Home Page
Posted By: MAMEBase Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 08/24/07 05:47 AM
Hey folks -

I've created a little Automater Application that will properly format your existing MacMAME screenshot collection (AKA The MacMAME Screenshot Library) into a format used by MAME OS X 0.118

You can get it at my home page

Enjoy!
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 08/24/07 01:11 PM
LOL, I wish I had known about this a week ago so I wouldn't have to create subfolders for every single one of my games. :p

Oh well, thanks for this!
Posted By: seanraaron Re: Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 08/24/07 04:14 PM
I used automator to make the directories, but I couldn't figure out how to use it to move the files, so I just did it manually. If I'd been bothered I probably would have used a shell script, but automator didn't seem to have the flexbility to use aliases. How did you pull it off?
Posted By: MAMEBase Re: Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 08/25/07 09:32 AM
I'm running an AppleScript within the workflow. I can post the workflow document if anyone's interested
Posted By: seanraaron Re: Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 08/25/07 09:50 AM
It would be educational. Disappointed you had to run another script within, though I guess Automator isn't meant to do everything, right?
Posted By: MAMEBase Re: Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 08/25/07 05:11 PM
It's up...

Yeah, it would have been nice if I could have simply recorded a sequence of events, and had Automator do the rest, but this works... smile
Posted By: jonceramame Re: Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 08/28/07 01:56 AM
MAMEBase, this is awesome. Thanks!

Say, I was wondering if you'd add a feature... (since I'm not an automator guy)

I also have titles, marquees, cabinet art, etc.

I would love to have a script which not only put 1 set of images in a file, but that also appended "-title" to each file name and then saved in the proper folder.

Script would ask for append name you'd like.
Script would look for the proper folder name.
If no folder name, then create folder name.
Append name you've given to file.
Move file to folder name.

This way, I could get _all_ of my artwork in the folder.

TIA,

Jon
Posted By: jonceramame Re: Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 08/28/07 02:43 AM
A few bugs I encountered... I got some kind of error when I tried to do all 5xxx of them. It flashed so fast I couldn't read it.

I had been trying it on "screenshots copy" right in my folder.

I think possibly having a space in the folder name and then having "screenshots" in there also was the problem. I got a big problem when I ran it on "screenshots" -- it erased "screenshots copy"!

Also, it doesn't like spaces in file names either when there's both "filename" and "filename copy" in the same folder. (Seems to just over write files when you put the same .png file in the folder that already has the folder.)

I copied my "screenshots copy" _out_ of my MAME OS X folder and onto my desktop. Changed the name to "screenshotscopy", and then, no problems.

So, to make it clear - just doing "Apple-D" for you "backup" isn't good. I needed to rename the copied folder and take out spaces in the filename.

Thanks again for the tool!

Jon

The download link is dead, can this be reposted?
Posted By: MAMEBase Re: Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 10/12/07 07:28 PM
Hmmm... That's Odd...

Try this link
Strange, just losing the "www" worked. Thanks!
Posted By: veggiespam Re: Format Screenshots for MAME OS X - 12/25/07 05:05 AM
Instead of using automator, I just wrote a quick shell script. cd into your Screenshots dir and then run:

for i in *.png; do mkdir `basename $i .png`; mv $i `basename $i .png`; done

This will take 'game.png', create game dir, and move game.png into the new dir. If you download new images from somewhere, just plop them into your dir and rerun this script - it will overwrite any updated images, but will not erase any 0000.png screen shots that you have done in game.
© Forums