Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#73764 - 10/18/11 02:23 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
MAME will likely have an ARM DRC backend in the future (assuming it's possible for consumers to load arbitrary apps onto ARM Windows 8 machines). There are no plans for M1 to have one at this time though.

#75188 - 12/06/11 07:04 AM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
kokujin Offline
kokujin  Offline

I can't seem to get this program to run for the life of me.I followed the directions, or at least I thought I did.Could someone walk me through this step by step. I would really appreciate it.

#75193 - 12/06/11 01:26 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
I never got it to run either, and I wrote the original M1 smile

#75196 - 12/06/11 05:48 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: R. Belmont]  
neko68k Offline
neko68k  Offline

I am working on an update that should make things easier and a bit more clear. I'll let you know when it's ready. smile

#75209 - 12/06/11 11:09 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
kokujin Offline
kokujin  Offline

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
I never got it to run either, and I wrote the original M1 smile
Lol Glad I'm not the only one.

Originally Posted By neko68k
I am working on an update that should make things easier and a bit more clear. I'll let you know when it's ready. smile
Take your time, I'm just glad someone cares enough to port M1 to the android.I hope someday we'll have hoot on there as well.

#75210 - 12/06/11 11:38 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
DroidSound does a good job of playing VGM rip formats (as well as MODs and related files) on Android.

#75525 - 12/21/11 06:26 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: R. Belmont]  
neko68k Offline
neko68k  Offline

Update is live. Let me know how it works.

#77981 - 03/06/12 09:53 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
The Tias Offline
The Tias  Offline

Yewwo smile

Neko, I've run into a bit of a problem with M1 Android and am wondering if you've seen the behaviour yourself.

What I'll do is I'll open a ROM and I'll listen to a song. If I press stop for any reason, I cannot resume playing that song, nor can I play any other song from that ROM or any other ROM until I completely close M1 and reopen it (and wait for its "Initializing..." popup to go away each time).

I like to listen to some of the old chiptunes from my childhood days at the arcade when I'm driving (beats the living crap out of what's on the radio nowadays), but I can't very well close out the app (requires me to enter my task manager since the app has no "close app" button anywhere), and look at the screen to reopen the ROM(s) and select my song while driving.

I'm running on a Samsung Epic 4G (first gen, not the nicer Epic 4G Touch), using Gingerbread 2.3.6 (EL30).

If you have any workarounds for this issue, I'll be happy to try them out.

- Squishy Tia!

Feature Request (when/if it ever becomes feasible): When selecting a song, the player would change to a screen similar to how WinAmp Android works and would allow playback controls at the bottom and swiping left/right to switch songs within a ROM. That would make it a lot easier to switch songs without having to look at a really small list display on the screen. smile

Edit:

I'm not sure if anybody still has issues with getting this set up, but here's how I did it:

When the app is first installed and asks you to use a long touch on the directory you wish to install it, you generally want to select the "/sdcard/" directory by holding down your finger on its list entry until M1 begins its initialization.

Once that's done, any ROMs you have on the phone already can be copied or moved into the "/sdcard/m1/roms/" directory using your phone's built in filesystem manager (on my phone it's the My Files app).

Once you have your ROMs in that directory (which is the default for m1) they will be visible to M1. To open a specific ROM, you press your menu key on the phone and select Open, then pick your ROM from the list that appears and you're golden (except for the issue above). Once opened the list of songs will appear on your phone screen.

Last edited by The Tias; 03/06/12 10:04 PM.
#78010 - 03/08/12 12:26 AM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
The Tias Offline
The Tias  Offline

Followup to my last post:

It also seems that there are issues opening new ROMs if certain actions are taken beforehand. For instance, if I press pause to temporarily stop a song, and then try to open a new ROM, I am greeted with the same behaviour as if I had pressed the Stop button (i.e. the ROM will open but not play any sound). CPU usage will remain at 95-97% after this until I force quit M1. In order to open a new ROM to listen to its music without having to quit M1 and relaunch it, I have to let the current ROM continue playing while I select the new ROM.

This is generally considered a bad thing to do as it's always caused issues on the dektop version of M1, usually in the form of garbled music or "off" notes. Audio Overload suffers from this too when dealing with .smc/.rsn files. That being the case, I've trained myself to always stop, or at least pause the current song in play before closing a ROM and switching to a new one. Basically I do a "graceful" stop whenever I can, but in M1 Android, doing so kills the ability to further listen to any songs at all without quitting and relaunching.

So right now, at least on an Epic 4G running Gingerbread, M1 is useful for mainly one ROM at a time listening unless you remember to open a new ROM without stopping the previous one. I can deal with that, but I thought you should know what behaviour is occuring here.

I put the info and feedback here instead of on the Android Market** reviews page because I didn't want anybody to shy away from using the app on the chance that they might not have the same issues (all phones are different, which can be a real PITA for programmers trying to make apps that work on all versions of Android out there).

#78051 - 03/10/12 06:59 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: The Tias]  
neko68k Offline
neko68k  Offline

I've not had the 'stop' issue but it doesn't surprise me, stop is poorly implemented smile. It isn't necessary to use it and its probably better to use pause if you need to halt playback for any reason. You shouldn't ever hear stuck or bad notes when switching games since I'm stopping all playback before loading the next set. I'll fix these issues in the next version, whenever that is smile Thanks for your feedback and thanks for not writing a bad review on the market and failing to contact me or leaving me with no way to contact you, I hate that crap smile

[edit]
Oh, and there's no such thing as "close app" on android. You can finish() an app but android will still "close" it when it gets around to it, if ever. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong and any app that implements "close app" doesn't understand the application lifecycle smile

Last edited by neko68k; 03/10/12 07:01 PM.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Pernod, Edstrom, ICEknight), 21 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,413
Posts108,956
Members4,757
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014