Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93566 - 03/29/14 04:42 AM M1 (Windows and Mac) Questions  
GodzFire Offline
GodzFire  Offline

Parts Unknown
Hey all, been using M1 for what seems like over 10 years now and I love it. Doesn't seem like there has been much activity here but I'm hoping my questions will still get discovered and answered.

1- Is development still occurring on either Windows or Mac side, or has the project been discontinued?

2- I also work with creating unofficial soundtracks and multitrack mixes with the various audio channels, and would LOVE if there could be a way to fully MUTE one or multiple channels (maybe like via a checkbox next to them), as even if they volume is set to the lowest possible setting, there is still bleedthrough.

3- Being an OSX user, I am still stuck with the non-functioning wav recording ability in the last released version and have to instead use a 3rd party program like WireTap to record. Is there any chance of that being fixed?

I guess first off I am hoping Ron or RIchard will even SEE this and respond, or anyone for that matter.

#93569 - 03/29/14 06:15 AM Re: M1 (Windows and Mac) Questions [Re: GodzFire]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
Hi,

The existing M1 codebase is discontinued. There will be an all-new M1 at some point but it hasn't been determined when that will be yet. I'm waiting for all the relevant MAME components to be 'modernized' (converted to full C++ classes), which will make it much easier to track updates to the cores. There has been a *lot* of activity in that area, especially recently, but we're not quite there yet.

#94206 - 05/07/14 05:50 AM Re: M1 (Windows and Mac) Questions [Re: GodzFire]  
The Tias Offline
The Tias  Offline

Ah, so that explains why there hasn't been an update (or fix) to the current Mac version (the current version breaks nearly every game out there for sound). Thankfully the old version still works (v077u4). That also explains why the Android version isn't being updated so readily - without a corresponding x86 codebase update that isn't an easy task at all.

#95038 - 07/11/14 08:44 PM Re: M1 (Windows and Mac) Questions [Re: GodzFire]  
Dodg Offline
Dodg  Offline

Sorry this is a bit late, but anyway:

GodzFire - the sound recording issue on OS X was fixed. I posted a patch a while ago in relation to this (which Richard Bannister looked at and said was ok). If you have Xcode installed you just need to download the source code and edit a few lines, then when it's compiled it should all work correctly.

The patch is as follows:

m1snd.h

-#define Endian32_Swap(x) ( ((x&0xff000000)>>24) || ((x&0x00ff0000)>>8) || ((x&0x0000ff00)<<8) || ((x&0x000000ff)<<24) )
+#define Endian32_Swap(x) ( ((x&0xff)<<24) | ((x&0xff00)<<8) | ((x&0xff0000)>>8) | ((x>>24)&0xff) )

wavelog.cpp

@@ -25 +25 @@
-// char fname[256];
+char fname[256];
@@ -35,2 +35,2 @@
-// sprintf(fname, "%s%04d.wav", name, number);
-// strcat(wlpath, fname);
+sprintf(fname, "%s%04d.wav", name, number);
+strcat(wlpath, fname);
@@ -101 +100,0 @@
- //fwrite(data, bytes, 1, waveLogFile);

If that looks like garbage then I can email you a binary if you want, but for obvious reasons it would be better for you to compile it yourself. I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to C programming but I did manage to make a preliminary driver for one game (some kind of helicopter thing that I've forgotten the name of now) so it's not impossible to get unsupported games working, just that (as R. Belmont has mentioned) that approach doesn't scale up very well when you're trying to keep pace with the MAME development team. The trouble with developing something like M1 is that you're not just trying to expand the number of games you're supporting, you're also trying to ensure that the emulation is as accurate as possible. So you could easily get to a point where you think your sound emulation of (say) Ninja Gaiden is perfect but then the MAME team (who have by that time rewritten their sound engine) now have much more accurate emulation, but you can't use their code without upgrading the rest of your code. So then you have to either maintain two different code bases for your own software or ditch the earlier one completely and hope you get time to write the new one smile

#97296 - 12/07/14 05:53 PM Re: M1 (Windows and Mac) Questions [Re: GodzFire]  
GodzFire Offline
GodzFire  Offline

Parts Unknown
I'm just seeing this reply from Dodg and yes, I would really appreciate if you could send me a binary of this fixed version, as me and code is like oil and water.

I've been speaking with Richard about a possible update to M1 which would fix the problem of the volume sliders not completely muting a channel if you move it all the way to the left (you can see here the channel slightly, thus causing bleedthrough of the channel you want to record), which makes recording exponentially more difficult. I had asked if it was possible to add a mute checkbox or fix it so the slider went to absolute silence/zero, but he said unfortunately it's not going to get updated so I'm very sad.

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (ICEknight, MAMEBase, dan81), 14 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,389
Posts108,530
Members4,750
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014