Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25197 - 12/04/06 02:14 AM How do I setup a USB attached Controller?  
seanbangkok Offline
seanbangkok  Offline

I am playing Mario right now using my keyboard. I really want to play with my USB attached game controller. When I go to "input" it will allow me to change the keys for my keyboard, but it will not allow me to access the "joystick" section. Is a USB game controller considered a joystick? Can anyone help? Thanks.

#25202 - 12/04/06 04:34 AM Re: How do I setup a USB attached Controller? [Re: seanbangkok]  
Richard Bannister Offline
Richard Bannister  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Yes, it is. If you specify what operating system you're using we can give you a better answer.

Noli umquam docere porcum cantare; perdes tempus et irritabis porcum.
#25210 - 12/04/06 06:42 AM Re: How do I setup a USB attached Controller? [Re: Richard Bannister]  
mtardiff Offline
mtardiff  Offline

i am having the same issue. my operating system is windows xp.

#25658 - 12/27/06 10:54 PM Re: How do I setup a USB attached Controller? [Re: mtardiff]  
joecat70 Offline
joecat70  Offline

I am having the same issue using a usb controller using windows xp. Nestopia shows that it recognizes the controller, but there does not appear to be a way to make it active.

#25700 - 01/02/07 05:27 AM Re: How do I setup a USB attached Controller? [Re: joecat70]  
epees Offline
epees  Offline

Yea, I am using Nestopia on Windows XP as well. I bought a Nintendo usb controller from Retrozone, and I can't get it to work either. Like the previous reply, I can see that the controller's signal is being taken in (in Control Pannel/joystick) and that Nestopia registers it on the input options (shows up as "Retro" under the joystick options), but I can't get Nestopia to select it as the main device for controlling the games. Does anyone know how to make it work?

#25754 - 01/09/07 02:43 AM Re: How do I setup a USB attached Controller? [Re: epees]  
ckb Offline
ckb  Offline

I too am having problems with a usb joystick. Win2K, Nestopia 1.35

My joystick seems to work properly in other games and in Control Panel -> Game controllers

I choose controller 1 in inputs, then clear the settings, then try to assign the controls (Up, Dow, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start) to the joystick movements and buttons, but it does not acurately record the input correctly.

Regardless of which buttons I push or what direction I move the stick, the input records something like "joy(0) +y" for everything... even when I am only pushing the buttons.

ckb

#26131 - 01/26/07 11:42 PM Re: How do I setup a USB attached Controller? [Re: ckb]  
epees Offline
epees  Offline

I bought a USB controller from Retrozone and had some problems with it at first (see post above). I wrote the guys at Retrozone and here is what they said:

"Nestopia 1.09 on Windows XP works fine here. Plug in the controller,
start Nestopia, go to Options->Input, press the Set All button, then
go through the button sequence. Each button you press should change
it to something like "(joy 0) 1". This setup is exactly the same for
any game controller so maybe the forum moderators arent being too
helpful.

vNES does not support USB gamepads so you must use something like
Joy2Key. In Joy2Key version 3.7.4 on WinXP the select and start
buttons are listed as Button 3 and Button 4 respectively."

Mine works fine now.

#26316 - 02/03/07 08:00 AM Re: How do I setup a USB attached Controller? [Re: epees]  
Hafk Offline
Hafk  Offline

My pad has one of the strangest external device problems I have ever encountered. The pad works perfectly for everything, except for Nestopia.

I am an XP user, FYI. I also post videos, this pad I use is the Sega Saturn USB pad. It is the greatest pad ever made. I do 200% better with this pad, and without it, I am doing pretty awful. I can only use it with the other emulators, but Nestopia is the one with video support. I can't play with the keyboard, I NEED the pad.

Every time I set a button, it goes "joy (0) +x"
By turning off the x axis when putting in buttons, I can get everything, but right. Nestopia just has that problem with the X axis.

Any suggestions on what I should do? The sooner the better, please.

EDIT

Oddly enough, it seems to be a random encounter. I enountered the the last few times, but I didn't this time, and I didn't change anything. Oh well, it is a lucky day for me then. Thanks anyway.

Double EDIT

Seems that 2 problems cancelled eachother out, in the menu. Now I am "Locked" in Up-Left position when playing Recca. This is a pretty awful problem.

EDITed Thrice

I have founded the source of the problem. It seems, if a button is held down when the Nestopia starts, Nestopia believes that that is the "home" location for the dpad.

CKB must have had this problem too, anyway, this post is kind of pointless now. I would say use it as a reference when people who have the same problem show up.

Last edited by Hafk; 02/03/07 08:27 AM.

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dorando, Darkstar), 18 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,543
Posts111,677
Members4,795
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014