Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#62236 - 05/27/10 12:01 AM Re: Vsync and input lag in Nestopia [Re: blargg]  
pmoxy Offline
pmoxy  Offline

Originally Posted By blargg
I whipped up a quick reflex tester ROM which I hope to clean up another time. When run, it makes the screen white and waits for your to press A to seed the random number generator. It clicks and delays for 2-6 seconds, then clicks and makes the screen white. At this point you should press A as quickly as you can. It prints the number of milliseconds between the screen changing and you pressing A, then waits for you to press A to start another trial.

Take several times and average them for better accuracy, since the figure varies by many tens of milliseconds. On an emulator that only reads input once per frame, measurements will always vary by a multiple of 16.6666.

I took measurements for several setups involving my NES and an emulator on my PC with a CRT refreshing at 76 Hz. For each setup, I took 12 times and found the average. For audio, I used headphones.

Code:
189	Video, NES on TV
194	Video, NES on video capture
227	Video, emulator using custom serial joypad
236	Video, emulator using keyboard
254	Video, emulator using keyboard, vsync enabled
231	Video, emulator using custom serial joypad, vsync enabled
191	Audio, NES RCA out
254	Audio, emulator using custom serial joypad
Take your own measurements and post them with a description of what you timed.

reflex_timer.nes

Sorry I know this thread is 4 years old but I was wondering if anyone still has the reflex timer thing that blargg posted here (link is dead). I want to run some response time tests with a couple of my gamepads.

Thanks.

#64929 - 10/09/10 04:53 PM Re: Vsync and input lag in Nestopia [Re: pmoxy]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
bugmenot
Unregistered

I second the request (he also posted another 2 test roms).

Besides, to add something to the discussion about input lagging,
i guess that gamepads connected with parallel port adaptors should lag less than any USB gamepad.

I've just done a very un-scientific test trying to play Crisis Force in co-op mode, pressing the same key on both pads at the same time.
The result was that the ship controlled by the pp-connected pad seemed to move first.
This result may be subjective, but there are many factors that suggests it is not:
- no parallel to serial conversion
- no data framing/enveloping is required, the CPU polls the port directly
I've always had the feeling that USB gamepads lags more than old PC game pads, maybe this is the price to pay for the ubiquity of USB.

[moderator note: illegal account, will be nuking ASAP].

#64953 - 10/11/10 05:53 AM Re: Vsync and input lag in Nestopia [Re: ]  
blargg Offline
blargg  Offline

Texas
Re-uploaded files (I left off the first reflex_timer since I think the later two replaced it): time_nes_latency.zip

#65092 - 10/17/10 05:02 AM Re: Vsync and input lag in Nestopia [Re: blargg]  
pmoxy Offline
pmoxy  Offline

Thanks blargg

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Phil Bennett, r09), 15 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,411
Posts108,909
Members4,757
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014