Thread Like Summary
Duke, Golden Child, mixmaster, R. Belmont
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by rfka01
rfka01
I think we don't have a dedicated 8 bit Apple thread yet - I came across an Apple /// blog that also has disk images, rom listings and a lot of information.

http://drop-iii-inches.com/

The earlier posts warp back to the time the Apple III driver in MESS became funcional smile
Liked Replies
by R. Belmont
R. Belmont
Rob Justice emailed me mostly complete support for two 68008 cards for the Apple II, and here's CP/M-68K running after I cleaned things up a bit.

[Linked Image from rbelmont.mameworld.info]
2 members like this
by Vas Crabb
Vas Crabb
The promised RS-232 patch box has been added, so you can loop back control lines and other tricks without adding hacks to every serial device.

The actual source has been added now, too. Sorry everyone.
2 members like this
by paulhagstrom
paulhagstrom
Perfect, thanks! (And astoundingly quick work!) I managed to compile and launch it, and I too am now seeing the monitor working properly.
1 member likes this
by Golden Child
Golden Child
After studying the schematics and datasheets for awhile, I was able to get the imagewriter to do its self test.

It's not quite right and a little hacky, but I'm happy to get something working.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
by Golden Child
Golden Child
I hooked up the dtr of the 8251 to the dsr of the rs232 and that seemed to help with the flow control issues since it should only send data when the device is ready.
Code
m_uart->dtr_handler().set(FUNC(apple_imagewriter_printer_device::dtr_handler));

void dtr_handler(uint8_t data) 
{
	output_dsr(data);
}

Giving print shop a try, looks like I need to adjust the margins a little.

1 member likes this
by Golden Child
Golden Child
After trying to get the imagewriter to fire the pins in a "simple" way which didn't work properly, why not try to hook up a 74123 according to the schematic.

It wouldn't fire at all until I got the right values for the R and C which didn't appear on the sams schematic correctly, but were specified on the apple schematic as .022uF, 18K ohms, and 1000PF, 10K ohms:

Code
	TTL74123(config, m_pulse1, 10000, 1000e-12);     // second stage (hooked up to 1 section of 74123)
	m_pulse1->set_connection_type(TTL74123_NOT_GROUNDED_NO_DIODE);
	m_pulse1->set_clear_pin_value(1);  // not clear
	m_pulse1->set_b_pin_value(1);
	m_pulse1->out_cb().set(FUNC(apple_imagewriter_printer_device::pulse1_out_handler));

TTL74123(config, m_pulse2, 18000, .022E-6);  // first stage  (hooked up to 2 section of 74123)
	m_pulse2->set_connection_type(TTL74123_GROUNDED);
	m_pulse2->out_cb().set(FUNC(apple_imagewriter_printer_device::pulse2_out_handler));
	m_pulse2->set_clear_pin_value(1);

Now 2gs beagle write will print on Standard/Best:

1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 39 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,980
Posts117,959
Members5,003
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com