Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: 2024: When Progress Comes Along, You Must WIP It dxl 07/10/24 12:36 PM
Implemented the HP 9133 hard disk/floppy drive. With all the other devices, this gives now a nice List of boot options on HP9000:
[Linked Image from imgur.com]
58 28,120 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: 2024: When Progress Comes Along, You Must WIP It R. Belmont 07/08/24 02:43 AM
A/UX doesn't like MAME and I haven't taken a serious dive into why yet. There is code in the SuperMario tree to use the DMA with VM, but it never shipped, presumably due to bugs.
58 28,120 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: 2024: When Progress Comes Along, You Must WIP It Al Kossow 07/08/24 02:20 AM
AFAIK they never got fx SCSI DMA working with VM
Does A/UX use it?
58 28,120 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: 2024: When Progress Comes Along, You Must WIP It R. Belmont 07/08/24 01:43 AM
The Macintosh IIfx uses a custom SCSI chip that's a licensed NCR 53C80 IP block with a bunch of stuff added to allow it to DMA directly to anywhere on a 68030 bus. It also has hardware handshake "pseudo-DMA" like other 68K Macs.

However, no version of the Mac OS that runs on this model (6.0.5 through 7.6.1) actually uses the DMA mode. So I ended up spending a lot of effort writing and debugging a device that ends up not doing much. That means this machine ends up having DMA for the floppy drive but not SCSI, which strikes me as pretty funny.

In any case, maciifx now passes all of my test suite to promote a 68K Mac to working so that means every desktop 68K Mac ever shipped now works except the Quadra 660AV and 840AV. Another 13 year old loose thread finished up.

[Linked Image from rbelmont.mameworld.info]
58 28,120 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: NLQ401 printer Golden Child 07/07/24 05:56 PM
If you're interested, the code isn't very large. The hardware has a simplicity to it and the schematic gives you lots of information.

https://github.com/goldnchild/mame/tree/nlq401
1 215 Read More
Modeler and M1 Jump to new posts
Re: Any future updates to M1? GodzFire 07/06/24 07:31 PM
Any updates to this? Seriously, there doesn't need to be any changes besides just getting it to run for the current Windows and Mac OSs. I could get a bunch of people to help bug test it as well.

Richard, I've been trying to get in contact with you for awhile now but I'm not sure if your email system is working.
3 1,269 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
NLQ401 printer Golden Child 07/06/24 06:55 PM
Hi all,

I was working on the imagewriter II but got stuck trying to figure out the gate array.

I happened to notice a skeleton by AJR for the NLQ401 and thought I'd give it a stab.

I was able to get the cr steppers working, then the lf steppers, and got the buttons working but it just wouldn't go into the self test. After doing some machinations with the debugger, the self test is doing something.

I've got the print head a little backwards but finally, it's doing something recognizable!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

ok, got the printhead pins in the right order.

was able to coax a few characters to be printed but there's a flipflop on the schematic that I haven't implemented yet.

1 215 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: 2024: When Progress Comes Along, You Must WIP It Just Desserts 07/03/24 02:18 PM
Before:

After (local WIP):

Still a bunch of gremlins to shake loose, and the current state of things is pretty hacky. Before I even start to think about wrapping this up into a pull request, I should put the "different amount of clocks per scanline" functionality into a subclass of screen_device, among many other things.

There's also perpetual screen-tearing, as the actual screen_device is no longer synced to when scanlines are actually refreshed. That should go away once I have a screen_device that gives actually valid timings.
58 28,120 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: AI? In *my* MAME? It's more likely than you think Just Desserts 07/01/24 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Al Kossow
"I await with scare the moment when AI will start to write MAME drivers"

Wake me when a ML algorithm can even generate a disassembly/recompilation with meaningful comments/symbols/variable names

Maybe it's a good thing there is so little original source code any place the techno-parrots can peck at them

Even if there was, it's not like an LLM would be able to understand it. This whole AI thing is hyped-up bullshit, same as it has been since Kurzweil started saying that the singularity was 10 years off, 40 years ago.
3 509 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: MAME 0.267 Vas Crabb 07/01/24 04:41 PM
Bob Zed’s highlights video:
[video:youtube]
[/video]
1 369 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: AI? In *my* MAME? It's more likely than you think Al Kossow 07/01/24 03:30 PM
"I await with scare the moment when AI will start to write MAME drivers"

Wake me when a ML algorithm can even generate a disassembly/recompilation with meaningful comments/symbols/variable names

Maybe it's a good thing there is so little original source code any place the techno-parrots can peck at them
3 509 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: AI? In *my* MAME? It's more likely than you think =CO=Windler 07/01/24 03:16 AM
GPT uses a random seed to start with generating answers and computes from there the most probable word combinations (based on a blob of canned internet texts), and so (a bit like a semi-dement scatterbrained person) sometimes generates nonsense. Currently creative AI is more based on gut feeling instead of logics (perfectly matching the postfactual fakenews world), so at the moment GPT can not even reckon correctly, despite it gives correct tips for simple programming exercises.

I am writing since 2007 on a sci-fi movie script "D.R.M." about a rebellion of machines by an unhackable AI-based internet successor (forced by new cybersecurity/anti-piracy law to replace any data media by its cloud), which super-intelligence uses MAME knowledge to understand all previous generations of (also offline) computers to hack and spy them. Unfortunately plenty of its prophecies already became reality. So I await with scare the moment when AI will start to write MAME drivers and understand the code possibly better than humans.
3 509 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
AI? In *my* MAME? It's more likely than you think R. Belmont 07/01/24 01:44 AM
One of the people over on the 68KMLA forum made a Classic Mac OS client for ChatGPT, and of course I had to ask it about the important things.

The first time I tried it it said MAME only emulates arcade games, and I was amused enough that I forgot to take a screenshot. And now I can't reproduce that.
3 509 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
MAME 0.267 Vas Crabb 06/30/24 09:45 AM
MAME 0.267

Today’s the day for MAME 0.267, our midyear release. This month, we’ve got a brand new Z80 CPU core. It’s going to help us support more of the extensive family of Z80-like CPUs and also allow more precise control over bus timings. Speaking of CPU emulation, there are some nice fixes for long-standing Motorola 68k floating point unit bugs. They’re particularly noticeable in classic Mac applications whenever trigonometry is involved, but they also help some arcade systems.

The Tomy Prin-C children’s sticker designer system has come to life this month, with inputs and video output, and enough bug fixes to the Fujitsu F2MC-16 CPU core to get the software running. The printer isn’t emulated, but you can still have fun experimenting with this unique system. If you want something a bit more grown-up, some DMA fixes allow the MIPS-based Sony NEWS workstations to boot the earlier NEWS-OS 4.1R, and there’s a new software list with installation media to get you started.

Of course, there are far more improvements in this release than we can list here, but you can read about all the exciting updates in the whatsnew.txt file. The source code and 64-bit Windows binary packages are available from the download page.

Read the rest of this entry »
1 369 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: 2024: When Progress Comes Along, You Must WIP It R. Belmont 06/30/24 01:26 AM
Having gotten ADB (keyboard and mouse) comms working through the "IOP" 65C02 coprocessor on the Mac IIfx, I went ahead and applied that knowledge to the Quadra 900 and 950, which are basically a Quadra 700 with the IOP coprocessors added and a second 53C96 SCSI controller and bus, so you can have 14 SCSI devices total if you get the termination right ;-)

Both machines boot and are usable but the floppy drive (which also runs through an IOP) isn't working yet and there are probably a few other gremlins to shake out around the IOPs.

58 28,120 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: 2024: When Progress Comes Along, You Must WIP It R. Belmont 06/26/24 11:37 PM
Continuing our series of "fixing really old problems with the Mac drivers"...

...the keyboard and mouse now work on the Mac Portable and PowerBooks 100, 140, 145, 160, 170, 180, and 180c. That just means we get to find out that there's other things wrong with those systems. But it's an important start.

58 28,120 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: 2024: When Progress Comes Along, You Must WIP It Just Desserts 06/22/24 09:41 AM
It involved re-porting the decompression code over from Ares and including the appropriate license text in the comment block, but, Far East of Eden zero boots now:

58 28,120 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) Rik 06/21/24 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by hap
The picture you posted appears to be a couple years newer game after Tiger's Aliens license ran out? The title is Project Alien instead of Operation Aliens. The LCD looks different too (no Xenomorph), but I think it's safe to assume that the ROM is the same.

Oh, right, I keep forgetting they changed 'Project' to 'Operation' at some point... But yeah, pretty sure it's the exact same game... Just thought it was interesting that they 'fixed' the issue on the later one. smile

Originally Posted by hap
The Mattel Soccer ROM is basically 2-in-1, there's a hardware setting that selects between Soccer and Hockey. Yes, the goal scoring sound is different (on MAME too), it's a siren sound for the Hockey game, a short jingle for the Soccer game.

Ahh, that makes sense. I see it now in MAME, I just overlooked that both versions were actually supported... I thought it was just a note about it.
And the newer one is much easier as it has 2 less opposing players...

Still looking for that 15min version of Basketball... Hard to tell from most listings unless they show it when they turn it on... smile
4,177 4,728,910 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) hap 06/21/24 06:09 PM
The grand prize goes to Elektronika with more than 10 G&W Egg game clones.
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) Foxhack 06/21/24 05:17 PM
I remember some companies reusing their program data on these LCD games for other stuff. Like that Dragon Ball Z game that used to be a Wrestling game, so when Goku wins, the game plays Hulk Hogan's theme, haha.
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) hap 06/21/24 09:26 AM
The picture you posted appears to be a couple years newer game after Tiger's Aliens license ran out? The title is Project Alien instead of Operation Aliens. The LCD looks different too (no Xenomorph), but I think it's safe to assume that the ROM is the same.

The Mattel Soccer ROM is basically 2-in-1, there's a hardware setting that selects between Soccer and Hockey. Yes, the goal scoring sound is different (on MAME too), it's a siren sound for the Hockey game, a short jingle for the Soccer game.

The mask ROM identification (or call it a serial) is a 3 letter code, if it's the same, then you're guaranteed that the ROM is the same.

The Basketball game that starts with 15 minutes instead of 12 is not dumped yet, and AFAIK it's not a hardware setting like with Soccer/Hockey.
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) Rik 06/21/24 05:58 AM
A friend of mine got the 'Canadian' Hockey game that the source code says uses the same ROM as Soccer. But comparing a video of Soccer on YT to a video of him playing the Hockey game, there is at least one significant difference: The music played when you make a goal is very different. So I'm guessing it's actually a slightly different ROM than the Soccer game (unless there happens to be two different versions of Soccer, which could be possible...)

Are the differences on the ROMs indicated by the 3-character code after 'MM4799 C' of the die label? (NCX, NDC, etc).

Do we still need to get these variations in hand? I can start looking specifically for these to get them taken care of... smile
The alternate Basketball too, he has the '15 minute' one, so it definitely exists...
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) Rik 06/21/24 05:53 AM
There's a version on eBay with a slightly different background, and they've swapped the Energy and Weapon text in the background image. So it looks like there's an early version of the game that has a mistake on the background image that they fixed later on...

[Linked Image from handheldmuseum.com]
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: 2024: When Progress Comes Along, You Must WIP It Just Desserts 06/18/24 11:37 AM
I've been redoing the SNES slots, and a couple of improvements have shaken loose:

Saving in SuperFX games, before/after:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Far East of Eden Zero, RTC initialization before/after, although it just black-screens after init:
58 28,120 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) DarthMarino 06/16/24 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by midget35
I have the original device, and this doesn't look like a MAME bug. Just been testing... horrible game, and weapon and energy do appear to be the wrong way round, but that would be accurate to real hardware. Hope this helps - let me know if more evidence is needed.

Great, thank you for confirming. It definitely helps.

I threw in an alternate background option with the labels reversed.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who's Online Now
6 members (Osso, judge, MarkGarlanger, AJR, Luengo, 1 invisible), 36 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,288
Posts121,479
Members5,067
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com