Home Page
Posted By: IanFarquhar New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 10/05/11 08:08 AM
I own a very rare computer which is, as yet, not in MESS. I would be happy to send it to anyone in the MESSdev team for analysis and inclusion in MESS. It's the Hanimex Pencil II, and here's the info on it:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=136

The process of emulating it should be fairly straightforward, as it's basically a Colecovision with a keyboard.

I'm based in Australia. Happy to cover the shipping costs, within reason. I figure there are probably only 2-3 of these left in the world, and I don't want to see it disappear entirely. I *think* I also have some software for it.

I don't need it back.

BTW, I (somewhere) also have kept the EPROMs and service manual for the Philips P2200 "luggable" CP/M computer. The computer itself was a beast, and I didn't keep it, but the manuals contain the full schematics. I also have the software. Same offer applies for this, although the hardware is less interesting as it's yet another boring CP/M-80 system.
Posted By: Robbbert Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 10/05/11 08:30 AM
Interesting... why I did I never hear of this? The Hanimex brand is quite familiar of course, but not that computer.

I'm in Australia fwiw.
Posted By: Anna Wu Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 10/05/11 05:51 PM
Very interesting and rare computer. smile

Posted By: Sune Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 10/06/11 12:03 AM
The Pencil was probably intended to compete with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattel_Aquarius

Colecovision vs. Intellivision = Aquarius vs. Hanimex Pencil

Never heard of the Pencil either but I remember magazine ads for the Aquarius at the time.

Both of them lost, by 1983/84 (in Denmark anyway) it was all ZX Spectrum/C64/Amstrad CPC 464.

Posted By: Anna Wu Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 10/06/11 04:18 AM
Originally Posted By Sune
The Pencil was probably intended to compete with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattel_Aquarius

Colecovision vs. Intellivision = Aquarius vs. Hanimex Pencil

Never heard of the Pencil either but I remember magazine ads for the Aquarius at the time.

Both of them lost, by 1983/84 (in Denmark anyway) it was all ZX Spectrum/C64/Amstrad CPC 464.

Do not forget the Coleco Adam which was not really successful too. smile
Posted By: IanFarquhar Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 10/28/11 09:15 AM
Stupid me forgot to subscribe to this thread, so I didn't see the replies. My apologies, all.

So I acquired this Pencil II in either 1986 or 1987. At the time I was working for Grace Bros (a department store in Oz, now called Myer). We had a whole pallet of these going to the compactor to be destroyed, and I asked my boss if I could buy one for $5. He agreed. I also have some software (cassettes) for it somewhere, I think.

The photos above are exactly what I have, except I did also retain the original box, too. It's a bit beaten up after almost 25 years, but....

I really can't keep old stuff like this, but if someone can give it a good home (and moreso if someone can arrange it's porting to MESS), I'd be very happy.
Posted By: Micko Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 10/28/11 09:26 AM
Hi,

we are also interested in that Philips computer, is it P2000C model (http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/computer.asp?c=846) ?

Micko
Posted By: Robbbert Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 10/28/11 11:05 AM
Grace Bros was a Sydney retail chain, so if you're still in Sydney I'd be happy to collect the stuff smile
Posted By: Robbbert Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 10/31/11 06:12 AM
No more news on this?
Posted By: starlord Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 01/10/12 09:07 AM
Hello to all! Sorry for necrothreading this, but I wanted to know exactly the amount of hardware/software revolving around the pencil 2:

I know of a coleco emulator and of 2 native games (secret garden and that diver game). Might anyone have more info? this seems to be one of the systems with the fewest games I've ever seen (fewer even than the aquarius or the french EXL100).

Thanks for your imput.
Posted By: Anna Wu Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 01/10/12 09:19 AM
As far as I can see, we are still waiting for any further response of IanFarquhar.
Posted By: IanFarquhar Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 01/11/12 08:17 AM
Robbert,

Just got a ping on another forum.

Yes, I am in Sydney (North-West area not too far from Castle Hill).

The Philips stuff is the P2200, not the P2000. As I said, that isn't a full system, just ROMs, manuals and software (the manuals contain full schematics). I can lay my hands on the Pencil II anytime, although I'll need to excavate the P2200 stuff from storage. I'll do that this weekend. The actual hardware itself is a typical CP/M-80 system, but with a MS-DOS compatible disk controller. It could read IBM 360K floppy disks.

My direct email address is iXXaXXnf@dXXreaXXmscape.com.auXX (remove the XX's).
Posted By: Robbbert Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 01/12/12 07:12 AM
Email sent. Castle Hill is way over the other side of the city from me, hours away, and I've never been there. Hopefully he'll take up my suggestion of coming to Parramatta, which isn't too far away from him. smile
Posted By: Just Desserts Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 01/12/12 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By kuro
I like all comment !!

Comment edited to contain spam in 3...2...1...
Posted By: Robbbert Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 02/07/12 06:29 AM
Thanks to IanFarquhar, who visited me at Parramatta today, I now have my hands on this computer.

It came with:
original box and foam
base unit
6 tapes
power supply
cassette lead
lead to connect to TV set
basic 2.0 cart

Unfortunately there are no manuals..

Next weekend I'll open it and attempt to dump the roms.
Posted By: Anna Wu Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 02/07/12 07:22 AM
Nice smile
Posted By: starlord Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 03/31/12 09:48 AM
that's excellent news! Great indeed. might anyone have the pencil games, basic and demonstration carts/tapes? I know of people who do, however they are in france...
Posted By: Anna Wu Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 01/07/14 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By Robbbert
Thanks to IanFarquhar, who visited me at Parramatta today, I now have my hands on this computer.

It came with:
original box and foam
base unit
6 tapes
power supply
cassette lead
lead to connect to TV set
basic 2.0 cart

Unfortunately there are no manuals..

Next weekend I'll open it and attempt to dump the roms.

Robbbert, you was able to dump the tapes? smile
Posted By: Robbbert Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 02/20/15 03:03 PM
Yes, it has been done at last.
Posted By: craiganderson Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 02/22/15 01:03 PM
can somebody share the roms/games? thank you
Posted By: Robbbert Re: New MESS Target: Hanimex Pencil II - 02/24/15 04:00 AM
Normally I'd say that google is your friend, but not this time. It only seems to scan my site about once a month...
© Forums