Home Page
OK...whenever I try to run the CD-i Part of the Emulator, it just doesn't work. Using mess.exe, it just won't start, giving me the whole "One or required images are missing" crap, and if I run it from MESSUI.exe, it starts, but it just hangs at the light blue screen. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you. smile
Here is a guide to setup mess: http://easyemu.mameworld.info/messguide/mess-guide.html

First-of the error says most probably you need Bios files for the system, thus for the CD-i, you need it'd bios files. And we don't give it here. Google's your friend for that.

I have the BIOS Files, but I'll read that guide. Thanks. smile If it doesn't work, I'll reply here again.
The blue startup screen takes a while to go away, and will take much longer if you aren't getting 100% speed. Also, only one of the CD-i models actually works (cdimono1 I think it's called).
Oh my god, I could hug you! After I increased the speed to 3.00 in the properties, it worked! Thank you SOOOOO much! laugh If I continue to experience problems, I'll definitely come back here first! Now if only I could get my CHD files to work. Perhaps I converted them wrong?
Eh, I can't really guarantee that any given game will work in MESS. The emulation is based around information disseminated to me indirectly about black-boxed emulation of the two major microcontrollers on the Mono-I motherboards (CDIC and SLAVE).

Realistically, we need to obtain a CD-i console that was based around the CDIC and SLAVE chips, which are 68HC05 microcontrollers with on-board ROM. We have one that was based on some other combo of support hardware, but not only is the baseline 68k SoC guaranteed to have the same capabilities as the Mono-I board that I emulated in MESS, I would rather drive spikes through my eyes than try to emulate the DSP56k that's part of the console we currently have dumped.
I saw a Video on Youtube of Zelda's Adventure working in MESS, but I can't seem to get my ripped copy to start. Once again, it hangs at the light blue screen.
If you aren't getting to at least the boot screen where you click on Play to start the game, it's not the CHD's fault.
I'm getting to the boot screen, just not past it. I guess I should have mentioned that.
You are clicking on "Play" to start the game then?
Yep. After that, it hangs at the light blue screen no matter how long I wait.
you have to click with the mouse button, or press TAB and remap mouse buttons to keyboard buttons (e.g. Ctrl and Alt)
I did click the Play button. Like I said before, it just hangs.
I misread that line
Oh. Well, I still need help with this hanging issue. Anyone?
It must be your CHD as the software list version works on my MESS
(CD-i (Mono-I)(PAL)) SoftList game 'zeldaadv'

Although it does crash when I play it but that's do be expected as I am warned before I play smile

I'm a bit concerned at the prior claim that an older CHDMAN version converts correctly and a later version doesn't...

I'm not aware of any specific issues with CDi games, except for the CDi-Ready discs, of which this is not one.

I guess it comes down to what you ripped it with too...

I can confirm Zelda should boot (but hang when you leave the first location due to CDi emulation bugs)

I don't think there is anything weird with CDi discs like there is with PCE ones that might make the rip bad.
Originally Posted By Haze
I'm a bit concerned at the prior claim that an older CHDMAN version converts correctly and a later version doesn't...

That isn't what's really happening - the tool that comes with the commercial emulator drives chdman directly and the parameters are slightly different now.

I assume on the self-ripped disc that CHDMAN is printing out errors and he's not telling us about it ;-)
Superredd try this and see if it works, as I had the same problem testing today, with the Software list.

Start the CD-i Driver, wait for the boot logo press play and wait a few seconds then press F3. Should start once you press start at the boot screen
Thanks to a suggestion in another Topic I started, I got the games started, but they all crash at some point or another. Examples:

Zelda's Adventure - Crashes when I try to transition between screens.

Link: The Faces of Evil - Crashes when I try to talk to an NPC.
that's expected behavior, the driver isn't 100% functional yet.

Some games work better than others.

Things like Dimo's Quest seem fully playable, others have issues as you observe.

Needs some chips decapping to improve the emulation with any level of confidence.

The chips are at dr. decap's place now, waiting to hear from him.

LN
speaking of decaps.. it would be good to get some more early Data East ones done, afaik they're 'easy' chips (he did a bunch of them before) and in most cases they control significant aspects of the game, which require non-trivial simulations. The Karnov driver, for example, is mostly MCU sim code..

Birdie Try, Kale says there was a pcb sold for $0.01 on ebay a while back, and that doesn't work *entirely* due to the protection, dunno why that wasn't picked up smirk

now back to the scheduled topic ;-)

Originally Posted By Lord Nightmare

LN

Which is, as I said in the thread earlier, all well and good, but emulating that particular model of CD-i is a horse of a different color and will require a completely new driver to be re-written. Also likely major bugfixes and additions to the DSP56k core currently in MESS, which - again, as stated earlier in the thread - is something I would like to do less than repeatedly punching myself in the dong.

Edit: And also, SuperRedd, why are you so insistent on playing these execrable Zelda games? You'll probably end up wanting to punch yourself in the dong once you play them, too, so why not avoid the pain?
Originally Posted By Just Desserts
Originally Posted By Lord Nightmare

LN

Which is, as I said in the thread earlier, all well and good, but emulating that particular model of CD-i is a horse of a different color and will require a completely new driver to be re-written. Also likely major bugfixes and additions to the DSP56k core currently in MESS, which - again, as stated earlier in the thread - is something I would like to do less than repeatedly punching myself in the dong.

Edit: And also, SuperRedd, why are you so insistent on playing these execrable Zelda games? You'll probably end up wanting to punch yourself in the dong once you play them, too, so why not avoid the pain?

Actually, I've played them before, and I enjoy them, that's why. I even did an LP (Let's Play) of Zelda: Wand of Gamelon a while back.
© Forums