Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#109187 - 03/18/17 12:36 PM Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug  
fhub Offline
fhub  Offline

Hi,

I'm trying to fix an annoying bug in MESS/MESSUI, which exists already since years:
Setting 'Options > Maximum Speed' to 50% in the module menu does not work -
it actually sets the speed to Unlimited!

I've found the token ID_THROTTLE_50 in the sources where it calls the command
set_speed(window->machine(), 500), and the corresponding entry in the module's ini-file
is "speed" with a value of 0.5 - but as already said, it's not working.

I've already experimented with these values and found that 670 (or 0.67 in the ini-file)
is the lowest value which still works, 660 (or 0.66) and lower values fail.

So far I couldn't find anything in the source files which would explain this strange problem
(and I've already checked lots of source files!) - so here's my question:
Has any of the MAME/MESS developers any idea what could cause this problem, or which
source file could be the reason for it?

Thanks,
Franz

#109188 - 03/18/17 01:04 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
When are you going to stop violating the GPL by distributing modified binaries without accompanying source?

#109189 - 03/18/17 01:44 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: Vas Crabb]  
fhub Offline
fhub  Offline

Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
When are you going to stop violating the GPL by distributing modified binaries without accompanying source?

Today! smile

#109191 - 03/18/17 02:00 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
Just Desserts Offline
Very Senior Member
Just Desserts  Offline
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by fhub
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb

Today! smile

That's great! wink

But in all seriousness, what's the best way to reproduce the bug you're describing, in discrete, step-by-step terms (imagine telling a Chess grandmaster how to win a match)? I could maybe look into it if I can actually reproduce the bug. No guarantees. smile

#109192 - 03/18/17 02:14 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: Just Desserts]  
fhub Offline
fhub  Offline

Originally Posted by Just Desserts

But in all seriousness, what's the best way to reproduce the bug you're describing, in discrete, step-by-step terms (imagine telling a Chess grandmaster how to win a match)? I could maybe look into it if I can actually reproduce the bug. No guarantees. smile

Well, in principle you could test it with any chess engine implemented in MAME/MESS, but one quick and easy way is to take the module 'Chess Traveller' (driver 'chesstrv'), and I'm talking about Robbbert's MESSUI version, because this is what I usually use:

1) start this module 'chesstrv'
2) on the PC keyboard press <L> <6> <Enter> (this sets it to a higher level 6 for longer thinking times)
3) now pressing <Enter> again the chess module starts thinking:
with the default speed (i.e. 100%) it takes around 45-50 sec until it returns its move,
but when setting the speed to 50% (in the module's Options menu) the move comes already after 1-2 sec!

Exactly the same problem happens when I manually edit the "speed" setting in the chesstrv.ini file:
values>=0.67 work, but values<=0.66 fail (i.e. behave like 'unlimited' speed).

Last edited by fhub; 03/18/17 02:15 PM.
#109193 - 03/18/17 03:19 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
hap Offline
hap  Offline

Hi Franz, I hope we can finally resolve the CB-Emu license problem.

As for your question: MESSUI is an old fork of MAME that's barely kept alive by 1 developer. Most MAME developers(including myself) have no technical know-how of this program. Since your problem is UI-specific, you can try asking on the MESSUI forum: http://www.1emulation.com/forums/forum/125-messui/ or send a private message to the MESSUI developer here: http://forums.bannister.org//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=490

#109195 - 03/18/17 04:27 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: hap]  
fhub Offline
fhub  Offline

Originally Posted by hap

Well, that depends on what is expected from me:
if it's enough that I don't publish new versions anymore, then yes -
if anyone expects that I should still publish my sources, then definitely no.

As for your question: MESSUI is an old fork of MAME that's barely kept alive by 1 developer.
Since your problem is UI-specific, you can try asking on the MESSUI forum

I know that this problem only happens for the versions of Robbbert's fork (BTW for all three,
MESS, MESSUI and MAMEUI), but I simply prefer the UI-versions, because they just look
and are usable like all other Windows programs, whereas MAME (without UI) looks rather
like an old-fashioned DOS program.
As for asking in the other forum: well, I don't want to join another forum just for asking about
this single bug/problem - I'm already member of so many forums.
And Robbbert is reading here (he was even active when I've started this thread), and I'm sure
he will certainly read a thread with 'MESSUI' in the title.
And I'm also sure he will be interested to look at (and fix) this problem, since MESSUI is his baby! wink

Franz

#109196 - 03/18/17 04:36 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Haze  Offline
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by fhub
Originally Posted by hap

Well, that depends on what is expected from me:
if it's enough that I don't publish new versions anymore, then yes -
if anyone expects that I should still publish my sources, then definitely no.

can somebody on MAMEDEV please just begin the legal process against this guy?

there is a legal obligation for him to publish the sources for any binary that has been distributed anywhere (which unless I'm misundertanding has not been done). not only like that, but the sheer cheek of asking for support and help fixing bugs while simultaneously refusing to cooperate or give anything back is beyond any words I have, why should ANYBODY help here?

#109197 - 03/18/17 04:47 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
hap Offline
hap  Offline

Defending copyrights is the responsibility of the copyright holder, eg. me. I've nagged him plenty about it, but I'm not going to take legal action or throw empty threats about suing him. smile

Franz if you want to solve the license problem by running away, that will only work if you stop distribution of older versions of CB-Emu as well.

#109198 - 03/18/17 04:48 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: hap]  
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Haze  Offline
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by hap
Defending copyrights is the responsibility of the copyright holder, eg. me. I've nagged him plenty about it, but I'm not going to take legal action or throw empty threats about suing him. smile

Franz if you want to solve the license problem by running away, that will only work if you stop distribution of older versions of CB-Emu as well.

Well he should at least be banned from posting here, he's a complete waste of oxygen. This kind of abuse of MAME (and let's not call it anything less) really pisses me off and sets the wrong example for everybody.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Golden Child, plgDavid), 31 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,426
Posts109,198
Members4,759
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014