Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
MAME Jump to new posts
Layouts, parameters, and softlists Mr. Do 11/26/20 07:22 AM
I think of things at the weirdest times sometimes, so I'm writing this down now before I forget again, and apologies to Vas if he's already thought of this and it's on his to do list...

For layouts, we have the below pre-defined parameters today:

https://docs.mamedev.org/techspecs/layout_files.html#pre-defined-parameters

Would it be possible to have a softlist title to be a pre-defined parameter?

Example:
  • The new Vectrex artwork currently has a separate view for each of the twenty-something games we have artwork for now
  • For each view, everything is exactly the same, except the element that defines which overlay to use for each view
  • And the dimensions of each overlay is exactly the same (well, most of them... they WILL be when I fix the last few that are in there)
  • If instead we used a parameter to define the name of the element used for the overlay which matches the software list title, we wouldn't need twenty-something views anymore; just one view, where the view would change when the loaded software changes.

I'm sure there's likely more to it than that, for example, we would need to be able to define something as a fallback default, if the software loaded doesn't match any elements currently defined in the layout.

If you look at Nightvoice's Atari 2600 artwork, he has the system with a cartridge and label. How cool would it be if the cartridge label changed depending on the softlist tile that was loaded.

Anyway... that's my thought for the night... be safe, and Happy Thanksgiving to those here that celebrate the holiday tomorrow.
0 146 Read More
QMC2 Jump to new posts
Global settings doesn't display hamelg 11/19/20 10:20 PM
Hello,
I have an issue with the latest version 0.218 (svn r8336) compiled with QT 5.15.1. All fields in the Global configuration tab (Tools -> Options -> Tab Emulator/Global configuration) are empty.
see the screenshot here : https://app.box.com/s/lqkuon6wxreudhx1152w7wy84zz2eafn
It looks like a bug : if I type something in a empty field and I push the button Revert to stored values, the correct value displays back.
Any ideas ?
0 54 Read More
MAME Jump to new posts
MAME 0.227 Release Delayed to December 2020 Stiletto 11/16/20 06:26 PM
MAME 0.227 release has unfortunately been delayed to December 2020.

The slipping of release dates is nothing new in software development; it can, and does, happen with some frequency, for a whole assortment of reasons. That said, with an aim towards increasing the transparency with which the MAME team operates, we have taken the unprecedented step of announcing it, and issuing a (hopefully) reasonable explanation as to why.

The simple, and non-technical, reason for this decision is that the overall stability of the codebase, after some major changes under the hood in order to rectify technical debt after the release of MAME 0.226, is not where we would like it to be. As with many projects, we have a boilerplate set of tests which are run on a regular basis. When any major change to the core codebase occurs, there is the chance for instability – for reasons which will be clear in the more technical description to follow, the change was downright guaranteed to cause issues, despite the overall benefits once these issues are rectified. The metrics that have come from those tests indicate that the rate at which we are burning through regressions is not such that we can be reasonably assured of having a stable build by the time that it is necessary to have one to maintain a monthly release cadence.

For more information, see: https://www.mamedev.org/?p=489#readmore
0 253 Read More
Who's Online Now
3 members (That70sguy, Pernod, Carbon), 31 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,836
Posts116,223
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020