Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#109231 - 03/22/17 10:33 AM NES under SDLMAME - problem with placing BIOS  
czezz Offline
czezz  Offline

Poland/Warsaw
SDLMAME 0.183 on Ubuntu 16.04

I want to play NES games on MAME (if I correctly understand MESS was merged to MAME sometime ago).

Questions:
1. If I remember correctly I should use SNES BIOS as it also includes NES BIOS (nss.zip) - correct?
2. I have created bios dir under: $HOME/mame/bios/ and I put SNES/NES BIOS there. However, nes games are not recognized. What Im doing wrong?

I have also tried:
- uncompress this file in BIOS dir
- put zipped and uncompressed BIOS file into roms dir
- add following line in $HOME/.mame/mame.ini: biospath $HOME/mame/bios

Can anyone help please?

Last edited by czezz; 03/22/17 10:43 AM.
#109232 - 03/22/17 11:42 AM Re: NES under SDLMAME - problem with placing BIOS [Re: czezz]  
qmc2 Offline
qmc2  Offline

Very Senior Member

Germany
AFAICT, the NES doesn't require any ROMs itself. It's all contained in the cartridges.

Also, there's no "biospath" setting. All ROMs have to be part of the "rompath".

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
#109233 - 03/22/17 01:33 PM Re: NES under SDLMAME - problem with placing BIOS [Re: czezz]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
NES has no BIOS. How are your NES games not recognized? "mame64 nes -cart /path/to/game/Castlevania.nes" should work fine.

#109234 - 03/22/17 07:54 PM Re: NES under SDLMAME - problem with placing BIOS [Re: R. Belmont]  
czezz Offline
czezz  Offline

Poland/Warsaw
Hey,
yes indeed, if I run NES game from command line, follow your example it works smile
Code
mame nes -cart mame/roms/Hudson\'s\ Adventure\ Island\ -\ Classic\ in\ the\ Pacific\ \(Europe\).nes

While game is started there is a message that video emulation isnt 100% accurate - which is not a problem at all for me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/umcoo30szuk0lxm/mame.png?dl=0

However, is there any way to see this title inside MameUI? When I select "Working" it displays one other title but not the one for NES
https://www.dropbox.com/s/73ju7dic1di2sbq/mameui.png?dl=0

#109235 - 03/22/17 11:20 PM Re: NES under SDLMAME - problem with placing BIOS [Re: czezz]  
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Haze  Offline
Very Senior Member

as the NES is a console with cartridge media you have to select 'Nintendo Entertainment System' from the main list

then you'll get the Software List details up, where you can select the cartridge. However the Software List stuff uses a traditional MAME design system of per-chip dumps that need to be in a correctly named zip, so won't run loose '.nes' files.

As the NES *requires* a cart to boot I don't think it's a case where you can boot the system cartless and use the file manager from the GUI either.

So the answer to your question is 'kinda' ;-)

The generally recommended way is to use the Software List as the team is pro-preservation and it ensures things are preserved in their original form, however in reality the GUI could probably be improved for this use case.

#109236 - 03/23/17 12:56 AM Re: NES under SDLMAME - problem with placing BIOS [Re: czezz]  
B2K24 Offline
B2K24  Offline

The File Manager is automatically enabled if you boot nes without a cart. You simply arrow down to cartridge (cart), press enter, then you're able to choose software list or select any location to a .nes file and it will load as long as the mapper or certain compatibility criteria is met.

Software Lists are the superior option though.

#109237 - 03/23/17 12:46 PM Re: NES under SDLMAME - problem with placing BIOS [Re: B2K24]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by B2K24
The File Manager is automatically enabled if you boot nes without a cart. You simply arrow down to cartridge (cart), press enter, then you're able to choose software list or select any location to a .nes file and it will load as long as the mapper or certain compatibility criteria is met.

Not if you try to launch from the internal UI - it will make you choose something from the softlist before starting the system. The behaviour your'e describing happens when you run "mame nes" from the command line.

#109245 - 03/23/17 08:09 PM Re: NES under SDLMAME - problem with placing BIOS [Re: Vas Crabb]  
czezz Offline
czezz  Offline

Poland/Warsaw
Hey guys,
thanks for help.

The solution for me is command line example that R. Belmont provided:
Code
mame nes -cart /path/to/the/roms/[i]game[/i].nes

To the person I was installing MAME I have created .bat file.
From the user point of view, I think it would be probably better to see in UI what’s available in /roms DIR, no matter what platform the game is from. But that’s just user point of view wink

Thanks again for help.

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (seanriddle, rbramante, AJR, Praxis), 17 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,362
Posts108,062
Members4,748
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014