Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108332 - 01/04/17 02:32 AM Rom Names sometimes missing on output  
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Warlock Offline
Member
Warlock  Offline
Member

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
I am using a third party utility, Led Blinky, to illuminate the switches on my machine. It relies on the Mame outputs to determine which switches to illuminate. This feature works for many of the Roms such as PACMAN, QIZ, STARGATE, JOUST but does not work for some of the ROMS including Millipede, centipede, missile command, and tempest. For the working ROMS the output(0) is the name of the rom. For the non-working the output(0) is set to "___EMPTY".

Any suggestions on how to get the ROM name to output correctly? I am using the latest build, 0.181.

Thanks in Advance,
Robert Cook

#108336 - 01/04/17 02:04 PM Re: Rom Names sometimes missing on output [Re: Warlock]  
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 50
AJR Offline
Member
AJR  Offline
Member

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 50
It sounds like whatever you're using doesn't support analog input types. (Missile Command, Centipede and Millipede use trackballs; Tempest uses a spinner.)

#108337 - 01/04/17 02:10 PM Re: Rom Names sometimes missing on output [Re: Warlock]  
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,733
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,733
USA
I think there's a newer version of LED Blinky that's required to cooperate with current MAME.

#108338 - 01/04/17 03:59 PM Re: Rom Names sometimes missing on output [Re: Warlock]  
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Warlock Offline
Member
Warlock  Offline
Member

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
I am using the current version of Mame (0.181) and the current version of LEDBlinky (6.4). There is a utility called Mame Output Test that I used to determine that those titles did not output their names. The games play fine. I have both a spinner and a trackball correctly configured for those games and they work well.

Another game that does NOT work is ms-pacman. It does not use a spinner or trackball.

Thanks Again for any help.

Last edited by Warlock; 01/04/17 07:53 PM.
#108347 - 01/05/17 04:43 AM Re: Rom Names sometimes missing on output [Re: Warlock]  
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Warlock Offline
Member
Warlock  Offline
Member

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
I finally figured it out. For the games that were not working, they had their own Game Specific INI files. In those INI files, the parameter for OSD output options was set to Auto. In order to work it needed to be set to windows.

#108349 - 01/05/17 08:10 AM Re: Rom Names sometimes missing on output [Re: Warlock]  
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,334
Robbbert Offline
Very Senior Member
Robbbert  Offline
Very Senior Member

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,334
Sounds like something that could be added to the wiki.

#108350 - 01/05/17 08:44 AM Re: Rom Names sometimes missing on output [Re: Warlock]  
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,849
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,849
Sydney, Australia
What? That per-game settings override global settings? I'm pretty sure that's already documented.

#108351 - 01/05/17 11:28 AM Re: Rom Names sometimes missing on output [Re: Warlock]  
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,334
Robbbert Offline
Very Senior Member
Robbbert  Offline
Very Senior Member

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,334
Sheesh.

Quote:
the parameter for OSD output options was set to Auto. In order to work it needed to be set to windows.


This.

#108352 - 01/05/17 02:15 PM Re: Rom Names sometimes missing on output [Re: Warlock]  
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,733
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,733
USA
That's definitely going to change at some point. The Windows supremacy of the output system has never sat well with me.

#108355 - 01/06/17 01:32 AM Re: Rom Names sometimes missing on output [Re: Robbbert]  
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,849
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,849
Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By Robbbert
Sheesh.

Quote:
the parameter for OSD output options was set to Auto. In order to work it needed to be set to windows.


This.


It only needs to be set to "windows" if you're using a legacy program that needs it. The issue is that he had it set to "windows" in his global ini files, but was overriding it with "auto" in per-game ini files. There's nothing to be documented.


Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 17 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,425
Posts109,185
Members4,759
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.036s Queries: 14 (0.017s) Memory: 5.0041 MB (Peak: 5.2280 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-10-17 05:54:49 UTC