Home Page
Posted By: jonceramame OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/20/05 10:19 AM
Hi Guys and gals,

I'm considering buying an MP3 player, and ended up coming across the rockbox project for old Archos and iRiver players. Those include games, and even a GB emulator that works at 90% speed.

Boom, the lights went on, and then I saw the GMini's from Archos which play Morphun games. And I started wondering what else is out there. My Google searchs haven't been able to narrow out anything.

Dang, now I'm wondering - can I get MAME on a handheld portable (like MAMED on Kodak digital cameras - http://digita.mame.net/)? Maybe even a PSP? I mainly want an MP3 player with a bigass HD, but the prospect of being able to play games on it is teasing me.

Anyone have recommendations? Maybe even a PalmOS device which plays MP3's?

Jon
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/20/05 11:07 AM
Just get an iPod and be done with it - everything else sucks for mp3s, and nothing portable is good for MAME. The PSP is way underpowered, and Palms and PocketPCs are either underpowered or have crappy controls that are unsuitable for games.
Posted By: Nathan Strum Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/20/05 12:09 PM
If you want to play classics on portable systems, there are quite a few compilations out there already. But be fair warned - a lot of them are really terrible. Try before you buy.
Posted By: MAMEDave Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/20/05 01:21 PM
I play mame on my PSP... it works... no way to store 5000+ Games, but it works... And you can buy commerical games...
Posted By: jonceramame Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/20/05 10:37 PM
Yeah, I keep telling myself I should get a 4th gen iPod (my G3 iBook only has firewire/USB1.1), but I'm really intrigued by the Archos AV300 series because it's a fully functional DVR and it does Firewire with the special cable and camcorder with the special camera. There's 2 sourceforge projects out there for alternate OS's on it (one's Linux), but they both seem to have stalled.

But, the size on them is pretty big (2.5" HD and 3" screen.) I just want a tiny pocket device.

Maybe I'll cheap out and just get an SD expandable Sansa for $40 on the Black Friday sales.
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/20/05 10:57 PM
MAMEDave: you can't play commercial games *and* MAME on the same PSP, and anything newer than about 1985 is going to be a lost cause for speed. And it really irritates both MAMEdev and Sony.
Posted By: Carbon Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/20/05 11:16 PM
R. Belmont: irritating Sony doesn't bother me a nanosecond since they got money from me.

I wouldn't want to irritate MAMEdev, though!

Not being able to play anything newer than about 1985 doesn't bother me either, since I just want to play some Galaga or Space Duel (or similar, I'm old game) on my PSP (which I love, by the way).

Now I only have to decide if I will buy SW Battlefront II for the Mac, the GameCube, the PS 2 or the PSP. I really can't justify buying it for every system I have.

Why can't you buy a personal license to play it on any device?
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/21/05 01:43 AM
Because each port costs money - games are not magically created out of whole cloth that just plain run on everything. Ask Brad smile
Posted By: Thargok Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/21/05 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
Because each port costs money - games are not magically created out of whole cloth that just plain run on everything. Ask Brad smile
With a good pair of standards it is ideologically possible. But not probable.
Posted By: MAMEDave Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/21/05 03:13 AM
R. Belmont: Who cares about Sony? And you can play commercial games *and* MAME on the same PSP.... (At least now that we can get back to the 1.5 firmware from the 2.0 version...) How else can I play battlefront 2 and MAME...
Posted By: Carbon Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/21/05 03:47 AM
I know, my question was rhetoric smile
Posted By: NeoWolf Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/21/05 04:55 AM
PalmMAME exists, it's compatibility naturally isn't that high but it's out there. The GP2X also recently emerged and it's supposed to have a MAME port but I'm unaware of the quality.

http://www.pocketdimension.com/PalmMAME.html
http://www.gbax.com/indexgp2x.html
Posted By: jonceramame Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/23/05 09:29 AM
Thanks NeoWolf. gp2x was the system I kept trying to think about, but couldn't quite remember. The various PalmMAME sites seem to indicate that it's playable for 1985 and earlier-ish games. Controls seem nasty for everything but simply 2-way and 4-way games.

They have the following page on the wiki regarding the various possible emu's for it based on hardware and LinuxOS. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Emulation Plus, it appears that there is ALREADY a workable SNES emulator for it. But, it's a Korean guy (respected) so no binaries I could find yet.

It's only shipped for a few weeks in limited quantities.

I figure it's about 6-9 months away from seeing if it's going to be a flash in the pan, or just instant obsolete-ware. I'm guessing it will have one of those great underground hardcore followings, but will ultimately be an overpriced eBay trinket traded from geek to geek.

But, it's too big to be a portable MP3 player for me.

Since I'm cheap, to close my own thread, I'm planning, I believe on an Archos mp3-only Jukebox Recorder 20GB (not FM version) to upgrade to Rockbox firmware (~$90 on ebay). Or, the Archos AV320 (macrovisionless recording of video. - $150+ on ebay)

Jon
Posted By: NeoWolf Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 11/24/05 12:01 PM
Palm MAME's controls aren't so bad if you happen to have a Zodiac. The problem is Tapwave's gone so official support is too. The community itself is still around and you can get the console for disturbingly cheap on eBay now. As for the GP2X, I expect is to continue in the GP32's successful footsteps of being a geek treasure trove, but never main stream.
Posted By: SpiceWare Re: OT - Handheld MAME options? - 12/12/05 08:10 AM
I have the GP32 and MAME on it is quite playable. I plan to get a GP2X next year, money's a tad tight at the moment.
© Forums