Home Page

mess.ini

Posted By: DoctorVell

mess.ini - 08/22/12 04:39 PM

Hi there,

I recently downloaded and installed M.E.S.S. on my Ubuntu (12.04 LTS) Linux (followed the steps that were listed on the website). I load it up and it tells me that it can not find any of the ROMS. What I am wondering is do those roms have to be unzipped or can they be zipped and left in the folder. It says it can not find them (they're zipped currently). These are the roms for the units NOT the games. Do I put those in a separate folder or what? The site is not really much help thanks smile
Posted By: qmc2

Re: mess.ini - 08/22/12 04:44 PM

Either use the command line argument '-rompath <path_to_your_roms>' (or '-rp <path_to_your_roms>') to specify the path to your ROM files, or specify that same info in mess.ini (as 'rompath <path_to_your_roms>').

The default rom-path is './roms' (or just 'roms'), that is the 'roms' folder in your current working directory.

ZIPs are fine smile.

Re: mess.ini - 08/22/12 04:59 PM

I did that in my mess.ini file...

Here's what I have (partial):

rompath /home/doctorvell/mess/roms/
hashpath /home/doctorvell/mess/hash/
samplepath /home/doctorvell/mess/samples/
artpath /home/doctorvell/mess/artwork/
ctrlrpath /home/doctorvell/mess/ctrl/
inipath /home/doctorvell/mess/
fontpath ./home/doctorvell/mess/
cheatpath /home/doctorvell/mess/
crosshairpath /home/doctorvell/mess/

I put my zipped system roms into the /home/doctorvell/mess/roms/ folder and it says it can not find them. Does this mean they could be corrupted or I am doing it wrong.

BTW, I set MESS to run through gnome via a shortcut, I have other programs that run through terminal set up that way and they work perfectly fine.
Posted By: Alegend45

Re: mess.ini - 08/22/12 05:01 PM

Yeah, that might be your problem. MESS is MUCH better suited to using the command-line.

Re: mess.ini - 08/22/12 05:10 PM

Hmm...weird it loads up now...do I need to put my other rom images (games, etc...) in the same folder as the system roms?
Posted By: Alegend45

Re: mess.ini - 08/22/12 05:14 PM

No, you do not need to do that.

Re: mess.ini - 08/22/12 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By qmc2
Either use the command line argument '-rompath <path_to_your_roms>' (or '-rp <path_to_your_roms>') to specify the path to your ROM files, or specify that same info in mess.ini (as 'rompath <path_to_your_roms>').

The default rom-path is './roms' (or just 'roms'), that is the 'roms' folder in your current working directory.

ZIPs are fine smile.

Okay here's what I did...I did what someone else suggested actually running it through the terminal.

WOW it works, but now when I try to load it up, it has where I can select my ROM for system. I type in, let's say Odyssey 2. I type it in, it highlights that and it says it works OK on the bottom of the screen. I press ENTER and it says I am missing a ROM or CHD file to run properly. How do I select the game ROM I want to run after this. I am VERY confused, sorry.
Posted By: ASH

Re: mess.ini - 08/22/12 05:45 PM

if it says you are missing a ROM to RUN then the bios rom is wrong

you need two types of roms

1. the bios rom (this runs the machine)
2. some software/game roms

if you have a zip file called odyssey2 mess will see it but if the files inside the zip are wrong it wont run

the contents of the zip should look like this

once the emulated machine is running you need to load a cart this is done by pressing 'Scroll Lock' then TAB then select
'File Manager' and find your cart roms.

Re: mess.ini - 08/22/12 10:10 PM

ASH> do you know where I can get those just incase mine does NOT have those? I can't unzip my .zip for some reason on my system (I am running Ubuntu 12.04).
Posted By: qmc2

Re: mess.ini - 08/23/12 06:25 AM

Ehm... asking for actual ROMs here isn't a wise idea... or better: completely forbidden smile!
Posted By: Robbbert

Re: mess.ini - 08/23/12 07:04 AM

If you can't open your zip then maybe it's corrupt. You'll have to find another. But, you can't ask here for copyright material.
© 2020 Forums