Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: Labtam 3000 exidyboy 05/21/22 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Xolod
Here is what we managed to collect from the models:

Thanks so much for all that extra detail. Just to clarify are you saying that you have one of each of these Labtam models?

3000, 3003, 3006 and 3015-V32
66 8,812 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: apple2 willy byte voice Golden Child 05/21/22 04:50 PM
Got past friday... and wanted to see the Z0DWARE message:

13 668 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: lx800 self test Lord Nightmare 05/19/22 03:09 AM
I figured out the difference between illegal and illegal2 handlers: the logerror print message for the former prints 1 byte for opcode, and the latter prints 2. This means the mistake in the prefix 40 table was effectively completely harmless, just making some error messages in MAME slightly wrong.
77 5,716 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: The newer for 2022 WIP thread Pernod 05/19/22 01:58 AM
Added a couple of useful modern'ish devices for the MTX machines.

Firstly, the MAGROM, a 512K cartridge system containing many games for quick loading. Various ROM images for the device have been softlisted.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Secondly, the CFX System, a Compact Flash storage device.
Also softlisted bootable CF images for:
CP/M
Fuzix
and we can finally run Hex-Train (contains over 200MB of pre-rendered graphics)
34 6,353 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: IDI Information Displays Inc =CO=Windler 05/18/22 06:10 AM
I thought the first longer morphing CGI movie was this:

John Whitney - Arabesque (1975) early computer graphics

In Germany in 1970th/80th there was a famous family gameshow "Die Montagsmaler" (The Monday's Painters), in that a person had to quickly draw an object (that he got told as a word) that other people had to guess before the timer runs up. The special thing was that instead of a chalkboard it employed one of the very first lightpen computers named "Telestrator" that apparently got fed with a punchcard to display to the spectators the word of the object to be guessed. While nowadays tablet computers with touchscreen and pen are common, until 1980th it was very unusual to draw directly on screen, and the show was such famous that in Germany until 1990th everybody associated the use of a lightpen (on C64 etc.) with Montagsmaler (much like in Britain the appearance of a police box got associated with the TARDIS of Doctor Who). Kids at schools often played the game during break/recess on the classroom blackboard.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montagsmaler

DIE 1. Folge DIE MONTAGSMALER mit FRANK ELSTNER

There are many other clips on youtube.

I tried hard to find out how this primitive graphical "computer" worked. Apparently it used a persistent vector monitor CRT similar like an analogue storage oscilloscope filmed by a TV camera, and the ticking clock dot frame around the screen likely was just a kind of B/W luma-key effect (greenscreen predecessor) superimposing the picture of a clock made from lightbulbs and relays (and a contact wheel?) with the filmed vector screen. Telestrators were originally used in USA mainly to comment sports on TV for marking the position of players and ball etc. and were invented already in 1950th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telestrator

Here are some patents (websearch the numbers) I found about related hardware:

Telestrator_writing pickup_US2986596.pdf
Telestrator_superimposed dynamic tv_US3617630.pdf
Telestrator_electronic pointer for tv images (lightpen)_US2487641.pdf
Telestrator_AV teaching system&response_US3718759.pdf
teaching system with tv receiver_US3671668.pdf
optical graphic data tablet_US3761877.pdf
multiple camera superimposed message_US3580993.pdf
lightpen_telewriting apparatus_US3089918.pdf
lightpen_operation on remote computer_US3543240.pdf
lightpen_electron beam sensor_US3413515.pdf
computer graphic using video phone_US3584142.pdf
1 121 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: thread about ARC CPU cores drewcifer 05/17/22 09:41 PM
Cool, thanks. Might save me a step. Never thought to google a workaround smile.
16 631 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: Request: Casio SA-series keyboards =CO=Windler 05/16/22 04:54 AM
Dtech wrote me in 2012:
With sa chips I was about to send one to france for decapsulation and photos, togheter with some other guys that are
into retro video game consoles and had other chips to decapsulate. However this entire project somehow stalled and
died out. I know it's oki 4bit microcontroller with melody circuit and have a plenty of approximate information about
it's innards, as well as have researched a little bit about some test fetures that I plan (for so more than 10 years
already hehehe) to exploit to read out it's rom without decapsulation. All oki chips have features for such tests, but
in none of their documentation did I find any information on it.
I have made some test jig for such hardware tests, but it is not yet complete. It will be useful to explore the chip
test functions and try to read out it's contents, but no idea if it will be successful.

I have used the voltage glitching to record it's output in very high quality and then made a tool to try to extract
approximate rom contents with exact byte precision, and now know exactly how many bytes are each of the blocks and
things like that. However exact data (value of each program word) is not yet known, and that's a thing I would realy
like to see someday.

I can cool the chip down to -55degrees anytime, but i don't think it will help reading it out. Shitshot capture is
easy with it as it is. Using 192ksps or faster analog capture is more than enough to get every sample of it's 21.xxx
kHz (don't remember) samplerate and use adapted highspeed telecommunications algorithms to synchronise to transitions
and lock to every byte. Getting exact value is a problem, as the playback from chip is scaled... with loss. Loss is
similar to like playing back 8bit wave multiplied by 0.99 on 8bit dac. There are missing codes.

And regarding rom contents playback as samples, I discovered that "My Music Center" toy keyboard hardware (Holtek - Ad-lib Micro®, may be HT3670 based) by shitshot (voltage glitching) often vomited apparently its entire rom contents through the DAC, producing a sequence of all samples with "noise" in between. Because its MCU is SRAM based, its resistor controlled clock rate can be turned down to complete halt with crash, which may permit to sample the output (which DAC multiplexes polyphony voices like Yamaha) precise enough with any PC to decipher it.
32 6,285 Read More
QMC2 Jump to new posts
Re: QMC2 and BGFX Vas Crabb 05/11/22 11:24 PM
No, that was always in Slider Controls. It’s arguably only in Slider Controls because of implementation details, but that’s the way it’s always been.
7 151 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) Revenant 05/11/22 01:03 PM
The X-Men one is already in MAME ("txmenpx"), but I don't think the other three are.
3,949 2,563,243 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: Network interface -1 not found stef-ux 05/10/22 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by arcadefan
I seem to remember this working for me a while back
The tutorial is for qemu but it should work for MAME too.

I've been struggling for months and now here is the solution, "oldie but goodie".

I'm so grateful to all of you, it works great! smile
9 670 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: apple2 conan joystick weirdness Golden Child 05/06/22 09:11 AM
Thanks RB, Alegend45, Vas and JD. Glad to know it wasn't gremlins in my system.
10 525 Read More
QMC2 Jump to new posts
Re: Building QMC2 on Windows oddi 05/02/22 05:41 PM
No luck, again a lot of errors. Thank you, atm qmc2 compiling it's mystery for me. smile

Ok, now compile with buildtools, but with win32env.bat - no luck.
Whats it's differents between buildtoos.bat and win32env.bat
i compare environments from both files - it's same.
Someone may explain me. Thank you.
25 823 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: MAME 0.243 kmg 05/02/22 02:19 AM
If you can get your hands on the new NES chip tune addition King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland (set 'polygond'), check out "Live from Tijuana, Mexico" after selecting "Other Killer Records" on the title screen. Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen on the NES. Thank me later!
1 403 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: Macintosh II Hard Drive Issue arcadefan 04/30/22 12:41 PM
So, apparently it only formats properly if you use the Apple Legacy Recovery CD. I just tried that and it read the full capacity. I guess I just missed that part of the tutorial.
You can just put this one down to a 1D10T error.
5 358 Read More
QMC2 Jump to new posts
QMC2 0.243 released qmc2 04/29/22 09:47 AM
With the MAME 0.243 release we are pleased to also release QMC2 0.243 today.

This is the first version in about four years to work on Linux (several distributions), Windows and macOS again! Expect new binary packages within hours or days, but for macOS it may take longer. Follow these steps to build your own if you are impatient.

Have fun, the QMC2 development team

(See https://qmc2.batcom-it.net/index.php/2022/04/29/qmc2-0-243-released/ for more information.)
0 110 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: Trying some linux livecds with at586 R. Belmont 04/28/22 06:27 PM
When Kale's SiS630 goes in that will be a decent modern-ish PC driver for this kind of fun. No harm in seeing what the old code can do though.
2 265 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
Re: Can't compile latest MAME? READ THIS THREAD Just Desserts 04/27/22 06:01 PM
From which path are you invoking make?

Are you doing this from the MinGW command line? The forward slashes in that error message would seem to indicate that you're in some other type of shell.

Have you tried it without all of the non-standard things you're adding to the make invocation?

It seems like you're trying to do it in a way other than the officially documented method, so this is a "no warranty" situation.
417 556,736 Read More
QMC2 Jump to new posts
Re: Anyone got 0.242+ compiling for macOS? qmc2 04/25/22 05:46 AM
@Carbon: Yes, there are specific make targets... like "make arcade" and "make arcade-install". However, qmc2-arcade is known to "more or less not work". On Linux I get the "darkone" theme partly going, but on Windows both themes don't work at all. I doubt that it's much different under macOS. This has to be redone when I find the time and desire for it wink. What is working is the "qchdman". Try "make qchdman" and "make qchdman-install".
10 371 Read More
Non-Windows MAME Support Jump to new posts
Re: Compiling mame with ubuntu 22.04 keeps crashing Golden Child 04/24/22 06:34 PM
I added 8 GB so it now has 12GB and mame compiles with no problems. I also pulled the low profile radeon 4350 card and went solely with the intel integrated graphics.
1 245 Read More
Who's Online Now
1 members (Praxis), 18 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,070
Posts118,943
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com