Home Page
Here's a few screens to get started. Many more are possible now.

Nice work! smile
Is that a tracker?
Originally Posted By EoceneMiacid
Is that a tracker?

Do you know of this thing called "Google"? It's pretty new but it's actually very handy for these kinds of inquiries...

If you type "Coconizer" in this "Google"-thing, you get sent to this page.

Yes, it *is* a tracker for the Archimedes.
That and I'm not sure how much more it could scream "it's a tracker". I mean, there's tracks, and notes, and instruments, and a converted famous Amiga MOD by D.O.C. playing smile
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
That and I'm not sure how much more it could scream "it's a tracker". I mean, there's tracks, and notes, and instruments, and a converted famous Amiga MOD by D.O.C. playing smile

D.O.C., or The DOC? smile
The text in the MOD says "d.o.c", as you can see in the screenshot smile
A great achievement for MAME!
yeah, looking forward to giving this one a spin
It's not quite at "great achievement" level yet, but stay tuned smile
The Spectrum emulator for the Archimedes works...

And something familiar works too, but with a LOT more load time and a 3D rotating Greek letter sigma.
I like this game.
Zarch (1987)(Superior)
aa310 driver

At some point I'd like to move onto Archimedes expansion devices. I've been gathering ROMs for internal podule boards, mainly IDE, SCSI, Ethernet, and digitiser boards, but the current state of the driver doesn't easily accommodate adding IO devices, all IO is hard coded. There was fairly recent improvement that devicified the VIDC but really need the MEMC and especially IOC to be devicified, anyone interested?

With IOC I could easily start adding the IDE/SCSI boards that came pre-installed in the later machines.
I would definitely volunteer to do it, but I don't want Kale to throw a tantrum and quit da sk3n3.
I can't imagine Kale would object to making the Archimedes more useful.
The IOC should be fairly easy to add from the current code, but not sure how the devices it controls should be implemented, maybe the IOC device should have it's own address_map?

The MEMC is maybe a little more complicated, especially as there's currently a separate version for aristmk5. Would a MEMC device be limited to 4MB RAM, and add multiple MEMC devices to a machine that support more RAM, or let a single MEMC device handle whatever amount of RAM is specified?
Anything to do with MK5-specific stuff (notably the "DRAM Emulator" in machine/archimds.cpp) should probably be moved to the aristmk5 driver (if possible) rather than in the AA-specific section. Going by the source comments the DRAM Emulator uses the U36 GAL from the (NSW aka "World" version) MK5 board. USA platform doesn't use it, instead it has an additional 25 MHz XTAL just to be different. Would be nice if someone could fix the interlace(?) bug to make the MK5 games run at the right speed instead of skipping every second frame. smile
For the later machines that came with a pre-installed IDE drive I'd like to add a default IDE drive image to the driver.

I've created a chd with a realistic geometry for a 60MB Connor CP2064, and installed the RISC OS Apps which would typically be pre-installed.
Code
chdman createhd -o riscos311_apps.chd -chs 823,4,38
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
When I look at chdman info I see it's not compressed:
Code
chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.217 (mame0217)
Input file:   riscos311_apps.chd
File Version: 5
Logical size: 64,049,152 bytes
Hunk Size:    4,096 bytes
Total Hunks:  15,637
Unit Size:    512 bytes
Total Units:  125,096
Compression:  none
CHD size:     62,721 bytes
Metadata:     Tag='GDDD'  Index=0  Length=33 bytes
              CYLS:823,HEADS:4,SECS:38,BPS:512.
Can I add this to the driver as it is, or should I do something else to it to add compression?
you'll need to recompress it properly with CHDMAN as SHA1 info isn't stored for uncompressed drives.
Yeah, for software list CHDs we do ship them compressed and lean on diffs if they're written to (and we should probably recommend in the documentation that people wanting to make serious use of them uncompress them and use them non-software-listed).
Originally Posted by Haze
you'll need to recompress it properly with CHDMAN as SHA1 info isn't stored for uncompressed drives.
So how do I do that?
it's been a while, but I think you can just use chdman copy -i blah.chd -o blahcompressed.chd

you might have to specify a compression type with -c so -c zlib ?
Originally Posted by Haze
it's been a while, but I think you can just use chdman copy -i blah.chd -o blahcompressed.chd
Thanks, nice and simple.
Oh yes. At its time, the Archie was the only homecomputer that Amiga users did not mock about. (Atari ST was considered a bad joke and 386ers ridiculously overpriced and jerky). Archie had to do many things in software where Amiga had dedicated hardware, so at least for 2D games in real life both performed similar. Unfortunately it did not sell well outside Britain; In Germany I only remember 2 shops (the Brinkmann technology shopping center and a small store for electronic components) that had an Archimedes (A3000?) to try out, so most of us saw it only reviewed in computer magazines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes

Exciting is that ARM CPUs (now found in every tablet and brainfryer) directly originated from Acorn Archimedes, and 1990th models were already SoC based, i.e. Raspberry Pi can be rated a direct Archie successor, and the RISC OS for it is still maintained. I read about it and like the philosophy (still very homecomputer, i.e. can run completely from RAM/ROM without swapping to disk, built-in BASIC, high CPU efficiency, no multiuser complications etc.) which sounds great for data minimisation to avoid data vampires and factory-prebugged devices. To me this feels right! - like the true native OS for RasPi. The mouse use paradigms differ from Windoze-like OS, but that's because it is older than Win95, and likely not designed for proper webbrowsing. But for a small separate offline machine it makes sense. May be its time to get a RasPi with enough RAM in a shielded case to flip the bird to all those data ticks sucking in the background of nowadays always-online IT.
© Forums