Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47451 - 01/14/09 01:41 PM Re: MAMEPGUI 1.3b9 (now available for Mac OS X) [Re: etabeta78]
Emuman Offline

> the GUI tab is blank
not finished.

mamepgui-1.3b10.win-20090114
mamepgui-1.3b10.linux.x86-20090114
mamepgui-1.3b10.mac.x86-20090114

a translation template for the GUI is provided, please note you can copy & paste most of the translation from existing mamepui translation template xx_ui.txt(http://mameicons.free.fr/mame32p/download/makelang_text-20081201.7z.zip)

1.3 beta 10
  • added play with inp/rec/sta/mng/wav menu
  • record/playback from a saved state of a game
  • prevent nvram writing during playback
  • save changes when option dialog is closed
  • improved verification for chd and nodump games
  • added "Audit" shortcut menu
  • auto audit when necessary
  • fixed status icons for console games
  • fixed searching function for console games
  • show console system only if its software directory has been configured

#47453 - 01/14/09 02:06 PM Re: MAMEPGUI 1.3b9 (now available for Mac OS X) [Re: Emuman]
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member

Loc: Trondheim, Norway
cool, I'll try tonight

Quote:
> the GUI tab is blank
not finished.

ok, but is that the place to set the background image? or was I looking in the wrong place?

#47461 - 01/14/09 05:33 PM Re: MAMEPGUI 1.3b9 (now available for Mac OS X) [Re: etabeta78]
Kogyaru Offline

Warning: This is a rant.

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel.

I downloaded mamepgui 1.3b9 and it instantly crashed. There is no indication as to why.

I'd like to let the developers know on the Mame Plus! board, but registering for more than one discussion forum in a single day is already a pain in the neck. (Have board administrators considered an inter-board authentication system such as OpenID?)

More warning: Harsh criticism follows.

I don't think mamepgui has a chance at acceptance from the Mac crowd because the GUI is poorly constructed compared to normal Mac human-interface guidelines. In other words, it looks terrible.

As a person who has some experience developing software, I'm going to make the assumption that forking the UI to "look better" (besides "actually work" and "be more usable") on the Mac is NOT an option with this project. Why would the developers ever care about improving the Mac UI experience if the Mac is not their primary target? Why would any other developer want to pick up this code and try to improve it for the Mac instead of creating something new from the ground up? The latter would take far less time, I'd think.

And it crashes out of the gate, I'm so not running anything unusual on my MacBook, and I'm not eager to waste further time on dicking with the internals.

I'm almost tempted to freeze my ROM collection at 0.117 levels just to play nice with MAME OS X, and skip this very ad-hoc front-end business.

Mumble, mumble, gripe, gripe, over and out.

#47464 - 01/14/09 06:09 PM Re: MAMEPGUI 1.3b9 (now available for Mac OS X) [Re: Kogyaru]
Sune Offline

Loc: Brazil
Maybe a preferences file has become corrupted, causing it to crash.

I think it looks great - and it hasn't crashed here yet.
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Beta10 is out btw
http://mameicons.free.fr/mame32p/download/mamepgui-1.3b10.mac.x86-20090114.7z.zip

#47465 - 01/14/09 06:17 PM Re: MAMEPGUI 1.3b9 (now available for Mac OS X) [Re: Kogyaru]
R. Belmont Offline

Very Senior Member

Loc: USA
Emulation is like pro audio: there's a standard GUI for it outside of anyone's HIG and it's called MAME32/MAMEUI on Windows. *The* most common request from Mac users previously (including several on this board) was to deliver that exact look, feel, and functionality on the Mac, and MAMEPGUI does that.

(Plus it's pretty clear with the release of iWork '09 that demanding that anyone comply with Apple's HIG probably should start with Apple).

#47469 - 01/14/09 07:12 PM Re: MAMEPGUI 1.3b9 (now available for Mac OS X) [Re: R. Belmont]
AaronGiles Offline

Loc: Issaquah, WA
Originally Posted By: R. Belmont
(Plus it's pretty clear with the release of iWork '09 that demanding that anyone comply with Apple's HIG probably should start with Apple).

Apple hasn't followed the HIG for years. In fact, if there is still an HIG anywhere, it's kind of silly. The classic Mac HIG was my bible and I hugely respected Apple for going into that much detail for how things should look and feel in order to push consistency. And I pretty much lost a ton of respect for them when they started ignoring it themselves.

#47476 - 01/15/09 01:29 AM Re: MAMEPGUI 1.3b9 (now available for Mac OS X) [Re: AaronGiles]
FarSide Offline

Back to original topic.

As far as the UI for the Mac version goes I am sure it will improve. Emuman has gone out of his way to compile a version for OSX. As he stated the UI was done with qt making it easy to tweak to be more 'Mac like' once all the features are implemented. I offered to do the OSX compiles for him but it makes more sense for him to do it in VMware given the current rate of development.
Since I do not use my intel macs for MAME I am also looking forward to a PPC version of MAMEGUI. This will come if MAMEGUI goes open source like Emuman was/is considering. (BTW That would be awesome)
Keep up the good work Emuman, I can wait for a PPC version as I am busy building my mame cabinet anyways. And I can still find time to register in more then one forum in the same day if necessary.

#47477 - 01/15/09 01:33 AM Re: MAMEPGUI 1.3b9 (now available for Mac OS X) [Re: Kogyaru]
Emuman Offline

MAME32 has been developed for more than 10 years and I consider it's the best emulator GUI, although some Windows users may prefer Kawaks/Nebula, saying they look "more likely" to be a Windows app.

this is the first time I use OS X, in vmware, now I leaned that Mac users prefer serious and elegant user experience. the frontend doesnt have quality big icon, its menu lacks shortcut keys and doesn't use 'Preferences' instead of 'Options'... so that it sucks. yes, it's developed for Windows users, just consider Linux/Mac support as a side effect.

the project took me almost a year and I know it's still far from perfect. anyway, I appreciate your comments and I'll try to tweak the look and feel in later versions.

#63912 - 08/18/10 04:20 PM Re: MAMEPGUI 1.3b9 (now available for Mac OS X) [Re: Emuman]
Asterokid Offline

Loc: London, United Kingdom
MAME32 is amazing, but the perspective of a cross platform GUI for a cross platform MAME is more exiting to me. So far it the best Mac solution I found and I would be very exited to see it working with MESS.

It is true that there is some more slick GUI on Mac OS like Necokan's Mame Launcher or Mame Library, nevertheless they don't deliver as well technically to my opinion.

Following what you said, although it was a while ago, I would be very happy to give you a hand on the look & feel of it if it is of any interest to you. I already designed a MESS logo a while ago that is currently used in MESS32. Unfortunately, for some reason it did not make it to the official MESS web page.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  R. Belmont 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
4488 Members
9 Forums
7561 Topics
93997 Posts

Max Online: 225 @ 05/26/14 05:34 PM