Home Page

Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games?

Posted By: ShadowMan44

Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 01:50 AM

Good evening, it's me again. I've been having issues with the Super Cassette Vision games on here.

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=82767&page=1

I already thoroughly read through this thread from years ago and there are still a few things that aren't explained like this;

Originally Posted by Haze
Yeah the Key with Pole Position 2 is probably

Code
<!-- 4KB RAM on cartridge -->
<dataarea name="ram" size="4096" />

without that information from the softlist it won't be allocating / mapping the extra RAM, and no doubt the game needs it.

What is this code?

How do I implement it in the SCV.XML file?

Do I do it like this?
[Linked Image]

I'm genuinely confused about this, I have almost no experience with coding for MAME.
Posted By: Darkstar

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 08:36 AM

It literally shows you the two existing dataareas in the XML tree, yet you added yours somewhere at the end where it does not belong...

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 08:51 AM

[Linked Image]

I apologize again because I'm new to this. I tried saving it like this and I still can't get the game to play past the course select screen.
Posted By: judge

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 09:28 AM

The second dataarea in the current scv.xml is already defining the extra 4KB ram.

<part name="cart" interface="scv_cart">
<feature name="slot" value="rom128k_ram" />
<dataarea name="rom" size="131072">
<rom name="polepos2.bin" size="131072" crc="cb69903d" sha1="472900d7b7fa6cdf30014731dcc925ef5ca65499" offset="0" />
</dataarea>
<!-- 4KB RAM on cartridge -->
<dataarea name="ram" size="4096" />
</part>

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 09:30 AM

So there's no need to add it then?"

How do I fix the rom then? Is it just not possible?
Posted By: R. Belmont

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 11:50 AM

Define "fix the rom". polepos2 runs 100% fine in the SCV driver. Are you making a new dump or something?
Posted By: Haze

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 11:56 AM

my guess is they're trying to run without even using the Software List support, expecting it to auto-identify from a loose file.. because a lot of places still seem to say that the 'loose ROM' method is the correct way to use MAME, when it isn't
Posted By: Tafoid

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowMan44
I apologize again because I'm new to this. I tried saving it like this and I still can't get the game to play past the course select screen.

You need to select your course with the 1 through 4 numpad keys.. then hit "numpad + key" (EN in mapping menu).. then hit CTRL or ALT (which are the default 1+2 fire button mapping) and the game will start.
Those two fire buttons control acceleration + brake - using controls left/right turn, up/down choose gear. That's about it.

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by R. Belmont
Define "fix the rom". polepos2 runs 100% fine in the SCV driver. Are you making a new dump or something?

[Linked Image]

This is what happens every single time I get past the "track select", it simply crashes at this screen and I cannot get it fixed.

Originally Posted by Haze
my guess is they're trying to run without even using the Software List support, expecting it to auto-identify from a loose file.. because a lot of places still seem to say that the 'loose ROM' method is the correct way to use MAME, when it isn't

I've heard so many times about this so called "software list support" but how exactly do I use it? Everything I can find on Google gives you a vague understanding of what it is.

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowMan44

I've heard so many times about this so called "software list support" but how exactly do I use it? Everything I can find on Google gives you a vague understanding of what it is.

mame64 scv polepos2

that tells mame to launch with the 'scv' system and 'polepos2' from the software lists.

if you're not launching with the software lists it literally doesn't matter what's in the XML

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 07:18 PM

Oh

Mame64?

Well shit looks like I can't run it then.

There isn't a way to get it on the 32bit version is there?

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 07:37 PM

64-bit or 32-bit makes no difference, I just put mame64 because that's what I'm using.

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 07:44 PM

Okay

Where is the software list? How do I launch it?

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 07:46 PM

I just gave you the syntax to launch the super cassette vision with pole position 2 from the software list

as long as you have the correct roms in your roms folder (super cassette vision bios in scv.zip , pole position 2 in polepos2.zip ) and a complete MAME distribution (so hash folder present etc.) then that's all you need to do.

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 07:52 PM

The syntax?

Is there like a command prompt thing I gotta type that into or something?

Again, the only things I really know how to use in MAME are the main program and the graphics viewer.

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 07:56 PM

in that case you literally just select 'Super Cassette Vision' and it will present you with the Software List details

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and again, if you have the correct files in your rom folder, it will work.

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 08:00 PM

Oh

You mean like that???

I tried doing that many times before, when I click on it the emulator will just freeze and I have to close it out with task manager.

EDIT

I redownloaded MAME 202 and it fixed it. I think it had something to do with the SCV xml file

Thread can be locked now.
Posted By: R. Belmont

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 08:10 PM

That would indicate a problem with your audio or video configuration. Can you play other games/systems on that copy of MAME?

Re: Super Cassette Vision; how do I fix the games? - 10/30/18 08:16 PM

The problem with it was again, the SCV.xml file was messed around with and Pole Position's code was messed up in some way.
© 2019 Forums