Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#109816 - 06/06/17 01:23 AM Categorizing the machine list? And other questions  
Asterra Offline
Asterra  Offline

I actually have several different things I've been scratching my head over, but I'd better start with:

1. Right now, QMC2's machine list shows all the arcade games, right along with a bunch of non-arcade things like Amiga computers and CD-I. I mean, fair enough, the bios files for those systems go in the "roms" directory along with the actual arcade games, but it does make for a cluttered list. I can't pick a random title and fully expect it to be an arcade game. I have to imagine that there is a way (perhaps an easy way) to force the app to list only actual arcade games, or to provide them all in a single sub-category, the way rom revisions are sub-categorized in Hierarchical view. What did I miss?

2. Likewise, it doesn't seem to me that there's any solid purpose in having the machine list display "machines" that are just devices that cannot even be ran, so I hope there's a way to filter for that.

3. Let's say I want to take advantage of MESS for things besides arcade games. The Amiga 500, for example. And I have a library of games for it, tucked away in a directory called amiga_flop. For one thing, how do I get QMC2 to run the Amiga 500 machine with a disk image of my choosing? There doesn't seem to be a way to specify things like this via the machine list, so how is it done? Meanwhile, I don't know where to put the amiga_flop directory so that QMC2 will locate it by default. Maybe there isn't a default. I don't know.

4. Is there an option to run a game picked at random by QMC2?

I'd better leave it at that. Thanks in advance!

#109877 - 06/11/17 07:31 PM Re: Categorizing the machine list? And other questions [Re: Asterra]  
qmc2 Offline
qmc2  Offline

Very Senior Member

Germany
1. You've missed nothing. But just as in MAME itself, a machine is a machine, no matter what type of machine. However, there is support for categories (and versions) through "catver.ini" and our own "category.ini" (contains only systems from a MESS build) which you can enable to get category-information. Note, though, that the categorization is "subjective" in parts and may not always fit your expectations. It is also not related to the MAME team in any way.

You can't actually "filter" by categories at the moment, but I'm also working on a feature addition that will make this possible in the future. No promises implied as to when this will be completed smile.

2. Devices (and BIOS sets) can be hidden - see wiki

3. Make yourself a "MESS build" and point QMC2 to it, and voila.

4. There's a "demo mode" which will start systems randomly (for a certain amount of time, using "-str <seconds>" on the MAME command line), but that's probably not exactly what you mean...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
#109881 - 06/12/17 10:48 PM Re: Categorizing the machine list? And other questions [Re: qmc2]  
Asterra Offline
Asterra  Offline

Originally Posted by qmc2
3. Make yourself a "MESS build" and point QMC2 to it, and voila.

I could go for some elaboration on this point. Google doesn't help. It sort of sounds like the suggestion is to tweak the Mess source to generate a non-arcade-game iteration and then compile that personally. I would regretfully have to admit that I am reliant upon binaries, if that is the case.

#109884 - 06/12/17 11:43 PM Re: Categorizing the machine list? And other questions [Re: Asterra]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
Honestly that's an outdated suggestion. You can play all the computer and console systems in a standard mamedev.org build.

#109885 - 06/13/17 12:22 AM Re: Categorizing the machine list? And other questions [Re: R. Belmont]  
Asterra Offline
Asterra  Offline

Originally Posted by R. Belmont
You can play all the computer and console systems in a standard mamedev.org build.

I took a quick peek. It seems the binaries they offer are the basic all-in-one: arcade plus non-arcade. That's understandable, of course, but it does mean that I can't use what mamedev.org offers to achieve what I'm trying to achieve with QMC2. That is, make some kind of legitimate use of MESS's non-arcade machines. You know, instead of simply pointing QMC2 to the "Amiga 500" and having it run that (which does nothing but boot an empty A500), access a list of the Amiga 500 disk images I have available in a certain directory, all filed under the "A500" category from within QMC2. Or in any event achieve the task of running a specific A500 game, starting from within QMC2.

#109887 - 06/13/17 01:18 AM Re: Categorizing the machine list? And other questions [Re: Asterra]  
MusicLovr Offline
MusicLovr  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by Asterra
You know, instead of simply pointing QMC2 to the "Amiga 500" and having it run that (which does nothing but boot an empty A500), access a list of the Amiga 500 disk images I have available in a certain directory, all filed under the "A500" category from within QMC2. Or in any event achieve the task of running a specific A500 game, starting from within QMC2.

Have you taken a look at the 'File chooser' tab of the 'Device mapping' tab? I think that's what you would want. It lets you load roms into a machine's floppies, and such. It also allows setting the default folder (the little wrench tool at upper right) for a machine's softs, like your a500 stuff. While a500 is selected, goto Device mapping/File chooser, point it at your amiga_flop folder, set it as default, then choose a file.

However, Amiga emulation seems to be 'preliminary'. In general, 'driver status' of 'good' and 'imperfect' work, while 'preliminary' do not. Thus, you might find you can load A500 games, but they crash, after the blue graphics mode screen.

If it's been awhile, you might want to RTFMs. Most of your answers should be found, there:
http://wiki.batcom-it.net/index.php?title=The_%27ultimate%27_guide_to_QMC2 - updated 1 month ago, and
http://docs.mamedev.org/ - updated a year or so ago(?).

Last edited by MusicLovr; 06/13/17 01:21 AM.
#109888 - 06/13/17 01:22 AM Re: Categorizing the machine list? And other questions [Re: Asterra]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
The Amiga 1200 is definitely usable for Workbench applications. The "preliminary" may apply to protected games or something, but I can boot the 1200 from a hard disk or floppies and use Workbench applications fine.

#109889 - 06/13/17 01:36 AM Re: Categorizing the machine list? And other questions [Re: Vas Crabb]  
MusicLovr Offline
MusicLovr  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
The Amiga 1200 is definitely usable for Workbench applications. The "preliminary" may apply to protected games or something, but I can boot the 1200 from a hard disk or floppies and use Workbench applications fine.

I can confirm that the a500 software list roms do, indeed, seem to work. However, I grabbed some a500 game floppies, and they all hang or 'software error'. Perhaps you are correct, about protection? So I guess that with non sl roms, ymmv, on 'preliminary' devices.
Note that these same failing floppy games do work, under fs-uae emulator.

Last edited by MusicLovr; 06/13/17 02:19 AM.
#109891 - 06/13/17 06:39 AM Re: Categorizing the machine list? And other questions [Re: R. Belmont]  
qmc2 Offline
qmc2  Offline

Very Senior Member

Germany
Originally Posted by R. Belmont
Honestly that's an outdated suggestion. You can play all the computer and console systems in a standard mamedev.org build.

Well, I actually didn't read that question to its end, so I misunderstood the intention... my suggestion is not only outdated, it even makes no sense in this case smile.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!

Moderated by  qmc2 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (seanriddle), 18 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,436
Posts109,396
Members4,764
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014