Home Page

OT - One more thing...

Posted By: patmcfar8

OT - One more thing... - 10/05/05 03:28 AM

And here we go again... One more thing...

So maybe they announced the iPod Nano to let it get all of the attention... and now they release the NEW iPod... or should I say vPod? wink

BTW, on the invite, the background looks eerily like the red velvet curtains found in movie theaters. wink
Posted By: voch

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/05/05 07:46 AM

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I want Apple to be a computer company again. I love my iPod Mini but won't replace it until it dies.

I'm hoping this is a HD-video PowerBook or something. I'm still looking for an excuse to upgrade from my TiBook 667/DVI. smile

Voch
Posted By: foxglove

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/05/05 11:05 AM

Or maybe its that tablet type device I've been reading rumors about for the longest time?

The iPods are really nice, but I hope the announcement is something non-iPod related. The new Apple mouse was a nice change even if it didn't impress me enough to go out to buy one.

I'd really love to see some major computer upgrades, but that's probably not going to happen until June 2006.
Posted By: Nathan Strum

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/05/05 01:15 PM

Remember the little pocket in his jeans that Steve pulled the iPod Nano out of?

There was so much demand for 'em, that Apple has merged with The Gap, and will be selling iPants.

They'll have regular iPants, U2 iPants (in black leather), and iPants Nano (for those who are into the whole "show off your butt-crack" fad).

What?

Hey, it's not any stupider than iPod Socks.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/05/05 01:17 PM

Here\'s proof!

The Gap's online store is currently "not working" for Safari users. Apple always closes its own online store when updating it for new products. See? iPants. Proof positive.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/05/05 10:32 PM

Ooh, this is fun! AppleInsider is weighing in with the Video iPod and updated Video iTunes Store (me likey) and ThinkSecret is firing back with upgraded PowerMacs and PowerBooks... wink

I'm OK with either quite honestly, as I could use both... but the invite does have a theater curtain in the background... I mean come on! wink
Posted By: Carbon

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/05/05 11:01 PM

Voch stated my own feelings perfectly, although, just for the record, I love my iPhoto Photo and now my iPod nano, too (yeah, got it today smile ).
Posted By: MAMEDave

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/05/05 11:03 PM

Look... Apple wouldn't say... "One more thing..." if it was a simple update to hardware. This is a new product boys and girls... and I personally suspect that it's an Apple style Tivo box to go with your Video iPod so that you have CONTENT for it. Job said that there wouldn't be a video iPod until there was CONTENT... so the apple iPod media store and Apple TiVo would probably be the best combination ever!

Just my 2 cents.

MAMEDave

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/06/05 12:23 AM

It's the Mac TV all over again. wink

I'm sticking with my predictions from August.

I think Pat's onto something with the movie curtains. Apple just doesn't throw random backgrounds into things.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/06/05 01:48 AM

Completely agree MAMEDave... it is about the content. And the sooner I can get all of my DVDs and Tivo recorded TV shows in my pocket, the happier I will be. wink
Posted By: Godozo

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/06/05 07:55 AM

How about the MacTablet. Their first product using Intel Chips allows you to input information on the screen. It has OCR capabilities, and no need for a keyboard. It even does wireless.

(One can dream...)

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/06/05 08:13 PM

Well ThinkSecret has stepped up it again with the more news pointing towards updated PowerBooks, PowerMacs... and iPods. That's all folks. Nothing to see here, please move along... wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/06/05 11:47 PM

Okay... once and for all... THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT THIS IS GOING TO BE JUST COMPUTER UPDATES... OR EVEN 'JUST' AN IPOD REVISION!

Apple goes to great lengths to be theatrical... and Jobs is a great showman. I'll eat an Atari 2600, videotape it and show you all, if there is NOT more than just updates.

THERE WILL BE A NEW PRODUCT! Pure and simple... They would NEVER... EVER... risk people looking at them as the company that cried wolf!... that incredible buz they create is simply too important...

I said the same exact thing when people were saying that the RoKR phone was going to be the only annoucement from the last event... but the promise of their invitation.. "We changed everything with 1000 songs in your pocket, now we're going to change everything again" SIMPLY COULDN'T BE JUST THE PHONE... and what they released in the phone wasn't such a big deal as it could have been... BUT THE NANO IS WORTHY OF THE HYPE! (and we didn't know the first thing about it...)

So.. I knew nothing of the nano... expected an upgraded shuffle instead... I knew nothing of the last G4 imac... the really nice screen on an arm version.. (which to this day is still the greatest imac design ever... and I STILL want one... hey, the screen turns!!! and moves up and down! look at that crappy G5 imac... it just isn't as cool as the G4! (comparitively... but the G5 imac still kicks ass when you don't compare it..)

So folks... there is NO CHANCE AT ALL WHATSOEVER that this event is to release updated powerbooks, powermacs, and ipods... Apple is going to shock and thrill us.... and we're all going to want to run out and get whatever potentially useless item it is... because the way they explain it will be impossible to resist. Hell... I want it already and don't know what it is...

and finally.... Jobs is KNOWN for shocking and shaking us with his trademark 'oh.. and one more thing' that is far more important than the whole event you just watched... he's not going to give up that wonderful anticipation for anything...

so... Expect something wonderful.. and hopefully we'll be able to play arcade games on it... Just think about a great video ipod with the scroll wheel.... a linyx distribution, a mame port... and TEMPEST!!!

(BTW, some inside information also comes in handy...)

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/06/05 11:59 PM

Hey... if anyone is interested, I've been doing a PodCast with a Director friend of mine... (I'm adding to this thread because I usually don't get on my soapbox on messageboards...)

But...

Go to itunes and search the podcasts for '2 Live Fools'...

If you like/love it, please tell everyone... if you hate/loath it... don't tell anyone...

If you don't have itunes, there is always:

www.2livefools.com

I think you'll enjoy it...

Best!

David

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 12:59 AM

Dave, you and I think quite alike... I'm just trying to offset my out-of-control excitement, with a little bit o' glass-half-empty. wink

And it's not like Jobs and Apple have "never" disappointed in the past... I just hope this ain't one of those times.

I have two questions...

1. "If" they just update the PBs, PMs and iPods... how bad will the media fall out be, after some reliable media outlets have already announced the vPod?

2. If it ain't a vPod... then what is it?

BTW, thanks for the link, I'll have to check out your Podcast one of these days.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MAMEDave:
(BTW, some inside information also comes in handy...)
Oh, and one more thing... care to expand on that little tidbit any? wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 04:44 AM

Whoa there, MAMEDave. You need to cut back a little on the caffeine. wink

No need for yelling. After all, this isn't about Star Wars. laugh

Quote:
I'll eat an Atari 2600, videotape it and show you all, if there is NOT more than just updates.
Now don't go all crazy on us. After all, that would be a waste of a perfectly good 2600.

An Intellivision, on the other hand... wink

Quote:
(which to this day is still the greatest imac design ever... and I STILL want one... hey, the screen turns!!! and moves up and down! look at that crappy G5 imac... it just isn't as cool as the G4! (comparatively... but the G5 imac still kicks ass when you don't compare it..)
Have to disagree there. I own a G5 iMac at home, and have the G4 one at work.

The G4's moveable arm is a "use it once and never again" feature. I've found no reason to have to adjust my G5 iMac, once I had tilted it to the right angle for me. The height it's at is fine, and if I really needed to move it around, I could simply buy a VESA mount for it.

The G4 design has real drawbacks, too. It takes up way more desk-space than even the 20" iMac G5. If the screen is set too low, you can't access the CD tray. Also, the CD tray doesn't clear the top of the keyboard. Plus the thing is heavy and awkward to move around (especially the 20" model). All of the ports are on the back of the base and much harder to access than the G5 iMac's (which should be on the side anyway, but they're still easier to get to). The G4 requires external speakers (no built-ins) to hear any audio at all. The G5 has hidden, built-in ones. (They don't sound great, but they're there.)

The G4 iMac just wasn't a very practical design. It looked interesting, but I think it was just an interim design that Apple used until they could get the current configuration working.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 05:25 AM

I agree about the iMac G5 > iMac G4. I too have an iMac G5 at home and a few iMac G4s at work. The G4, all though different and unique, is pretty impractical and already looks dated to me.

The G5 on the other hand... is the greatest computer I have ever owned! It's simple, it's elegant, it's functional... it's perfect. JMHO.

BTW, I listened to a bit of your podcast Dave... and I have to ask, tell me how you REALLY feel about the Simpson's Season 6 packaging? wink
Posted By: goldfish

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 05:40 AM

Part of the launch is (apparently) taking place at the BBC Centre in london, and there's some speculation it'll involve downloadable BBC TV content.

There's related links at http://benmetcalfe.com/blog/index.php/2005/10/03/review-of-the-bbc-imp-beta/ and http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/co...ndon-next-week/

Simon

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 08:07 AM

And don't think that this is just a coincidence.

Something's goin' on, and I think there will be a big announcement from Pixar and Disney soon, too. wink
Posted By: Bakasama

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 08:32 AM

Ah, something that anti-Eisner Disney fans have been waiting for, for a long time. To think he was one of the major forces that revitalized Disney back in the 80's.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 10:16 AM

Well, it was a combination of him and Skeletor. I mean... Katzenberg.

I wrote up some detailed thoughts on the whole thing in my blog. I'm pretty close to the animation industry, so this is something I've been waiting to see for a long time. How it actually turns out... well, that remains to be seen.

Somewhat off-topic, although it still has to do with movies, is another major battle that's going on.

There's a really good article at Businessweek about HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray .

A lot of what's in that article is going to affect any sort of video service that Apple is going to be able to provide.
Posted By: R. Belmont

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 10:37 AM

Go wilder! :pac: How about Disney buys Pixar outright and Jobs becomes CEO of Disney? And then Disney and Apple merge so they can compete with Sony in vertical content integration (as well as guaranteeing plenty of content for the vPod). And Steve Ballmer throws an entire table through the window. Ok, ok, I'll stop now.
Posted By: Vas Crabb

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 01:02 PM

Wildly off-topic, but I very briefly met Steve Ballmer once, and he didn't really strike me as the kind of guy who'd throw a chair at someone. Maybe they'd told him to put on his best behaviour while he was at IEEE.
Posted By: Richard Bannister

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 01:32 PM

I'm going to meet Steve Ballmer this morning, so I'll probably be better equipped to reply later on!

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 04:22 PM

Just keep your hands away from his face. That's a good way to lose a few fingers.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 04:26 PM

Not a bad speaker really. He got hit with some fairly decent questions (Google, Open Source, TCPA, ...) and fielded them with skill.

I have to say I enjoyed his talk a great deal more than that given here a while back by Richard Stallman.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/07/05 08:00 PM

Did someone delete my last post? Just curious as to why.

And about Ballmer... I've never been able to look at him the same way after seeing his dancing monkey videos... scary.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/08/05 04:46 AM

I haven't deleted anything recently. I don't recall seeing a post from you since the one about the iMacs.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/08/05 05:00 AM

Well, it was a bit late at night... and I am getting old... that's just weird. wink

Well to make a quick recap...

て「 Nathan I agree with your take on the Disney situation... I hope it goes down that way and Disney and Pixar work it out and take over the world together. Apple, I mean Pixar can always use the additional clout. wink

て「 Checked out your blog, and I must say that you are truly a very gifted and talented artist... I hope you find something to do with all of that skill, even if it isn't as a freelance artist (which I think you could make quite a living at and still keep your artistic soul wink )... or have you ever thought about teaching? Seems like a natural fit since you already seem entrenched in academia.

て「 I think that was it, but I might have had a few snide comments that I thought were pretty damn funny... but probably weren't. wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/08/05 05:19 AM

2 more cents for everyone...

What he HELL makes anyone believe that Apple is going to just update their machines....

they would have to have been sitting around NOT MAKING A DAMN THING for us to get nothing new....

WHAT THE HELL DID WE GET NEW THIS YEAR? Nothing much....

So of course we're about to get something meaty!

Dave

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/08/05 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by patmcfar8:
or have you ever thought about teaching? Seems like a natural fit since you already seem entrenched in academia.
I taught for a few years. The problem was that I was also the technician at the same time. As technology began to take over more areas of production, I got buried in work. (We went from three Macs when I started to over 50.) So I just didn't have enough time to do both, and decided to stop teaching. Sometimes I miss it, but being a technician is considerably less stressful.

As for freelance, it's usually not worth what you can earn from it. Taxes kill you, for one thing. Plus it takes a lot of pavement-pounding to find good gigs. Even then, you still have to deal with clients. Bleah. :dead:

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/08/05 06:42 AM

Ha! Name me one good career where you don't have to deal with clients and taxes! wink

Heck, I make a pretty good living as a graphic artist and I still have a nice freelance income on the side. I don't actively sell myself, but once I built up some clientele and got my work out there, the jobs tend to come in without much effort... and I must say that you are a far more talented artist than I am. smile OK, I'll stop now that I realize I sound like some ones mom... jeesh, how did that happen. Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, you all should check out some of Nathan's entries in the label contests over at Atari Age. It's some good stuff.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/08/05 06:45 AM

OK Dave, so I'm getting the idea that you think Apple is coming out with something worthy of all the "One More Thingび「" hype?

Care to share any guesses with us?

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/08/05 07:18 AM

The Mactels. Early :-)
Posted By: Stefano

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/08/05 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Strum:

The G4 iMac just wasn't a very practical design. It looked interesting, but I think it was just an interim design that Apple used until they could get the current configuration working
Absolutely right. Not to mention the poor 'ergonomy' inside. Have you ever try to expand the ram or add an airport card on the lamp iMac? Ask it to Will. On this side the G5 is simply amazing, even a child could do this operation. The only misbehave, on my iMac, regards the bluetooth. When you stop the machine the connection is lost and you have to switch off-switch on the mouse. This is quite strange, since the stop status leaves the cpu awake, freezin' the HD only. Have you the same problem?

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/08/05 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
The Mactels. Early :-)
That'd be pretty early. I wouldn't expect to see those even pre-announced until January at the earliest. (For a March release.) My faulty memory seems to recall that the chips Apple wants from Intel aren't due to ship until next year.

But, I think new iBooks may be in order. Someone I know at Apple (yes... a real person this time) mentioned during the Summer that the new iBook enclosures were "stunning". Although, he couldn't back it up with specifics (that whole "getting fired" thing). He expected them to be released when the last speed-bump happened, so the new design is well overdue.

Whether or not it has an Intel chip in it though... I don't think that'll happen until '06.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefano:
When you stop the machine the connection is lost and you have to switch off-switch on the mouse. This is quite strange, since the stop status leaves the cpu awake, freezin' the HD only. Have you the same problem?
I don't have a Bluetooth mouse, precisely for this reason. I've had it happen with G5 towers and iMacs. I don't think they've got all of the bugs out of their Bluetooth implementation yet.
Posted By: Carbon

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/09/05 03:20 PM

Quote:
Have you ever try to expand the ram or add an airport card on the lamp iMac?
I even changed the hard disc on my iLamp. I had to completely disassemble it (it is located on the top). I had to apply thermal paste (something I never had done before), and I had to do it twice, because I forgot the first time to reconnect the power supply to the optical drive. smile

Although disc space is once again running out (thanks in no unsignificant part to MacMAME smile ), I won't do it thrice...

As for the special event, I only expect slight updates to most of Apple's products. I don't think the new enclosure will debut until the processor change for maximum impact, but that won't happen before another 6 months at least.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/09/05 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon:
As for the special event, I only expect slight updates to most of Apple's products.
Careful... lest you incur the wrath of MAMEDave! wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/09/05 11:48 PM

Anyone want to take bets? I'll put $10 to any takers who believe that we're ONLY going to get updates to current machines... What I'm talking about is there will need to be a NEW PRODUCT such as the video ipod, or a much larger screen, or a NEW model of computer... If they enhance only hardware with faster processors, more memory, faster DVD drives... you win... NEW PRODUCTS... I win...

Any takers?

MAMEDave

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/10/05 01:51 AM

What if they announce both? wink

Actually, I agree with you. I think it's likely to be something new. But I don't discount the upgrade possibility either.

At this point though, I'm thinking the video iPod may be a long-shot. The key to the iPod's success has been the ability to rip your own music to it. That's going to be a big hurdle with video. A lot of studios would be up in arms about Apple providing DVD ripping software. Sure, Apple might be able to get permission from some studios to sell downloadable versions of some films, but I don't think it would be enough of them to be compelling. Studios are just too twitchy about piracy for that. Plus, the whole logistical problem of having users reliably downloading gigabytes of content is a big hurdle.

If the video iPod is coming, I suspect the video aspect of it will be downplayed (so to speak), and be more of a "put your iMovies on your iPod" feature.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/10/05 09:39 PM

So it's sounding like revised HD iPods and updated PBs and PMs.

Sounds reasonable to me... but it doesn't explain the "One more Thingび「" invite does it? wink

And I'd have to agree that it might be a bit premature for a fluid vPod/iMedia Store experience. Of course then again many of us thought that same thing when Jobs worked a deal with the recording studios and announced the iTunes Music Store as well...

Only two more days to go.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/10/05 11:58 PM

<RANT>
I just find it strange that Apple might release a computer in the coming days is news.
</RANT>

Sigh.

Voch
(misses the Apple Computer company)

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 12:57 AM

I understand the feeling, but if Apple had remained only a computer company Steve Jobs would only be the CEO of Pixar now.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 01:30 AM

Quote:
I understand the feeling, but if Apple had remained only a computer company Steve Jobs would only be the CEO of Pixar now.
I just want to get excited about Apple's computers again...like when I bought my TiBook, um, almost three years ago. I am a happy iPod mini owner so it's not like I hate the other stuff...

Voch
Posted By: mahuti

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 02:30 AM

I bought my 2.0 ghz about 2 years ago... the day it was announced. I have friends still holding out for something better, only to find out that the progress would be incrimental.

I'm anxious to see the new mactel machines. I'd be even more excited if they could run exe along app.

Of course.. then I'd have a bunch of craptastic windows software on my mac. smirk
Posted By: DaveD

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 04:41 AM

Quote:
... but it doesn't explain the "One more Thingび「" invite does it? wink
Actually they're going to announce the addition of Peter Falk to Apple's board of directors. wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 04:56 AM

Quote:
I'm not following you. Are you saying Apple would have gone under, or Steve Jobs would have left Apple?

If the latter - Steve won't leave Apple again. He'll ride it to the very end. It's his baby, much more than Pixar is, and I don't see him ever giving up control of it.

If the former - Apple would still be around without the iPod. But they certainly wouldn't be as well-off as they are now. I suspect the Apple stores wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful as they are either (and many would have closed), nor would Apple have that all-important "cool" factor the iPod has brought (which no amount of money can buy).

They'd be where they were prior to the iPod. A usually profitable computer company, with an installed user base of some 10 million people. And I think we'd probably have the exact same computers as we do now.

The iPod has been added to Apple's priorities, but I don't think it has really shifted their focus away from computers any. They still make and sell computers, and I don't think we're getting any less of them than we were before. The updates may be coming a little less frequently, but that's due to a lack of faster/cooler processors more than anything else. Not the iPod. Apple's not going to pull resources away from developing new computers, they'll just add more resources as they need them.

If Apple could release new computers, they would. Maybe Wednesday, they will.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 05:40 AM

I thought they set up a separate iPod division... which means that there still is just a computer division right? I can't imagine that they've just been sitting around playing with their shiny iPod Nanos. wink

I think we're all waiting in anticipation of the next generation of Intel Insideび「 Power Macs. And to a lesser degree, the next/last/interim IBM G5's.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 06:05 AM

The latter - he's obviously never leaving again.

My point was that Apple was in relatively bad shape again (if not to mid-90s levels) once the iMac stopped selling. The iPod came along just in time to really give the bottom line a kick, and it's also both expanded the Mac userbase *and* allowed Apple to sell stuff outside of that base. I went from 0 to 3 Apple products in like 18 months (first an iPod, then the Mini, and now a nano), and I know I'm not alone.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 06:08 AM

Well, Bob Cringely still thinks it's got something to do with video.

He wrote at the end of this week\'s column:

Quote:
Finally a word about Apple's big announcement next week. I'm told that if you try to access a page on the Apple web site that doesn't exist, something like http://www.apple.com/cringely you get a "page not found" redirect. But if you try http://www.apple.com/movies you get a "forbidden" message.
Funny... I thought the site that doesn't exist used to be something entirely different. wink

He also predicted the launch of an iVideo service back in July:

Quote:
If iVideo is the correct name, it implies that the new application will become part of Apple's iLife suite along with iMove, iTunes and other applications. This makes good sense even for Intel. Why? Because at this point it is more important to Intel for iVideo to be a success than it is for iVideo to use lots of Intel chips. The population of broadband-equipped OS X computers in the U.S. is around 10 million, and that's a good number for launching a new service and avoiding problems should it be literally TOO popular. The point is to make iVideo a hit, first with Mac users and with impatent Windows users who'll go out and buy a Mac Mini just to be able to run the app (that's the old model for upgrading, right?). Mac Minis quietly appeared last weekend at Best Buy and Target, for sale alongside the iPods. This is in preparation for the iVideo launch, which will presumably come in September or October, certainly before the xBox November launch
So we'll see in a couple of days.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 07:24 AM

Apple+Intel=Entertainment.... You should all go listen to that podcast we did a little while ago... (4th) www.2livefools.com or on itunes "2 Live Fools"... there's another angle to this intel/video combination with Apple.... I think Apple went intel to project motion pictures for online distribution.

Have a listen... you might find it interesting...

Dave
Posted By: Godozo

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 07:42 AM

MacTablet. a MacTel MacTablet.

Sure, it will sink like the MacCube, but it's big enough to garner attention. And who knows -- Apple always seems to do something right, even when they mess up big time (remember Newton?)
Posted By: vitaflo

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/11/05 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Finally a word about Apple's big announcement next week. I'm told that if you try to access a page on the Apple web site that doesn't exist, something like http://www.apple.com/cringely you get a "page not found" redirect. But if you try http://www.apple.com/movies you get a "forbidden" message.
Funny... I thought the site that doesn't exist used to be something entirely different. wink
LOL. Actually that apple.com/movies link with the "forbidden" message has been around for a long time. I remember seeing that link months ago.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 12:34 AM

Here is one of the better rumor recaps that I've seen. They even put the Video iPod at 80%. smile

And of course, if you're a betting man... :rolleyes:

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 01:04 AM

Actually, this has all been a huge misunderstanding.

There was a typo on the invite which should have read, "One less thing..."

Apple is ditching the computer biz once and for all. Bill Gates is going to show up, announce they finally gave up trying to get Longhorn to work, and just decided to buy OS X for Intel instead, and ship that in its place. Steve Jobs will just be off to the side, sitting on a giant pile of money, giggling like a school girl.

Apple will stick to making iPods, and will introduce: video iPods, digital camera iPods, video camera iPods, cell phone iPods, video-game iPods, PDA iPods, blackberry iPods and oddly enough, a martini-shaker iPod. I guess there's actually a market for that.

Sadly, all of them will remain separate iPods, and in the frenzy Apple will accidentally discontinue music iPods, instantly dooming themselves to a 0% market share. However, due to the money they get from selling OS X to Microsoft, they'll still manage to remain profitable.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 05:33 AM

Can you say... flip flop? wink
Posted By: jonceramame

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 07:39 AM

If you're running out of HD space...

External Firewire harddrive enclosure - $35.
(http://dealnews.com/categories/Computer/Storage/Drive-Enclosures/368.html)
300GB harddrive - $100
(http://dealnews.com/categories/Computer/Storage/Hard-Drives/56.html)
Not having to break open that damn case again - priceless

All I want from Steven Jobs is Mactel without a ROM requirement. Freakin' Linspire computers are out there for $150 and $200 bucks. I'd buy one of them and slap a fully legal copy of Tiger on them in a SECOND. No hesitation. Hell, Dell's selling low-end PC's with winblows for $300 bucks now.

Jon

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 08:44 AM

Ain't gonna happen. Jobs is too much of a control freak to allow OS X to just run on any Intel box. They've stated that much repeatedly. Also, Apple will never be able to compete with low-end, dirt-cheap PCs on price. They could never sell enough to justify the lower profit margins that would be required. Of course, there will hacks that allow OS X to run on PCs, but they'll probably continuously patch the OS to try and prevent it.

On another note, I listened to Apple's conference call this afternoon, and I have come to the conclusion that all financial analysts are idiots. Regardless of how many times Apple clearly stated that they don't discuss future products, or wouldn't break down revenue by specific product lines, or discuss specific component constraints, these idiots just kept asking those same stupid questions over and over again. The patience of Apple's financial execs is remarkable. If it were me, I'd just keep yelling at them, "We TOLD you - we aren't going to answer those kind of questions! What are you - some kind of a MORON? Get off the phone and let someone with a brain ask a question!"

Listening is apparently a dead art form.
Posted By: Isaac

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 10:26 AM

Just to throw my 2c out there before tomorrow, I think a video iPod is good bet. If anything, it would be possible to play the movie on the small LCD screen when you're on the go. When you got home, you could hook it up to a dock like the iPod Photo dock with the RCA output and hook it up to a screen to watch on your tv. I may be reaching, but this is how I guess it would be implemented.
Posted By: shortstop

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 12:50 PM

Quote:
Ain't gonna happen. Jobs is too much of a control freak to allow OS X to just run on any Intel box. They've stated that much repeatedly. Also, Apple will never be able to compete with low-end, dirt-cheap PCs on price. They could never sell enough to justify the lower profit margins that would be required.
Plus Steve already tried this at Next and it didn't work. (How I turned a million dollars in real estate into $25 in cash).

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 01:10 PM

If they make a video ipod... I just want them to tell me that my Tivo will finally work with a mac.

"Tivo to go... onto a crappy pc" is what they should have called their service.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 06:00 PM

I think it's very interesting that the night before the supposed release of the video ipod...there is a release of a great new product from Dish Network... the Pocket Dish! www.pocketdish.com.

This is partially what I expected from the video ipod... something that would allow us to get our time shifted shows onto a video player to allow us to take them with us. Good news for US Dish Network fans!

-------------------------

EchoStar Communications Corp. on Tuesday unveiled PocketDISH, a new line of portable media companions designed to work hand-in-hand with the companyてs DISH Network satellite TV service. Three devices have been introduced, with prices ranging from US$329 to $599, and theyてre all Mac and PC-compatible.

The PocketDISH features a 2.2-inch, 4-inch or 7-inch screen, and can store from 20 to 40GB worth of content. In addition to working with select DISH Network digital video recorders (DVRs) equipped with USB 2.0 connections, they can also download and record content from Macs, PCs, digital cameras, mass storage devices and other equipment. It takes about five minutes to transfer an hour of DISH Network programming to a PocketDISH, according to the company.

Each PocketDISH comes equipped with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that lasts for up to four hours of video and 12 hours of music playback. Stereo headphones, USB cable, adapter cable, A/V cables, an AC/DC power adapter and a carrying case are also included.

The 2.2-inch PocketDISH uses a 4:3 aspect ratio screen, while the 4- and 7-inch models have 16:9 displays. EchoStar estimates than one hour of DISH Network programming takes up approximately 1GB of PocketDISH hard disk space. The mid-range and high-end models can also record video from other sources. The 2.2-inch system is capable of recording audio from other sources only, though all of them can also be used to store digital photos, MP3, WMA and WAV audio files.

---------------------

WHERE'S MY VIDEO IPOD!?!?

lol... I'll always have my pocket dish!

Dave

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 09:52 PM

ThinkSecret weighs in... again.

So it sounds like it will be an iPod... that can play video content. But not the evolutionary next step that some expected.

Well at least it looks like we'll eventually get where the vPod/iTunes Music Store is for a vPod/iVideo Store... just not as soon as some of us had hoped.

The next year will be very interesting indeed... to see which big company (Apple/MS/Sony/Some Unknown Hollywood Conglomerate) will get to the inevitable conclusion of on-line downloadable content and playback device first.

C'mon Apple.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 09:55 PM

MAMEDave... that is pretty cool. Good for Dish. Are those available now and for how much? I wonder how long before DirecTV follows suit?

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 10:54 PM

Well... I guess this could be considered a widescreen. wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 11:30 PM

New freakin' iMac with built in iSight and some programs called, "Photobooth & FrontRow"

And something about a remote control?

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 11:33 PM

Oh, FrontRow IS the remote control... for all of your media! That's crazy!

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 11:37 PM

The new iPod has 2.5" tariff display, 16:9, 320 x 240 pixels, supports MPEG 4, H.264...

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 11:39 PM

30 GB/$299. 60 GB/ $399. Available next week. In white and black.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 11:47 PM

iTunes 6 now with videos. $1.99 per and a few Pixar shorts. Same DRM as music.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 11:56 PM

AND ONE MORE THING...
You'll be able to buy TV shows from the iTunes Music Store!!!

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/12/05 11:59 PM

Looks like BBC, ABC and Disney all ready signed on!

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 12:00 AM

$1.99 per episode.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 12:02 AM

Only 320x240 though. frown

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 12:11 AM

So... to recap, I can now buy music videos and some TV shows on iTunes 6 to watch them on my new video iPod, connect them to my TV or watch them on my new iMac as I take pictures of myself using my new remote control?

Not too shabby I suppose... if you think of it as taking it one step at a time. I like where this is going...

Of course it's just a matter of time before the haters start denouncing this. "OMG! 320x240 is tiny! That quality sucks, I need HD!", "This is worthless for me, I;m just gonna keep using Bitorrent! Apple will fail!"

Sound familiar? wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 12:16 AM

apple.com is now updated.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 12:18 AM

http://www.apple.com/imac/frontrow.html

Standalone PVR coming soon? They've got the interface.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 12:50 AM

Correction. You can buy TV shows on iTunes 6 if and only if you're in the USA.

Once again Apple shafts everyone else with its new upgrade. I guess we'll get it in two or three years - at a higher price.
Posted By: Isaac

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:

Once again Apple shafts everyone else with its new upgrade. I guess we'll get it in two or three years - at a higher price.
Well, that's not entirely Apple's fault. Some networks premiere the tv shows overseas AFTER they have been shown here. Blame the networks on that one. But I could be wrong, and they are just debating the whole price thing like they did with the music.
Posted By: Mac2112

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 01:10 AM

Quote:

Well the Pixar shorts are ャ」1.89 on the UK iTunes store so yes humped again.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 01:31 AM

Told ya\' there was going to be some sort of Disney connection with this.

I can't say any of the announcements are a real surprise. Nothing terribly exciting or "must have". And why would I buy TV shows... when I already pay for them on cable?

Maybe after I watch Steve doing his pitch on Quicktime some RDF will kick in, but I was really hoping for something a bit more substantial. Like dual-core G5 towers.

Quote:
Okay... once and for all... THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT THIS IS GOING TO BE JUST COMPUTER UPDATES... OR EVEN 'JUST' AN IPOD REVISION!

Apple goes to great lengths to be theatrical... and Jobs is a great showman. I'll eat an Atari 2600, videotape it and show you all, if there is NOT more than just updates.
And now we can watch it on our iPods!

You know... I have an extra 2600 sitting around someplace... wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 01:39 AM

Again, this is just the first step... give it a few months and wait and see where this goes. Hell, in a year I'd like to see how integrated Apple has managed to become in my living room. wink

And Nathan, I'd imagine that they'll quietly update the PMs and PBs in a week or two. They can't have the iMac be the only computer in the line up with PCIe, a bundled Mighty Mouse and a small speed bump, now can they? wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 02:14 AM

FrontRow is cool, but the wrong form factor. Put that in a Mini (or even something a bit larger but more audio-component looking) and it's a big winner.

I like the vPod - if they can get more networks on board I think it's gonna pretty much seal the doom of non-Apple portable media players.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 03:34 AM

Quote:
Well the Pixar shorts are ャ」1.89 on the UK iTunes store so yes humped again. [/QB]
どィ2.49 on the Irish store, otherwise known as $2.99. Nice work Apple. No purchases here.
Posted By: John Hood

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 03:53 AM

I want to be in the Front Row this holiday season! wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 03:59 AM

I'll be in the back *yaaaahhwnn.*

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 04:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well the Pixar shorts are ャ」1.89 on the UK iTunes store so yes humped again.
どィ2.49 on the Irish store, otherwise known as $2.99. Nice work Apple. No purchases here. [/QB]
I'm curious, how much are the Pixar Shorts DVDs over there?

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 04:29 AM

Quote:
iTunes 6 now with videos. $1.99 per and a few Pixar shorts. Same DRM as music.
I could have sworn some of the movies available there now were free downloads just a few months ago from the Pixar site and elsewhere.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 05:08 AM

Quote:
I'm curious, how much are the Pixar Shorts DVDs over there? [/QB]
No idea.

It's not relevant anyway IMHO. Apple is selling a digital download. Intellectual property only, no media, nothing permanent.

There is absolutely no valid reason the before tax price shouldn't be identical worldwide.
Posted By: shortstop

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 07:10 AM

Quote:
There is absolutely no valid reason the before tax price shouldn't be identical worldwide.
Sure there is. Their costs could be higher.

Overhead of the music store - cost per sale may be higher than US
Bandwidth costs are higher?
Hosting costs are higher?
Fees they have to pay that they don't pay to sell in the US? (extra pre-sale taxes? tariffs? export fees?)
Maybe the owner of the UK rights to the items want a cut too or a bigger cut

I seriously doubt that Apple sticks it to UK customers just to gouge them because they can. Minus any facts, why do you suspect the worst of Apple here?

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 08:05 AM

Uhhh... Nathan... A video ipod is not JUST an iPod revision... The funny part about this is I described this item in detail on my Apple+Intel=Entertainment... and also explained why there is no movies on the Video iPod right now....

So the Atari 2600 survives to die another day... me too! Whew...

I still feel though that $1.99 is 50% too high for video locked to 320x240. $.99 would have been perfect.... And is what I expected.

I also predicted television episodes for $.99... now when you miss an episode you can catch up fairly cheap.

The problem... is that they REALLY need to allow you... like music... to export your video to iDVD! So you can archive your purchases on DVD for viewing elsewhere...

You see... I simply see the 320x240 format as acceptable for waiting for the boxed DVD set that will come later.. So a 24 episode series would cost $24 online til you buy the boxed set for $30-50... Iてm okay losing $24 til the boxed set... but $48??? No.. I just canてt justify that.

But.... Hummm... this is clearly a television box with a aspect ratio of 4:3 (NTSC Television...) not 16x9 like the PSP.... But again... in that podcast I explained why Apple wouldnてt get into movies until they have Intel on their boards... ALSO... since that isnてt going to happen until next year... so next year they can release MY dream ipod.... (I think Iてm going to write up what I really want... and post it... Iてll let you guys know...)

MAMEDave

Hey!?! Whereてs my $10 from everyone!

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 08:11 AM

P.S. Any guesses what my next podcast will be about?

2 Live Fools

Located at Appleてs itunes in Various sections including arts & entertainment...

www.2livefools.com

(Look... Iてve been doing this thing for about eight months now... and havenてt marketed it...! Lol.... So listen... enjoy... and tell your friends if you like it! (if you donてt, donてt tell anyone but me... lol!)

MAMEDave

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 08:22 AM

Quote:
Uhhh... Nathan... A video ipod is not JUST an iPod revision...

So the Atari 2600 survives to die another day... me too! Whew...
Funny... I don't see a "video iPod" mentioned anywhere. Just an iPod revision... that can play videos. wink

Well, we'll let it slide this time. Besides, I'd rather see you try and eat a Vectrex. laugh
Posted By: jonceramame

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 08:51 AM

Is it just me, or are today's announcements just snoozers?

DirectTV with Tivo and Netflix on my TV... Boom. I'm already done. Give me netflix streaming someday, maybe that would be nice. Plus, might buy an old ILO DVD recorder on eBay and hack off the macrovision and the region 1 limits. What else do I need?

Who the hell is going to watch stuff on their iPods or even use their iPods for playing stuff on TV? PSP's sell because they're game players which just happen to have video. I say this because of the big failure of portable TV's. Only big market I've seen for portable video is for kids in cars.

And the new iMac with a remote control? Zzzzz... Just seems like kind of an interesting interface, but I want DVR and games in that interface. Not polaroid pictures. I want the Apple version of the MythTV/Freevo boxes in the mini-MOBO cases.

Jon

p.s. I _know_ Jobs won't release a ROM-less x86 MacOS. I've been a loyal follower for too dang long to think it would actually happen. But it's the only thing I want out of Apple. I loved the hell out of my Umax c600 - upgrades, extra ports, and no compatibility problems. My ibook 900? Argh. Latest gripe is I'm sick of the flat, hard edges. All of my coworkers Windows laptops are rounded or padded and don't cut off your circulation on your wrists. Maybe he'll let Dell or HP clone them so we can get decent hardware at least? *grumble* I remember being an addict to AAPL in 1999-2000 when the iMacs came out. Then going to CompUSA with everyone and spent 2 hours showing people how to reboot them when they froze... At least MacOSX is stable, but the hardware designs seem to be getting worse.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shortstop:
Minus any facts, why do you suspect the worst of Apple here?
In the absence of any official explanation I don't see that I have a choice, especially given that because Apple has always been between 10 and 20% more expensive in this country relative to US prices for the complete range of products.

My current desktop was built about two hundred miles from where I'm sitting, yet I paid more for it (before tax) than an equivalent model purchased in the United States. There's something wrong there. My 30" display cost about 20% more before tax than the US price. Again, why?

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 05:38 PM

Just wondering - is that different for other electronics manufacturers? Dell? Sony? Are they also more expensive relative to U.S. prices?

On another note (Ha! Get it? Oh wait... I haven't gotten to that part yet...), I finally watched the "event". And basically, was pretty nonplussed by it for the most part. Yeah, they're nice updates, but at this point, that's really about it. However, it's pretty obvious Apple's going to dip its toes a bit deeper into the whole "home entertainment appliance" pool at some point. But for right now, they're just testing the waters.

I don't think the 320x240 resolution is too bad. It's actually slightly better than VHS, and with much better color saturation and clarity. Unfortunately, they're not really competing with VHS. They're competing with Tivo, DVDs and satellite TVs. But at a higher rez, the downloading time would just kill it from a practicality standpoint, so I see why they did it. Plus the iPod would have to be able to scale down video on the fly, which may be too much for it to handle.

The real problem is still content. Why buy what I can watch on TV? Why ever buy music videos when I could watch them on MTV? Oh wait... they don't do music videos anymore. And... neither does VH1. Well anyway... I think they should've made it so if you had already bought a song, the video only cost another 99 cents, and if you buy the song as part of the video, you could at least burn the audio part to a CD. Music videos are basically tools to sell songs. Does anyone actually watch them over and over?

Which brings me to the whole note thing... (Get it? Whole note? Ha! I kill me!) The best part of the event was having Wynton Marsalis come out and play a 15 minute set. Now, that kind of content is something I'd pay $1.99 for. Live performances, unavailable on albums. Apple should go around and tape every concert they can, and sell videos of those. Give us something unique for the money.

And finally... I have a whole new level of admiration for Steve, because he made himself look like a complete dork using their Photo Booth app, yet he still managed to be cool while doing it.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 07:59 PM

Richard~ I feel your pain... but aren't most import items more expensive than their domestic counterparts? And wouldn't it be the content providers that set the price, rather than Apple when it comes to import pricing? I truly don't know, I'm just asking.

And I took some time last night to play around with iTunes 6... They did a good job organizing videos and the TV Shows/Pixar Shorts pages look nice. I was kind of hoping you could download Movie Trailers directly into your iTunes library, but it didn't seem to work for me. Bummer. Anyway, I had a blast watching some old videos I hadn't seen in a while. And I had never seen Boundin' so I tried that. The experience was quite simple, and rather quick for the content... but, I guess you can label me a hater because, IMHO 320x240 is just too small.

I agree with Nathan's reasoning on it, and would add that it probably will help convince the content owners that it won't cannibalize any of their other medium sales by offering it at such a low quality, but on my 20" iMac, it was just too pixelated.

What do you think the chances are that they up the rez in the future? wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 08:58 PM

Quote:
at a higher price.
There's an article on CNN that is somewhat relevant to your predicment.
Posted By: Marc Mame

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/13/05 11:52 PM

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/14/05 12:07 AM

Here's a pretty good take from ExtremeTech .

It just reiterates the fact that this is not really a Video iPod... it's really just the next iPod that happens to play some video.

Baby steps people, baby steps. wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/14/05 12:37 AM

320x240 probably looks a lot better on the actual iPod than you're giving it credit for. The PSP's 480x272 looks awful blown up on a computer also, but on the real device it looks nearly hi-def.
Posted By: Vas Crabb

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/14/05 04:33 AM

Remember VCDs, which are still very popular in Asia and reasonably popular in Australia, use 320x240 MPEG1 at the same bit rate as an audio CD. Apple's downloadable videos could well compare favourably to VCD quality.

But I don't know about price. Down the street I can buy a VCD album of music videos (one disc) for A$10, a Hollywood movie (two discs) for A$14, or a porno for A$10 (one disc).

Also, VCDs are DRM-free, can be viewed on any computer or DVD player, are quite a bit more scratch-resistant than DVDs, and very easy to duplicate (just don't use Toast).

On the subject of differential pricing in different regions, it depends on the company. Apple kit is more expensive in Australia than the US, but HP kit is often cheaper.

Apple kit seems to be more expensive because Apple thinks the US is the centre of the universe, and everyone else should pay more because they're less than human (kind of like the US military...).

HP kit is cheaper because it's mostly made in China, anyway, and Australia is better placed (politically and economically) for importing goods from China than the US.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/14/05 08:55 PM

So I bought my first music video. I was disappointed to see that there's no way to integrate the music videos with the iTunes visualizer. So there's no way for me (or anyone without a video iPod) to watch the videos other than in the album artwork box or in a floating box above the iTunes interface. Big deal. I'd much rather turn on the Visualizer, shuffle my library, and when video came up it would automatically play either in place of the visualizer or over it.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/15/05 04:08 AM

That's too bad - that would've been a really good feature.

So, what video was it? Wang Chung? Simply Red? wink

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/15/05 10:38 PM

Quote:
That's too bad - that would've been a really good feature.
I did some more playing around in iTunes and it doesn't seem there's any way to view the videos full-screen. The only way to do that is to open them up in Quicktime Player. And even though the videos are low-res they actually look pretty good full-screen.

Speaking of full-screen, Quicktime Player always used to automatically switch your monitor resolution to accommodate what you were playing which kept things from looking overly pixelated. Now Quicktime Player just seems to scale the content to match your present settings. Although it still doesn't look too bad, almost as if there's some sort of blurring or anti-aliasing that's happening to compensate for the lower res. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote:

So, what video was it? Wang Chung? Simply Red? wink
No but I was sort of hoping they'd offer "Video Killed the Radio Star," just for oldtimes sake. wink

I settled for Megadeth's "Anarchy in the UK."

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/16/05 06:15 AM

Hi Gang... my new podcast all about the new iPod and televsion shows (that I predicted on an earlier podcast...) is now up and ready to enjoy....

Again... you can find it in Appleてs Podcast directory... or at

www.2livefools.com

I think youてll enjoy it!

BTW, did anyone notice that the U2 ipod is now gone? Also, we now have the shortest lived iPod ever??! The Special Edition Harry Potter color 20 GB ipod. Itてs now a video enabled 30 gig.

Collectorてs item? I doubt it.

Now... I still want Tempest on my ipod!

MAMEDave

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/16/05 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveD:
Now Quicktime Player just seems to scale the content to match your present settings. Although it still doesn't look too bad, almost as if there's some sort of blurring or anti-aliasing that's happening to compensate for the lower res. Can anyone confirm this?
Yep. I've seen it in some MAME movies I captured (1x1 software rendering). It doesn't just double the pixels anymore. I'm guessing it's using Quartz something-or-other to do that. That seems to be how it scales stuff down in Preview, too (although oddly enough, it doesn't scale up that way).

I would guess the "Front Row" thingy would show videos full-screen. But that requires a whole new iMac. The rest of us poor chumps are excluded.

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveD:
I settled for Megadeth's "Anarchy in the UK."
I'm sure Richard would appreciate that. wink
Posted By: smf

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/16/05 02:41 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]My current desktop was built about two hundred miles from where I'm sitting, yet I paid more for it (before tax) than an equivalent model purchased in the United States. There's something wrong there.
Yes, you're being paid too much. If you ( and all your other country men ) were paid less then apple would charge you less.

Yeah it sucks, but it happens in all markets.

Cars, clothes etc.

smf
Posted By: Arnoud

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/16/05 09:03 PM

Quote:
I did some more playing around in iTunes and it doesn't seem there's any way to view the videos full-screen. The only way to do that is to open them up in Quicktime Player. And even though the videos are low-res they actually look pretty good full-screen.
Try this:

iTunes -> Preferences -> Playback -> Play videos: full screen

Viewing the video on my 23" LCD, 'pretty good' is a bit too much credit... 'acceptable' is more like it.

Re: OT - One more thing... - 10/17/05 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnoud:
[QUOTE]iTunes -> Preferences -> Playback -> Play videos: full screen
D'oh! Preferences, eh? Who'dve guessed it? wink

Still, it'd be better if it were integrated into the visualizer.
© 2020 Forums