Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#113070 - 04/08/18 01:24 PM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: Vas Crabb]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
You didn't actually answer most of the question.

My apologies; what more information that what I wrote in http://forums.bannister.org//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=113000#Post113000 do you need?

#113071 - 04/08/18 01:26 PM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: phulshof]  
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
Well for one thing, "what combinations of host control and emulated control it applies to," was a pretty key part of the question

#113092 - 04/10/18 07:15 PM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: Vas Crabb]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
Well for one thing, "what combinations of host control and emulated control it applies to," was a pretty key part of the question

I'm sorry, but then I fear I do not understand your question. What do you define as "host control" and what as "emulated control"?

As far as I can tell, the ioport.cpp part I changed simply handles the analog input by placing a maximum and minimum value depending on the game. The feature I add simply stores the cut off part of the value so that it can compensate next time that same function is called. It stores this oversteer value in a private member of the analog control object, so it's limited to that particular object.

#113093 - 04/10/18 07:34 PM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: phulshof]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
"Host control" is the real physical controller. "Emulated control" is the virtual cabinet's virtual steering wheel.

#113101 - 04/11/18 07:38 PM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: R. Belmont]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted by R. Belmont
"Host control" is the real physical controller. "Emulated control" is the virtual cabinet's virtual steering wheel.

I'm not 100% sure, but if I'd have to take a guess this feature would be fully in the host control part. The ioport.cpp handler handles general analog inputs, and only minimizes/maximizes it based on the game's parameters. Other than that there's no game specific handling in that code as far as I can tell. It didn't even have the machine reference I needed to pull the configured options (in this case, the -oversteer parameter).

#113102 - 04/11/18 08:16 PM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: phulshof]  
AJR Offline
AJR  Offline

Have you tested the effect of -oversteer on pedal inputs?

#113105 - 04/12/18 07:57 AM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: AJR]  
geecab Offline
geecab  Offline

Originally Posted by AJR
Have you tested the effect of -oversteer on pedal inputs?

When I did my 'oversteer' hack originally, it fortunately didn't effect pedal inputs.

In my original hack, I only apply oversteer in apply_analog_min_max IF the host control is IPT_PADDLE (I.e. What OutRun/HangOn/WecLeMans etc... uses for steering) or IPT_AD_STICK_X (I.e. What SCI etc... uses for steering). For most driving games, I think accelerator/brake pedal inputs are set to something else other than IPT_PADDLE or IPT_AD_STICK_X, so I got away with it.

In summary, you only really want to do oversteer if the answer to the following is all YES:
- Does the original arcade machine have a steering wheel (or handle bars)?
- Does the original arcade machine restrict you from turning its steering wheel (or its handle bars) if you try to turn them in a particular direction (I.e. does it have limits, rather than being free spinning)?
- Are you trying to control it (emulated control) with a mouse X or mouse Y axis?

To ensure this happens, perhaps in apply_analog_min_max, you could have logic along the lines of:-

if((oversteer_enabled) && (HostControl == oversteer_host_control) && (EmulatedControl == oversteer_emulated_control))
{
do oversteer here...
}

Where it is possible for the user to specify (via command line) their choice_of_host_control (E.g. IPT_PADDLE ) and choice_of_emulated_control (E.g. MOUSE_X_AXIS)? Just a thought anyway smile

#113107 - 04/12/18 12:31 PM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: phulshof]  
R. Belmont Offline
R. Belmont  Offline

Very Senior Member

USA
The control mapping in the tab menu does that. You pick for each analog axis what controls it (MOUSE X, MOUSE Y, Xbox 360 left stick X, etc).

#113108 - 04/12/18 02:22 PM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: phulshof]  
geecab Offline
geecab  Offline

So maybe if there was just a configuration option that users could tell mame which emulated control (say, MOUSE X or MOUSE Y) should get the oversteer treatment in apply_analog_min_max, then I think that should be enough as far as configuring it goes smile

#113118 - 04/15/18 09:04 AM Re: Oversteer for relative analog wheels [Re: phulshof]  
phulshof Offline
phulshof  Offline

Netherlands
I don't really see the problem to be honest. If you don't enable it, things work just like they currently are. If you do enable it, you have a few options:
1. Your controls (pedals, wheel, etc.) do not go beyond the min/max value: nothing changes.
2. Your controls do go beyond the min/max value: the base position of the control is maintained.
All in all: it's a very minor change to the code, that only has impact if you actually enable it, which is what you can do on a game basis.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,525
Posts111,253
Members4,792
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014