Home Page

Why so complicated?

Posted By: killerclick

Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 03:21 AM

It took me two hours to set up MESS! Way more complicated than installing an operating system.

Can anyone tell me how to run tzx files on the ZX Spectrum emulator? I double click the file in the picker and it just loads the Spectrum prompt (that doesn't seem to work properly).
Posted By: R. Belmont

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 04:14 AM

Well, it's like the commercials say, if your MESS setting up lasts more than 4 minutes, contact a professional ;-)

tzx is a tape image, right? You'd type whatever you'd type on your real Spectrum to load and run a tape.

Oh, and this thread from a few days ago indicates that Spectrum wasn't working properly in 0.137 - are you using the 0.137 release or do you have a more recent build (either an SVN pull or Bobz's auto-build)?
Posted By: Curt Coder

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 07:00 AM

Just out of curiosity, which is the hard part in installing MESS? You unzip the binaries and place the BIOSes in the roms folder.
Posted By: etabeta78

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 07:30 AM

maybe setting up the directory for the software (so that UI finds it in the picker)? but I doubt it can take 2 hours...
Posted By: ASH

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By killerclick

Can anyone tell me how to run tzx files on the ZX Spectrum emulator? I double click the file in the picker and it just loads the Spectrum prompt (that doesn't seem to work properly).

All you are doing is placing the TZX (a spectrum tape image) in the tape recorder
you then have to type LOAD "" enter for it to work (depending on what model you are using)

48k - press the J key (this will give you LOAD)
then press the Right Shift key *keep it pressed* and press p twice (this will give you "")
then press Enter

128k - select tape loader - enter

now you have to start the tape

if you are using the New UI it's in the menu's at the top right of the screen

if not...

Press 'scroll lock'

then press TAB (just above caps lock)
now using the cursor keys highlight Tape Control - press Enter
and highlight Play - press Enter

then press TAB to exit these menu's
and the tape should load (but the tape player is playing up in 136)

Now if you want to run games straight away without all that MESSing smile about...

place Z80 or SNA files in you software folder and these will auto run.

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By Curt Coder
Just out of curiosity, which is the hard part in installing MESS? You unzip the binaries and place the BIOSes in the roms folder.

Figuring the fact that BIOSes don't come with the emulator for one. Then finding a BIOS. Then wondering why it still says it can't find the BIOS although it's in the picker. Then finding out in the instructions that it's supposed to be zipped (why??).

Now it doesn't seem that complicated but it was 2am and I just wanted to see if I remember any of the Spectrum games, play for a few minutes and then go to bed.

Btw, I still don't know how to use the tzx tape files!

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 12:42 PM

Ahh, so you've never used an emulator before? The whole BIOSes-don't-come-with-it and must-remain-zipped is quite standard.

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 12:43 PM

Thanks Ash, it's working now.

Wow, that tape-loading sequence triggered a flashback!

Well that was complicated. I can't beleive I actually knew how to do this when I was five years old. I must've been a genius or something. smile
Posted By: franciscohs

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By killerclick

Btw, I still don't know how to use the tzx tape files!

From what I read, you wouldn't know how to load tapes in the original machine either, if you had one...

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Ahh, so you've never used an emulator before? The whole BIOSes-don't-come-with-it and must-remain-zipped is quite standard.

Well I've used MAME and DOSBox. MAME just needs a game ROM and DOSBox doesn't need MS DOS. Anyway it's working now and I'm already bored. Back to Mass Effect 2. Long live progress!

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 01:04 PM

Well, no, MAME needs BIOSes for a lot of popular games (notably NeoGeo) and it prefers everything remain zipped.
Posted By: etabeta78

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 03:01 PM

FWIW, instructions to load cassettes in the spectrum and spec128 have been added to sysinfo (in the Wiki... I hope the actual .dat will be updated eventually)

you can check

http://mess.redump.net/sysinfo:spectrum
http://mess.redump.net/sysinfo:spec128

also, for a general introduction to common MESS usage, the user manual can be found here:

http://mess.redump.net/mess:howto

and for system specific usage

http://mess.redump.net/sysinfo

Posted By: mizapf

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 06:44 PM

DOSBox is a good example of not being an emulator. If you had mentioned VirtualBox or so, then you'd see that it won't run until you install some operating system, probably MS-DOS. So you cannot assume that an emulator brings the operating systems with it. In some cases, though, there are free implementations of DOS which may be distributed along with the systems.

For the emulated systems in MESS, you simply cannot include all ROMs. Not only because of the mere number, but from a legal point of view. And the copyright laws are very different from country to country.

(Working with MESS I finally understood why "WINE Is Not an Emulator" smile )

Michael

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/19/10 06:55 PM

Well, there's a split there. DOSBox itself is an emulator - it emulates the CPU and PC hardware just like MESS does. AFAIK you can actually turn off the DOS simulation and boot a real operating system on it.

The DOS simulation in it that everyone uses by default is basically WINE for DOS (DINE?). It traps out to native not-emulated code and thus the code doesn't occupy conventional memory, which can be a real plus.
Posted By: mizapf

Re: Why so complicated? - 03/20/10 11:27 AM

Ah, OK ... guess I mixed it up with DOSEMU (at least what I know from earlier versions - they seem to have integrated a CPU emulation here as well in the meantime).

Michael
© 2020 Forums