Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#110532 - 08/06/17 07:34 AM Generic bezel  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
In the past I've created generic (cocktail) bezels for my arcade setup, but I had to add the definition to the horizont.lay and vertical.lay files, and then (re)compile MAME. Is it possible do simply do this from the artwork directory in stead, e.g. by creating a horizont.zip and vertical.zip file containing the artwork and .lay files? If not, would it be possible to add such a feature so people can add their own generic screen definitions?

#110533 - 08/06/17 08:33 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Same answer as every time this comes up - yes an option for fallback artwork would be nice to have, but it isn't implemented at this time. It's on my (very long) TODO list.

#110534 - 08/06/17 08:36 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Sorry, I wasn't aware this had come up before. Would it be helpful if I had a look at implementing it, and provided the code changes?

#110535 - 08/06/17 09:00 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
It's a kind of "here be dragons" thing, especially at the moment with options system in flux. If you do want to try, remember that you have to consider the possibility of multi-screen systems, and not break things by default. You definitely don't want to do something that will cause it to choose an unsuitable view when a person launches an unfamiliar system. Consider Nichibutsu mahjongs with private player LCDs, dual-screen Cave games, punch-out, etc. You need to ensure that whatever you do won't make it easy to cause one of these to come up with important stuff hidden.

#110536 - 08/06/17 10:16 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Thanks for the warnings; you raise valid points here that I'll keep in mind when having a crack at this. I figure that when/if I manage to figure out how best to do it, I can easily do it again on the next code base, and create a patch for the current code. smile

#110561 - 08/09/17 09:01 PM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
I think I'm getting somewhere... smile What I currently have:
- Load explicit file (UNCHANGED)
- Load driver name (UNCHANGED)
- Load parent driver (moved up; e.g. internal neogeo layout had preference over parent artwork)
- Load parent of parent (will find neogeo for clone of neogeo games)
- For single screen: load horizont or vertical
- Load internal default views (UNCHANGED)
- For single screen: load internal horizont or vertical (UNCHANGED)
- If no layout has been found, load internal defaults based on number of screens (0, 2, 3, 4) (UNCHANGED)

As an example: lastblad
- Load lastblad
- Load neogeo
- Load horizont
- Load internal neogeo
- Load internal horizont

As an example: lastbladh
- Load lastbladh
- Load lastblad
- Load neogeo
- Load horizont
- Load internal neogeo
- Load internal horizont

As an example: darius
- Load darius
- Load internal darius

I'll do a lot more testing, but I'm reasonably happy so far. smile

Any remarks/change requests/additional features?

#110563 - 08/10/17 12:29 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
No, that's not at all what I was talking about. Adding an implicit search path is just going to be confusing. It requires additional options:
* Something like -fallback_artwork NAME that will make that artwork get loaded if there is no internal layout for the driver and no external artwork for the driver
* Something like -override_artwork NAME that will force loading specified artwork, overriding internal layout and external artwork for the driver

Then if you want generic artwork for horizontal games as a fallback, you add "fallback_artwork horizontal" to your horizontal.ini (or whatever it's called these days), etc.

#110566 - 08/10/17 06:24 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Ok, no problem. smile So far the changes were intended to make the internal and external artwork selection consistent. I will have a look at adding these options as well. Any other remarks/suggestions?

#110567 - 08/10/17 01:40 PM Re: Generic bezel [Re: Vas Crabb]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb

* Something like -fallback_artwork NAME that will make that artwork get loaded if there is no internal layout for the driver and no external artwork for the driver

In accordance with the current implementation, there's always an internal layout for the driver, assuming no game uses more than 4 screens. It could be a fall back in case no external artwork exists, but the user would need to make sure that the fallback artwork matches the screen setup (number of screens, orientation, etc.), since that information is not directly available in the artwork itself.

Your thoughts?

#110568 - 08/10/17 01:45 PM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
There's a difference between internal layouts for drivers (these come from MCFG_DEFAULT_LAYOUT or GAMEL) and the default layouts for for screen count/orientation.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (nerd4gw), 13 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,453
Posts109,711
Members4,766
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014