Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 464 of 492 1 2 462 463 464 465 466 491 492
#104551 - 03/16/16 04:12 PM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: Anna Wu]  
hap Offline
hap  Offline

Ah, I heard kevtris is looking for Gamate stuff to reverse engineer.

If dumped roms don't work on MAME, it's likely MAME's fault. Seriously that driver is in bad shape. http://git.redump.net/mame/tree/src/mame/drivers/gamate.cpp

#104552 - 03/16/16 07:51 PM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: Anna Wu]  
ssj Offline
ssj  Offline

@Mr Postman: The roms should work on MAME, some will have some glitches though, make sure you also have the bios somewhere MAME can find it because you will need it to run the games. Not sure if you are familiar with MAME at all, but I'm happy to help you out getting the games to run if you need to.

Problem with making a dumper is the proprietary connector which means you'll need a donor Gamate console to extract the connector from in order to build one. If you have one (a broken one will work) I'm sure Juan or Peter will happily build an adapter for you.
Peter will probably see your post here and chime in, but since you are in contact with Juan ask him to join the mailing list and it might be easier to get in contact with Peter that way.

Thanks for your help getting some missing games.

#104554 - 03/16/16 08:27 PM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: Mr Postman]  
F1ReB4LL Offline
F1ReB4LL  Offline

Originally Posted By Mr Postman
More on topic. I do have many Gamate ROMs, both direct dumps and modified to work with EMU, but they don't work in Mess for me.

What is "EMU"? Is there some other Gamate emulator besides MESS(MAME)?

#104555 - 03/17/16 12:30 AM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: Mr Postman]  
kevtris Offline
kevtris  Offline

Mr. Postman here. Concerning the Gamate:
I'm currently mailing off Volcano Panic to JFMateos to be dumped, my entire gamate collection is in storage but plan on getting to them soon as I can fill many of the undumped slots. Not entirely comfortable mailing off all my rares across seas, in case anybody can sell me or loan me a dumper when the time comes. I would love all the games to be public for the world to finally enjoy.

More on topic. I do have many Gamate ROMs, both direct dumps and modified to work with EMU, but they don't work in Mess for me. Do they not run in the public Mess releases or is there something wrong with my binaries? A pleasure to meet everyone, please have a lovely day.

-Melody

Heya, I am working right now on trying to get a hold of some gamate stuff for reverse engineering. I want to do a full system reverse engineer like I did for the Supervision. So far, I have not been able to find any gamate units that I can poke for this purpose; do you have any broken/damaged units that still mostly work I could buy? I am prepared to pay money for one. The only stuff I can find are ridiculously priced ones on ebay, $200 and up for a loose system and a game or two.

All information gathered will be used to generate a document about how it works, similar to the Supervision one I did (you can see this here)

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Supervision_Tech.txt

Allowing it to be emulated hopefully completely.

I would rather buy one than a loaner, because I will have to solder a bunch of wires to it and hook it into a logic analyzer to do the job, and most likely will have to drill some holes in the plastic to mount a breakout board.

Just as an additional fyi to people, I bought a game king and a game master recently and have a game.com already and a lynx that are going to get the same RE treatment.

The game.com and lynx have both had their breakout boards added and are almost ready to go. Just waiting on PCBs for my ROM emulator and cartridge emulator boards to be done so I can stuff those and get on with the job.

#104557 - 03/17/16 02:07 AM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: Anna Wu]  
Duke Offline
Duke  Offline

Germany
The SVI 318/328 rewrite is still in progress. Implemented now is the slot system, one slot expander, two memory expansions, the floppy controller, and the 80 column cartridge.

Command line for this was:
Code:
mame svi328 -exp sv601 -exp:sv601:0 sv807 -exp:sv601:1 sv806 -exp:sv601:6 sv801 -flop1 cpm224ds

#104558 - 03/17/16 02:17 AM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: kevtris]  
Mr Postman Offline
Mr Postman  Offline

Originally Posted By kevtris
Mr. Postman here. Concerning the Gamate:
I'm currently mailing off Volcano Panic to JFMateos to be dumped, my entire gamate collection is in storage but plan on getting to them soon as I can fill many of the undumped slots. Not entirely comfortable mailing off all my rares across seas, in case anybody can sell me or loan me a dumper when the time comes. I would love all the games to be public for the world to finally enjoy.

More on topic. I do have many Gamate ROMs, both direct dumps and modified to work with EMU, but they don't work in Mess for me. Do they not run in the public Mess releases or is there something wrong with my binaries? A pleasure to meet everyone, please have a lovely day.

-Melody

Heya, I am working right now on trying to get a hold of some gamate stuff for reverse engineering. I want to do a full system reverse engineer like I did for the Supervision. So far, I have not been able to find any gamate units that I can poke for this purpose; do you have any broken/damaged units that still mostly work I could buy? I am prepared to pay money for one. The only stuff I can find are ridiculously priced ones on ebay, $200 and up for a loose system and a game or two.

All information gathered will be used to generate a document about how it works, similar to the Supervision one I did (you can see this here)

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Supervision_Tech.txt

Allowing it to be emulated hopefully completely.

I would rather buy one than a loaner, because I will have to solder a bunch of wires to it and hook it into a logic analyzer to do the job, and most likely will have to drill some holes in the plastic to mount a breakout board.

Just as an additional fyi to people, I bought a game king and a game master recently and have a game.com already and a lynx that are going to get the same RE treatment.

The game.com and lynx have both had their breakout boards added and are almost ready to go. Just waiting on PCBs for my ROM emulator and cartridge emulator boards to be done so I can stuff those and get on with the job.

Most of my stuff is in storage and not easily accessible atm. However, I will keep my eyes peeled to see if I can get you one cheap. I'd kill for a Zimba 3000 that had a gamate card slot, hopefully one day you'll be able to make one for me. I don't mind if it just plays gamate, in fact I'd prefer it. Ive been trying forever to find someone who could add a composite video out on a console. :p

#104559 - 03/17/16 02:37 AM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: kevtris]  
Robbbert Offline
Very Senior Member
Robbbert  Offline
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted By kevtris

and have a game.com already and a lynx that are going to get the same RE treatment.

I'd be very interested in what you come up with for the game.com

#104560 - 03/17/16 02:46 AM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: Anna Wu]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
Duke: Nice work. That driver really needed a good modernization, never mind the licensing smile

Kevtris: good luck with the game.com, I'd love to see that thing fully working.

#104561 - 03/17/16 03:23 AM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: Anna Wu]  
kevtris Offline
kevtris  Offline

I guess I could ask here and save time... what's the state of game.com? does it work? or is there a bunch of bugs or something? I have the data sheet for the CPU in it and fully reverse engineered the hardware (i.e. pinned out the cartridge socket, the system, all connectors).

I know there was an emulator written back in the day for game development, but again not sure how complete that was. It was certainly complete enough to run the games for development I guess.

Having a baseline will help me know what parts to concentrate on.

#104562 - 03/17/16 03:59 AM Re: SVN builds - new driver flood [Re: Anna Wu]  
Robbbert Offline
Very Senior Member
Robbbert  Offline
Very Senior Member

Judge did the original work, then I did some after.

The CPU instruction codes are not documented, so Judge did what he could, and I fixed a couple of bugs.

You need to run it in windowed mode (mouse pointer doesn't show up in full screen with standard MAME).

It boots up, everything on the main screen works, use the mouse to click on stuff. The inbuilt solitaire game works too (I've even won it a few times).

Some carts work, such as Lights Out, Wheel of Fortune etc. Frogger is playable with minor bugs. Most other carts have serious issues which I think are related either to misunderstood banking, or CPU problems.

The CPU has 3 types of sound but only the 1-bit DAC is emulated.

As for the other emulator, you can get it (with instructions) from my site. Everything works on it except the sound has the same limitation as MAME, and Jeopardy doesn't work.

http://messui.the-chronicles.org/mess/gamecom.html

Page 464 of 492 1 2 462 463 464 465 466 491 492

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Praxis, Drucifer, judge), 16 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,319
Posts107,561
Members4,734
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014