Home Page
Posted By: PhillHS 80186 emulation - 11/27/09 08:18 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the 80186 CPU emulation also emulates the built in periperal chips such as the DMA controler, timer/counter and address select unit ?

Or does it only emulate the processor core ?

Cheers,

Phill.
Posted By: Kale Re: 80186 emulation - 11/28/09 02:15 PM
No, it emulates just the processor core, and iirc the version you are referring to is the AM186-EM / AM188-EM?
Posted By: Phil Bennett Re: 80186 emulation - 11/28/09 06:33 PM
The peripherals were part of the original Intel 80186.
Posted By: AaronGiles Re: 80186 emulation - 11/28/09 07:42 PM
A good chunk of the peripherals are implemented in mame/audio/leland.c. Using that as a starting point would be a good idea.
Posted By: PhillHS Re: 80186 emulation - 11/30/09 12:22 AM
Originally Posted By AaronGiles
A good chunk of the peripherals are implemented in mame/audio/leland.c. Using that as a starting point would be a good idea.

That code looks very like the code in the mess compis driver, which I saw after posting my original query. I used that as a base.

I'm trying to reverse engineer the RM Nimbus 186 based PC, unfortunatly I don't have any documentation for the hardware, fortunatly I do have 2 working machines smile

Cheers,

Phill.
Posted By: incog Re: 80186 emulation - 11/30/09 11:25 AM
Awesome! I've actually been looking for an RM Nimbus to dump the roms from as I used many when I was at school.

They are kinda PC compatible but not fully, I remember them running a version of windows 3.1 for workgroups, a port of access and some RM logo app.

I guess I can call off the search now, thanks smile
Posted By: Tomas K Re: 80186 emulation - 12/03/09 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By PhillHS

That code looks very like the code in the mess compis driver, which I saw after posting my original query. I used that as a base.

Yes, the code was copied from the leland driver. However, it should have been cleaned up and also separated to a 186/188 module.
Posted By: PhillHS Re: 80186 emulation - 12/06/09 03:17 PM
Originally Posted By Tomas K
Originally Posted By PhillHS

Yes, the code was copied from the leland driver. However, it should have been cleaned up and also separated to a 186/188 module.

***AND*** It should have meaningfull variable names in update_interrupt_state and handle_eoi for example, using i and j for the loops only serves to obscure the function of the code where something like priority and int_no would make much more sense.

Cheers.

Phill.
Posted By: AaronGiles Re: 80186 emulation - 12/06/09 11:03 PM
Feel free to fix it. I defer to your superior coding style.
Posted By: PhillHS Re: 80186 emulation - 12/06/09 11:29 PM
Feel free to fix it. I defer to your superior coding style.

I have in the rm driver smile

Phill.
© Forums