Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#109381 - 04/17/17 05:54 AM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: ssj]  
ssj Offline
ssj  Offline

Since it seems this restriction is now forced by design and isn't a regression after all which means we will be stuck with jurassic filenames forever if one wants to use softlists, I wonder if there is any way to set the mappers through a lua script instead? Doesn't seem possible, but just wanted to be sure.

#109382 - 04/17/17 11:32 AM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: ssj]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
16 characters is actually pretty non-Jurassic. It used to be 8.3 :P

#109383 - 04/17/17 11:52 AM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: ssj]  
ssj Offline
ssj  Offline

That's a good point, I guess things could even be made worse smile

#109399 - 04/19/17 11:47 PM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: ssj]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
The set name is supposed to be a unique identifier that's easy to type on any Latin keyboard and won't get mangled by any common shells. If it's made excessively long it becomes a pain to type repeatedly. Anything other than letters and numbers is fair game for shells, e.g. most UNIX shells use parentheses for subshell expression, angle brackets for redirection, backslash for escape, braces for list comprehension, space for argument separator, asterisk/question mark/square brackets for globbing, semicolon for command separator, dollar sign for variable substitution, exclamation mark for history substitution, percent sign for job control and more. Anything other than basic English alphanumeric characters is potentially hard/impossible to type depending on the keyboard layout, e.g. you have to resort to AltGr on a German keyboard to get a lot of punctuation that's easily accessed on a US keyboard. Allowing uppercase would make for a situation where you could get confusingly similar set names and effectively require a case-sensitive filesystem, making life hard for Windows/Mac users. Speaking of which, different filesystems have different rules about allowable filename characters, too. We're already pushing it by allowing underscores - if you plug an ANSI keyboard into a Japanese system, you can't type an underscore because the key isn't present (a JIS keyboard has an extra \_ key between /? and right shift). Relaxing the rules on set names further would cause a lot of trouble. It's not supposed to be the friendly, human-readable name - that's what description/fullname is for.

#109400 - 04/20/17 04:17 AM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: ssj]  
ssj Offline
ssj  Offline

I understand your point, even though these days almost no one uses command line to launch games anyway, and it's perfectly valid for the official set names for the reasons you refer, but for custom names I don't see why those characters shouldn't be allowed. If you are worried someone could screw up on official set names this could be easily validated with a test case. Punctuation and the likes definitely aren't needed, but at least ASCII support like most other sets do (No-Intro, TOSEC, Redump, etc.) would definitely be very welcome even if not allowed on official set names.
This recent change that went unnoticed for me (don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere) ended up breaking a lot of my launching scripts for some systems which now won't work on recent MAME versions.

Personally I like to look at my roms and be able to understand what game each file refers to, I dislike the MAME naming schema for being so limiting, but that's a whole different story smile

#109401 - 04/20/17 08:27 AM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: ssj]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by ssj
I understand your point, even though these days almost no one uses command line to launch games anyway, and it's perfectly valid for the official set names for the reasons you refer, but for custom names I don't see why those characters shouldn't be allowed.

You're completely ignoring a very important group: MAME developers, who very much do use the command line all the time. Most users launch games from a front-end, which displays the friendly names and doesn't show the set names anyway. And as soon as something is allowed, it will be abused. If there's no validation rule to prevent problematic characters, they will creep in via pull requests or careless developers. As it is we have people committing things that don't validate with the rules there.

Originally Posted by ssj
If you are worried someone could screw up on official set names this could be easily validated with a test case. Punctuation and the likes definitely aren't needed, but at least ASCII support like most other sets do (No-Intro, TOSEC, Redump, etc.) would definitely be very welcome even if not allowed on official set names.

Hang on, you're saying punctuation aren't needed, but the only ASCII characters we disallow are punctuation and control characters. You can't seriously be saying that you want control characters in set names.

#109403 - 04/20/17 09:41 AM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: ssj]  
Darkstar Offline
Darkstar  Offline

GERMANY
It would probably be possible to have MAME search the description for a match if no perfect match is found in the set name, before it starts fuzzy matching. That way you could launch games by their description as well.

#109404 - 04/20/17 11:19 AM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: Vas Crabb]  
ssj Offline
ssj  Offline

Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
Hang on, you're saying punctuation aren't needed, but the only ASCII characters we disallow are punctuation and control characters. You can't seriously be saying that you want control characters in set names.

The space character isn't allowed which is my main issue here, also not sure if parenthesis are allowed or not ended up not testing it with parenthesis and without spaces when I realized this wasn't a regression after all.

Darkstar's idea could work too.

#109405 - 04/20/17 11:32 AM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: ssj]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Spaces are punctuation, used in some languages to punctuate words. Other languages like Chinese and Japanese don't use spaces the same way, and historically Latin and Greek didn't punctuate words with spaces either. Parentheses are punctuation, too.

#109406 - 04/20/17 11:42 AM Re: Gameboy Mappers from CLI [Re: ssj]  
ssj Offline
ssj  Offline

I meant characters with accents not punctuation sorry, sometimes not being a native English speaker causes these messups.

Wouldn't Darkstar's idea be a good solution for this though? Not seeing any drawback on it at first glance.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (rbramante, AJR, Praxis), 18 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,362
Posts108,062
Members4,748
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014