcade" games launched with $ mame machine (where MAME has all the ROM info to run the game) from "non-arcade" $ mame machine media game (where MAME relies on a software list, and may even run non-software-list games for that machine, something you cannot do with "arcade" machines). This has implications for "dumb" front-ends, as I have explained.

Originally Posted By Olivier Galibert

As for disk space, I know for a fact that kodi does samba and nfs, so meh.

Yes, indeed it does. Kodi manages automounts, network filesystems and USB media hotplugging, etc. In Kodi you can use his script language to something like

Code:
play(smb://wintermute@htpc:My video.mp4)

Please notify me when you can do something like

Code:
$ mame smb://wintermute@nas:ROMs/dino

#103890 - 01/28/16 09:37 AM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: Wintermute0110]  
qmc2 Offline
qmc2  Offline

Very Senior Member

Germany
I really don't want to start over with all the discussions from yesterday, but I'd like to add that one should always follow the rule "the application defines the setup"... so what should be changed is the "dumb" front-end and/or Kodi, but not MAME.

Also, as I already said, be aware that software-lists and slot-devices etc. are NOT exclusively used by former "MESS machines".

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
#103891 - 01/28/16 10:11 AM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: qmc2]  
Wintermute0110 Offline
Wintermute0110  Offline

Japan
Originally Posted By qmc2
I really don't want to start over with all the discussions from yesterday, but I'd like to add that one should always follow the rule "the application defines the setup"... so what should be changed is the "dumb" front-end and/or Kodi, but not MAME.

I totally agree with this. Actually, there are ongoing efforts to make Kodi a full-featured emulation station, via libretro (have a look here http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=194). When retroplayer is finished, the whole Kodi capabilities (lists with thousands of entries, scraping, on demand network filesystem mounting, etc.) will be available. However, the project is progressing very slowly (it was supposed to be finished two years ago).

In the mean time, what we can do is to develop a front-end using Kodi Python plugin system. I know is far from optimum... but adequate for some people including me: I have my laptop with a full MAME QMC2 setup, and then my HTPC. Some people have done that already (Advanced Launcher and ROM Collection Browser plugins) and what I want to do with NARS is a filtering ROM tool to make that experience nicer. Once Kodi's retroplayer is finished NARS will make no sense anymore.

Originally Posted By qmc2

Also, as I already said, be aware that software-lists and slot-devices etc. are NOT exclusively used by former "MESS machines".

Noted. Thanks a lot!

#103892 - 01/28/16 10:25 AM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: Wintermute0110]  
EoceneMiacid Offline
EoceneMiacid  Offline

Code:

Mapping network drives is the job of the OS, not MAME. There are numerous ways to achieve this. You could mount any Samba volume on the network to a local folder, and the set MAME's rompath to that path. Or you could use symlinks.

Kodi runs on Linux, right?

#103894 - 01/28/16 10:39 AM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: EoceneMiacid]  
Wintermute0110 Offline
Wintermute0110  Offline

Japan
Originally Posted By EoceneMiacid

Code:

Mapping network drives is the job of the OS, not MAME. There are numerous ways to achieve this. You could mount any Samba volume on the network to a local folder, and the set MAME's rompath to that path. Or you could use symlinks.

Kodi runs on Linux, right?

Yes, Kodi runs on Linux and many other OSes.

Yes, you have the option to use the OS and mount a network resource. However, you also have an API so you can make your application aware of network-available resources, without having to mount system-wide filesystems. This is Kodi's approach, which is convenient to, for example, send a wake-on-lan packet to an sleeping NAS.

You can of course write your own launching script that checks your NAS is online, checks if the filesystem is mounted locally, etc. but that is a cumbersome process I want to avoid by having a filterd list of locally available ROMs.

#103896 - 01/28/16 11:13 AM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: Wintermute0110]  
EoceneMiacid Offline
EoceneMiacid  Offline

Are you sure creating and maintaining this filtered list isn't more cumbersome? MAME has all the functionality you need to reliably determine what roms are available to the user, and I can't see how sidestepping that and developing an alternative solution could improve on it at all.

#103897 - 01/28/16 12:05 PM Re: Separate arcade machines from MESS stuff in XML [Re: EoceneMiacid]  
Wintermute0110 Offline
Wintermute0110  Offline

Japan
Originally Posted By EoceneMiacid
Are you sure creating and maintaining this filtered list isn't more cumbersome? MAME has all the functionality you need to reliably determine what roms are available to the user, and I can't see how sidestepping that and developing an alternative solution could improve on it at all.

If you have software like ROMLister or NARS creating the filtered list it takes a matter of minutes. ROMLister only creates a list, which may be inconvenient for some people. NARS is able to synchronize very quickly the "source directory", where you have all your ROMs, with the "destination directory", where you have the ROMs the dumb front-end will scan. In other words, when a new version of MAME is out and PD torrents updated, it takes seconds to update all the filtered ROMs in the destination directories (assuming you mount the remote directory of your HTPC into your laptop/desktop with something fast like SSHFS).

NARS purpose is not to audit your ROMs. NARS assumes in fact that you have a full set of ROMs, audited with CMPro, that you want to customize or split intro several launchers according to some criteria. And due to dumb front-end limitations, one thing to consider is games who launch like $ mame machine as opposed to game who launch as $ mame machine media game.

If you had MAME running on an HTPC with limited SSD space and ONLY a joystick as a controller you would understand smile

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 17 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,425
Posts109,185
Members4,759
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014