Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#109210 - 03/18/17 11:47 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
I'd suggest going ahead and just making your own mboard then. Have a device ROM for it with a sprite sheet in some chosen format (may as well be 24 BPP these days), and do whatever you need to to synch it.

#109214 - 03/19/17 01:03 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
hap Offline
hap  Offline

If I could find myself willing to rewrite mboard.c, I would, but it's much too hacky for my taste. I'd rather have a more generic boardgame input overlay, one for all electronic boardgames.

#109217 - 03/19/17 02:46 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
fhub Offline
fhub  Offline

Originally Posted by fhub

Has any of the MAME/MESS developers any idea what could cause this problem, or which
source file could be the reason for it?

Problem fixed - I've found the solution by myself!

BTW, thanks for calling me a 'parasite'!
I've certainly spent much more than 1000 hours in the last years with improving the chess emulations
of MAME/MESS by adding support for chess pieces, and (different to a 'parasite') got NOTHING in return -
without these improvement the chess emulations would be in fact useless for any chess player.

And don't repeat again and again, that I'm obliged to publish my sources - I've released one of my source files
a few months ago on request of a MAME developer, and this was the result:
it has been included in the MAME sources (with lots of absolutely use- and senseless modifications), but has
been removed again already 2 or 3 days later - reason: "not the method we would want to use in MAME".

So why the hell should I publish my source code if it's not convenient at all for MAME (resp. for its developer)?
No need to answer this rhetorical question, because I'm now definitely leaving this 'friendly' forum ...

Franz

#109222 - 03/19/17 11:26 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
Darkstar Offline
Darkstar  Offline

GERMANY
So why the hell should I publish my source code if it's not convenient at all for MAME (resp. for its developer)?

Hello Franz,

I don't know if it's the language barrier or if you really don't understand this. The GPL is nothing new, really, and I have a hard time believing that some developer today doesn't know the basic principles of how it works.

Basically, when you take code that is licensed under the GPL license, modify it, and then upload/share/provide binaries of your modified source, you are required to release the source code to your modifications. This has nothing to do with any developers, whether they like you or not, nor with the fact that your code was or was not included in MAME. It is simply a requirement of the license which you agreed to when you took the code and modified it.

People are unfriendly towards you simply because you took their source code and used it in a way which is not allowed by its license.

I'm willing to discuss this with you in German if you want (I'm assuming you speak German judging by your name) to help clear this up.

#109223 - 03/20/17 12:04 AM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
GPL has specifically been upheld by German courts, too, IIRC.

#109224 - 03/20/17 12:37 AM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
hap Offline
hap  Offline

He's Austrian by the way, and good at English. The license issue was brought up by a user on the schachcomputer forums too, so it's not a language barrier. If you corner him, he'll either turn the table around and go into victim mode as seen above, or will state that he disagrees with copyright laws.

#109226 - 03/20/17 11:02 AM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
Olivier Galibert Offline
Olivier Galibert  Offline

somewhere else entirely

BTW, thanks for calling me a 'parasite'!
I've certainly spent much more than 1000 hours in the last years with improving the chess emulations
of MAME/MESS by adding support for chess pieces, and (different to a 'parasite') got NOTHING in return -
without these improvement the chess emulations would be in fact useless for any chess player.

I've spent way more than that in the last 20 years and I got nothing material in return either, and without my work (and the work of others), the chess emulations wouldn't exist. And I release my sources. So yeah, you're a parasite, and proud of it as far as I can say.

OG.

#109227 - 03/20/17 01:23 PM Re: Trying to fix a MESS/MESSUI bug [Re: fhub]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
Ditto. I've spent thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars advancing MAME over the last 20 years, including extensive work on the 68000 family which I know the chess computers use. And I release my sources.

I don't think it's principle with this guy, I think he's ashamed of his work.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Reznor007, ssj, Golden Child, plgDavid), 32 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,426
Posts109,198
Members4,759
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014