Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#109831 - 06/07/17 05:44 AM probably obvious newbie questions  
animeace Offline
animeace  Offline

I have some newbie questions for MAME I can't seem to find the answer to in the forums.

I have MAME 0.185 up and running and I have a test rom that will load properly and run the "demo" that shows game play and flashes insert coin.

First, I have been all over the control setup (configure options - general inputs - player 1 controls) and for the life of me I cannot figure out how I would bind "insert coin" or "Player 1 start" to my controller in order to start playing. I know i need these options but they are not in the controls listed there.

Second, I know there should be some way to get into a "setup" menu where you can set credits per "coin" and lives per credit, game difficulty, etc. but as above I cannot find the options to access this.

Third, Is there a way to run the emulator windowed? When I run it, it defaults full screen and when I try and try and alt tab to another window i get a fatal error and the program crashes

Finally, Is there any way to "cross reference" the left side options (for instance select both available roms and working roms on the left side so I can see only working available rom sets)?

#109833 - 06/07/17 07:11 AM Re: probably obvious newbie questions [Re: animeace]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by animeace
First, I have been all over the control setup (configure options - general inputs - player 1 controls) and for the life of me I cannot figure out how I would bind "insert coin" or "Player 1 start" to my controller in order to start playing. I know i need these options but they are not in the controls listed there.

First of all, what OS and what kid of controller? That makes a difference. You can find coin/start inputs under "Other Controls" if you want to map them for all games.

Second, I know there should be some way to get into a "setup" menu where you can set credits per "coin" and lives per credit, game difficulty, etc. but as above I cannot find the options to access this.

Some games are configured with DIP switches which you can get to through MAME's in-game menu. Other games have a service mode where you set options, which you may have to enter with a service button (often mapped to F2) or with a DIP switch. Given an specific game, we can probably give a more specific answer, but it really does vary with the game.

Third, Is there a way to run the emulator windowed? When I run it, it defaults full screen and when I try and try and alt tab to another window i get a fatal error and the program crashes

You can run with -window on the command line or "window 1" (without quotes) in your mame.ini file. You can also switch between windowed and full screen with Alt+Enter or Option-Return.

#109837 - 06/07/17 03:40 PM Re: probably obvious newbie questions [Re: Vas Crabb]  
animeace Offline
animeace  Offline

Thanks for the info.

The controller I am using is an armor 3. looks like a ps4 controller. I am running windows 10 for my OS.

I found the coin and start options in "other controls" like you said and they work great now i have them set.

Thanks for the info on the game settings. I'll look for those on a game by game basis as opposed to through the main controls.

As for the windowed part I'm still really confused.

When I hold alt and hit enter in MAME it just loads a selected rom, just as if I had hit enter on it's own. I tried with left and right alt in case it made a difference but same result each time.

Where is the command line / how do i access the command line in MAME? I open the program with a mame64.exe application, but have never seen any command line/command prompt.

After some digging I found the mame.ini file, but there is a lot of text in there. Does it need to go somewhere specific as I see several several sections that look relevant, referring to window video options, window performance, etc.

My last question about cross referencing the left side options wasn't addressed. Does that mean there is no way to filter by more than 1 category?

Last edited by animeace; 06/07/17 03:40 PM.
#109838 - 06/07/17 03:49 PM Re: probably obvious newbie questions [Re: animeace]  
Just Desserts Offline
Very Senior Member
Just Desserts  Offline
Very Senior Member

Where is the command line / how do i access the command line in MAME? I open the program with a mame64.exe application, but have never seen any command line/command prompt.

Vas was not talking about something built into MAME. He was talking about the Windows command line. To learn about that, I suggest Google, as it is outside the scope of MAME support.

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Justin, 1 invisible), 20 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,389
Posts108,532
Members4,750
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014