Home Page

Clickable Artwork question

Posted By: Robbbert

Clickable Artwork question - 12/01/09 01:07 PM

I notice if I run any of the handheld chess computers, the clickable buttons don't line up. For example the mm4, mm5, etc emulation, if I click on A i get B. I have to move the mouse further to the left, off the edge of the bezel to get A to work.

Now obviously this must have worked for whoever designed the artwork, and therefore different computers can somehow produce different screen coordinates.

My question is, do the buttons line up for you? Perhaps we can isolate the difference to an OS, or hardware.

The glasgow artwork I did recently lines up with my computer, which makes it different to the other clickable artwork.

Please tell me which artworks work for you... Thanks,,
Posted By: judge

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/01/09 02:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken the location of the clickable parts are actually defined in the .lay file with the zipped artwork. Updating those locations oughta fix those problems.

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/01/09 08:51 PM

You are correct, but if I just changed it, perhaps it might make it wrong for other people. That is why I'm asking for people to test it for me. It could be that my pc is different in some way, or not. I have no way of knowing unless other people can confirm what works for them.

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/01/09 08:54 PM

Plain svn works normally for me on sdlmess (osx), windowed mode debug build.
Posted By: fzuern

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/01/09 09:51 PM

SVN r6488 mm4 and mm5 the buttons are all off a little to the left. I am running MESS on windows vista. Hope this helps. Also glasgow clones and rebel5 are the same way for me.

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/02/09 09:56 AM

That helps lots smile

In fact everyone one of them should be wrong except for the glasgow.

I will leave this for another day or so for more comments, then I should fix them.

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/04/09 09:00 AM

Well... started fixing them, then discovered the points change depending on if you use fullscreen or window mode.

This makes the system unusable unless we advise people to use one particular mode.

I can only assume that both modes work on Unix systems.

Anyway, vote now, or I'll assume that Window mode is the way to go.

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/04/09 09:40 AM

do you get different behavior between window and fullscreen mode under windows?

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/04/09 09:51 AM

yes, it's very different.

Anyway I've committed based on using a windowed view.
It's now obvious to me that is how our lay files were originally designed.

edit: Just learned that there is no mouse pointer on SDLMESS in fullscreen...
Posted By: R. Belmont

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/04/09 01:34 PM

Err, the layouts should be resolution and mode independent. Either you're doing something wrong or you need to file a core bug with Aaron.

Also, there's not supposed to be a system mouse pointer in fullscreen on any OS, which is why MAME supplies those targeting cursors for lightgun games.

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/06/09 10:09 AM

Only numbers can be specified. If you set for one mode, its out on the other mode. But, since the pointer is only supposed to show in Window mode, who cares what happens in fullscreen?

The only reason it shows in fullscreen for me is because I use the newui, and you need the pointer to operate the dropdown menus.

I completely overlooked that when I started this topic. In other words the artwork was correct the whole time.

If we were only supposed to be using crosshairs, why would clickable artwork exist?
Posted By: Lord Nightmare

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 12/06/09 10:35 AM

You use the crosshairs to click on the artwork. Isn't one of the crosshair shapes roughly mouse-cursor shaped?

LN
Posted By: fhub

Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/18/10 02:57 PM

Hi,

a few days ago I've downloaded a snapshot of the current Mess-SVN, and I found that the structure of some artwork files have changed.

So I would like to know, if/where I could download these updated artwork file(s)?
Posted By: Anna Wu

Re: Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/18/10 03:26 PM

I guess, you use a bobz daily build and you ask for the Mephisto artworks.
I can upload the new artworks, execept the artwork for the vancouver driver which is now removed.

Re: Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/18/10 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By Anna Wu
I guess, you use a bobz daily build and you ask for the Mephisto artworks.

Yes, both correct! How did you guess this? ;-)
Quote:
I can upload the new artworks, execept the artwork for the vancouver driver which is now removed.

That would be very kind, just tell me WHERE I would get it.

Re: Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/18/10 03:34 PM

Isn't the artwork in SVN?

Re: Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/18/10 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Isn't the artwork in SVN?

It is, but not in bobz buildīs.

Re: Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/18/10 03:42 PM

Here the
artworks.

In the future, you find all actual artworks here: http://mess.redump.net/artwork

Re: Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/18/10 03:48 PM

Here the
artworks.

Great, thank you very much! :-)
Posted By: robcfg

Re: Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/19/10 09:38 AM

By the way, where should I send new or corrected artwork?

Re: Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/19/10 02:34 PM

I think, you can contact Duke to ask to store the new artworks on redump.net.

Re: Where to download up-to-date artwork files? - 10/20/10 11:47 AM

Thank you very much for your answer!

I have corrected the name of the image in my NC100 artwork and I have several more to upload.
Posted By: The Flying Ape

c64n artwork - 03/12/12 12:22 AM

Just for giggles, I wanted to try out the artwork layout feature with this rendered picture of a Commodore 1084 monitor. And with some tweaks to the monitor curves in glsl CRT-geom filter, it looks pretty good together (click for larger picture):

You can download this 1084.zip (artwork and modified effects) here.

Re: c64n artwork - 03/12/12 12:26 AM

Hah, that's pretty cool. I don't think the aspect ratio is quite right though - it looks closer to 1:1 than 4:3.
Posted By: minireaper

Re: c64n artwork - 03/12/12 10:08 AM

/pedantic mode on

the 1084 is an amiga monitor. the 1702 is the proper c64 one smile

/pedantic mode off

otherwise nice screenie xD

Re: c64n artwork - 03/12/12 10:18 AM

I still have the 1084S (Stereo) Model for my A4000 but at moment I use an older NEC Multisync Monitor for the 15kHz/50Hz-Signal.
Posted By: Quantum Leaper

Re: c64n artwork - 03/12/12 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Hah, that's pretty cool. I don't think the aspect ratio is quite right though - it looks closer to 1:1 than 4:3.

I agree, the aspect ratio is closer to 4:3, just like any most old monitors or TVs, I have about 7 of the sitting down the basement, at least all the monitors work, unlike the 64s and 1541s and clones. Just realized I could check the 1701 under my desk, the size 11 x 8.5 inches and 13 inch diagonal. The tube is technical not 4:3 but I think the usable area on the screen is 4:3. I don't have working 64 to test it with upstairs.

Amiga monitors are Evil, they had problems with the Flyback transforms, and you had to re-solder them, unless you had a really good soldering gun, it was very hard to do. Unless you liked the screen flipped upside down. I think that was the flyback, now I not too sure, it been 15 years since I had to do it.
Posted By: remax

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 10/17/12 08:03 PM

I need help building an artwork for gamegear.

I figured a lot of things by myself to write a dirty but efficient layer code, but i'm a bit stuck at the moment :

I have a quite nice gamegear picture. I succeded in making the buttons and the D-Pad clickable (even if i have to improve the diagonals).

Now i'd like to have a change of color of the button or the d-pad when i click it.

For this purpose, i want to superimpose a colored version of the picture of the button when i click it.

I know that "element" allows to define various pictures to various state of the element, but i can't figure how to define these states.

Here's my code. Be indulgent, i don't master a lot of the functions, so i will be able to clean it a lot when i'll master them.

Code:
<!-- gamegear.lay -->

<mamelayout version="2">
	<element name="bezel">
		<image file="gamegear.png" />
	</element>
	<element name="button">
                <!-- invisible element to define button bounds -->
	</element>
	<element name="up" defstate="1">
		<image file="up.png" state="1" />
	</element>
	    <element name="down" defstate="1">
		<image file="down.png" state="1" />
	</element>
	    <element name="left" defstate="1">
		<image file="left.png" state="1" />
	</element>
	<element name="right" defstate="1">
		<image file="right.png" state="1" />
	</element>
    <element name="button1" defstate="2">
		<image file="b1.png" state="1" />
	</element>
	<element name="button2" defstate="2">
		<image file="b2.png" state="1" />
	</element>
	<element name="start" defstate="2">
		<image file="start.png" state="1" />
	</element>

<view name="Bezel Artwork">
		<screen index="0">
			<bounds left="275" top="64" right="526" bottom="252" />
		</screen>
		<bezel element="bezel">
			<bounds left="0" top="0" right="804" bottom="427" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel name="up" element="up">
		    <bounds x="45" y="120" width="98" height="49" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel name="down" element="down">
		    <bounds x="45" y="170" width="98" height="50" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel name="left" element="left">
		    <bounds x="45" y="120" width="49" height="100" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel name="right" element="right">
		    <bounds x="94" y="120" width="49" height="100" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel name="button1" element="button1">
			<bounds x="650" y="175" width="40" height="46" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel name="button2" element="button2">
		    <bounds x="708" y="128" width="44" height="49" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel name="start" element="start">
		    <bounds x="657" y="66" width="38" height="49" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel element="button" inputtag="PORT_DC" inputmask="0x01">
		    <bounds x="76" y="123" width="35" height="46" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel element="button" inputtag="PORT_DC" inputmask="0x02">
		    <bounds x="76" y="169" width="35" height="46" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel element="button" inputtag="PORT_DC" inputmask="0x04">
		    <bounds x="46" y="152" width="46" height="35" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel element="button" inputtag="PORT_DC" inputmask="0x08">
		    <bounds x="93" y="152" width="46" height="35" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel element="button" inputtag="PORT_DC" inputmask="0x10">
		    <bounds x="650" y="175" width="40" height="46" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel element="button" inputtag="PORT_DC" inputmask="0x20">
		    <bounds x="708" y="128" width="44" height="49" />
		</bezel>
		<bezel element="button" inputtag="START" inputmask="0x80">
		    <bounds x="657" y="66" width="38" height="49" />
		</bezel>
	</view>
</mamelayout>

Edit : nevermind, i found the (obvious) error.

Re: Clickable Artwork question - 10/18/12 01:34 PM

Is there a way to make a click somewhere in a box change the picture displayed in another box, somewhere else?

At the moment, i know how to use "state" to change the content of a picture in a box, but the detection box and the picture has to be of the same size and at the same place.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/02/13 02:48 AM

Here's a screenshot of an attempt to make a Commodore 1702 monitor (using SVG editor, exporting PNG) layout for Commodore 64 (VIC-II). wink

You can download the layout for yourself. I will add more detail and correctness in the future.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/02/13 06:38 PM

OK, updated the artwork and layout for both Amiga.zip with 1084 monitor and C64.zip with 1702 monitor... looking much better now.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/02/13 06:44 PM

Nice artworks. smile

Re: c64n artwork - 01/02/13 06:47 PM

I don't think the fonts are quite right, but the overall effect is really nice smile

Re: c64n artwork - 01/02/13 10:35 PM

You're missing the inner black bezel, the thick layer of dust on the outer black bezel, and the power button should stick out a bit more. The whole commodore logo thing sticks out and the power button area and the opposite side is inset a bit.

(warning: 4mb image)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/79094972/2013-01-02%2017.25.39.jpg

I can probably get a better pic if you need it with less fisheyeing going on.

LN

Re: c64n artwork - 01/03/13 02:32 AM

Yes, I got a mint boxed 1702 (dust included), but my SVG graphic skills are a bit wanting.

I tinkered with the bezel (dark browns, no black), power button inset shading, and added the A/V ports. Screenshot and artwork updated. smile
Posted By: Just Desserts

Re: c64n artwork - 01/03/13 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By The Flying Ape
Yes, I got a mint boxed 1702 (dust included), but my SVG graphic skills are a bit wanting.

I tinkered with the bezel (dark browns, no black), power button inset shading, and added the A/V ports. Screenshot and artwork updated. smile

Your A/V plugs look like 1/8" headphone sockets, not RCA sockets. On an RCA socket, the colored ring is enclosed by a metal outer shield, and there's a few millimeters of clearance around the socket itself so that the "fins" of the male RCA plug have somewhere to go when the plug is fully in the socket. Additionally, the power button isn't inset on the real thing, it now looks less accurate. On the real thing, the power button juts out from the monitor by about 1cm when it's off, and continues to stick out 1-2mm when it's on.

Sorry, I don't mean to nit-pick, but I grew up on the C64. smile
Posted By: Waremonger

Re: c64n artwork - 01/03/13 10:04 PM

Since my 1702 was easily accessible you inspired me to pull out my C64 monitor and grab some pictures. Unfortunately this was the best I could do today due to the bad lighting. Ideally I could have taken it outside or somewhere with a lot of light to get rid of the shadows as the two lamps I was using just weren't cutting it. Anyway, here's a reduced version - the original is 18 megapixels (jpg & raw).

Re: c64n artwork - 01/03/13 11:01 PM

No worries, feedback is always good! So I took your nice minty hires picture and popped it in place.

P.S., note that this is not entirely accurate either, as the Power Button is not depressed and the POWER LED is not lit. grin
Posted By: Just Desserts

Re: c64n artwork - 01/03/13 11:38 PM

So I took your nice minty hires picture and popped it in place.

Daddy like.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/04/13 12:23 AM

Whoa, that looks great FA. Thanks for pointing out the power button and LED - I didn't even think of that since I just did it on a whim. I think I'll take my 1702 and 1080 monitors outside tomorrow and try to get much better pictures so there are no shadows or glare on the plastic.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/04/13 09:46 PM

Well, here is my attempt at getting decent pictures of the Commodore 1702 and 1080 monitors. I think the 1702 came out pretty good and I picked the best of the 50 or so shots that I took. The Amiga one didn't come out as well because I was a bit rushed for time after spending a lot of time on the 1702. Also the 1080 pic is a little noisy because I had the ISO set too high and didn't realize it due to being in a little bit of a hurry. I'm thinking I'll revisit the 1080 again another time. I had to cheat a bit on the 1080 power light because the light is a bit dim compared to the 1702 and didn't show up on the photographs that were well lit so I had taken a bunch of pics in low light at different shutter speeds to get different intensities and then I super-imposed the best one on the lit picture of the monitor.

Anyway, here is a link to both full-size PNG's that were converted from the RAW files: http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/jTxtlrHdrhzMv9MrXFcUXA

The files are somewhat large since the original uncropped pictures were 18 megapixels. The 1702 weighs in at 11.5 MB and the 1080 is 16 MB. If no one is interested in turning these into MESS bezels (Flying Ape??) then I'll eventually get around to it. I'm thinking the final bezel should be kept at its full size and not compressed into jpg.

Here are previews:

Re: c64n artwork - 01/04/13 09:52 PM

P.S., note that this is not entirely accurate either, as the Power Button is not depressed and the POWER LED is not lit. grin

The power button actually IS depressed in that picture (the led is because the monitor was probably not plugged in). The power button sticks out always, just sticks out less when pushed/turned on.

Edit: Waremonger, your second picture taken outside *RULES*. I could not take a picture like that if I tried.

LN

a1000n artwork - 01/04/13 10:54 PM

Worthy of a new post, Waremonger provided an excellent hires photo of a Commodore Amiga 1080 monitor. Here's a screenshot of it running a1000n:

Originally Posted By Waremonger
Anyway, here is a link to both full-size PNG's that were converted from the RAW files: http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/jTxtlrHdrhzMv9MrXFcUXA

Re: c64n artwork - 01/04/13 11:06 PM

Thanks Waremonger, these pictures are awesome. Here's your new 1702 monitor pic running c64:

Posted By: ASH

Re: a1000n artwork - 01/04/13 11:32 PM

Thank You, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. smile

any more....

Amstrad cpc ???

Re: c64n artwork - 01/05/13 02:03 AM

Thanks for building the lay and cropping the pic Flying Ape! I think the element type may need to be a bezel instead of a backdrop though as the emulated window currently bleeds through the monitor picture:

backdrop element:

bezel element:

Boy, scaling these images down really screws up the scanline effect haha.

Re: a1000n artwork - 01/05/13 02:08 AM

Thanks for building the lay file Flying Ape. I definitely need to take another crack at this one and take my time with it like I did the 1702. There's currently too much glare on the plastic for my liking :-). I was losing light on this one and pulled out the lamps thinking they would just add some filler light but they're too overpowering. I wish I had a studio with some (expensive) diffused lights!
Posted By: etabeta78

Re: c64n artwork - 01/05/13 08:14 AM

I love these! thanks!

Re: c64n artwork - 01/05/13 08:48 AM

Is the new image file size not too big?

Re: c64n artwork - 01/05/13 12:11 PM

I think the element type may need to be a bezel instead of a backdrop though as the emulated window currently bleeds through the monitor picture

That looks the best, I was not aware of the layout allowing for bezel elements. I will look over at mamedev for some src/layout examples of that, or could you post your layout as text here too? I just carved out the sides and tube, keeping it close to the edges as possible, and used glsl shader CRT positioned with the (correct?) 4:3 aspect inside it. Yes, that monitor eats a lot of screen real estate. Can you imagine an SX-64 screen here? laugh
Is the new image file size not too big?

Indeed, but that can always be scaled back for packaging and normal use. When is this going to support 3D images so we can see the depth of that Power Switch when toggled, my lord? wink

Re: c64n artwork - 01/05/13 12:48 PM

... look over at mamedev for some src/layout examples

Never mind, that was pretty simple. DOH!! I updated my zips, thanks for pointing that out.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/06/13 04:18 AM

Is there a maintainer for the MESS artwork? Does Mr. Do handle the MESS stuff too?
Posted By: Dullaron

Re: c64n artwork - 01/06/13 03:15 PM

Well Mr Do did talk about do a few MESS artworks while back. http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

He haven't found his Game Gear, GBA and DS yet. I found mine DS and GBA. But I don't have the good scanner hook up yet.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/06/13 04:10 PM

I don't have a super-quality setup, but I managed to finagle this image out for C128 using a 1902 monitor in 80-column mode:

Re: c64n artwork - 01/06/13 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By Dullaron
Well Mr Do did talk about do a few MESS artworks while back. http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

He haven't found his Game Gear, GBA and DS yet. I found mine DS and GBA. But I don't have the good scanner hook up yet.

GBA and some other artworks added
Posted By: Shideravan

Artwork Project - 01/07/13 12:45 AM

I made some artworks some time ago and want to give them for artwork project...
How can I do that?

Re: Artwork Project - 01/07/13 02:03 AM

Give us a link; AntoPisa and I can host them.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/07/13 08:10 AM

I've noticed that the artwork for the Gameboy Color, GBA, Game Gear and a few others are very low quality. I have a bunch of those systems in my closet in very good condition that I can take pictures of (or scan) and upload those as well. It would have to wait until next weekend though.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/07/13 08:56 AM

Iīll add (mess.org) only artworks with tested and working layouts.
Pictures only are not enough.

PS: The artwork collection on mess.org is still being processed and not complete.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/07/13 08:59 AM

Is there a maintainer for the MESS artwork? Does Mr. Do handle the MESS stuff too?

There's no messdev maintainer, however you or anyone can create it (preferably with mouse-click support) and send it to myself and AntoPisa.

http://messui.the-chronicles.org/artwork/index.html

http://www.progettosnaps.net/mess/

Re: c64n artwork - 01/07/13 02:11 PM

If someone want it, I might upload my Gamegear artwork, it's a bit better than the artwork that is linked above. It's clickable but far from perfect, as i intended to make an artwork that would work with a touchscreen : i gave up as i didn't found any way to make an hit box that would be polygonal and not rectangular.

I didn't found no way to have diagonals too (superimposable hitbox would be the way to go perhaps, but it don't work).

Re: c64n artwork - 01/07/13 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By remax
If someone want it, I might upload my Gamegear artwork, it's a bit better than the artwork that is linked above. It's clickable but far from perfect, as i intended to make an artwork that would work with a touchscreen : i gave up as i didn't found any way to make an hit box that would be polygonal and not rectangular.

I didn't found no way to have diagonals too (superimposable hitbox would be the way to go perhaps, but it don't work).

Thanks for your offer. If your artwork is better and clickable, I can replace the old one.
Just upload it or send a PM.

Re: c64n artwork - 01/07/13 03:36 PM

Here it is : http://www.sendspace.com/file/uv2foj

Re: c64n artwork - 01/07/13 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By remax

Thank you, artwork replaced. smile
Posted By: B2K24

Re: c64n artwork - 01/07/13 05:46 PM

Thanks for the artwork laugh
Posted By: AntoPISA

Re: c64n artwork - 01/07/13 08:17 PM

Download the artworks a100n, c64, c128 and gamegear and I'll add to 0.148 update.

Thank you, great job! wink

Re: Artwork Project - 01/07/13 08:52 PM

I'm going to release an update to the next stable version of the MESS, also expect to see your work.

Re: Artwork Project - 01/14/13 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By AntoPISA
I'm going to release an update to the next stable version of the MESS, also expect to see your work.

It's here.
I made this work a looong time ago, and I think that I have even more (but I have to search).
Use as you want wink

Re: Artwork Project - 01/20/13 06:53 AM

Bigger GB Color, GBA and GBA SP scans over here at http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/pos...amp;sb=5&o=

Might want to check these out.

Re: Artwork Project - 01/20/13 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By Shideravan
Originally Posted By AntoPISA

It's here.
I made this work a looong time ago, and I think that I have even more (but I have to search).
Use as you want wink

The link with my artworks don't appered :p
Well, it's here: http://migre.me/cTvJg
smile
Posted By: Richard Bannister

The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/17/13 07:12 PM

Please put all artwork related topics here.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/17/13 07:15 PM

Hahahaha. Stiletto got mad when I told him no, didn't he? smile
Posted By: Haze

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/17/13 07:37 PM

speaking of Artwork

if Pico is to be done properly then it should really be represented with a picture of the unit and track pad to the side of the screen.

right now it gives the impression you actually point at the screen / it uses a touch screen, which is wrong because

a) you don't / it isn't
http://www.rolentapress.com/rolenta/collection/sega/pico.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIE1mUY77nw (note, at no point is the SCREEN pointed to)

b) half of what you can press doesn't get mapped anywhere because the actual trackable area covers a far bigger area than the bit of the trackpad that ends up relating to the screen (you can press things in the actual booklet area)

can the artwork system actually provide a trackable position thing like this? it's a bit different to clickable artwork and obviously different to the built in MAME crosshair thing it's currently set to use (because that can't track outside the screen, and really we don't want *screen* tracking at all)

also, I still think it should be marked as not working.

Posted By: Stiletto

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/19/13 10:11 PM

Oh hey look it's a place to talk about artwork. Let's move the discussion here laugh

For people good with LAY files, here's a few old scans and things that aren't doing much good where they are. Courtesy MESSDEV FTP. If there's anything usable, feel free. Contains the original scans of avigo and a few of the HP48* calcs IIRC.
http://www.mediafire.com/?awrgm0f8vqof0cs
Posted By: Al Kossow

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/19/13 10:40 PM

"I'm presuming these scans are superior to the way I was doing mine."

Compare the "TM" to the left of "BALL" on spinball between the one I did and the one in the png that you posted. By doing the front and back you can pick out the opaque areas, which are white or black on the back sides of the overlay. Mirror image the back and you can use it to set the areas that are fully opaque in the alpha channel. Using a matte gray diffuses some of the scratches and better matches the surface of the CRT. It also gets rid of the reflected shadow from the scanner lamp.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 05:49 AM

I've scanned my Gameboy Color and created a MESS bezel and lay file - you can drop it right in the MESS artwork folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/?azo0lc3i8anjk6n

The bezel was scanned at 1200 DPI so the image is pretty large and the archive is 35 megs. I only wanted to do this once and didn't want this to become obsolete in 5-10 years when much higher resolution monitors are available. I thought about scanning at 2400 DPI but thought that would be overkill :-). I have more coming soon: A Gameboy Pocket (black), Gameboy Advance (purple), 2 Gameboy Advance SP's (black and purple), Nintendo DS (gray), and a GameGear. Here's a small taste of the Gameboy Color:

Posted By: Matty

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 06:03 AM

We need a yellow Pikachu edition gameboy.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 07:08 AM

Nice (art)work, Waremonger. smile
The only disadvantage, it is not clickable.

MESS screenshot

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 07:57 AM

Clickability would be pretty much useless without a multitouch screen.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By Matty

Not at all, see the chess computers.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 08:04 AM

Originally Posted By Matty

Not at all, see the chess computers.

Chess computers are very different to a Gameboy. Chess computer games can be played by actuating a single control at a time. Most Gameboy games require you to use the buttons and D-pad simultaneously, or at least to switch between them very rapidly. This just isn't practical with a mouse. It may be academically interesting to have clickable artwork, but it would be pretty much unusable with a single pointing device. A hypothetical MESS4Droid or something might be able to use it at some point though.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 08:04 AM

Hmmm, maybe I'll add the option for clickable buttons and re-upload it. I don't think it would be useful except for the select and start buttons but it should be relatively easy to add.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 08:08 AM

Hmmm, maybe I'll add the option for clickable buttons and re-upload it. I don't think it would be useful except for the select and start buttons but it should be relatively easy to add.

Yes, it is depending of the function(s). Maybe it make no sense to use the directional pad but for the other buttons it can be useful.
Posted By: ranger_lennier

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 09:12 AM

Speaking of Game Boy variations, does anyone remember the Game Boy Micro? It was a really tiny Game Boy Advance. I was never too interested in it because it had a smaller screen than the SP, which was plenty portable enough for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Micro

I looked up a list of colors, and holy crap, there are even more than I thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Boy_colors_and_styles

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 09:28 AM

GameBoy Micro lost the backwards compatibility with GameBoy colour, and the link port. That made it far less interesting. The form factor was cool, though - like a GBA crammed into a NES controller!

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 10:32 AM

A fast and dirty draft of the artwork (lay).

MESS screenshot

DL
Posted By: Vas Crabb

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 10:44 AM

GameBoy Micro had user-replaceable faces like Nokia phones, so there were plenty of 3rd-party colours, too.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 01:26 PM

The bezel was scanned at 1200 DPI so the image is pretty large and the archive is 35 megs. I only wanted to do this once and didn't want this to become obsolete in 5-10 years when much higher resolution monitors are available. I thought about scanning at 2400 DPI but thought that would be overkill :-). I have more coming soon: A Gameboy Pocket (black), Gameboy Advance (purple), 2 Gameboy Advance SP's (black and purple), Nintendo DS (gray), and a GameGear. Here's a small taste of the Gameboy Color:

"Doing it once" - the only true solution to that, it seems, is to get the vectorization artists interested. Also, that seems difficult for them to do with photos of 3D objects...

What would be REALLY cool would be if the different color cases could be coded within a LAY file as some sort of palette change, to save space.

That might be artificial-looking and hard to do, however. And surely LAY files lack that functionality...

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 01:30 PM

Yes, it is depending of the function(s). Maybe it make no sense to use the directional pad but for the other buttons it can be useful.

For the D-Pad, the lack of anything other than rectangular/circle tests zone in .lay files make it totally unuseful. More over, you can't even superimpose the zones, so you can't simulate diagonals.
Posted By: ranger_lennier

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By Stiletto

"Doing it once" - the only true solution to that, it seems, is to get the vectorization artists interested. Also, that seems difficult for them to do with photos of 3D objects...

What would be REALLY cool would be if the different color cases could be coded within a LAY file as some sort of palette change, to save space.

That might be artificial-looking and hard to do, however. And surely LAY files lack that functionality...

Yeah, I tend to think of vectorization as something you'd do to 2D artwork, not an actual game system. Perhaps the people who do that could chime in on whether it would be useful, though.

I think it's worth pointing out, however, that there is a limit to the resolution the human eye can actually perceive. Apple claims to have already reached it with their retina displays. So unless we start replacing our eyes with gigapixel cameras, I don't think we'll have to replace scans with higher resolution versions indefinitely. I'm not sure just what resolution would be as good as we'd ever want, though.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/23/13 07:13 PM

Yeah, I think 600 dpi is probably a usable upper limit, although that depends on where PC displays go. We're just now starting to see ones that are greater than 72dpi and pay some kind of attention to color accuracy, for instance.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 10/24/13 06:36 PM

From here: http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=91175#Post91175

Okay, remax's new Game Gear artwork with fixed LAY file has been added to the MESS artwork pages and the DAT files updated, sorry about the delay. If AntoPISA wants to sync up his MESS Artwork page with ours, that would be cool.
http://www.mess.org/artwork

Still needed:
- Screenshots for all artworks missing screenshots
- People to verify all the clickable artworks are functioning properly on multiple OS's.

And I think I still need to add Waremonger's new Gameboy Color, maybe.

Personally I'd prefer someone take over the management of the MESS Artwork page.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/15/15 07:47 AM

The MESS Artwork page has received a major update today!

What's New:
- Added all of the handheld external artwork from Olivier Galibert, kevtris, hap and co. Over 47 new artworks added, REQUIRED for the games to appear properly!
- Added over twenty-five new Artwork Preview snaps (from AntoPISA: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mess/)
- Added: Comboman's Speak & Spell, Speak & Math, and TRS-80 artwork (never posted on the forums!)
- Added: Dullaron's NeoGeo Pocket and NeoGeo Pocket Color artwork (previously posted on the MAME Artwork forum)
- Added: Nightvision's Atari 2600 artwork (previously posted on the MAME Artwork forum)
- Added: Waremonger's Game Boy Color artwork (previously posted on the MAME Artwork forum)
- Updated DAT and (MAMEUI) INI files.

Thanks to: Olivier Galibert, kevtris, hap, AntoPISA, Comboman, Dullaron, Nightvision, Waremonger

With much of the backlog cleared, we'd be happy to take new artworks or remakes of old MESS artworks.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/15/15 07:49 AM

To be done:

Artwork Preview snaps still to do:
a2600_big.png
edracula.png
egalaxn2.png
epacman2.png
estargte.png
eturtles.png
galaxy2.png
gbcolor_big.png
gckong.png
gdigdug.png
ghalien.png
invspace.png
kingman.png
machiman.png
mbdtower.png
msthawk.png
mvbfree.png
mwcbaseb.png
**mwcfball.png - not yet emulated
ngp_alt.png
ngpc_alt.png
packmon.png
pbqbert.png
snmath.png
snspell.png
splasfgt.png
ssfball.png
tcaveman.png
tccombat.png
tmpacman.png
tmscramb.png
tmtennis.png
tmtron.png
trs80.png
ufombs.png
vinvader.png
zackman.png

Other ideas:
- Any 640x480 Artwork Preview needs a second look to make sure it is the correct resolution / aspect ratio: 4004clk, aim65 (internal artwork was just edited in MAME/MESS today too), ccmk1, ccmk2, junior, kim1, mm4, mm5, amsterd, dallas, dallas16, dallas32, glasgow, monteciv, rebel5, roma32, mpf1, mpf1b, mpf1p, sym1, simon, supercon, tec1, 990189, vectrex

- Others that just look "weird" and need to be investigated: c128, a2600, gamegear, sms. nc100, ti85 (too short!), tg16, c64?

- Inaccurate and need to be replaced: nes, snes

- Comboman sent me Wizatron artwork which I've misplaced and need to get again. I think he had issues with the clickable portions of it though.

- If someone could list the "crap quality"/too low res. ones, that would be appreciated.
Posted By: rfka01

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/15/15 08:08 AM

@stiletto: Can you please have a look if that's usable:

http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95122&page=3

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/16/15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By rfka01
@stiletto: Can you please have a look if that's usable:

http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95122&page=3

Looks fine to me! We'll add it in time for MESS 0.165 smile
Posted By: ICEknight

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/17/15 06:51 PM

This made me wonder... Shouldn't the decorative artwork and the required artwork be their own independent things, for more flexibility?

I mean, some handheld games may also be getting their own decorative borders in the future.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/17/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By ICEknight
This made me wonder... Shouldn't the decorative artwork and the required artwork be their own independent things, for more flexibility?

I mean, some handheld games may also be getting their own decorative borders in the future.

Sure, we'll reorganize the page should that ever happen. smile

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/18/15 08:40 AM

Many of your requests and suggestions will be available with the next update wink

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 08/24/15 05:09 PM

I updated the MESS Artwork page again yesterday, I'm not sure how much time I'll have for it this week of 0.165 so it's online now.

Here's what's new:
- Sortable tables now, sorted by last updated! (thanks to duke) (PS. don't sort by filesize. #wontfix)
- Sorted out the REQUIRED handheld artworks and listed them separately (suggestion by ICEknight).
- Atari 2600 (Big) - a2600_big.zip - replaced with Nightvoice's newer one.
- Nintendo Entertainment System - nes.zip - replaced with Nightvoice's new one. Old nes.zip has been retired.
- Speak & Math - snmath.zip - replaced with hap's 08/23/2015 lay file fix.
- Speak & Spell - snspell.zip - replaced with hap's 08/16/2015 lay file fix.
- Thomson TO9+ - to9p.zip - replaced with removal of unnecessary to770.lay
- NCR Decision Mate V - dmv.zip - added, thanks to rfka01.
- ZX Spectrum 128, Spectrum, ZX-80, ZX81 "keyboard artwork" (not clickable) - spec128.zip, spectrum.zip, zx80.zip, and zx81.zip - added, thanks to Retro27. spectrum.zip notable for including multiple selectable different views.
- Wiz-A-Tron - wizatron.zip added, thanks to Comboman.
- New and/or updated artwork preview images taken by AntoPISA: ccmk2, estargte, invspace, kayproii, machiman, msthawk, mvbfree, mwcbaseb, nc100, snmath, snspell, tmscramb, tmtron, trs80, ufombs, vinvader
- DAT and MAMEUI ini files updated.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/01/16 10:45 PM

Catch up...

08/30/2015:
Updated the MESS Artwork page again.

Here's what's new:
- Uploaded Comboman's Speak & Read artwork.

09/14/2015:
- Uploaded AntoPISA's TurboGrafx 16 artwork.
- Added to page: epacman2, kingman, nes, pbqbert, tmpacman, wizatron, zackman

10/16/2015:
- The page now has all the previews, thanks to AntoPISA.

10/23/2015:
- Added AntoPISA's Nintendo GameBoy Pocket artwork.
- Updated the page, dat and ini files.
- Added PCW8256 (Amstrad) artwork.
- Updated Prodest 128 (Olivetti) artwork.
(Thanks to Retro27 for the contributions.)

11/06/2015:
- Added AntoPISA's Commodore 64 (PAL) (1084 monitor) artwork.
- AntoPISA updated MegaDuck/Cougar Boy artwork.
- Artwork preview snapshots updated.
- Dat and ini files updated to 06/11/2015.

02/13/2016:
- AntoPISA Added Commodore 64 (NTSC) (1702 Monitor and Floppy Drive) artwork, courtesy of Nightvoice.
- AntoPISA updated DAT and INI file(s).

03/24/2016:
- AntoPISA and Stiletto added hap's artwork for bpengo and bbtime and einvader.

03/26/2016:
- gckong.zip, packmon.zip, and msthawk.zip have been replaced by hap at MESS artwork page with "newer, better versions"
- hap suggested we remove mvbfree.zip and efball.zip and their artwork previews because internal artwork is better than external artwork. So Stiletto removed them from the MESS Artwork page. The files are still there, but they're not linked on the page.
- pretty much all clickable chess artwork was broken in some fashion for some reason. We had to update the following: academy.zip, alm16.zip, alm32.zip, amsterd.zip, berlinp.zip, bpl32.zip, dallas16.zip, gen32.zip, gen32_41.zip, gen32_oc.zip, glasgow.zip, lond020.zip, lond030.zip, lyon16.zip, lyon32.zip, milano.zip, mm4.zip, monteciv.zip, polgar.zip, sexpertc.zip, van16.zip, van32.zip - which was a project we'd started in November. Now they should work again, but only for MAME 0.165-0.171. Previous MAME (0.164 and before) requires the previous artworks, which are no longer stored there.
- academy.zip, alm16.zip, alm32.zip, amsterd.zip, berlinp.zip, bpl32.zip, dallas16.zip, gen32.zip, gen32_41.zip, gen32_oc.zip, glasgow.zip, lond020.zip, lond030.zip, lyon16.zip, lyon32.zip, milano.zip, mm4.zip, monteciv.zip, polgar.zip, sexpertc.zip, van16.zip, van32.zip, mm5.zip, dallas,zip, dallas32.zip, rebel5.zip, roma32.zip, supercon.zip have all been removed/rewritten for MAME 0.172 due to MAME license change and the old artwork is not compatible with what is now in MAME 0.172. We moved all of this to a new section on the page, called "Discontinued Decorative Artwork". mm5.zip, dallas,zip, dallas32.zip, rebel5.zip, roma32.zip, supercon.zip should all also work for before MAME 0.165, even though they are in the MAME 0.165-0.171 section.

03/27/2016:
- AntoPISA added bzaxxon artwork, courtesy of hap.
- Stiletto added gjungler, kcontra, ktmnt and ktopgun artworks.

03/26/2016:
- AntoPISA replaced artwork preview images for: einvader.zip, gckong.zip, msthawk.zip and packmon.zip.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/01/16 10:45 PM

07/01/2016:
The MESS Artwork page has received an update today!

NOTE: Practically all of the "required" handheld artwork files are no longer needed in your artwork folder as of MAME 0.173 and above, because they are now bundled with the ROMs! But in case you haven't updated your ROMs yet or if you're still trying to maintain a slightly older version of MAME, they're still online - for now. If you still need these, look in the "Discontinued Required Artwork" section.

What's New:
- Replaced/added the following handheld game artworks with the help of hap, Rik, OG, kevtris, etc.: Donkey Kong (Coleco), Galaxy II (VFD Rev. B) (Epoch), Galaxy II (VFD Rev. D) (Epoch), Gradius (handheld) (Konami), Lone Ranger (handheld) (Konami), Pac Man 2 (Entex, cyan Pacman), Pac Man 2 (Entex, red Pacman), Ultraman Monster Battle (Bandai)
- Added Bad A Billy & Nightvoice's Dungeons & Dragons - Computer Labyrinth Game (Mattel) artwork
- Added Jonah1976's Lynx (Atari) artwork.
- Added Nightvoice's Tron (Tomy) alternate artwork.
- Updated DAT and (MAMEUI) INI files.

To Be Done:
- Replace and add the new Artwork Preview snaps.

With the return of Mr. Do, it's possible this may be one of the last times that myself or AntoPISA updates this page.

Yes, I'm well aware there's no longer such thing as MESS. Another reason why we're happy Mr. Do has returned.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/02/16 09:12 AM

can I ask why the snes artwork is for a generic handheld , same with the master system II and genesis (nomad).

I understand that you can get handheld emulators but shouldn't these handheld artworks be classed as clones and named as such , there is a huge difference between the genesis and the Sega nomad

http://www.mess.org/_detail/artwork/genesis.png?id=artwork

http://www.mess.org/_detail/artwork/snes.png?id=artwork

http://www.mess.org/_detail/artwork/sms.png?id=artwork

shouldn't we have artwork that is like the NES artwork for these systems... (shows the actual original console and/or a CRT TV)?

http://www.mess.org/_detail/artwork/nes.png?id=artwork

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/02/16 10:04 AM

Because we're awaiting your submission, of course :P

PS: that NES artwork is completely awful and extremely low res.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/02/16 11:10 AM

for the Master system II (sms) (artwork 7zip file)

very quick and dirty but looks better than the hand held (I just pinched the tv pic off the nes folder)

If that is ok,ish I will produce better ones?

https://sites.google.com/site/steashii/Home/sms.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Before

After

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/02/16 02:59 PM

Yes, we're waiting for your submission laugh

My preference is to see artwork for SNES, SMS, Genesis, and NES that properly depict a console and era-appropriate television set simultaneously (for now at least) smile

I am not sure why the original MESS artwork creators made these shitty, objectively awful (for once I'll use this phrase! LOL) handheld artworks for them. My suspicion is two-fold: 1. they were in love with the concept of "clickable" buttons on handheld devices and 2. their use case may also have been handheld/touchscreen, such as an early Windows tablet or something. I'd have to go diving in the MESS mailing list archives to find out for sure, I guess.

Arbee: the NES artwork may be low-res as you say (though technically the actual resolution of the PNGs of which it's comprised is something like 3999x5532 added together... regardless it's still an artist's recreation of a TV set and not an actual TV set) but it's a somewhat better depiction than the crap NES clone handheld thing that it used to have similar to what SNES, SMS and Genesis have now. smile

Also, as I made it clear going into managing this page a year or two ago: my aesthetic choices are often questionable, ergo I'd much rather have an artwork-oriented person like Mr. Do in charge of curating the collection smile
Posted By: LoganB

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/04/16 09:17 AM

Can I just put my 2c in and say that I'd like to see the TG-16 also have a similar TV artwork applied and have the current lo-res portable console art as an option? The same goes for the Genesis as it was a semi-compatible console that used Genesis carts.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/05/16 07:09 PM

hows this for the genesis.
genesis artwork zip file: https://sites.google.com/site/steashii/Home/genesis.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

before:

After:
Posted By: hap

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/05/16 08:00 PM

I can understand bezel artwork for handhelds like Gameboy or Atari Lynx since everyone has the same, but a random television as bezel for any console is unnecessary.

They're a big improvement over the previous work though. IMO bad quality stuff like the old sms.zip should be removed.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/05/16 08:07 PM

Some people like that sort of thing smile And yeah, this is a gigantic improvement.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/06/16 06:22 AM

Yep, removal would be my choice (I delete them when I update my extra's) but I was asked for submissions....so, I think these look better for TV consoles than obscure handheld pics.

I would of liked to add a picture of the console at the bottom of the screen but that just looks naff when I do it. blush

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/06/16 06:24 AM

There shouldn't be a black border around the game screen though. Not in the Mega Drive's case, at least.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/06/16 06:41 AM

My brother law have that TV. Black boarder need to be thinner. Cut it down by half. smile

I wasn't enable to find that Sanyo TV on Google. I found some other Sanyo TV's that have that black thick boarder. Some have thinner boarder too. Depend what TV have it or not.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/06/16 06:45 PM

so here's three TV's with different borders around the screen.
up to mess team if they use them?

Big Black border

small black border

and NO border

the three zip files can be found here

https://sites.google.com/site/steashii/Home/Three%20Genesis%20TVs.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

smile

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/06/16 07:03 PM

2nd is much better. smile

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/06/16 09:32 PM

I agree, the 2nd one looks quite right.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/07/16 11:25 AM

I think every single TV I've used actual Mega Drives on featured at least partial colored borders around the game screen.

Maybe you should check the real hardware before submitting a final version?
Posted By: Edstrom

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/07/16 01:04 PM

All analog CRT based consoles had to add an overscan zone around the graphics to be sure all TV:s actually showed all pixels. This is not the case with later HDMI based TV sets however.

EDIT: The black border will vary from CRT TV to CRT TV also depending on user settings on the TV as well as on some consoles. Just pick a nice looking black border will do. smile

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/07/16 07:07 PM

Here is a snes bezel.

Before

After

p.s. that is a mock up as the snes snapshot is widescreen and looks wider than it should???

anyway zip file is here if anyone wants it.

https://sites.google.com/site/steashii/Home/snes.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

smile

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/07/16 08:20 PM

The "before" is awful, they stretched it out to widescreen and it shouldn't be.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/07/16 09:13 PM

Also for a Trinitron screen you need the proper Trinitron aperture, which looks like vertical RGBRGBRGBRGB scanlines, sort of. HLSL or aperture.png can simuilate that, I think.

LN

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/07/16 09:45 PM

Can't speak for everyone but I'm not likely to add artwork to the MESS artwork page that doesn't also include a photo of the console. If you prefer the monitor-only view, I suggest adding it as an alternate artwork "view" (see some of the fancier MAME artworks for more details on this)
Posted By: Al Kossow

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/07/16 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By Lord Nightmare
Also for a Trinitron screen you need the proper Trinitron aperture, which looks like vertical RGBRGBRGBRGB scanlines, sort of.

and the horizonal aperture grill wire(s)

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/07/16 11:35 PM

Yeah, I forgot all about the grill wires. I wondered for the longest time if those two horizontal thin lines on my monitor were burn-in or a defect before figuring out what they were. I think but am not sure that the number of support wires differs by tube size.

LN

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/08/16 12:41 AM

The 17" Trinitrons we had at work in the mid-90s had 2 wires.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/08/16 05:23 AM

Can't speak for everyone but I'm not likely to add artwork to the MESS artwork page that doesn't also include a photo of the console. If you prefer the monitor-only view, I suggest adding it as an alternate artwork "view" (see some of the fancier MAME artworks for more details on this)

I'll see what I can do, but the reason I submitted these is to replace the god awful ones that are being used already.
Posted By: Breiztiger

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/08/16 06:05 AM

as i remember,

the 15" sony trinitron like CPD-100ES as only one wire 6cm from the bottom, and all other like 17" and above like CPD-200ES two wires 6cm from the bottom and the top

it's call Damper wire

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/08/16 07:56 AM

Originally Posted By ICEknight
I think every single TV I've used actual Mega Drives on featured at least partial colored borders around the game screen.

Maybe you should check the real hardware before submitting a final version?
Originally Posted By Edstrom
All analog CRT based consoles had to add an overscan zone around the graphics to be sure all TV:s actually showed all pixels. This is not the case with later HDMI based TV sets however.
That doesn't invalidate what I said. Part of the colored borders were visible in the real thing and they're not in the posted example.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/08/16 06:01 PM

ok....how about that?

lay file and bezel here , (zipped)
https://sites.google.com/site/steashii/Home/genesis.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/08/16 08:16 PM

I find it really nice !

Congratulations

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/08/16 08:27 PM

I like that. smile

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/09/16 08:37 AM

the SNES (not using the Sony trinitron it looked a bit off???) and that snes says (famicon blush ) lets call that an easter egg

Before

After

again lay file and picture here (zipped)

https://sites.google.com/site/steashii/Home/snes.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 07/15/16 04:05 PM

07/01/2016:
The MESS Artwork page has received an update today!
To Be Done:
- Replace and add the new Artwork Preview snaps.

This has now been done.

We'll take a look at adding ASH's new submissions for the MAME 0.176 release.

Re: The Canonical Artwork Thread - 10/21/16 09:03 PM

10/08/2016:
AntoPisa added 2 packages to page:

New artworks (Bezel):
- BBC Micro Model B
- BBC Master 128

10/21/2016:
AntoPisa added 8 packages to page; also updated dat and ini files.

New artworks (Bezel):
- Coleco Alien Attack
- Tomy Alien Chase
- Apple Computer Apple //e
- Apple Computer Macintosh Plus
- Sharp Wizard OZ-750
- Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus
- Texas Instruments TI-89
- Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium

PS. ASH's artworks have not yet been added.
© 2020 Forums