Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#99951 - 05/28/15 08:24 PM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: Sharkpuncher]  
plgDavid Offline
plgDavid  Offline

Montreal
Originally Posted By Sharkpuncher
now that I look again more closely, were most likely just from the (now defunct) website for the carrier, made to mimic the interface of the unit. Not some sort of actual web interface or anything.

Yes. You will also find emulator screenshots of the games. they come from Videotron themselves who had emulators for their own developers. If I understand correctly.

Last edited by plgDavid; 05/29/15 12:33 AM.
#99954 - 05/29/15 01:22 AM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: plgDavid]  
plgDavid Offline
plgDavid  Offline

Montreal
Part 7) In system reverse-engineering.

Love that part! Its the part that wakes up the real sleuth. No more guess work, lets see (with modern tools) what this thing is doing in real time!

This particular test is done to trace the instructions executed on the hardware itself. What you do is you place Logic Analyzer probes on the address pins of the EPROM (A0 to A13, and also on its !OE pin)
Sadly I only have a 16pin LA right now, so I could only spare ONE extra pin that used on the CPU's A15. Would have loved more but this will do.

You then decode this to a series of addresses reads:

FFFE
FFFF ; reads the RESET vector

4011 ; LDA #$C3
(...) ; same as emu, no branch anyway

loopstart:

4026 ; LDB $F892
4029 ; ANDB #$40
402a
402b ; BEQ $4026
402c

402a
402b
402c

402a
402b
402c

402d ; loop is done, was done exactly 3 times.
402e
(...)

Remember the MAME debugger screenshot from earlier?
You can step in the initialization phase (and more) and see which branches the real device takes, and compare that to the steps taken by your emulators. This tells you a whole lots about everything! But to know everything I would need a 200 pin LA streaming live to my PC. no such thing exists.

Last edited by plgDavid; 05/29/15 01:33 AM.
#99986 - 05/30/15 02:30 PM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: plgDavid]  
plgDavid Offline
plgDavid  Offline

Montreal
Part 8) Figuring out the exact address space (ROM)

People working in the Arcade repair business do it quite a lot. They replace the board's CPU by an In-Circuit Emulator, usually a commercial product, the oldest and most trusted of these being the good old Fluke 9010A.

These machines are somewhat expensive, and well (not invented here). So for all my research I've made my own and I can drive any old computer bus from the "comfort of my own PC" (YES!). I've done this for TMS52XX's and Z80's mostly (and lots of things I cant say) and making a 6809E was just a matter of some signal reprogramming and pinout matching..

Ugly but works.

You may wonder what can I do with this?
Well it allows me to read and write single bytes or blocks of data visible to the - now removed - 6809.

This is the perfect tool to figure out the address space of the system: Exactly how the RAM/ROM and special devices are mapped, especially when its not just a matter of tracing a chain of 74LS138's but when a big proprietary chip does all the address decoding which is the case for the Videoway 100pin QFP LSI, which I'll call VideoBob from now on.

However there was a problem, all my reads were wonky with lots of bad bits. I _kind of_ figured out the memory map just by "bit density", but I needed something better. Upon boot, VideoBob has a mind of its own and doesn't let the CPU access the bus at will unless we tell it to. Which is of course the first line in the firmware!

A quick write to $F88D with a value of C3 has opened up the door, and let me get a clean read of the address space.

Saving all memory from 0 to FFFF gave me this

0000:0FFF Junk... RAM?
1000:3FFF Firmware [1000;3FFF] (Partial)
4000:7FFF Firmware [0000;3FFF] (Complete)
8000:F7FF Junk... RAM?
F800:F87F FF's
F880:F8FF Junk... well in fact VideoBob's lair.
F900:FFFF Firmware [3900:3FFF] (Partial, but enough for IRQ/RESET vectors)

So there are 3 spots with chunks of the main firmware. [1000:3FFF] seems like a perfectly good waste of space to me... unless its banked with RAM somehow?

More later

Last edited by plgDavid; 05/30/15 02:52 PM.
#99987 - 05/30/15 03:12 PM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: plgDavid]  
plgDavid Offline
plgDavid  Offline

Montreal
Part 9) Figuring out the exact address space (RAM, more)

We know where the main ROM is visible, now what about the RAM and VideoBob?

Usually you would just write a few patterns here and there, read back and check if parts of what you wrote are copies of what you wrote previously, or if its there at all.

OK, but what do you write? AA$,55$,0,1,2,3,4...FF?
That is boring! What about ... Literature?!

I went to the Gutenberg project, took the first text I found, and WROTE it in the device memory. I used "LE GRAND MEAULNES" by Alain-Fournier.

You can't be fooled by literature much. It doesn't contain blatant word/page synced data!

TOP: Original, Bottom what I read back.

SO!

0000:0FFF UNIQUE RAM (same text and offset as source)

8000:F7FF UNIQUE RAM (same text and offset as source)

F800:F87F FF's (unmapped ...probably)

F880:F88F Weird combination of Read Only and R/W ... VideoBOB!

This means there is a minimum of $8800 (34816 Bytes) of RAM in there.
(possibly more paged)... but this HY6264 only contains $2000 (8KiB)??

I double checked and the HY6264's VCC is not tied to normal VCC but to a lithium battery. Maybe this is the so called "Option Table" from the Patent?

... In any case its probably only seen from VideoBob as its !WR line doesn't budge through writing the entire address space.

So this means either there is more than 32KiB of RAM on VideoBob?.
Or the CPU ram is shared with the Video Ram? A mix of the two?

Last edited by plgDavid; 05/30/15 03:17 PM.
#99988 - 05/30/15 03:17 PM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: plgDavid]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
Very nice. Of course, it's possible the 6264 is banked in somewhere if you give the right VideoBob register the right poke. Or it could be behind an address/data set of registers like VRAM on the SNES.

ETA; this is about the part where I'd find the boot strings and use IDA Pro's cross-referencer to find the code that prints them smile

Last edited by R. Belmont; 05/30/15 03:31 PM.
#99990 - 05/30/15 06:30 PM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: R. Belmont]  
plgDavid Offline
plgDavid  Offline

Montreal
Originally Posted By R. Belmont

ETA; this is about the part where I'd find the boot strings and use IDA Pro's cross-referencer to find the code that prints them smile

Yes I'm about to catch up on that. Also to experiment random poking on VideoBob! Already found stuff like background/border color registers.

Last edited by plgDavid; 05/30/15 06:31 PM.
#99991 - 05/30/15 08:21 PM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: plgDavid]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
A few other questions as long as you have an ICE:

- Does writing values other than 0xC3 to 0xF88D do anything interesting? The binary 11000011 pattern makes me think it's just a magic constant, but it'd be interesting if the individual bits did something.
- Does the bus lock itself again after a certain amount of time? I noticed the disassembled program re-writes the 0xC3 unlock several times.

#99997 - 05/31/15 03:34 PM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: plgDavid]  
plgDavid Offline
plgDavid  Offline

Montreal
F88D seems to start one or more timers, matter of fact for my current setup setting to 0 helps matters. (as timers screw my "brute force" bus read write)

Note I need to upgrade my "ICE" to something that actually follows the 6809 bus conventions regarding E/Q clock timing.

More later.

Last edited by plgDavid; 05/31/15 03:36 PM.
#107441 - 09/27/16 06:50 PM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: plgDavid]  
SkinnyV Offline
SkinnyV  Offline

Montréal, Canada
Any new progress? I too have been desperatly wanting to have the Videoway cable box emulated but always got stumped by the innexistance of any software dump. I spent a lot of time thinking about how we could get copy of the game or software so an emulator could be developped and my best guest would be some kind of teletext/videotext data stream was used to transfer the code to the videoway RAM but it seem no one ever tried to capture the stream while the system was still up. If we are lucky, we might be able to extract the data from a VHS recording like some already speculated but it's a long shot. I doubt that it was transfered cosntantly like teletext were, it would be too much data. Plus, the game had to load when you would select them from the menu. Our best bet if this kind of signal decoding was possible would be this recording of gameplay from Temporal Inc. Contrary to other gameplay recording, the recording capture the user selecting the game from the menu and also the loading process so if the data was within the reach of the video recorder, we might get something out of it. The guy who uploaded the video is the one that did the PC remake of Temporel Inc and he used the VHS recording of his brother playing to do his remake so I'm sure the tape might be accessible if needed. You can check ou the video I'm refering ot here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjNg-di_F_U

Other than this, I think it'll take short of a miracle for us to get our hands on any Videoway code.
I spent some time researching the peoples who worked on the Videoway during that time and from what I have gathered, only Videotron and Lotto Quebec were responsible for developping the software for the Videoway. I have personnaly spoke with Rob Sleath, the programmer of the original version of the game Styx for the MSX while he was working at Windmills Studio and asked him a few questions about the Videoway port and it turn out that Videotron only bought the right to the game and had the Videoway port of the game programmed in-house by the Videotron staff. It was a bummer since, if somebody still had the original software and be willing to share it with us, it would be him considering he had already released source code to several of it's old game from the time.

Next I was able to track back several Videoway developper of that era and tried to get in contact with them to get more information. I won't specify name just so they don't start gettign regularly bothered. Out of 6 or 7 ex-videoway employee, only one got back to me and was willing to let me ask a few technical questions. This turned out to be also a dead end as the person in question was apparently not working on any of the games but was developping software thad had to do with the cable box communication with the server head for interactive service. I explained that many peoples would like to try to emulate the old system for nostalgia and historical purpose and showed that thread as an example. The person politely stopped communication abruptly when I asked if they knew anyone that might have kept some of their old videoway software (as programmer often keep copy of their work for posterity) stating that any videoway technical information or code is still the intelectual property of Videotron and that they would never share or divulge any of it. None of the other software developper who worked for the Videoway department got back to me and I suspect that most of them would react the same way considering that all of them still seem to be active and are currently working in the field. I'm hoping that we might be lucky someday and one of them will release the code annonimously or they will retire and won't be as nervous sharing that information with the internet. Or maybe a current employe will find them on an old Videotron and throw us a bone:)

I guess that leave us trying to see with the people who developped some of the game for Lotto Quebec as Temporel Inc. seem to have been developped by them for some reasons.

Last edited by SkinnyV; 09/27/16 07:08 PM.
#107442 - 09/27/16 07:03 PM Re: The Vidéoway emulation thread [Re: plgDavid]  
plgDavid Offline
plgDavid  Offline

Montreal
I suspect these guys signed a very deep confidentiality agreement as I tried the same thing with two ex Videoway gamedevs with the same results.

My driver is currently out of date with the current MAME classes (most probably). I would need to brush off on it, funny as I was just thinking of this last week.

I have dumped a boot trace of the device up till the point in shows the "cannot connect" window, so there might be something we can do.
I can also bus pirate the thing to figure out how it works more, but short of homebrews, it is somewhat pointless. Getting access to at LEAST one dump might raise my interest up smile

Last edited by plgDavid; 09/27/16 07:04 PM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Pernod, 1 invisible), 24 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,456
Posts109,747
Members4,768
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014