Home Page
Posted By: macfaninpdx Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/19/07 02:47 PM
(Subject says it all)
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/19/07 03:09 PM
Dave's been running Leopard developer previews approximately forever, so I'd hope it is smile
You know, I actually hate when this sort of question comes up.

I've been getting almost daily questions about whether my stuff is compatible with Leopard. Guess what? I don't know.

Nor will I until probably about a week after American audiences get it... smile
Posted By: Dave Dribin Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/19/07 08:10 PM
Actually, I haven't tried. My Leopard use has mainly been for work. Hopefully there's no issues. wink

-Dave
Posted By: macfaninpdx Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/19/07 09:48 PM
Originally Posted By Richard Bannister
I've been getting almost daily questions about whether my stuff is compatible with Leopard. Guess what? I don't know.

I just assumed that developers would have early access to Leopard to test their software. I have read that Dave does in fact have it.

Originally Posted By Richard Bannister
You know, I actually hate when this sort of question comes up.

Didn't mean to offend anyone... wink I am asking because I am trying to decide if I will upgrade the OS on my mini that is in my cabinet. It will be the difference of a family pack or not. Leopard would add some cool eye-candy to my interface.
Posted By: Martin Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/23/07 06:04 PM
I'm sure it worked fine last time I tried it.

If anyone wants me to test anything specific then tell me what and I'll reboot for a bit [:)]
Posted By: Monotremata Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/24/07 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By macfaninpdx

I just assumed that developers would have early access to Leopard to test their software. I have read that Dave does in fact have it.

No. Only the folks who want to pay for an Apple Developer Membership. Cheapest one that gets you Leopard betas is $500.
Posted By: Martin Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/24/07 10:30 AM
Per year!

If you use your machine for development and plan on buying new hardware fairly regularly then the figures add up to a no brainer. Particularly this year with Leopard coming out.

If however you don't plan on taking advantage of some of the other benefits then it's a harder choice. Particularly if the projects you work on are non revenue generating (open source for instance). I think one way for someone like Richard to go would be to have a donations link for the software he has available with the simple statement that if people want advance notification of whether the code works on pre-release versions of OSX then enough funds would need to be raised to make it happen.

Simple fact is though that's a personal choice and obviously not everyone is going to want to even consider going down that route smile

Only 2 days, 6 hours and 30 minutes to go now though!
Posted By: Martin Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/25/07 08:06 PM
Talking of which - don't suppose anyone has heard when the final version is likely to be seeded to eligible ADC members have they?

I'm kind of puzzled as to why it's not yet appeared!

Knowing the good old Royal Mail in the UK I'm perfectly sure it won't be dropping through my door in the morning (or Sat. morning depending on the timing!)
Posted By: KBeazley Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/25/07 09:07 PM
Well, you could always test some of the preview builds floating around the various file-sharing networks, though I haven't personally done that myself. Anyway, Leopard comes out here tomorrow in the U.S. !.. I'm going to wait a bit though to see if there are any "issues", though knowing Apple there probably won't be...
Posted By: Martin Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/25/07 09:24 PM
I've had all the preview builds genuinely from Apple (well, okay there were one or two I didn't bother downloading due to bandwidth limitations but you get the idea!), just curious and itching to get my hands on the final build smile
Posted By: Martin Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/26/07 09:16 PM
Just to report back on this, Pacman and the like work just fine. That's about as far as I've got with testing and about as far as I'm likely too [:)]

SDLMame gives me the same results too but I doubt I'm on the latest version of that!
I've received my copy of Leopard and my stuff appears to work normally.
Posted By: Carbon Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 10/27/07 01:44 PM
Both MAME OS X and SDLMAME seem to work fine (during my limited test).

If you enable Spaces (very cool), you should change the default keyboard shortcut (Control key + arrow keys). I kept on switching virtual screens while shooting down invaders until I changed the keys... :-)

And I'm happy to report that AuditCleaner works, too wink
Posted By: Cesco Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/01/07 10:48 AM
MAME OS X works like a charm under Leopard, here's the proof:

With Spaces(TM) you can even move your game window in a different space from the browser window, and Leo will switch from a space to another one automatically when you launch a game or when you exit from a game.

The only drawback is that since the CTRL key is used along with the arrow keys to switch between spaces, when you will play a game with the keyboard you will frequently switch accidentaly the actual space...
Posted By: MooglyGuy Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/01/07 05:12 PM
Originally Posted By Cesco
The only drawback is that since the CTRL key is used along with the arrow keys to switch between spaces, when you will play a game with the keyboard you will frequently switch accidentaly the actual space...

Um, what's to stop you from telling MAME to use something other than the CTRL key? The inputs are remappable, after all.
Posted By: Carbon Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/01/07 09:04 PM
Or the other way round as I suggested in my post smile
Posted By: Cesco Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/03/07 07:12 AM
Originally Posted By MooglyGuy
Um, what's to stop you from telling MAME to use something other than the CTRL key?

My bad old habits, I suppose :P

I used to play games with that combination of keys for ages, since MAME 0.1... er, no... since Sparcade 1.0 smile
Posted By: Cesco Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/03/07 07:16 AM
Originally Posted By Carbon
Or the other way round as I suggested in my post smile

Thank you, I have just changed the key mapping on Spaces.

MAME vs SPACES ? That's a no-brainer, MAME wins hands down laugh
Posted By: KBeazley Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/04/07 08:16 PM
So I guess MAME works fine under Leopard.. I know this is slightly off topic, but has anyone tested Audio Overload on Leopard ?..

Or furthermore, anyone noticed any significant incompatibilities/issues with any software than worked fine under Tiger ?.. For instance, does Safari 2 work under Leopard ?.. Unfortunately, some sites that I visit have not yet made themselves compatible with Safari 3..

Btw.. Nice desktop, Cesco..
Posted By: Martin Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/04/07 08:33 PM
Rapidweaver currently has a lot of issues. Pixelmator is turned to complete mush by Leopard. Little Snitch requires a paid upgrade (to a beta of their product!!!) and I've noticed one or two issues with that.

I'm sure there's plenty, plenty more but on the whole most of it should bed down with updated releases fairly soon. Let's just hope we don't see much more of forcing to pay for the privilege like Little Snitch!
Posted By: Monotremata Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/04/07 08:45 PM
Umm I didnt have to pay a dime for the new beta of Little Snitch.
Just downloaded it from Macupdate along with the developers beta serial number..
No money left my hands here.

And yeah so far MAME OS X working fine..
Back on 117 over here so I can use my artwork...
Posted By: Martin Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/04/07 08:53 PM
Well, no, neither did I, but if I want to go properly to the latest version I'll have to pay the upgrade fee. In reality it's made me consider the fact that I don't really need it any more so it'll probably end up being deleted.

Anyway, that's way OT smile
Posted By: Cesco Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/05/07 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By KBeazley
Btw.. Nice desktop, Cesco..

I found that wallpaper on this site:

http://www.nintendolife.com/wallpapers
Posted By: KBeazley Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/07/07 08:13 AM
Cesco: Ah, thanks for the link..

Well, I just got Leopard today.. will probably install soon..
Posted By: Dave Dribin Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/08/07 03:15 PM
Hmmm.... finally tested under Leopard. The only weird thing seems to be the Command-F shortcut for "Fullscreen" seems to be broken. For some reason, it's enabling visual effects (Command-E). Weird.... I'll have to look into that one, as menus and key bindings are all handled by Interface Builder.

-Dave

Posted By: Brian Kendig Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/08/07 05:32 PM
Just to provide another data point, I'm having that same issue with Command-F under Leopard.

Posted By: Monotremata Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/08/07 11:20 PM
Oh shouldve mentioned this I have the fullscreen issue as well!
Looks like its a confirmed hehe.

It happens in both .118, and the .117-1 release (I went back to that and MAME Library so I could use my neato artwork again hehe)..

Martin - gotcha now I see what you meant! guess i better be ready cause I think this current beta license expires next week already!
Posted By: MasterTurkey Re: Is MAME OS X Leopard compatible? - 11/16/07 06:45 AM
yes but some problems with the audit feature. before with osx10.4 it got some of the "good" roms, but not all. So not an entirely perfect feature to begin with, but a nice one. Now it's not working. So I'm using the favorites feature. which is just as good, but a pain in the ass. The OpenGL runs much better with osx than mac mame. Running Soul Edge and Kinst2 is actually possible and not skippy. Virtua fighter looks nice as well. Some over all copyness in the emulation, but time will fix those things. My question is, whens the next update of os x? I think it has the most promise. PLEASE KEEP WORKING ON IT! lol. How much do I have to pay, to get a better audit, a prog that doesn't quit all the time, quit when the rom doesn't load, etc etc... ???? $$$ ????
© Forums