Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#110569 - 08/10/17 02:00 PM Re: Generic bezel [Re: Vas Crabb]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
There's a difference between internal layouts for drivers (these come from MCFG_DEFAULT_LAYOUT or GAMEL) and the default layouts for for screen count/orientation.

Ok, then I'll use that as the base for this option. Thanks for the information. smile

Btw: kudos on the well structured code; so far it's been relatively easy to work on this issue.

#110570 - 08/10/17 02:34 PM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
Yeah, structure's been a long time coming to that code, but Vas and Nathan have done great work getting it banged out.

#110579 - 08/11/17 11:26 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: Vas Crabb]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb

* Something like -override_artwork NAME that will force loading specified artwork, overriding internal layout and external artwork for the driver

Should in this case the default internal layouts for horizont/vertical still be loaded as well (if number of screens = 1)?

#110598 - 08/14/17 01:13 PM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
My current status:
- If -override_artwork set: load override artwork, and return when successful
- Load explicit file, return when single file is set (UNCHANGED)
- Load driver name (UNCHANGED)
- Load parent driver (UNCHANGED, but moved up; e.g. internal neogeo layout had preference over parent artwork)
- Load parent of parent (will find neogeo for clone of neogeo games)
- For single screen: load horizont or vertical
- Load internal default views (UNCHANGED)
- If -fallback_artwork set, and no artwork found yet: load fallback artwork
- For single screen: load internal horizont or vertical (UNCHANGED)
- If no layout has been found, load internal defaults based on number of screens (0, 2, 3, 4) (UNCHANGED)

Any thoughts?

#110599 - 08/14/17 01:32 PM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Take out the load horizont or vertical - that's not helpful. If someone wants that kind of behaviour they can specify -fallback_artwork in horizontal.ini or vertical.ini. Consider something like intlc44/intlc440 where you'll lose the switch/LED panel if you do that, rendering it completely unusable. Also, the gamblers (slots/poker) very much benefit from illuminated, clickable buttons. I already said this earlier in the thread. Also, you're probably going to want to make the -fallback_artwork option fall through if it can't find a view that makes all screens visible. Otherwise it's going to render housemnq etc. unplayable.

#110602 - 08/15/17 09:18 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Ok, if horizontal/vertical can be handled via the .ini files that's fine by me. I just wanted the option to have similar behavior for external and internal layouts.

In the current code, none of the artwork checks if the layout matches the game's layout. I understand that you would like to have that added for the fallback artwork though? That will be quite difficult I fear, especially since some games may have multiple screens, but those screens may be meant to be separated to prevent players from seeing the other players' cards/stones/etc. I'm not aware of any flags that would handle this. I will need to give this some serious thoughts, and a list of games that might cause problems would be helpful in that regard, so I can test how each game reacts, and if incorrect see how it can be corrected. I will certainly have a look at the games already mentioned.

#110603 - 08/15/17 09:31 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Also, loading external artwork for parent before loading internal artwork for game will screw up gamblers - often the lamp assignments are different in clones. Internal artwork supplied by driver should be preferred over external artwork for parent. It's very important to ensure it won't do something stupid or surprising in a bad way by default. Software should not be surprising - it should be straightforward. Anything that makes it in any way likely to start in an unusable state is not acceptable.

#110604 - 08/15/17 04:21 PM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Under the conditions you stated though, fallback artwork for e.g. NeoGeo games will never be loaded since there's an internal layout defined for NeoGeo, and fallback artwork should only be loaded when no internal or external artwork is found. Is that what you intend?

#110607 - 08/16/17 12:58 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Well, tell me a way to make it work that won't render systems completely unusable. I don't want to have to be fielding support for this if it's done in a way where the default behaviour makes stuff hard to use.

That aside, yes, due to the 304/320 thing, you really do need a special layout for NeoGeo and a generic bezel won't cut it.

#110608 - 08/16/17 06:36 AM Re: Generic bezel [Re: phulshof]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
I understand, and agree, though a fallback NeoGeo layout would do the trick. I'll give it some more thought; at least now I know how to get things working, so next is figuring out how I WANT things working. smile I'll be back...

Last edited by phulshof; 08/16/17 08:37 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (palindrome, Duke, Luca Elia, Reznor007, B2K24), 20 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,400
Posts108,700
Members4,754
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014