Home Page
Posted By: sleepwalk7 [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 08/07/20 06:09 PM
Hi everybody! First of all I'd like to thank all the mame devs for their awesome work! You're great! 8 Years ago I reported on mametesters a major bug of excting soccer 2 https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5026
I'm not asking for it to be fixed, I know it would be rude to make requests. I just wanted to mention that right on mametesters it had been discussed by some devs of mameteam that the bug could most likely have been a bad dump of the proms and so I was wondering if it shouldn't be reported while loading the game. Thank you for your attention and thank you again for your extraordinary work.
Posted By: Haze Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 08/07/20 06:13 PM
I'm inclined to agree that it needs a dump of the PROM from a real (not bootleg converted) Exciting Soccer 2 PCB, so should probably be flagged as bad_dump, yes.
Posted By: sleepwalk7 Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 08/08/20 05:57 AM
Thank you so much for the reply, Haze! I like your work on Mame! I've forgotten to say that there is an owner of an excting soccer 2 board if Devs agree on redump need: https://www.arcade-museum.com/members/game_census.php?klov_id=7729
Posted By: hap Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 08/08/20 08:48 AM
Sure, I'd love to see a redump of:

prom1.e1
prom3.k5
prom2.8r
Posted By: sleepwalk7 Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/05/20 07:52 AM
Hi everybody! I've read from the commits that excting soccer 2 has been redumped and added correct PROMs. Thanks to all involved!!!
I was just wondering if it has fixed the bug reported here: https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5026. Thanks!!
Posted By: Osso Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/05/20 08:37 AM
Yes, that's why it's marked as fixed wink
Posted By: sleepwalk7 Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Osso
Yes, that's why it's marked as fixed wink

Hi Osso! Thank you for your reply! I've seen that it has been marked as fixed but using a compiled mame 0.255r76029x64 with the new PROMs I've seen that the bug is still there. I'm sorry if I seem like a pain in the *** but it's a bug which appears only after scoring a certain number of goals. here some screenshot of it: https://postimg.cc/gallery/vVPCtdL
After 1st goal... 2 cheers... 2nd goal 3 cheers... 3rd goal 4 cheers and so on... on 3 match cheers changes color and after score they go in reverse....
Posted By: Osso Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 09:58 AM
The bug report says that after you score the second goal the bug appears. I verified that with the new PROMs there's no bug after the second goal. Please add the additional informations to the bug report, so that it can be tested further.
Posted By: Osso Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 10:03 AM
BTW, since we're both Italian can you send me the bug description in Italian via Personal Message? I don't think I'm understanding correctly what you mean.
Posted By: Haze Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 11:28 AM
The bug report is that in the 3rd match, the colours are sill bad (you don't even have to score a goal, the cheerleaders are at the top of the pitch)

At this point, since the correct PROMs are being used (unless they're fake ones made by a board owner for a conversion) it's starting to seem more like a real game bug..
Posted By: Osso Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 12:03 PM
Here, yes. On MAMETesters it said after the second goal and that is fixed.
I don't believe that the cheerleaders 'invading' the field it's a bug. The wrong colors after the 3rd goal surely are, so I'll reopen the bug report on MAMETesters. I'll ask caius if he still has the PCB and can verifiy the behaviours.
Posted By: sleepwalk7 Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 12:05 PM
Hi Haze,
...but do you think it's normal that 3/4 rows of cheerleaders are in the field after you score more than 2/3 goals...?? and the number of the rows increases when you score more goals.... this happens also in the first match
Posted By: Haze Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 12:12 PM
Yes, extra rows are normal to me, I don't see a problem with that, it's a reward for scoring more goals.
Posted By: Osso Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 01:08 PM
Might be worth checking if the game uses a palette bank like some other games in the driver, but not exctsccr.

EDIT: game's too difficult for me, I can almost never score more than a goal or two per game
Posted By: Haze Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 01:55 PM
there are cheats, I had to use cheats myself to get to round 3 (I'[m assuming the reporter didn't use cheats)

to test on a real PCB you'll probably want to give caius an 'auto win' modified ROM or something however, because yes, the game is frustrating.
Posted By: sleepwalk7 Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Haze
there are cheats, I had to use cheats myself to get to round 3 (I'[m assuming the reporter didn't use cheats)

to test on a real PCB you'll probably want to give caius an 'auto win' modified ROM or something however, because yes, the game is frustrating.

I don't use cheats! I know.. the game is hard...
Posted By: caius Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 05:12 PM

Hi guys!
You are right David, the game is too much hard for my taste and besides I'm a bad player too, I'm even unable to score a goal, sorry.So I can't check the behaviour of the game and do a comparison with MAME.I need some help to cheat.Sadly the PCB will be here with me still for few days because I must send it back to the owner.Anyway, thanks as always for the briliant job in emulating this and other games!
Posted By: Haze Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 06:39 PM
unfortunately it looks like they've tied something to the protection (rather than simple checksum) to prevent ROM modification, so hacking the ROM isn't as straightforward as it should be
Posted By: Haze Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 06:45 PM
actially replace this single ROM on the PCB for the test
http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/misc/eprom_2_vr_alpha_denshi.zip

this will reverse the effects of scoring, so if the computer scores it will add to your goals (although you won't get the celebration)

let the computer win the first 2 matches by doing nothing, then on the 3rd match take the ball to the top of the screen, and see what colour the cheerleaders are / take a photo of it. (this part should be easy enough, you don't have to score a goal)

[Linked Image from mamedev.emulab.it]
is how it looks in MAME right now (you can tell it's the 3rd match from the display at the bottom)
Posted By: caius Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/07/20 08:35 PM
Thanks for this David, I will try it out ASAP and report feedback.
Posted By: caius Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/09/20 03:12 PM
Here I am.Thanks to your hacked ROM I played until the 3rd martch and can confirm the cheerleaders have incorrect colors in MAME, here's a picture taken from PCB :

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As for the extra rows of cheerleaders in the field after you score more goals, sorry again but I've been not able to score a single goal, game is damn hard!
Posted By: sleepwalk7 Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/09/20 03:41 PM
Thank you very much Caius! it was a decisive test as now we can say for sure that's a bug in Mame! In my opinion (but I say this without having proof) all these extra rows after scoring seem excessive to me!
Posted By: Haze Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/09/20 04:33 PM
Alright, well given that we're using the same PROMs from the PCB now, and the 3rd match palette doesn't corrupt on the PCB, then yes, it seems a MAME bug, maybe the theory about the palette bank being used is correct. Thank you for testing, it's good to have the original reference.

The extra rows of cheerleaders look intentional based on my own study of the code, there's code that loops around based on the number of goals you've scored, up to a limit of what can be shown on screen. I can't give caius an easy test for this, because the code does seem to have additional checks (involving the protection device) against modification, even if you match the checksum or patch out the initial checksum.

Posted By: caius Re: [Mame] excting soccer 2 - 10/09/20 04:49 PM
Alright, well given that we're using the same PROMs from the PCB now, and the 3rd match palette doesn't corrupt on the PCB, then yes, it seems a MAME bug, maybe the theory about the palette bank being used is correct. Thank you for testing, it's good to have the original reference.

You are welcome!I can confirm the BPROMs dumps are good, I dumped the devices three times with different programmers and I got always the same CRCs

The extra rows of cheerleaders look intentional based on my own study of the code, there's code that loops around based on the number of goals you've scored, up to a limit of what can be shown on screen. I can't give caius an easy test for this, because the code does seem to have additional checks (involving the protection device) against modification, even if you match the checksum or patch out the initial checksum.

I put all my effort into it but, me bad, I was not able to score a goal:(
Anyway, I can keep the board still for some time so feel free to ask about further checking
© Forums