Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#113504 - 05/31/18 11:48 AM Re: Cleaning out storage (free stuff for emulation?) [Re: Sharkpuncher]  
R. Belmont Online content
R. Belmont  Online Content

Very Senior Member

USA
Like I said, if you can get all those CDs reasonably packed in a box Jason Scott at archive.org will take them. If you're on Twitter, hit him at @textfiles to get the mailing address. I'd love to see all of them imaged, especially the MAE for Solaris.

#113507 - 05/31/18 05:01 PM Re: Cleaning out storage (free stuff for emulation?) [Re: Sharkpuncher]  
Al Kossow Offline
Al Kossow  Offline

Originally Posted by Sharkpuncher
Originally Posted by Darkstar
Hey,

the DataFrame harddisks are probably interesting to Al Kossow (he might have the means to dump them). They are not MFM/RLL I guess? Google is not very helpful with finding any info on them.

I would give RB dibs on the Mac stuff, but if he doesn't want them, I'd be interested in getting and dumping them. Where were you located again? It'd be nice to get some idea of the shipping costs first before making a final decision smile

They are MFM disks with an "OMTI SMS SCSI to MFM controller" and totally unusable on macs past, I think, system 7.x due to a required INIT/cdev combo that screamed "made for system 6 or earlier". There may have even been a desk accessory involved, to complete the beige mac software circle. I don't know that there's anything inherently special about them other than the semi-unique niche they occupied during the early days of hard drives for macs (it seemed like every other hard drive had something bizarre about it, whether it was plugging into the floppy port or requiring a song and dance with software and disks to get it to become available to the computer), but I also thought they might shed some light on something somewhere else in another driver.

I'll take some pictures of the software this weekend, it's less cold and I don't mind lugging it up to the house.

They are early SCSI but the host adapter is pre common command set so you need to configure the drive geometry before they will do anything.
Not too interesting.

I am looking for copies of Diskfit that supports the Apple 40mb tape cartridge (rev 2.01?)

Someone has been bugging me to recover some backups.

#113508 - 05/31/18 06:13 PM Re: Cleaning out storage (free stuff for emulation?) [Re: Sharkpuncher]  
Darkstar Offline
Darkstar  Offline

GERMANY
RB et al,

Here are (some) of the CDs I mentioned in the shoutbox the other day, some APDA, some Service-related (software restore libraries, etc) and then some random other bits.

...snip...

I should, in theory, have another box of retail discs of Apple SW, CD and 3.5", maybe some dev stuff on 3.5"....not sure where those are, though.

Oh and randomly, a HP 9000 series 700, HP-UX Release 9.03 CD circa January 1994. Not Apple but I hung onto it because...Unix, I guess. I think I have a for more *ix flavors around in various places.

I don't have tons of time so I'm hoping to just hand these off to someone reliable as opposed to imaging them, but I could in theory image them...eventually. Really, I just want to clear some junk out once and for all, lol.

I'll happily take any CDs, DVDs, Floppy disks or other media (tapes, MO, Zip, Harddisks, ...) that you have and intend to get rid of, to dump and upload them to archive.org (see here for some of the stuff I uploaded in the past). I'll pay shipping of course. However, like RB said, Jason Scott might also be a good address (might be easier to ship them to him than to me)

#113509 - 06/01/18 05:27 AM Re: Cleaning out storage (free stuff for emulation?) [Re: Sharkpuncher]  
Jason Scott Offline
Jason Scott  Offline

Beacon, NY
I'm happy to discuss being sent them - I can give you a fedex account number. I'm jscott@archive.org.

#113523 - 06/05/18 03:38 AM Re: Cleaning out storage (free stuff for emulation?) [Re: Al Kossow]  
Sharkpuncher Offline
Sharkpuncher  Offline

Originally Posted by Al Kossow
Originally Posted by Darkstar
Hey,

the DataFrame harddisks are probably interesting to Al Kossow (he might have the means to dump them). They are not MFM/RLL I guess? Google is not very helpful with finding any info on them.

I would give RB dibs on the Mac stuff, but if he doesn't want them, I'd be interested in getting and dumping them. Where were you located again? It'd be nice to get some idea of the shipping costs first before making a final decision smile

They are MFM disks with an "OMTI SMS SCSI to MFM controller" and totally unusable on macs past, I think, system 7.x due to a required INIT/cdev combo that screamed "made for system 6 or earlier". There may have even been a desk accessory involved, to complete the beige mac software circle. I don't know that there's anything inherently special about them other than the semi-unique niche they occupied during the early days of hard drives for macs (it seemed like every other hard drive had something bizarre about it, whether it was plugging into the floppy port or requiring a song and dance with software and disks to get it to become available to the computer), but I also thought they might shed some light on something somewhere else in another driver.

I'll take some pictures of the software this weekend, it's less cold and I don't mind lugging it up to the house.

They are early SCSI but the host adapter is pre common command set so you need to configure the drive geometry before they will do anything.
Not too interesting.

I am looking for copies of Diskfit that supports the Apple 40mb tape cartridge (rev 2.01?)

Someone has been bugging me to recover some backups.

Ok, if there's nothing remarkable about these I will trash them, they have nothing in particular stored on them either. Just thought they were weird enough to hang onto "just in case" since you guys have been doing some low-level stuff with the older HDs.

Nothin on Diskfit, I think I have an ancient version of retrospect and MAYBE desktape that were both used with the 40SC, but that thing disintegrated into goo in like...1996, so I'm not even sure I have the software anymore. Obviously this is unhelpful since backups are software specific, so...yeah.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Praxis, R. Belmont, Vas Crabb), 16 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,544
Posts111,686
Members4,795
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014