Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#78069 - 03/11/12 08:09 AM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
The Tias Offline
The Tias  Offline

M1, at least the OS X version, has no "stop" button, so maybe it'd be best just to remove the stop button and have only the pause button there instead. It'd certainly avoid tech support issues like mine in the future.

All versions of M1 have issues with stuck or bad notes, mostly if switching between two ROMs using one of the more CPU intensive hardware sets being emulated (F3 for example, which is notorious for not liking a song being played when opening those ROMs).

The issue of being paused using the Pause button and not being able to open a new ROM and listen to it is a weird one though. I typically will pause a song so I can get in my head a few of the notes of the song I might want to listen to, which in turn helps me remember its name.

One thing I would like to put in as a request, if you can get it in a future version: Please make the ROMs list a bit bigger onscreen. The text (and thus finger "clicking" width) is really, really tiny, making the single line entries a royal PITA to select.

Oh, and while I remember (since I forget really easy these days), whenever I leave a ROM playing and want to switch to a new ROM, I have to select (click) it twice in the list before M1 switches to it. I could click it once and wait forever and nothing will happen, but the moment I click it a second time it finally switches.

I wish I could code worth a damn - then I'd be useful for something other than a bug report or the like. I can easily design a workable UI via storyboard pics, but coding it...beyond my abilities right now. I used to go "fix it fix it FIX IT ALREADY", and then I wised up and finally saw some articles on just what emulation entails and I was like "wow, if I'd known this stuff before I'd have been more along the lines of asking what to do to work within the limits and less being an asshat just barking at the authors".

As for Richter's mention for DroidSound....that app is making me go completely NUTS. It absolutely, positively, cannot handle large ROM sets. I have all of the SNES ROMs publicly released (both english and japanese), from A to Z and even segmented into half the alphabet for each respective region, DroidSound chokes and crashes (auto-quits) less than four seconds into the indexing process. I can't select the default indexing option as it doesn't find the ROMs (mostly because they were named before proper >31 character+extension filename systems were implemented, thus lack a visible .smc or .spc in their names. I have to choose Full for the indexing and it makes DS choke. frown

Hopefully I can find a workaround for that one.

#78105 - 03/13/12 01:19 AM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
neko68k Offline
neko68k  Offline

I have an idea what the pause issue is, it should be easy enough to fix. There are major (MAJOR) changes to the game list coming. I've also been considering a re-write to support native audio on honeycomb and newer devices(ics, etc). Should improve performance quite a bit and I can add a visualizer or something with the lower overhead...

I haven't worked on it in a while but I've been working on a multi-chip player also. Currently supports VGM, SPC, HES, NSF, GSF, PSF, PSF2 and I think that's it for now...

#78133 - 03/15/12 12:03 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
The Tias Offline
The Tias  Offline

Should be interesting what you end up with. smile

I did find out that DroidSound does not recognize .rsn files. And since the software on the phone will not let me rename them to .spc from .rsn I get to delete them, batch rename (oh THAT will be fun) on OS X, and copy them back via bluetooth (again). The happy fun 100k/sec max bluetooth even when it's literally six inches from the computer.

What I wouldn't give for the ability to use WinAmp plugins in the Droid version. Then you wouldn't have to port any of the normal console formats - there's players for that on the PC.

You mentioned native audio on honeycomb and later (3.x/4.x) - the vast majority of phones use Froyo or Gingerbread (I can't see really supporting Froyo - it's just super unoptimized). Mine's updated to Gingerbread. I'd go ICS, but Samsung's refusing to even bother with an ICS update for the Galaxy S line because they say their TouchWiz software makes ICS too slow. Funny how the Nexus S, with almost identical hardware can run ICS beautifully, but the Galaxy S line can't due to software that Samsung stubbornly refuses to back down from.

#78134 - 03/15/12 01:25 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
neko: for multi-chip you could do much worse than to port Modizer from iOS - it's got ARM-optimized versions of the SSF/DSF engines from Audio Overload, and some very cool visualizers. Source is available at the bottom of this page.

ETA: that's out of date, latest is on GITHub at http://github.com/yoyofr

Last edited by R. Belmont; 03/15/12 02:26 PM.
#78136 - 03/16/12 04:51 AM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
neko68k Offline
neko68k  Offline

@Tias My experience with ICS on the Galaxy S is that it's really memory starved and Android kills and restarts apps all the time. It's annoying as a daily driver. My installed stats on market are showing Gingerbread totally destroying Froyo for market share now. I show less than 1% installed with ICS but that's not really important. Gingerbread(I dunno why I said honeycomb smile added the native audio stuff iirc.

@Belmont It's funny that you mention that, I was actually considering doing that. Modizer is worth its weight in gold IMO. I'd really like to replace his MXDRV code with the stuff Gorry put out for Android fairly recently. I don't know where yoyofr got that code but I've never seen it before. It's horrible and MXDRV/x68000 is my specialty laugh

#78137 - 03/16/12 09:56 AM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
The Tias Offline
The Tias  Offline

ICS shouldn't have too many problems running on the Epic 4G in and of itself. It's the bloatware the companies put on the phones that eats up the RAM.

Epic 4G specs:

Card slot microSD, up to 32GB
Internal 512 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM

That should easily accomodate ICS. Again, it's the bloat that both the manufacturer and carrier put onto the phone, which in most cases cannot be uninstalled (Really Sprint, I absolutely must have Asphalt 5, even though I never play it??)

Samsung says the Galaxy Tab 10.1 can't run ICS. And it has 1 GB RAM. Why? The TouchWiz UI. Poor optimization and bloat FTL.

#78138 - 03/17/12 12:11 AM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
neko68k Offline
neko68k  Offline

You'd think so right? I'm running an AOSP ICS ROM on a Vibrant and it really borders on unusable sometimes.

#78265 - 03/28/12 02:18 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
The Tias Offline
The Tias  Offline

I have a suggestion for you. Since you'll likely get rid of the stop button (keep pause), and replace stop with Restart like M1 on OS X has. So it'd have, in order: < P ^ >, where < and > are prev/next like normal, P is pause, and ^ is the restart button. I actually make use of restart fairly often (it's a quirk I have, but it can also reset a song that's gone "off" due to switching too quickly, which happens a lot on the F3 based ROMs).

Of course, the swipe left/right for song changing would be ideal since that means you don't have to look at the phone to change songs. smile

Edit: Oh, and whoever runs the place - the date for each post is in bright red on a lavender background. I can't read it unless I highlight it like I would text in a word doc. It's really hard on the eyes. wink

Last edited by The Tias; 03/28/12 02:20 PM.
#81244 - 08/31/12 06:18 PM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
Vas Crabb Online content
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Online Content
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
is the .apk in the git repo the latest version? I don't have access to the Google Play store because I'm refusing to register my phone with a google account.

#83603 - 12/30/12 07:09 AM Re: M1 Android [Re: neko68k]  
Vas Crabb Online content
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Online Content
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Well, in the end I downloaded ADT and NDK and built it myself. Works pretty well with the exception of the stop button that sends it to hell. My wife likes it, too.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Phil Bennett), 21 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,311
Posts107,374
Members4,732
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014