Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#109145 - 03/13/17 09:56 AM Portable QMC2  
nerd4gw Offline
nerd4gw  Offline

Hey guys,

I really like QMC2, it's my new friend :p

So, I setup my QMC2 like we all do, tweak things around how we like. I was even really happy to find a 'Dark Theme' that mostly works (https://github.com/ColinDuquesnoy/QDarkStyleSheet) (bit screwy in setup but the main screens and functions work and look really nice).

So then I wanted to quickly just 'copy' this onto my PC hooked up to the TV (have it shared). - This is where things didn't work out easy. I had to install QMC2 (which is ok) but then needed to find all the settings etc in my main PC. The whole thing was a total pain. Had to find the settings my 'local profile', zip them separately and copy over to my other TV PC etc.

Anyway, is there a way to make a 'portable' version. Ideally, so, I can just go to say Tools -> 'Make Portable' and makes a .zip with all the QMC2 settings with everything needed even without installing?

The other thing I was wondering, is it possible to have custom GUI profiles? - The reason/idea is, sometimes I want the *all* the features/menus/screens etc etc as it is stock. But mostly I want a really really clean simple interface but not as far as the 'arcade' option. Currently I have to go and edit the look and feel, but you can't really dumb it down enough and or switch between easily if you do.

Later,
Nerd4gw

#109146 - 03/13/17 10:14 AM Re: Portable QMC2 [Re: nerd4gw]  
qmc2 Offline
qmc2  Offline

Very Senior Member

Germany
The answer to both things is that it works when you specify a custom config-path ("-config_path <path>" on the QMC2 command line). There's no option to "make it portable" inside QMC2 - what you desire could be done of course (albeit it's trivial to do externally), but how would a ZIP help you here? Isn't that more like "make a backup of my setup", right? I'm not against it, but there's no additional "portability" in that.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
#109147 - 03/13/17 10:28 AM Re: Portable QMC2 [Re: nerd4gw]  
qmc2 Offline
qmc2  Offline

Very Senior Member

Germany
Also, expecting the application's binaries to be included in such an archive would only make sense for Windows... it's a completely different story on Linux/UNIX or Mac OS X. And I wouldn't want to add OS-specific features if not absolutely required.

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
#109148 - 03/13/17 11:02 AM Re: Portable QMC2 [Re: qmc2]  
nerd4gw Offline
nerd4gw  Offline

Thanks heaps for your reply!

Cool, I suppose I use QMC2 to avoid the command line. I guess if it's trivial to do, could it be something that I could suggest to add to the suggestion box of list of future features?

A ZIP would be awesome because, it's 1 simple file and a person could just simply 'import' this 'one' 'ZIP' to other PC or manually overwrite the QMC2 config files etc and it will be exactly no fuss, as it was on the other PC. Yes it would be like a backup. So this would make it almost portable.

I will checkout the custom config, if I can easily load a custom config with a shortcut etc that will be fine. But it would be cool to simply have a little tiny button that can quickly snap/jump between profiles, without using the command line and all this stuff.

#109150 - 03/13/17 11:56 AM Re: Portable QMC2 [Re: nerd4gw]  
qmc2 Offline
qmc2  Offline

Very Senior Member

Germany
We're taking about a chicken-and-egg problem... that's why there's a command line option to overwrite the default where QMC2 finds its configuration (this also works with an application short-cut, of course). Where should it be searched for in the first place when the "profile" is a variable itself?

I said "trivial to do externally" (see this section in the wiki), but yeah, feel free to file a feature request at our bug-tracker for an automatic way to do the same thing (from within QMC2).

#109151 - 03/13/17 12:24 PM Re: Portable QMC2 [Re: nerd4gw]  
qmc2 Offline
qmc2  Offline

Very Senior Member

Germany
Oh, and could you post a few screen shots with this style(-sheet)? Officially "supported" style-sheets can be found here: http://qmc2.batcom-it.net/index.php/style-sheets/ - note that a QSS style-sheet can be combined with any Qt style, but not every combination looks "great" smile.

Last edited by qmc2; 03/13/17 12:24 PM.

#109153 - 03/14/17 09:24 AM Re: Portable QMC2 [Re: qmc2]  
nerd4gw Offline
nerd4gw  Offline

Thanks for your replies. I will submit it as a feature request because the command line option is not friendly. Its assuming people have zip.exe install and handling of the user dir etc. It would be so nice just to have a simple menu | Backup Settings | Load Settings. Done. smile

You really need to try this Qt style, the current ones don't have a sleek modern look. I actually love QMC2! so having it look nice does it the justice it deserves. See my attached screen grabs. BTW this is a free style that anyone can use right now. As I already posted the link: https://github.com/ColinDuquesnoy/QDarkStyleSheet

(I just did a search/replace " :/qss_icons/" to remove that so its just "url(rc/" in the style.qss so it found the assets in the rc dir.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks, bye.

Last edited by nerd4gw; 03/14/17 09:25 AM.
#109154 - 03/14/17 09:48 AM Re: Portable QMC2 [Re: nerd4gw]  
qmc2 Offline
qmc2  Offline

Very Senior Member

Germany
Great. Thanks for the screen shots! I followed the link, but I wanted to see QMC2 in this style...

The external command line tools (7za.exe and zip.exe) come with QMC2 already since it uses them for quickly deleting archive members (when removing obsolete images for example), and there are also relevant packages for the other OSs (zip is usually installed on all of them). But anyway, I can do that wink.

#109272 - 03/29/17 10:56 AM Re: Portable QMC2 [Re: nerd4gw]  
NLS Offline
NLS  Offline

I don't understand the original issue.
You can define the config path as a parameter.
You don't need the command line to use the parameter.
You can just make a shortcut (assuming Windows - because in Linux I never heard anybody to not want to use the command line) and then add the parameter in the shortcut.

Moderated by  qmc2 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (reenigne, shattered), 21 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,439
Posts109,445
Members4,766
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014