Home Page
Posted By: Sixtoe The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 02:34 AM
OK, here we go, time to vote for your all time greatest game music companies!

**if you vote for other post a small note on who it is please!**
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 02:52 AM
This is actually a lot tougher choice than it first seems, as you tend to pick out certain tracks, but then consistancy comes into it...

For example, Skull Fang by Data East has probably got one of the best soundtracks of any game I've ever played, but Im pretty hard pushed to actually think of any other game they've done that is in the least bit memorable (apart from maybe Vapor Trail, which is skull fangs prequel) so in my view it'd be unfair to vote for them off the back of 1 game.

The nod for me probably has to go to Sega, for pure consistancy and quality, only marginally nosing ahead of Konami, with Taito coming close behind, its pretty much hard for me to choose between the 3 of them as they each have outstanding contributions to the whole genre, but I feel that Sega has probably had more influence than any of the others.

Konami are, musically, arguably better, but their approach seems to be refinement/evolution rather than revolution, and shamelessly heavily plagiarising themselves and others to great effect smile

So, there you go, what do you think!
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 05:42 AM
Bugger, hit the wrong button!
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 06:10 AM
I'm with Six - Konami's individually done soundtracks of unbeatable quality, but Sega's more consistent, and more original (as long as you ignore the System 16 games ;-)
Posted By: IceMan Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 06:25 AM
Gotta be Sega! Though some other companies have sublime music tracks too

Ice
Posted By: Turbo Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 09:36 AM
Well, since I'm now an official Dance Dance Revolution addict, along with half of all their other games...
Posted By: carrotroot Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 12:39 PM
I think sega hired God to composed all of the music for their XY games in the 80's & early 90's...cause it's really good stuff, especially AfterBurner 2!
Arcade companies across the board were able to do GREAT things with a YM2151.
Capcom did great things on CPS1 with the YM2151 (for example, Street Fighter II)

Sega did great things in their YM2151 boards too (although I cant find a specific example right now)
Posted By: Tetrafish Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 08:55 PM
<center><font face=nisesega, color=0000FF, size=7>SEGA</font>
forever!</center>

*bows in reverence*

Oh, ^that doesn't work. :annoyed: It's the thought that counts. Try it out (or see it) here . Why is it green even though I have the hex code for blue?

Super Hang-On is my Favorite.

Gradius 3's music... Good stuff too. That's 'bout all I know of - by Konami. :bemused:
Posted By: mfm005 Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 09:19 PM
SNK...sorry...
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 09:25 PM
To be fair, its easy to say that great things were done on the most popular and powerful chip at any time (which the 2151 was) as all the best people were writing music for it!

You gotta give companies like Taito credit for going with something else like the YM2203 (although Taito have always done things differently from everyone else, usually to pretty good effect)

After the YM2151 was generally replaced by the new ADPCM chips it was pretty heavily used as a "rythm" sound chip (they bolted on whatever their current uber PCM/DSP chip they had to it, i.e. the SegaPCM) by most companies, something it doesnt get a lot of credit for...
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Braider:
Gradius 3's music... Good stuff too. That's 'bout all I know of - by Konami. :bemused:
Try Gradius 1&2, Xexex, Gyruss, Parodius, Sexy & Gokujo Parodius, Thundercross 1&2, Contra, A-Jax, Salamander 1&2, Twinbee Yahoo!, Sunset Riders, Gaiapolis, Castlevania, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1&2 (1 is notable for having a sound chip specifically for Title song) and The Simpsons.

That should do you, not to mention the Konami Original DDR tracks...
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 09:46 PM
Some top (M1) soundtracks by company (not anywhere near an exhaustive list):

Sega: Space Harrier, OutRun, Galaxy Force II, Golden Axe II, Daytona USA

Konami: Gyruss, Salamander, Gradius III, Ultimate Battler Dadandarn, Sexy Parodius

Capcom: Darkstalkers

Taito: Ninjawarriors, Rastan, Psychic Force, Darius II

Namco: Mappy, Air Combat, Ridge Racer

Others: St. Dragon (NMK), Guwange (Cave), Marble Madness (Atari), Attack From Mars (Williams pinball)
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 10:07 PM
*Additional best M1 stuff...*

Sega: Afterburner 2, Power Drift, Turbo Outrun (superb), Super Hang-on, Virtua Racing (great little sound bites)

Konami: Thundercross 2, Xexex

Namco: Starblade, Rolling Thunder

Taito: Bubble Bobble, New Zealand Story

Others: Vapor Trail (Data East), King Of Fighters 98 (SNK), Road Runner (Atari)

Worst: D.D.Crew (Sega) - Truly fantastically abysmal...
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/09/04 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mfm005:
SNK...sorry...
Heh, SNK have actually produced a few great soundtracks, King of Fighters 97 and 98 are both pretty great and Metal Slug was pretty good as well, fitting the game nicely.

It was obvious when Playmore took over from SNK as the music went instantly down the toilet.
Posted By: Tetrafish Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/10/04 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sixtoe:
Try Gradius 1&2,
Actually, I guess I kinda forgot when I posted. I do have the Gradius Arcade Soundtrack (1, 2, 3, 4). But I always loved Gradius III's music since I first played it on my nephews SNES back in 1980-something.

Hmm... Right now: I'm listening to the song where you enter your initials from Space Harrier II. That's another great Sega tune. laugh But let's not turn this into a "What are listening to now?" topic. :rolleyes:
Posted By: MooglyGuy Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/10/04 03:31 AM
You're all a load of useless bloody loonies. Apparently none of you have listened to Battletoads in M1. frown
Posted By: Lillymon Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/10/04 03:07 PM
Atari: Marble Madness was nice, but I haven't really listened to (or played) anything else by them.

Capcom: Marvel Vs. Capcom and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters have gotten more M1 playtime recently than anything else. Every time something else tries to get a look in, they end up kicking it out.

Data East: I liked Magical Drop III, but haven't really played a huge lot by Data East in MAME or M1. I probably should do more, but I discovered Monster Farm Jump in ZiNc and rediscovered Radikal Bikers in Aaron Giles' standalone emulator. MAME isn't getting much of a look in edgeways.

Konami: I could go on about the final boss of Tokkae Taisen-dama being harder and cheaper than Rugal Bernstein and Onslaught put together, but I won't. Tokkae Taisen-dama is the only Konami game which has gotten any serious playtime in M1, and the lack of a list for it has hindered future prospects.

Midway: Nope, barely played a thing by them. I generally don't like American games. I'd list a few British (Banjo-Kazooie, Goldeneye 007) as my top games, and a huge load of Japanese games, but no American games even come close.

Namco: I've played a lot of Namco games, but none of their music stands out for me. I thought Ridge Racer Type 4 was great, but we're talking about arcade games here.

Sega: At the moment, Sega's going to have to settle for number 2. I've heard a lot of Out Run, OutRunners and After Burner II in M1, but Capcom music keeps kicking them out of M1 and my mind. Incidentally, Ristar is the only game in my main playlist where all of the tracks have met my standards and stayed.

Taito: Number 3. There are some games with Taito music that I'd like to listen to. Puzzle Bobble 2, Puzzle Bobble 3, Puchi Carat, but they're all Taito F3 games and they don't agree with M1. I've tried the NeoGeo version of Puzzle Bobble 2, but it's just not the same.

I'm still trying to decide which to vote for.
Posted By: Oz Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/10/04 09:49 PM
data east...Desert Assault, one of the best.
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/10/04 11:07 PM
I've changed my mind on what I said about SNK, streaming samples off a PCM chip is cheating, anyone can do that...

O, also, you have to give a huge amount of credit to Williams for their exceptional original Pinball soundtracks, M1 doesnt do them justice as they're largely dynamic soundtracks that change according to the play so you get 10 second soundbites smile
Check out Black Knight 2000 for just an example of a great pinball soundtrack,

Six...

p.s. good music is the exception to the rule with Data East wink
Posted By: Oz Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/10/04 11:38 PM
yes PCM and MPEG are very easy methods to do greats musics...But behind the hardware, there are Artists wink ...
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/10/04 11:45 PM
You want an exceptional example of streamed music then look no further than the Sega Touring Car Championship soundtrack, the OST album has the non-downsampled full length tracks which are superb,

Six...
Posted By: Oz Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/11/04 01:06 AM
yes...or the SATURN version @ 44Khz! The poor DSB suck when Kbyte is extremely expensive in arcade world (and OPR dark side)

Sonic the fighter is a great exemple of a good MIDI composition (and Violent Storm too)
Posted By: IceMan Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/11/04 01:59 AM
um or the PC version, obviously lol!
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/13/04 06:16 AM
Here's a "vote" for Namco by MinWah . Anyone else chopped up some soundtracks using M1? smile
Can't choose, they're all pretty good, though the only games by Data East I can remember playing are Spinmaster for the Neo-Geo and Karate Champ. Also, what's wrong with the System 16 music? I think it sounds great, at least in the good games (and not the crappy ones).
Posted By: exolon Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/13/04 01:01 PM
Hi, some great choices here!

I'd like to add...

Jaleco: Saint Dragon (tracks are too short, but great sound anyway!)
Technos: Blockout (drool)
Namco: Assault, Metal Hawk, Dragon Saber, Phelios
Sega: G-Force II (drool drool), Alien Storm (nicely bizarre) and Outrun (superbe, mais oui!)
Capcom: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (drool^3), Mercs, Punisher, SF2 (their later fighting games often seem to sound a bit too boppy and, for want of a better word, slutty)
Irem: R-Type (n)
Konami: Gyruss wink
Data East: Midnight Resistance, Sly Spy (although the Commodore 64 soundtrack for Sly Spy is better, possibly because it's less sleazy, somehow... also, this seems to be the same sound hardware (Hu6820) as used in the PC Engine?).

And loads more... out of the music/games I'm familiar with, Namco is a definite winner, with Sega squeezing in behind.
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/13/04 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Technosoft Fan:
Also, what's wrong with the System 16 music? I think it sounds great, at least in the good games (and not the crappy ones).
Theres nothing wrong with the sound chips as such, its just the apart from the few happy exceptions the System16 games had pretty poor quality music in general.

I imagine this is partly down to the fact that all the best music peeps were no doubt employed on the A list titles (which all appeared on whatever was the current state of the art hardware, which System16 never was) and that left the System16 titles to be handled by the "B" teams as such.

Its always painfully obvious when one of the main teams made music for a System16 system as well, check out Quartet and SDI (both the only System16 games done by AM2) for a good example of the sound hardware pretty much pushed to its limits.

AM2 blatently had the best music team going, it isnt even a contest. That one team are responsible for After Burner, Enduro Racer, F1 Exhaust Note, F1 Super Lap, Galaxy Force 2, G-Loc, GP Rider, Hang On, Out Run, Outrunners, Power Drift, Quartet, Rad Mobile, Strike Fighter, Space Harrier, SDI, Super Hang On, Super Monaco GP, Thunder Blade and Turbo Out Run (not to mention all the 3D games, i.e. Daytona) has to tell you something, its a who's who of the best of the best...

Six...
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/13/04 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by exolon:
[QBCapcom: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (drool^3), Mercs, Punisher, SF2 (their later fighting games often seem to sound a bit too boppy and, for want of a better word, slutty)

Data East: Midnight Resistance, Sly Spy (although the Commodore 64 soundtrack for Sly Spy is better, possibly because it's less sleazy, somehow... also, this seems to be the same sound hardware (Hu6820) as used in the PC Engine?).
[/QB]
Using the words slutty and sleazy to describe the music has to be one of the more creative uses of the english language I have head, congratulations smile

I agree with you about SF2, I liked the Super Streetfighter 2 soundtrack best of the series (at least I think its that one, Kens tune is ace) and yeah, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is one of Capcoms better track, captain commando has a good title song (and theres a superb arranged version of it on the soundtrack)

Six...
Posted By: ElSemi Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/13/04 04:12 PM
I love Marvel vs Capcom tunes, especially Roll's theme smile
(also wakuwaku7 Arina's theme, or Kikaioh title,...you see what kind of songs I like smile )
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/13/04 07:41 PM
Don't forget the Stage 1 theme in Dadandarn then, or the Psycho Soldier theme smile
Posted By: Lillymon Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/13/04 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ElSemi:
I love Marvel vs Capcom tunes, especially Roll's theme smile
Hey, cool, you loved that too?
Posted By: Justin Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/14/04 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Braider:
<center><font face=nisesega, color=0000FF, size=7>SEGA</font>
forever!</center>

*bows in reverence*

Oh, ^that doesn't work. :annoyed: It's the thought that counts. Try it out (or see it) here . Why is it green even though I have the hex code for blue?
You need a # sign in front of the code otherwise IE will just pull a color out of its ass (Mozilla just ignores it altogether). Also don't put commas after the attributes. See here . Putting quotes around the color attribute is also necessary for valid HTML but it'll still work without them.
Posted By: exolon Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/14/04 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sixtoe:
Using the words slutty and sleazy to describe the music has to be one of the more creative uses of the english language I have head, congratulations smile
Well, in terms of the instrument sounds Data East tends to use... if you listen to the sound texture of Sly Spy or a game they released on the PC Engine - Silent Debuggers... it has that kinda back alley "hey baby..?" feel to it, if you know what I mean :p
Posted By: Sixtoe Re: The best arcade game music composers - 12/14/04 06:11 PM
Horribly enough, yes, I do...
© Forums