Home Page
Posted By: Dave Dribin [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 07:05 AM
Version 0.119 is up at:

http://mameosx.sourceforge.net/

Changes are:
  • Upgrade to 0.119 baseline.
  • Ignores input while in the background.
  • Properly normalize analog joysticks (#1780515).
  • Fix double Command-Q to quit (#1789071).
  • Fix quitting after errors (#1799359).
  • Fix Command-F enables visual effects on Leopard (#1843080).
  • Remove "Status" column per mamedev's request.
  • Tweak performance of game list.
  • Don't default to auditing at startup.
  • Fix vector flicker default setting.
  • Add joystick deadzone and saturation UI preferences.
  • Fix crash on exit for games with overlays and artwork (#1785151)

-Dave
Posted By: Golan Klinger Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 08:45 AM
First off, thanks!

The bad news is that things aren't working out so well. When I run 0.119 it tells me it is "Updating game list" and nothing ever happens. I tried removing the entire ~/Library/Application Support/MAME OS X directory and letting MAME OS X create a new one (in case something was buggered) and no joy. I even tried to simplify things by putting a single, working ROM in the ROMs folder. Still nothing. I'm not sure what to try next. I'm open to suggestions.

Also, might I ask what "Remove "Status" column per mamedev's request" means? They didn't want you to list whether a game was working or not? I must be missing something here.
Posted By: etabeta78 Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 09:10 AM
about the Status column, it's been removed from MAMEUI (once MAME32) on Windows as well. This was the explaination

Quote:
Per MameDEV request; removed the ROMs view customization item, and reworked auditing to not show an icon change state for unavailable sets in all games folder view. This was to bring Mame32 into compliance w/ the section of the Mame terms of usage which states 'Do not provide a means of generating a list of games that specifically identifies those games for which the user does not have image files'. Audit functionality and game search on start is still present to populate the 'Available' folder view.[Mike Haaland]

Posted By: Carbon Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 09:41 AM
I'm having the same problem as Golan.

Also, I tried compiling the source: I made sure to out the MAME 0.119 in the right place, but compilation didn't not succeed. This is the first error I got:

Code:
Building target “UnitTests” of project “mameosx” with configuration “Release” — (30 errors)
	    cd /Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119
    /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x objective-c -arch i386 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O3 -Wreturn-
type -fmessage-length=0 -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -I/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/build/mameosx.build/
Release/UnitTests.build/UnitTests.hmap -F/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/build/Release -F/Developer/
Library/Frameworks -I/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/build/Release/include -I/Users/charel/Desktop/
mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/mame/src/mame -I/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/mame/src/mame/includes -I/
Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/mame/src/emu -I/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/mame/src -
I/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/mame/src/osd -I/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/mame/src/
lib/util -I/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/mame -I/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/osx -I/
Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/build/layouts -I/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/build/
mameosx.build/Release/UnitTests.build/DerivedSources -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -include /Library/Caches/
com.apple.Xcode.501/SharedPrecompiledHeaders/mame-grhfnxgceufesubrmmgaxnlzcaji/mame.pch -c /Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/
mameosx/tags/0.119/tests/MameFileManagerTest.m -o /Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/build/mameosx.build/
Release/UnitTests.build/Objects-normal/i386/MameFileManagerTest.o

/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/tests/MameFileManagerTest.m: In function '-[MameFileManagerTest testReadFile]':

/Users/charel/Desktop/mameosx/mameosx/tags/0.119/tests/MameFileManagerTest.m:38: error: 'mame_file_error' undeclared (first use in this function)

Edit: quitting and relaunching MAME OS X fixed the auditing problem at start-up for me.

2nd Edit: MAME OS X compiles fine, it is the UnitTests target that fails to build. Does anybody know what this unit is used for?
Posted By: Golan Klinger Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 08:15 PM
Originally Posted By etabeta78
about the Status column, it's been removed from MAMEUI (once MAME32) on Windows as well. This was the explaination

Quote:
Per MameDEV request; removed the ROMs view customization item, and reworked auditing to not show an icon change state for unavailable sets in all games folder view. This was to bring Mame32 into compliance w/ the section of the Mame terms of usage which states 'Do not provide a means of generating a list of games that specifically identifies those games for which the user does not have image files'. Audit functionality and game search on start is still present to populate the 'Available' folder view.[Mike Haaland]

Thanks for posting that. I find that interesting because I was doing specifically what they didn't want me to do. I would look at the list of games I didn't have (and in most cases had never heard of) and would look them up at MAWS to see if it was a game I might enjoy.

I went back and tried 0.118 and oddly it no longer appears to allow me to do it either. It is as if installation of the new version has removed the functionality from the previous version somehow. I think I'll try installing 0.118 on another machine so I can generate a list of the games I don't have.
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 08:17 PM
And that's exactly why we don't want you to do it - you are pirating intellectual property that you otherwise wouldn't have because of the feature.
Posted By: budge Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 08:30 PM
if you don't select "preserve game aspect ratio" and select visual effect on "aperture" and "start in full screen" when you play Ghouls'n Ghosts only left side screen is visible, a bug?
Posted By: seanraaron Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 08:34 PM
Golan,

Does it keep saying that? It did that for me and stopped, but nothing came up. I then went to the filters setting and changed it to All and everything came up; changed back to Favourites and it looked normal. Restarted and all was well.

Might be an idea to blow away your preferences file: ~Library/Preferences/net.mame.mameosx.plist and see if that changes anything.

Of course if it doesn't go to the bug reporting section of Dave's sourceforge page and put down the requested info to help him out as I don't think he checks this page for bug reports.
Posted By: Dave Dribin Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By Golan Klinger

The bad news is that things aren't working out so well. When I run 0.119 it tells me it is "Updating game list" and nothing ever happens. I tried removing the entire ~/Library/Application Support/MAME OS X directory and letting MAME OS X create a new one (in case something was buggered) and no joy. I even tried to simplify things by putting a single, working ROM in the ROMs folder. Still nothing. I'm not sure what to try next. I'm open to suggestions.

Can you enable debug logging (Preferences > Messages) and try again? Create a new bug at SourceForge and attach the output of the log file. Also, attach your preferences file, so I can see if it's something in there that's causing it. You can try trashing the prefs, but please keep a copy so I can inspect, if you don't mind.

-Dave

Posted By: Golan Klinger Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/15/07 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
And that's exactly why we don't want you to do it - you are pirating intellectual property that you otherwise wouldn't have because of the feature.

You are making assumptions. Regardless, the functionality has been removed as per the request and MAME OS X is now in compliance so the issue falls into the category of 'that which is understood need not be discussed'.

Originally Posted By Dave Dribin
Can you enable debug logging (Preferences > Messages) and try again?

Will do. Now that I've had some sleep I'm going to experiment a bit more and see if I can create a coherent bug report rather than a vague description of the problem.
Posted By: budge Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/16/07 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By budge
if you don't select "preserve game aspect ratio" and select visual effect on "aperture" and "start in full screen" when you play Ghouls'n Ghosts only left side screen is visible, a bug?

dave, you can test it?
Posted By: Monotremata Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/16/07 02:40 AM
Congrats on the release but dear god this first audit is killing me!!

G4 dual 1.6Ghz with Leopard, its been auditing for like 2 hours now. Just got to the Super section of S heh.
Posted By: marlwin Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/17/07 01:50 AM

dave, you can test it?

I use the same settings with ghouls'n'ghost and everything is visible. Did you choose Zoom level: integral ?

edit: Oops "don't select" ok... Sorry. hm still working though
Posted By: budge Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/17/07 03:25 PM
Posted By: eweeks Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/17/07 06:12 PM
Great job on this. Thanks! I do have one feature request if you've got the time. I would be really nice to be able to choose to have a scan line effect (or any other effect) that is active on rasterized games but not active on vector games.

I only have rudimentary programming skills, but I'd be happy to help as possible (e.g. betatesting, etc.) -- I hate to make a request and not offer to help in some way.

Thanks again for a great program.
Posted By: etabeta78 Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/17/07 10:03 PM
if MAMEOSX works as baseline, you should be able to

1. create mame.ini and set the effect as scanlines.png or whatever you like
2. create a vector.ini with effect none (the rest untouched or as you like it)

and obtain the result you want. the problem is that I don't recall where this vector.ini should be put with MAMEOSX. with baseline, iirc, would be in the ini folder
Posted By: Dave Dribin Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/18/07 12:15 AM

dave, you can test it?

Tried it with other games, and it works fine. What version of OS X are you using, and what's the size of your monitor? Did previous versions work better?

-Dave

Posted By: Dave Dribin Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/18/07 12:16 AM
Originally Posted By etabeta78
if MAMEOSX works as baseline, you should be able to

1. create mame.ini and set the effect as scanlines.png or whatever you like
2. create a vector.ini with effect none (the rest untouched or as you like it)

and obtain the result you want. the problem is that I don't recall where this vector.ini should be put with MAMEOSX. with baseline, iirc, would be in the ini folder

Won't work. MAME OS X uses Quartz Composer compositions for its effects. File a feature request.

-Dave

Posted By: budge Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/18/07 08:12 AM
Tried it with other games, and it works fine. What version of OS X are you using, and what's the size of your monitor? Did previous versions work better?

Only game with 384x224 don't works, mameosx 0.118 have same problem, i'v imac 24 aluminium with leopard and monitor resolution of 1920*1200, see mameosx log:

Aspect ratio: 0.000000, Minimum size: 384x224, visible size: 384x224
Full screen size: {1920, 1120} of {1920, 1200}
Render frames in: Quartz Composer Composition
Render in Core Video thread: NO

if i press cmd-e and toggle effect, it work well.
Posted By: CrispyXUK Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/19/07 02:55 PM
Is there a reason you chose to have screenshots / titles / etc in a different directory format to other platforms?
Posted By: Dave Dribin Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/19/07 04:26 PM
Originally Posted By CrispyXUK
Is there a reason you chose to have screenshots / titles / etc in a different directory format to other platforms?

Screenshots are handled identically to baseline MAME.

-Dave

Posted By: MisterMD Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/20/07 01:48 AM
I've come across a minor cosmetic bug and was wondering if others can reproduce it: If you select Window > Log, then resize the Log window by grabbing the bottom-right corner and dragging up and down, does the Clear Log button also move and up down while you're dragging?
Posted By: Brian Kendig Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/20/07 03:05 PM
How do I get the game list to show me only the games I actually have? I waited through the audit, but that doesn't appear to have done anything. Why is it still showing me a complete list including games it now knows I don't have?

What does View -> Toggle Substitution do? All it does for me is bring up the message "You must run an audit to populate this list", and then when I click "Audit Unaudited Games" it just brings me back to the full game list.

What's the difference between selecting "Good" and "Favorites" in the filter? How do I set a game as 'good' even though it might not be one of my favorites?

When I launched MAME OS X for the first time, it said 'Updating game list' and game me the same 'You must run an audit" message, but the "Audit" button was greyed out. What's the difference between updating the game list and running an audit? I quit MAME OS X and relaunched it before the "updating game list" went away, and now it never came back - is that a problem, should I have let it finish first?

Posted By: Bob Boyle Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/20/07 04:52 PM
Wow!

Lot of questions there, the answers to which are fairly straight-forward, if you had spent more than five minutes before posting here. Click "Good" to see which ROMs you actually have. Click "Favorites" to see which ROMs you've tagged as your favorites. To tag a ROM as your favorite, select it in the list, then click the Heart in the toolbox. Viola.
Posted By: Dave Dribin Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/20/07 09:03 PM
Originally Posted By Brian Kendig
What does View -> Toggle Substitution do? All it does for me is bring up the message "You must run an audit to populate this list", and then when I click "Audit Unaudited Games" it just brings me back to the full game list.

Whoops... "Toggle Substitution " is a remnant of debugging. Don't use it.

Quote:
When I launched MAME OS X for the first time, it said 'Updating game list' and game me the same 'You must run an audit" message, but the "Audit" button was greyed out. What's the difference between updating the game list and running an audit? I quit MAME OS X and relaunched it before the "updating game list" went away, and now it never came back - is that a problem, should I have let it finish first?

"Updating game list" means it's reading information from baseline MAME, and storing it in a database. Basically, it's populating the "All" list. It'll only do it once, per MAME version. Thus if/when a new version comes out, it'll update again since 0.120 (or whatever) supports different games than 0.119. If the last item in your "All" list is "Zzyzzyxx (set 2)", then if finished properly.

-Dave
Posted By: Dave Dribin Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/20/07 09:04 PM
Originally Posted By MisterMD
I've come across a minor cosmetic bug and was wondering if others can reproduce it: If you select Window > Log, then resize the Log window by grabbing the bottom-right corner and dragging up and down, does the Clear Log button also move and up down while you're dragging?

I can reproduce that. Would you mind filing a bug at SourceForge?

-Dave

Posted By: marlwin Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/20/07 11:28 PM
I got time to try it a bit more and I'm glad that now I can customize the keystroke for the volume (since I don't have direct ~tilde key on my keyboard). Thanks.
Posted By: Brian Kendig Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/21/07 05:07 AM
Originally Posted By Bob Boyle
Lot of questions there, the answers to which are fairly straight-forward, if you had spent more than five minutes before posting here.

Bob, the sarcasm isn't appreciated. I know how Favorites work, and I wasn't asking anything about that.

My confusion was because "Good" isn't showing me the roms I actually have. The list is close, but there are some games missing from it whose roms I have, and whose audit passes with no errors. This may be due to the way I store my roms ('non-merged'). I'll do some research and see if I can figure out what's going on.

It helps to know that 'Good' means 'Exists On My Hard Drive', but this raises a new question - if MAME OS X goes to the trouble of figuring out what roms I have, then why should it bother showing me a list of all roms it supports? Like, if I don't have Mappy, then why would I want to see a list containing Mappy that would let me try to start Mappy? Why would anyone ever want to use the 'All' list instead of 'Good'?

Posted By: Brian Kendig Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/21/07 05:09 AM
"Updating game list" means it's reading information from baseline MAME, and storing it in a database. Basically, it's populating the "All" list. It'll only do it once, per MAME version.

Should this be a modal operation, then? Shouldn't it prevent me from doing anything until it populates the list fully, lest I jump the gun and then wonder why the list only shows half of my games?

And rather than a static message and a barberpole, would it be possible to make it say what game's info it's loading, and have a progress bar to show how far along it is?

Posted By: budge Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/21/07 04:24 PM
What version of OS X are you using, and what's the size of your monitor? Did previous versions work better?

Only game with 384x224 don't works, mameosx 0.118 have same problem, i'v imac 24 aluminium with leopard and monitor resolution of 1920*1200, see mameosx log:

Aspect ratio: 0.000000, Minimum size: 384x224, visible size: 384x224
Full screen size: {1920, 1120} of {1920, 1200}
Render frames in: Quartz Composer Composition
Render in Core Video thread: NO

if i press cmd-e and toggle effect, it work well.

someone can reproduce this?
Posted By: Bob Boyle Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/21/07 06:39 PM
You're the one who asked what the difference between Good and Favorites was . . .
Posted By: MisterMD Re: [ANN]: MAME OS X 0.119 Released - 12/22/07 08:21 PM
I can reproduce that. Would you mind filing a bug at SourceForge?

Just filed it - thanks Dave.
© Forums