Thread Like Summary
=CO=Windler, abelenki, anoid, bobz, Dam0, Darkstar, DarthMarino, Duke, Dullaron, Edstrom, Folly, Golden Child, hal3000, hap, ICEknight, Just Desserts, kmg, LoganB, Luzie, MilanSK, mixmaster, mochamame, MrBogi, Parotaku, R. Belmont, remax, Revenant, robcfg, Shideravan, SomeRandomGuyIdk, ssj, Stiletto, zillion
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by seanriddle
seanriddle
Originally Posted By hap

Hmm, wizatron issue could also be due to how the digit leds work. They obviously should take some time to decay so strobing them doesn't look like a flickering disco. Maybe related to that.

TI-1270: do you have the post-acid pic? I can see the microinstructions, but barely see the output pla and main opcode pla.

Yeah, the change to SETR and removal of RSTR may have something to do with it. I still haven't read enough to understand that change yet. I don't have any working TMS-0970s left, but I have a couple of TMS-0980s, which likely output the same. I could do some logic captures if you think it might help.

I uploaded the TI-1270 post-acid pic.
Liked Replies
by hap
hap
Nelsonic Star Fox, Sean decapped it a few years ago, but ROM layout wasn't figured out until now.
It also has an extra sound effect chip, similar to other electronic toys (eg. Executor keychain). That one is not emulated, it is used for 3 sound effects in Star Fox:
- player ship moves
- enemy explodes
- player drops bomb

basic background artwork for MAME: https://tsk-tsk.net/net/extart/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
9 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Ninja Gaiden III artwork is up. Hydef did art for most of the Tiger games but not a background only view. I've redone all the backgrounds and added this view for them. I did a few additional games such as Addams Family and the legendary MC Hammer: U Can't Touch This. More on the way. The lay files all need work but I've put everything as is in my Tiger folder:

Tiger Electronics LCD Artwork

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
9 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Here is the the Mega Man 3 artwork. I just matched the screen to the background location and dimensions. Feel free to make adjustments to the lay file. I have the Castlevania II unit done, I'm just waiting for a scan of the front label.

Tiger Electronics Artwork

8 members like this
by hap
hap
Here is Scrabble Lexor

It's a simple scrabble game and scorekeeper, does not have a word library in the ROM.
The interesting thing is that this is on a Fujitsu MB8841, first time I've seen a handheld/tabletop using this. The MCU was already emulated in MAME. Sean figured out how to dump it.

This might also mean good news on the arcade side soon, it's possible to dump MB8841 protection MCUs now.
7 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
I put together some artwork for the Konami baseball game. It has a few different titles and labels. I did a quick mockup for the US version called Major League Baseball (left). The unit that was scanned is the Japanese version (on the right). The game in MAME is called Bottom of the Ninth which was released in other territories. If anyone has a good scan of the US or Bottom of the Ninth versions, let me know. I'm not amazing with the lay files, so if anyone wants to help out with those, let me know.

Konami LCD Artwork

7 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Last one for now. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest artwork. All of the emulated Tiger games should have artwork now.

Tiger Electronics Artwork

7 members like this
by hal3000
hal3000
The games loaned out by alexb has now been dumped and added to MAME. With this, all known G&W games and variants has now been preserved smile Thanks Alex for providing the units!
6 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Artwork for Circus up in the Non-Nintendo folder of my Google Drive:

Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
6 members like this
by hal3000
hal3000
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest by Tiger (and licensed from Konami) has been preserved in MAME smile

The game has been dumped by Sean and I've been helping out with the LCD work. The game is based on the Sharp SM510.

This is what the game looks like (without artwork):
6 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
I did the best I could with the elements available. I believe there is now artwork for all the emulated Nintendo, Tiger, Konami and Elektronica LCD games. Now it's time for some turkey.

Konami LCD Artwork

6 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Artwork up for Tayny Okeana in the "Non-Nintendo" folder. Yes, the alignment with the divers at the top is that bad on the real unit, probably worse.

Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
5 members like this
by hap
hap
Sean decapped the 1st-gen Mattel handhelds.
Actually that's old news but not well known, he did those a few years ago. Just that the opcodes weren't figured out until now, and now the MCU they're on is finally emulated in MAME.
He made a webpage covering this, read more about it over there if interested! https://www.seanriddle.com/firstmattelledgames.html

I think this plus PPS4/1 covers all Mattel games that were on Rockwell MCUs. There are a few unemulated Mattel LED games, but on different MCUs. Sub Chase and Armor Battle are on a Hitachi MCU, and IIRC Bowling and that weird Alien detection toy are on COP400.

Screenshots (I hope the forum allows 5 in one post...):

Auto Race:

Missile Attack aka Space Alert:

Football:

Baseball:

Gravity:
5 members like this
by hal3000
hal3000
Mega Man 3 by Tiger Electronics (and licensed from Capcom) has now been preserved in MAME smile

The game is based on the SM510. Sean has de-globbed and dumped the ROM and I've been helping out with digitizing the display and preparing the MAME driver. This is what the game looks like:
5 members like this
by hap
hap
Sean also dumped a Konami Baseball handheld

5 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Here is the Bottom of the Ninth art along with two other Konami sports titles. The NFL label was printed with a strong slant to the right so we could probably use a better source if one pops up.

Konami LCD Artwork

5 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Some unit art for Superman and Gargoyles:

Tiger Electronics LCD Artwork

5 members like this
by hap
hap
Konami Nascar & Skate or Die.

5 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino

I'll lump it in with my G&W files for the time being:

Game & Watch Artwork (including Bassmate & Space Mission)
4 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Here's what I have for Monkey Goalkeeper (AKA Merry Footballers). Also in the Non-Nintendo folder on my Google Drive.

Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
4 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
I put up some art in the Non-Nintendo folder of my Google drive for four more Russian Egg clones: Kot-rybolov (Fishing Cat), Frogling, Night Burglars and Space Flight.

Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
4 members like this
by alexb
alexb
Alright folks, if they still haven't been dumped yet, I have managed to acquire a purple Judge and the alternate music version of Mario's Cement Factory. Also the Helmet in my current G&W collection appears to be a CN-07 version. I'm happily willing to donate them in order to help out with video game preservation.
I believe this is what the board should look like for Helmet. I was able to perform the 2 characters glitch on it.
4 members like this
by hap
hap
Here is Mattel Look Alive! Football, dumped yesterday by Sean.

4 members like this
by hap
hap
Logix Teammate Game Computer was dumped by Michael Kamprath and now added to MAME.

Here's an in-depth video where he talks about documenting the hardware.
4 members like this
by hal3000
hal3000
Ninja Gaiden III by Tiger Electronics (licensed from Tecmo) has now been preserved in MAME smile

The game is based on the Sharp SM510 MCU. The game ROM has been dumped by Sean and I've been doing the LCD work.

This is what the game looks like without artwork:
4 members like this
by kevtris
kevtris
I dumped the final microcontroller. I had no adapter for the shrink dip version (and haven't encountered any until now) so if I hit some more at some point, I will make an adapter. Until then, I did... this thing.

[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

That's it in the chip dumper.
3 members like this
by hap
hap
Sean recently found a cheap Entex Musical Marvin and dumped it electronically (it's on TMS1100)
And here it is in MAME:

3 members like this
by hap
hap
Here is The Dracula, by Tsukuda. It was donated to Sean by Parotaku.

3 members like this
by Parotaku
Parotaku
Hello
My account was finally approved so, I'm new here (but I've been following this thread for quite some time!) nice to meet you all.

I'm the french guy who recently sent Tsukuda's 'The Dracula' to Sean Riddle for him to dump.
So a big thanks to him and to @hap for all your work (and even including the 'hidden' factory/test mode in the menus!). It's working beautifully in MAME!
3 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Case artwork up for the two new Konami games:

Konami LCD Artwork

3 members like this
by =CO=Windler
=CO=Windler
"Sound FX Phasor" toy synthesizer [rom dumped,HW info]

I bought on eBay a really crazy complex toy synthesizer from 1980 based on a PIC1655A, which likely constitutes the world first single-chip softsynth. It is the "Sound FX Phasor" by Electroplay.

Beside 8 preset effect noises, it has a keyboard mode with synthesizer, featuring suboscillators with multipulse squarewave and freakish siren-like howling modulations. Particularly it can do sonorous organ-like bass notes and crunchy motor noises with simple decay envelope. The foil touchpad of the monophonic instrument has only 15 "white" keys (no sharps).

There is not much info about the instrument, and only one youtube example barely shows what it can do.

https://miniorgan.com/lib/view.php?...;srch_type=title&sortby=&output=
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sound-fx-phasor-electroplay-1980-537375746

Remarkable is that it even precedes the famous Casio VL-1 by 1 year, and like the latter it can produce a variety of strange complex sound variants. The grainy lo-fi sound engine employs program loop synthesis, in the style of Williams pinball machines. But unlike VL-1 it is more centered on less melodic howling effects, and often resembles random glitch stuff with strange techno sound loops those can include crackle, buzz and rough pulsing or bleeping noises. It was way ahead of its time. But the user interface is awful. There is no sequencer, synth patches can not be saved and most obnoxious is that auto-power-off deletes the created patch (up to 31 key presses) after 46 seconds of idle. As a last warning it sounds a very low bass note during that you can quickly play a note to get another 46 seconds.

I have started to detailedly document its operation and analyzed the hardware. It sounds much better than the typical beeps of early LCD games. The sound style resembles POKEY/TIA but with higher pitch resolution, and can be compared best with Williams "Gwave" sound engine found in early electronic pinballs and arcade videogames like "Defender".

As the likely world first single-chip softsynth it is historically very important and should be emulated for preservation and research of the algorithm. Thanks Sean I managed to dump the internal rom with a logic analyzer (Zaleae Logic 16 with PulseView on Linux Mint). The PIC1655A is the mask rom version of the eprom based PIC16C55. Both are very close relatives of each other and hence even have a similar rom dump mode, despite it is activated differently. With the documented PIC16C55 pin 1 needs to be set hi and pin 28 connected to programming voltage to make it output rom data bits at pins RB7 (msb) to RA0 (lsb) in a loop (controlled by clock rate, no address signals). The undocumented PIC1655A instead needs the TEST pin 5 pulled to 3V to start dumping, which after reset starts at address $1FF (reset vector) wrapping around from $000.

I had to solder plenty of wires to the synth PCB, added a resistor to disable APO (else it turns off when pin changes level) and disconnect 3 resistors to the audio mixer amp those pulled the level too low. Then I added a 100nF cap parallel to the clock capacitor, which reduced the CLKOUT frequency to about 370Hz (which data sounded like a POKEY noise effect). Finally I could connect the Zaleae Logic 16 with PulseView, setup 12 of its channels and indeed it recorded something that looks like a data pattern repeating about every 512 steps of CLKOUT (which I had set to rising edge trigger). I had let it run about 10s and did another capture with the other voltage level mode. According to Sean the output looks valid. I also checked the audio pins (they are digital) with the logic analyzer. Apparently I had to remove my 100nF clock capacitor to restore it to normal frequency to run the program correctly (may be a reset hardware issue). I had to set the sampling frequency now to 4MHz to see the CLKOUT squarewave without gaps, which either means that the PIC runs at internal almost 2MHz (i.e. externally 8MHz?) or the logic analyzer divides it through the number of channels. I saved in PulseView (.sr = sigrok) 8.5MB (7 zipped) of digital waveform signals.

Interesting is that in synth mode apparently only pin 16 gets modulated with complex PWM patterns (also when parameters E and F swapped), while 13 and 17 (pin 13 is suboscillator and also controls analogue decay rate) are plain squarewave. Apparently some kind of (FM-like) analogue multiplication is going on inside the "DAC" of 4 resistors connected to a transistor base. In the presets of the effect noises (train, helicopter etc.) also other pins show multipulses, those use normal squarewaves in synth mode. The pitch of the "guitar" (synth mode default preset) starts > octaves lower during attack.

I wrote a long text analysis (HTML) of the synth with its undocumented user interface. I made a TXT version of the (almost useless) single page manual, hardware photos and preliminary handdrawn schematics. I e-mailed all that stuff to the MAME team. For emulation will be important that grounding CPU pin 7 disables APO, which else deletes synth memory contents after 46 seconds of idle and so severely limits usability. In MAME a DIP switch should be added here, and also the clock trimmer for tuning. Generally the thing is full of bugs those make the synth behave somewhat unpredictable. Likely residues of the previous sound stay in RAM even after manually entering synth parameters. So savestates of the 32 byte RAM should be supported (if possible with filenames) to store and reload synth patches.

The hardware is built around the GI PIC 1655A-522, which is a documented 8-bit microcontroller with only 512 word of 12-bit mask ROM and 32 byte RAM. It is running a monophonic software synthesizer resembling the famous "Gwave" sound engine of Williams pinball and video arcade games. Although it lacks their iconic bright phasing drone timbres ("Defender" start sound), it does plenty of different crunchy noise waveforms. Many are POKEY-like, but the timbre palette goes beyond that, including e.g. semi-metallic clangs like gongs and ringing bells. For a 1980 toy the thing is crazy. (To get an idea, a Speak & Spell had 16 kByte ROM, which is >21 times more.) With minor redesign, its software could have blown most early budget mini keyboards off the market. This is the same type of British low-cost miracle like the first Sinclair homecomputers. It could have been a game changer; under different circumstances UK instead of Japan would have created the VL-Tone.

The 8 effect noises ("Living Sounds") are strongly synthesized and buttons respond duration sensitive. (Most sound names were choosen by me, because there are only icons on panel buttons and the manual only mentions 2.) The "helicopter" contains noise with high pitched whine that grows louder and quieter. The "telephone" is electronic high pitched, somewhat like tyre screech. The "ufo" is a sequence of 3 fast siren-like noises; the last one fades silent. The "police car" sounds like 2 alternating organ notes. The "train" is a steam locomotive with rough hiss that turns faster and higher (quieter), followed by a realistic whistle (louder again). Also "bee" varies volume. The "racing car" is modulateable; it starts with loud reving up engine (low buzz), but holding the button makes it change gears and drive away (engine grows quieter). The "boat" (ship horn) toots buzzy, followed by a 2nd duller toot of its echo (told by manual - very artificial). Hitting the button quickly sounds for a default length (few seconds). Holding it longer plays them in a loop (some with algorithmic variations) until release of that button. The same 8 noises are as doublets (wired parallel) on the key buttons and thus can not be played melodically.

But the original user manual is a complete disaster. It reads like botched together by a random clueless circuitbender - throwing in buzzwords like "programming" and "computer", it treats the user like an idiot because it explains absolutely nothing about meanings of individual parameters or inner working of the synth. This excerpt is really everything it tells about:

TO CREATE YOUR OWN SOUNDS: An infinite number of sounds, and hours of fun can be had with your Sound FX Phasor by programming the computer yourself. It is possible to programme six different commands into the computer. Each of the six commands is represented by one of the letters A-F on the keyboard and will have a different effect on the sound created. It is not necessary to use all six commands. If desired only one of the commands - letters - may be programmed. To programme the computer first press the 'musical note' key. Next press the 'F' key, this is a double function key i.e. both a command key and the programme enter key. Pressing the 'F' key tells the computer you are going to programme a command. Next select a number from 0-250, press out this number on the keys AND then press one of the six command A-F. You will have now entered your first command. Observe the effect this command will have on the sound of the keyboard when you press any of the keys. If you wish to enter a second command, follow the same procedure. First press 'F' then a number between 0-250 AND then one of the remaining letter keys. Repeat this procedure until as many letters, A-F, as you like have been programmed. Remember it is not necessary to programme all six commands - letters - to create a sound. To gain experience, experiment with the effect of changing just one number/command within a programme. It is good procedure to write the number as you enter them so you will be able to programme an interesting new sound created.

Examples:

SIREN
Press ENTER + 1 + A
Press ENTER + 44 + B
Press ENTER + 1 + C
Press ENTER + 1 + D
Press ENTER + 1 + E
Press ENTER + 1 + F
Press 8 or D

MUSIC CHANGE
Press ENTER + 11 + A
Press ENTER + 3 + B
Press ENTER + 4 + C
Press ENTER + 3 + D
Press ENTER + 3 + E
Press ENTER + 6 + F
Press any key

MUSIC CHANGE
Press ENTER + 1 + A
Press ENTER + 2 + B
Press ENTER + 1 + C
Press ENTER + 1 + D
Press ENTER + 1 + E
Press ENTER + 1 + F
Press any key

(In the 1st example here of course also other notes can be played; the siren howl tempo follows note pitch. Example 2 is a simple organ with strong fast vibrato (tempo follows note pitch). Example 2 is a simple bright high organ with slightly purring overtone (like the German telephone free-line signal).)

It may be that the original user manual remained so vague because the user interface is so full of bugs that it behaves semi-random and somewhat unpredictable (likely by previous data residues left in RAM). Because that "manual" explains nothing, I wrote my own:

synthesizer parameters

Press the 'musical note' button and play a note on any key beside 'F'. The synth mode starts now with a primitive "guitar" preset sound (2-bit wannabe sawtooth). Its (anyway too short) decay gets truncated by key release, which seems to be the default behaviour in synth mode. Any synth parameter is edited by pressing "enter" (F button), typing any number (this sounds a blip) and pressing one of the 6 letter buttons. Each letter button (also F) sets a corresponding parameter. It is hard to figure out what they exactly do; depending on the parameter. While their range seems to be 0..255 (8 bit, typing bigger numbers wrap around, ignoring upper bits), typing more digits sometimes seems to do more complex things (which may be buffer overflow bugs). Parameters also interact with each others.

After switching on (note icon button), you need to first play a note before setting a parameter, else glitches occur, those however can be used to get different sounds. Apparently default values of the preset sound are only initialized when playing a note before setting any parameter. Particularly the octave of the main voice can strongly change, e.g. depending on which effect noise was previously played. Possibly such semi-random glitches made the designer give up any plans of describing synth parameters in the manual.

* pitch envelope (A, B)

This produces siren-like effects by a triangular pitch envelope. Parameter A sets the vibrato speed by changing the pitch envelope steepnes (0=fastest, 255=slowest). B apparently sets the upper and lower ramp limit, i.e. changes the bounds between that the triangular pitch envelope ramps up and down with the rate selected by A, which makes the vibrato simultaneously deeper and slower (0=shallowest, 255=biggest amplitude). At high depths the pitch will wrap around and thus low note start at a high pitch ascending further until wrap point and continue ascending from the lowest pitch to the max and return to lowest vice versa. Regard that A defaults to off (no vibrato) and thus must be set to make B take effect. But both must be set 0 to disable pitch envelope again.

Pressing the note icon button always resets A and B (removes pitch envelope). Then press 2x F (do not play a note) to keep parameters C..F of the previous sound.

* decay envelope + suboscillator (C)

This modifies the volume decay envelope. I haven't fully figured out the details. Apparently the decay switching frequency for the analogue decay circuit also acts as a suboscillator (e.g. bass) that may decay at different rates (pulse density modulation). Parameter C seems to particularly change the lowest level (like "sustain" in ADSR) to those the oscillator decay during held notes. Values >15 make it decay fully, and higher values decay faster. 0=no decay (plain continuous tone). 255=both decay fastest. Values in between seem to make the suboscillator decay slower and/or less low than the main oscillator and affect its pitch, which adds a buzzy zippernoise-like additional tone. It may be that the step width and -position of the decay get controlled this way.

Regard that while the default preset sound contains decay (C=255?), the first manual change of any parameters disables decay (sets C=0?), thus it needs to be set by hand if you don't want a continuous tone.

Normally the tone immediately stops by key release, although sometimes (using parameters A, B?) a short delay occurs. I don't know if there is a hidden parameter for this or just a glitch. (In opposite to this, the 8 preset sounds of effect mode can run a few seconds without holding a key.)

* square LFO suboscillator (D)

Parameter D sets a frequency ratio to modulate the main voice with a 1:1 square LFO at 100% depth, i.e. it chops the tone on and off with a selected fraction of the note pitch. (0=off, 1=fastest, 255=slowest). Low ratios (high frequencies) fall into the hearing range and so act as a suboscillator to produce a bass voice. E.g. 2 sounds an octave lower. Higher ratios make a purring buzz (like missing the ball in "Pong", or clangs from the Namco game "Bomb Bee") while even higher ratios make the tone toot on and off with a tempo proportional to the note pitch. Apparently this edits the waveform on a deeper level than a simple LFO, because combined with E and F it can turn the tone much lower and buzzier. So it may be that it inserts a blank piece into the waveform by halting the oscillator instead of muting it during zero.

* waveform suboscillator + volume envelope (E, F)

Parameter E and F do the same, thus the same sound is produced with both values exchanged. So I conclude that internally they may be arguments of an addition, multiplication or XOR to produce the resulting waveform and envelope. Setting at least one of these 0 or 1 disables the suboscillator. Regard that E defaults to off and thus must be set to something else to enable this suboscillator.

Parameter E/F add an at least 1 octave lower suboscillator with selectable waveforms that modulates the resulting tone with buzzy multipulse textures approximating linear volume envelopes. The modulation depth is 50% (unlike the the square LFO) and it has different timbres (0=off, 1=off, 2=on, 3..255=waveforms or noise). With E and F set to the same value and other than 0 or 1, the volume pulses high and low (square LFO similar like parameter D). Like D, small numbers produce bass voice; a bigger number pulses slower. When both values differ by 1, a kind of beat frequency modulates it with falling pulse duration envelope. Bigger differences make it beat faster, which may hint that the output is derived from a phasing process, which would explain the name "Phasor". Depending on the values, the pulse duration envelope can be falling sawtooth shape (difference 1), but gradually becomes faster and then triangular to irregular if the difference between E and F is set higher. Unlike parameter C, this envelope speed is proportional to the note pitch. Tones with low E/F difference can sound like hemisync bleeps of old mindmachines (of course here mono). Some high values can produce LFO-like tekkno sound loops those add rhythmic crackling or switch the suboscillator rhythmically on and off.

On oscilloscope the phasing/beating waveform has only 2 volume levels (about 50% and 100%) made from 2 mixed long multipulses. In total the audio is mixed through resistors from 4 digital pins, but the 3rd pin seems to not affect beating and the 4th is pulse density modulated decay envelope control, that also acts as a suboscillator. The logic analyzer reveals that only pin 16 outputs a complex repeating multipulse of falling PWM pulsewidth, that apparently intermodulates with plain squarewaves from pin 17 and 13.

The values seem to have no logical order, thus likely rather technical than ergonomical reasons. E.g. 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 32 add harmonic overtones, while 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 31 produce disharmonic noises. I suspect that the bits control an RNG algorithm like shiftregister feedback noise. Sometimes the same value even seems to randomly produce different timbres, so the internal state may produce varying bit loops when ratios are not prime and the random seed differs. Generally many sounds resemble POKEY (the famous Atari chip), but tend to be less disharmonic and have no detuned bass problems, so the frequency resolution is likely higher. Apparently it also fails to produce fully atonal hiss (except as part of effect noises). So its relation to POKEY is more like that of Phase Distortion to FM; despite similar principles, the character of the timbres and its parameters can substancially differ and make of it a unique sound source.

Also Parameter D affects the timbre and makes it even buzzier. So strongly detuned low notes can produce e.g. motor noises or tekkno drones. It may be that this function similar like noise modulation in phase distortion synths. Parameter B seems to also affect pitch of both suboscillators, hence high values can turn the tone even lower and produce more extreme noise when combined with waveforms of E/F.

Parameters D, E and F interact with each other in complex ways those can produce long tone and noise loops. I suspect that bit patterns of different lengths get XORed with each other or something similar, so they need to be treated as a whole. The tempo of everything they do is always proportional to the note pitch frequency. So the ascending pitch of the siren effect by parameter A and B can result in an accelerating throbbing statccato when pulsed by the LFO parameter D.

* octave prescaler

This seems to be an internal parameter that can not be set directly. But you can change the base octave of the synth by playing an effect noise, switching to synth mode and pressing 2x 'F', which leaves residues of the previous sound in RAM including the octave setting. Hence entering parameters C, D, E, F manually (A and B reset anyway) will now make them sound in the octave of the previously played effect noise.

* internal sounds

The "guitar" default preset is set automatically by playing a note after power on. It resembles the parameters (A=0, B=0, C=255?? , D=2, E=0? F=0?), but the tone is 1.5 octaves lower during attack, thus C and possibly A and B seem wrong. After power-on, pressing 2x "F" (enter) instead of a note prevents this and so keeps parts of the previous parameters in memory. When the last sound was the APO bass, it adjusts the synth to a very low short crackling buzz sound (A=0??, B=0??, C=255, D=255?, E=120?, F=255?). I find no obvious identical settings, because changing one parameter apparently resets others to "sane" values. This confusing behaviour was likely done to need less typing for popular synth patches.

The effect noises seem more complex than what can be manually done with synth parameters. Although I haven't fully researched details, I suspect that those "Living Sounds" contain additional preprogrammed fast envelope sequences. They are not supposed to be editable nor played on note keys, but when previously an effect noise was played, switching to synth mode and pressing 2x "F" keeps residues of it in memory. But only the "police car" timbre stays fully intact as an organ tone. The "boat" turns into a low organ tone, which lowest playable note is somewhat higher than that ship horn. Of the "ufo" part 1 and 2 (release button to stop) produce a fast purring noisy tone, but part 3 a surprising disharmonic semimetallic buzzing clang. From the "train" remains only a high organ beep (so its rough hiss noise is likely out of reach); "telephone" becomes the same. The "bee" turns into a buzzy kind of e-bass; stopping later makes it duller. Also "racing car" turns into a buzzy decaying bass. The "helicopter" becomes a (heavy metal chord?) noisy and buzzy low synth bass; if stopped later, the result is less buzzy with decay. The results can be a little random, likely depending on the exact time when the Living Sound gets stopped. But they can not be stopped at their begin at arbitrary spots (not even with "on" buttons) which hints that they occupy full CPU capacity with nothing left for sensing other buttons. The stop behaviour varies with the noise; e.g. "train" and "boat" need 1 second to recognize stop, while others stop faster.

note: Some of my conclusions may be completely wrong, and there may be hidden features in a way that certain entered numbers or individual bits in them may e.g. select FM operators or other modulation targets or set things from an internal list in unobvious ways. It feels like pushing random buttons on a DX-7 without display to figure out by ear how it works. This thing does program loop synthesis, i.e. it is a "dirty" softsynth that messes with internal parameters in all kinds of strange ways to generate a variety of different sounds from very little memory.
3 members like this
by hal3000
hal3000
The display for G&W Egg has been improved. The screen has been digitized from an actual game unit.

This is what the game looks like with the new display file:

Thanks to Mackapär (https://www.instagram.com/butikmackapar/) for lending out the game!
2 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Here is some artwork for the new scan Henrik did for Autoslalom:

It can be found here in the Non-Nintendo folder:
Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
2 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Here is some art for the last two G&W Egg clones of this batch: Morskaja ataka (Naval Attack) and Ataka asteroidov (Asteroid Attack). The naval game just has the background printed directly on paper so there is no transparency to reveal the darker background (like Night Burglars). These are in the Non-Nintendo folder on my Google Drive.

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]

Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
2 members like this
by Mr. Do
Mr. Do
Below stuff will be on its way to Sean, as soon as Skate or Die arrives here.
  • The one with no label is TMNT 2
  • The yellow is JPN version of Bottom of the Ninth

Little bummed, as I had also won a bid for Antarctic Adventure, then seller said it wasn't working, then pulled it, and couldn't get a hold of him again.

Anyway... putting this here, just to make sure no one accidentally double-dips.

[Linked Image from mrdo.mameworld.info]
2 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Artwork is up for Biathlon in the "Non Nintendo" folder in the link below. The background is printed on paper so it doesn't have the typical translucent backdrop with gray background. The game is an......interesting idea using the same ROM as G&W Egg and countless clones.

Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
2 members like this
by hap
hap
Sean was able to dump Mattel Basketball 2/Soccer 2, they are on dual COP420.

2 members like this
by hap
hap
And VTech 4 in 1 Electronic Games:
It's the handheld led version of The Game Machine

2 members like this
by hap
hap
Tsukuda Pachinko:

It's on a TMS2670
It was already decapped/dumped a year ago, but MCU emulation wasn't added to MAME until recently, when Sean obtained a TMS2100/2300 doc.
2 members like this
by hap
hap
There's already simple bg artwork: https://tsk-tsk.net/net/extart/
2 members like this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
I'm working up some artwork for these. I'm just waiting for a case scan which I should have soon.
2 members like this
by hap
hap
Gargoyles and Superman
They're the same ROM.

2 members like this
by JDGP030302
JDGP030302
Two useless but interesting G&W little details i noticed:

Super Mario Bros. have a neat little funny easter egg: if the alarm activates while the game runs and the player have three extra lives the "Alarm Koopa" will breathe fire (as normal) but with a smoke cloud appearing, giving the impression that it is burning the leftmost extra life icon. Guess that they wanted to use every single segment available (And you tought SMB was complex for an electronic handheld).

In Zelda the princess have four segments for the arms (check the svg) but when she appears in the game she never moves them. It gives me the impression that the 2 segments for the raised arms are unused (of course, outside of pressing the game button when putting the batteries or resetting the game).
1 member likes this
by hal3000
hal3000
Tronica: Space Mission has now been preserved in MAME smile

The game is based on the Sharp SM5A and the gameplay is similar to G&W Octopus.

Game case and inlay scans has been uploaded here. The inlay was hard to scan and is a bit dark. If someone wants me to redo it, please let me know and I can give it a try.
1 member likes this
by hal3000
hal3000
The artwork looks awesome, great work!

Thanks to MilanSK for lending out the unit from which the game and display was scanned from.
1 member likes this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Originally Posted by hap
@DarthMarino You forgot to update the top-left part. The real handheld simply has "ИМ" in a taller font.

Good catch. Updated.

1 member likes this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Artwork for Tronica's Thunder Ball can be found in the "Non-Nintendo" folder on my Google Drive linked below. Special thanks to Henrik for dumping the game and scanning the art files.

Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
1 member likes this
by kevtris
kevtris
I got the games earlier in the week and tonight I desoldered everything. All games do have HD388xx parts in them, but Defender is weird. It has a 64 pin shrink dip version of the HD38820, which I didn't even know existed! I will have to solder wires onto it to dump or something. It should dump fine, I just need to connect up to it. the Pucki and Monsters game has an HD38750 on it which is kind of surprising, since that has a smaller ROM than the usual HD38800. I can dump it, though so no big deal.

So I have 8 CPUs ready to dump.
1 member likes this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
To elaborate, we have the original green version of Judge dumped. There is a scoring error in Game B which gives one of the players an advantage in a certain situation. This was corrected by Nintendo and the fixed versions came in a purple case instead of green.

We also have the original version of the Mario's Cement Factory tabletop unit dumped. This plays a jingle when you start the game that sounds exactly like the bassline in "Another One Bites the Dust". Newer releases had an original jingle in it's place, most likely due to a rights issue.

Helmet originally had a glitch where you could get the game to have two characters on screen at once. The game code is CN-07. The corrected version that has been dumped lists CN-17 on the chip despite still saying CN-07 on the outside case. Besides opening the case as Just Desserts mentioned, the only other way to tell if it's an original CN-07 version is to get the game to glitch.
1 member likes this
by Rik
Rik
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
Judge is easy to track down. There are always a few on ebay. They just tend to be a bit pricey for what it is. There are Cement Factory's out there but they are even more money and would require the seller to figure out which song plays at the start. Helmet would be very tough to find the correct one. Even getting the glitch to work is fairly complicated and I doubt any seller would want to open their unit to find out which they have.

Maybe if someone was going to try, going for a low serial number on Helmet?
There's a couple in the 2 million range on eBay (and a lot in the 4 - 10 million range, so 2m seems low...) That's assuming they are numbered sequentially and 2 million is even low enough to get the version we want. (And one odd one with a V0062134 serial. Only one out of all of them on eBay with a letter like that...)

Do we know the serial of the one that was dumped?
1 member likes this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
There is some information here about the Helmet glitch (including how to do it) and its lists the 2nd edition of Helmet units starting with the SN 131xxxxx though that doesn't line up with the unit Henrik dumped.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090511074031/http://www.geocities.com/gwfaq/index2.html
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
MCU label serial is 700P (Coleco version is 701P), so yes, even though on Youtube the gameplay and sounds seem identical to the Coleco version, it is probably a different program revision.

The VFD differences are very small. Not just the vans, also see the top half, frog 'death' sprite at the edges.
1 member likes this
by Rik
Rik
Ahh, all I could find was the VFD itself, and the joystick... I guess I had a broken one and got rid of the rest of it.
I snagged the board from eBay. At least if the VFD is bad on his I have a spare for getting a good picture of, and might even be able to get it working. smile
1 member likes this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Here's some artwork for Fowling. It can be found in the Non-Nintendo folder on my Google Drive.

Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
1 member likes this
by Rik
Rik
Originally Posted by Dullaron
Is the Frogger Gakken game board bad? I just wondering,

Got the board yesterday. Connected a speaker and power, and the game does seem to work (as he said in the auction). I can hear it, and I can move the frog, but the VFD doesn't come on. No obvious damage, did a quick transistor check and they are fine, so might be some other component or the VFD itself...
But at least the CPU works. I'll send it off to Kevin for dumping, and can include another VFD just in case.

Kevin- do you have an easy way to just power up a VFD with all the elements lit? Just not sure how to test it easily... smile
1 member likes this
by kevtris
kevtris
yes I can light up the VFD so long as the other parts are present. That's how I been doing the vfd captures so far; I wire them up so all the segments light using the power supply on the game
1 member likes this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
Artwork for Hockey (Khokkey) up in the Non-Nintendo folder of my Google Drive.

Game & Watch/LCD Artwork
1 member likes this
by Just Desserts
Just Desserts
I tend to agree with simzy on this one.

My impression has always been that MAME tends to go out of its way to preserve hardware bugs. I would argue that given the LCD/VFD being such a critical component of these games - they're not like arcade machines where you can hook them up to any monitor - accurately preserving printing errors and the like is important.

With part of the value of MAME being in its dispassionate documentation of history, a manufacturing defect is practically the textbook definition of the sort of thing that it should preserve. Games didn't exist in a vacuum, poor manufacturing tolerances or standards is an important thing not to varnish over.

If these printing/manufacturing defects are so relatively few and far between, how much additional workload would it be to provide a "fixed" set of artwork as a separate artwork file, while keeping the SVG within the ROMset itself as accurate as possible to the source material?

There's always going to be some level of variation, as the SVG is being done by a human manually tracing over photos, and this is exacerbated when it comes to VFD games due to the grating that sits between the segments and the camera. But in my belief, things like asymmetry, or visually bridged segments, should be the presentation given to users so as to preserve an accurate first impression of a title.
1 member likes this
by Vas Crabb
Vas Crabb
As someone who has successfully carried out TEMPEST-style attacks against various kinds of devices and transmission lines for fun and profit, right up to reproducing the image from an LCD monitor in a different room, you have no clue what you’re talking about. For reasons that would take too long to explain here if you don’t already understand, it’s not going to let you read the ROM out of a microcontroller.

TV detector vans actually did exist, at least in the UK, although I don’t know whether they were used in Germany. CRTs radiate a lot of electromagnetic energy, and older CRTs produced detectable amounts of X-ray radiation as well (the electron beam(s) striking the anode have high enough energy to produce X-rays, but newer CRTs use materials that provide better shielding). Big active matrix LCDs actually radiate even more energy than CRTs – the transparent conductive grid used to drive the pixels acts like a big radiating antenna, and there’s usually nothing in front of it providing significant attenuation. Surreptitiously recreating the image displayed on a monitor by detecting the electromagnetic emissions is generally referred to as Van Eck phreaking, after Wim van Eck, who demonstrated it in the mid ’80s.

Radar detector detectors are real as well, and work by detecting electromagnetic emissions from the RF downconverters in the radar detectors. Newer radar detectors have far lower emissions, so they’re a lot harder to detect than the older ones were.
1 member likes this
by Vas Crabb
Vas Crabb
Seriously, you have no clue what you’re talking about, but if you won’t accept it from me telling you, put your money where your mouth is and demonstrate a practical attack on a chip. Otherwise, just shut up and stop derailing threads.
1 member likes this
by alexb
alexb
I hope everyone will enjoy playing them!
1 member likes this
by Just Desserts
Just Desserts
Originally Posted by simzy39
Would you agree on:
1. The info on the promotional uses of each G&W game in the driver (small descriptive details too); and,
2. The art/face of each one so that users can select them. (I know the rom isn't different, but it allows a user to see the history promotional face/version of the G&W.)

No? Because unless the person who owns all these promo items is willing to provide this info, what are you even talking about?

Go get the info, then we can discuss how to actually put it in. Otherwise you're basically going "Hey, this other person has things, all you other people, go do something." Nah, it doesn't work that way.
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
Sean decapped Entex Blast It (TMS1000), see below for MAME screenshot.

1 member likes this
by hap
hap
and Tiger Deluxe Football

1 member likes this
by hap
hap
And Bandai TC7

1 member likes this
by hap
hap
SMB3 and SMW are added as 'not working' since Sean didn't scan the LCD yet. They're on SM530.
There are probably some others on this MCU too.

Zelda and SMB(1) are on OKI MSM5055. Bits are visible on the die.
1 member likes this
by Mr. Do
Mr. Do
Originally Posted by hap
For the overlays?
ranger_lennier did that in 2011 for all 12 games, res size around 1200x2500 for each.

Where are these at? I've only seen the images in Raph Koster's emulator... they all seem like they were tilted a bit when scanned. And did RL scan with just the overlay? Or with the Microvision header and bottom controller also attached? (It would be better if it was just the overlay).

Originally Posted by Al Kossow
Someone just gave me a MicroVision with a half-dozen games
Is there any need for high resolution shots of them?

Depending on what the other scans look like... might not hurt?

(BTW... I'm not gone... just that normal job has consumed me... I haven't touched any artwork in almost 16 months, which has made me really sad.)
(Hoping to get back in the swing of things "sometime this year.")
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
Let's pretend for a second Nintendo R.O.B. is a handheld, then I can post about it here.
Sean dumped a couple of Sharp SM590 MCUs in 2017(eg. NES/SNES lockout chips), and Lord Nightmare (the guy above me in this thread right here) started writing SM590 emulation as a subdevice of SM510. Last week after I worked on SM530/Nelsonic stuff, I finished MAME's SM590 emulation, and added the ROB that also uses a SM590.
It uses a similar lightsensor as the NES Zapper, so I don't think it would have worked were it not for kmg's recent improvements on that.

It's even more useless than the real ROB since the physics are not simulated, but may be fun to try once.
mame nes gyromite -special rob -numscreens 2

1 member likes this
by hap
hap
B6001 is Missile Attack / Space Alert.
The Ski Slalom manual gameplay description matches 1:1 with Auto Race. Except of course it's upside-down, and they call the background sound "slush". I definitely wouldn't call Auto Race's background sound "slush" :P
There's no youtube videos for Ski Slalom. There is one that shows the game running in LEDhead (an old Mattel handhelds simulator) and on that one it has the same sounds as Auto Race.

Originally Posted by Dullaron
I ran into two different videos of the Armor Battle by Mattel. One only showing red round dots and the other is showing red tanks. Tanks only pointing up.

Ah, it looks like the games on Hitachi MCU are by Bandai.
HD38132 Submarine
HD38133 Combat
HD38134 Champion Racer
HD38135 Golf Game
HD38136 Missile Invader
1 member likes this
#120764 Apr 17th a 03:38 AM
by kevtris
kevtris
Well I finally took pics of the VFDs and pinned out that last batch of handheld games. I dumped the micros too but I don't have any way to test if the dumps are good. There's one to go, and I haven't dumped it yet since I need to use one of the adapters for the QFPs on it, and I don't want to remove the chips from them until the dumps are tested good. The last chip is a shrink dip package, so I will have to wire it in with 30-some wires to dump it and I only want to do that once. This is the first time I have encountered the sdip package for these. If I find any others I should probably make adapters.

I took a bunch of VFD pics of each game at different exposure levels, so hopefully that will help with vectoring them.

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Handhelds/VFD%20Games/Bombman/
http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Handhelds/VFD%20Games/Gakken%20Defender/
http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Handhelds/VFD%20Games/Kampf%20Der%20Monster/
http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Handhelds/VFD%20Games/Kiteyo%20Parman/
http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Handhelds/VFD%20Games/Operation%20Z/
http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Handhelds/VFD%20Games/Pucki%20and%20Monsters/
http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Handhelds/VFD%20Games/Toukon%20Jyuohmaru/

Toukon Jyuohmaru had a bad VFD but I still managed to get pictures of it lit and pin it out. Some of the filament wires are broken. It looks like one of the grids is bent up slightly inside and it caused it to touch at some point. This isn't the first time I have seen that.

Defender has the SDIP part so it isn't dumped yet, but I did all the VFD pictures and pinned it out in preparation.

Once the dumps are verified I can stick all these back together and return them.
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
at hydef's https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Pv-LGpdKXlvgDXMEobhVfGbqVGA07v2a
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
Here they are https://tsk-tsk.net/net/temp/vfd_svg.zip
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
If it's green, it just means the colors have degraded a lot after all these years.

I think it applies to more VFD games, but it's very hard to tell which ones were originally yellow, when all video references are relatively recent. It doesn't help when games have touched-up photos on the box. Tomy Tron's box art has yellow instead of green for example, but does not look like an untampered VFD photo.
Or even fake VFDs in commercials, like Epoch Dracula here:
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
1 member likes this
by simzy39
simzy39
Just in case you both haven't seen it, here is the blog with the photos of the system and list of parts, etc.:
https://slydc.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-microcomputer-mahjong.html
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
Right, his email address is on his site:
https://www.seanriddle.com/
1 member likes this
by SomeRandomGuyIdk
SomeRandomGuyIdk
I've been working on some Bellfruit fruit machines for the past month or so... turns out one of them uses a TMS1000 for sound:

The chip in question is MP0027A which was originally used in the Chroma-Chime doorbell.
I was wondering if anyone might already have one of these as I'm seeing that MP0027 got documented in hh_tms1k.cpp recently?
The original and A version should be compatible, the songs on them are the same at least. Even if nobody has one, we found
a doorbell that should 99% have the chip in it on US eBay and there's folks willing to put the money in to get it dumped.
Nothing critical here as it's just for one machine, but would be nice to get a chip sent to Sean or anybody else doing the decapping
and get it dumped at some point.
1 member likes this
by Dullaron
Dullaron
I had this one when I was little. Epoch-Man

UK is the Mini-Munchman in yellow.

Japan is the Pak-Pak Man 2 in green.

All should have the same game play.
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
I improved the Game Master handheld console emulation, all the games work well enough now.
updated driver here: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/handheld/gmaster.cpp

What was fixed:
CPU was twice as slow and sound didn't work much, maybe this was a regression.
LCD chip was unknown, turns out it's 2 SED1520, and that fixed a bunch of gfx.
CPU core had a carry flag bug, fixing that fixed some misplaced gfx.

The games are really really bad, I don't feel any effort put into them to make them fun to play.
It's not due to the limited hardware, the soccer game shows that you can have smooth paced action.
But I'm sure the thousands of kids that got this thing instead of the Game Boy did have one or two games they actually liked to play.

These reviews by ashens are fun:

1 member likes this
by DarthMarino
DarthMarino
OK, thanks. I updated it.
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
overlays: https://imgur.com/a/fLgN1JJ
1 member likes this
by Osso
Osso
A list has been started here: https://undumped.miraheze.org/wiki/..._Plug_%27n%27_Play%27s_and_LCD_Handhelds
Obviously very incomplete and possibly even not up to date to what's been dumped, but instead of duplicating efforts maybe you could update that?
1 member likes this
by simzy39
simzy39
Great!
So, this series of handhelds is apparently called 'Surf', and there are 12 undumped ones (11 if BBQ Sauce is just Lone Ranger).
I've made a list here with pics: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dx-L7s6B7L8_kfbHWEpT8G5UL5xMe86EqNVONry4mHE/edit

In the same file, I'm now adding the 'Plate' series (1992 series).
1 member likes this
by Mr. Do
Mr. Do
Not a scan, but pretty good?

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
1 member likes this
by hap
hap
Can you upload the other pcb photos?
Here is R7 at 2.7K(red violet red) and 270(red violet brown): https://tsk-tsk.net/net/temp/sfx_r7.zip

- power on
- synth mode
- press a note key (resets parameters)
- F12C
- play keys EDCBA
- F30C
- play keys EDCBA

Which one sounds more like the real one?
I don't mean the pitch or the decay rate, but the buzz in the background, especially on F30C with R7=2.7K.

Youtube video of Coleco Galaxian, fast foward to 2:30

Sound is too high pitch for me to determine by ear if it's a saw wave. And I don't really care what the exact waveform is, just that it's not simple enough to simulate accurately without a netlist in MAME.
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
1 members (eberhab), 49 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,158
Posts119,953
Members5,034
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com