Home Page
Posted By: patmcfar8 MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/10/06 11:18 PM
Well today's the day... and here's the best "live" coverage I've found. Enjoy.

http://www.macrumorslive.com/web/
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/10/06 11:20 PM
Just to catch you up to date...

9:19 am Now to the Mac, which is what the rest of the keynote is about... (applause)
9:19 am New iPod Ad for. Sillohettes, jazz trumpet.
9:18 am Discussing Dodge Jeep iPod integration.
9:17 am Works with current models. New radio screen on the iPod to tune radio through the iPod screen. $49
9:16 am Announcing a new accessory for the iPod. a remote control with FM Tuner.
9:16 am Demo of SNL content. blues brothers, coneheads etc...
9:15 am New Saturday Night Live content going up today.
9:14 am showing Bowl Games demo
9:13 am Television show sales doing well. 8 million sold since Oct 12th. Added bowl games.
9:12 am 850 million songs sold. 3 million songs a day are being sold. Over 1 billion songs per year rate. 83% market share.
9:12 am Now on to iTunes...
9:12 am 42 total million iPods sold since the it was first released. 32 million in 2005.
9:11 am Over 100 sold every minute through the quarter.
9:11 am 4.5 milliion sold during holiday 2004, for 2005 holiday sold 14 million
9:10 am "best music players in the world"
9:10 am Total revenues 5.7 billion total. Now let's talk about the iPod
9:09 am Retail stores had their first $1 billion quarter this past quarter
9:08 am 135 Shops around the world. 26 million visitors during holiday quarter.
9:08 am Retail Update.
9:07 am Steve Jobs on stage now
9:07 am Audience clapping, lights dimming
9:05 am "Program about to begin"
9:01 am Please turn off your cell phones...
8:55 am People are taking their seats....
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/10/06 11:35 PM
9:35 am 1click effects, changing color, antigue, sepia, in a few clicks. Showing cards, calendars.
9:34 am When you scroll through photos, a gray box of the month # floats in the middle as you pass months by. Demoing editing photo.
9:33 am Must be a .Mac member to publish and you use RSS to subscribe to receive the photos. Demoing iPhoto now.
9:31 am Pick an album ,push a button, photos uploaded to .Mac. Password protected. Other people can subscribe to them.
9:30 am Can also make cards, post cards, birthday cards. New today - Photocasting. Podcasting for photos. share photos over the internet.
9:29 am One click effects. sepia, black and white, all new cards, calendards and books to make and purchase. hard and softcover books quality is better. Now calendaars can be made with photos.
9:28 am Music, Movies, Photos, Blogs. Giant released. New iPhoto Update with better speed. 25k photos up to 250k in library, scrolls smoothly, full screen editing,
9:26 am Now talking about iLife. Picture of box with roll of film on it.
9:26 am New widgets today. Mac OS 10.4.4 today. google widget, address book, espn, calendar
9:25 am New widgets today. Mac OS X 10.4.4 today. google widget, new address book, espn ,calendar.
9:24 am There are over 1500 Widgets.
9:24 am Now talking about Widgets.
9:23 am More video testaments, football, wedding photos. talking about working with RAW video. Video ends.
9:21 am Video: discussing experience with Aperture and demoing product.
9:20 am Demo video for Aperture.
9:20 am Reviewing/recapping Aperture. Aperture is to the camera as Final Cut Pro is to Video.
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/10/06 11:52 PM
Sorry if this is redundant, but I feel like now that I started it... I should finish it. wink BTW, I'm pretty stoked about the new iLife and the FM remote control for the iPod. Of course I am an Apple whore. wink

9:52 am Final Podcast played. rumor of "8 pound iPod with 10" screen" smile
9:51 am Dragging artwork, demoing making a podcast. Demo over.
9:49 am he's got "Pretty good sources in Apple"
9:49 am Recording - "Hi, I'm Steve, welcome to my podcast of Super Secret Apple Rumors"
9:48 am Steve demoing Garageband with Podcast studio now.
9:47 am Garageband. New podcast studio. Podcast artwork track. over 200 free jingles and effects. speech enhanccer. use iChat for remote interviews.
9:46 am 3rd party DVD burners supported.
9:46 am Vastly improved slideshows.
9:46 am Choose theme, drop movies in, drop in photos and click on button.
9:46 am Magic iDVD, new
9:45 am Next Up... iDVD. Widescreen menus.
9:45 am iMovie Demo over.
9:44 am Overall looks much improved. now demoing College Road trip video.
9:42 am Demoing iMovie now. Showing a movie with a Theme.
9:42 am Can open more than one project at once, realtime effects in titles, export to iPod and create Video Podcasts.
9:41 am Animated themes for movies, real time effects, new audio tools. Moving to iMovie demo.
9:40 am Now onto iMovie... HD last year.
9:39 am When you receive the email, you click on the RSS link and it launches iPhoto and receives the photo. But apparently, you don't need iPhoto to receive the photos... it's just an RSS feed.
9:38 am Demoing Photocasting. picking pictures, click on Publish to upload to .Mac. Choose to Announce, and brings up mail to email to people.
9:37 am Now on to Photocasting...
9:37 am Deming making a calendar, click on an album, can have it more than 12 months. show special holidays. special u.s. events. Can drop a picture on a special date (birthday for example)
9:35 am Showing how to make a birthday card.
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/10/06 11:58 PM
iWeb... Maybe that's the kick in the pants I've needed for years to start up my own little web presence. Either way, nice addition to iLife.

9:57 am iWeb demo now.
9:56 am Any browser can view it.
9:56 am Themes. create in seconds. update whenever you like. RSS subscriptions. 1 click publish.
9:55 am Easy and beautiful. Apple templates. iLife media browser with access to your content. online photo albums. one click publishing to .Mac.
9:54 am New App to share photos, movies, music, blogs, content... iWeb
9:53 am Great 5 apps in iLife... but something new...
9:53 am New Jampack, world music.
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 12:10 AM
Here comes the big one...

10:09 am Intel Bunny suit guy walks out...
10:09 am Really good year for the Mac. Had previously announced that by June of this year they would be shipping Macs with Intel. How are we doing?
10:08 am Now... lets' talk about systems...
10:08 am 30 day free trial of iWorks '06 with new Macs. (Keynote and Pages are the components of iWorks '06)
10:08 am Some of the features in iWork '06. 3d charts, advanced image editing, image reflections, free form and masking, tables with calculations, new themes and templates. no demo, go check it out on the website. $79, also available today.
10:07 am iLife and .Mac. One more product... iWork '06.
10:06 am .Mac update. Now over 1 million subscribers.
10:06 am iLife '06 will be bundleded free on new Macs.
10:06 am Available today.
10:05 am 6 iLife apps now. Same price $79.
10:04 am iWeb demo over.
10:04 am Still demoing how to use iWeb, publishing his previous podcast.
10:02 am Click on button, publish to .Mac. upload it. easy.
10:00 am Drag and drop zones, alignment guides, integrated with your music library.
9:58 am Slideshow viewer uses AJAX technology
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 12:23 AM
iMacs first eh...

10:21 am all the updates will be avaiable for free on their websites in March.
10:21 am Shipping several updates very soon to provide additional supprot for current apple technology. Sync services with handheld devices and entourage.
10:20 am Worked to make sure that current versions of Office run well in Rosetta.
10:20 am Microsoft BU update. microsoft rep talking about being on track for unviversal binaries of Office and Messenger.
10:19 am Rosetta on iMac. Office runs great on Rosetta.
10:19 am Other developers starting to release universal binaries. Quark unviversal beta shipping today.
10:18 am Pro apps will be universal in March. Final Cut, Aperture, Pro. If you have the latest version, you can trade in your disc for a universal disc for $49.
10:17 am iLife 06 and iWork 06 are all universal binaries, and was demoing them on an Intel machine.
10:16 am 10.4.4 is entirely native on Intel processor. All the applications included are universal and native on Intel.
10:16 am showing benchmarks. overall 2-3x faster.
10:15 am Two cores. each one faster than the G5.
10:14 am Intel Core Duo. an amazing chip.
10:14 am Intel Processor. 2-3x faster than the iMac G5.
10:14 am Same sizes. 17", 20". Same design. Same features (isight, front row, apple remote), Same price. What's different.
10:13 am No other desktop PC can match it.
10:12 am The iMac - built in isight camera. front row. incredible reception.
10:12 am First Mac with Intel processor today.
10:12 am Thrilled with new technology from Intel. Paul Otellini leaves.
10:10 am Hard work, nights and weekends working... thanks Intel.
10:10 am Paul Otellini appears. Intel is ready. Apple is ready too.
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 12:31 AM
Powerbooks are next it would seem!

10:30 am But power consuption. Now discussing Peformance per Watt.
10:29 am Showing a Powerbook G4. Trying to shoehorn a G5 into the Powerbook. We've done everyhing possible...
10:29 am "One More Thing..."
10:28 am "For years intel chips have been bored in a PC"
10:28 am "Intel Chip will be Set Free" (Mac Ad)
10:27 am Showing a new Ad.
10:27 am All products will be transitioning through the end of the year. (note iMac has ATI x1600, reportedly)
10:26 am 17" iMac, 20" iMac; 2-3x faster. Shipping Today.
10:25 am Showing Safari now on the iMac.
10:25 am Applying script of filters for a King Kong scene. no necessarily enough for pro, but good for most of us.
10:24 am Demoing other apps on Rosetta. Photoshop.
10:23 am Demo of Office on Rosetta.
10:23 am Committing to shipping a version of Office for Mac for minimum of 5 years. Office for Mac is incredibly successful product. We're here to stay and in it for the long term.
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 12:35 AM
I stand corrected... MacBook Pro (hmm, at first impression, I think that sucks... but time will tell I suppose)

10:33 am Demoing the new MacBook Pro.
10:33 am iSight Camera.
10:32 am 15.4inch LCD. bright as cinemas.
10:32 am Hair thinner than the 17".
10:32 am Fastest notebook ever.
10:31 am 4-5x faster.
10:31 am 2 processors in every Macbook pro.
10:31 am No more Powerbook. Intel duo Core.
10:30 am New laptop computer.
10:30 am Today - MacBook Pro
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 12:42 AM
And I'm spent...

10:42 am That's it. We'll be posting new stories shortly. Thanks to all who helped make this webcast possible.
10:41 am Shows pic of Jobs and Woz. will be 30 years in 4-1-2006.
10:40 am Thanks intel.
10:40 am Thanking people who walk out on stage. Lots of applause.
10:38 am Showing in the Intel ad one more time.
10:38 am Taking orders today.
10:37 am Shipping in February.
10:37 am 5.6lbs. iSight, Front Row; $1999 1.67 Core Duo; 667 DDR bus, x1600; $2499 1.83GHz.
10:35 am New feature: New Power Adapter is magnetically held in. If yanked, comes right out.
10:35 am IR sensor. Apple Remote.
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 12:53 AM
Thanks again to MacRumors for such excellent and timely coverage. Now let the Apple hate/love fests begin... wink

Personally I'm very excited about the new MacBook Pro (shudder at the name) and will be figuring out how I can sell my current PowerBook and getting into one of them.

And I'll be ordering iLife '06 as soon as the store is back up.

But my concerns will be with the challenge of having OS X and all of the Apple and 3rd party software split on G4/G5s and the new Intel chips. At home it will be less of an issue for me, but at work... that's a different story.

Price-wise and performance-wise... I'll be watching to see how this plays out.

At least we won't have to worry about PCs having faster processors any more. smile
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 12:54 AM
And as a side note... I've always loved the look of Apple's website...

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
Posted By: mahuti Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 01:00 AM
No DVR frown
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 01:15 AM
The DVR will almost certainly be tied to the Intel-based Mini, so that's not shocking.

Goofy name or not, the MacBook Pro is the sexy.
Posted By: Richard Bannister Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 01:50 AM
Aye. I hardly use my current laptop though, so I can't really justify a replacement. I will almost certainly buy a Mac Mini with DVR features though.

I'm looking forward to someone coming out with Rosetta in reverse, to allow developers without Intel Macs to work on their universal binaries.
Posted By: RockyRoad Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by patmcfar8:
Personally I'm very excited about the new MacBook Pro (shudder at the name) and will be figuring out how I can sell my current PowerBook and getting into one of them.
So the MacBook dumps Firewire 800 - wonder if that is an Intel pushed thing. Looks like USB 2.0 is going to win afterall.

And no S-Video or Composite out.

What is an "Express Card 34"? no PC slot?
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 02:23 AM
They're forward looking. FW was never alive on PCs, Express Card (PCI Express-based) will be replacing PC Card (PCI-based) in Windows notebooks very soon, and DVI out is perfect for modern HDTVs and projectors.
Posted By: vitaflo Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 02:50 AM
Anyone else concerned with the lack of any info on battery life?
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 03:04 AM
Personally I've never owned anything that used Firewire 800... so I don't think I'll miss that. S-Video out will probably be missed by some, but again I prefer DVI.

And a lot of people have brought up the lack of battery life specs from Apple on the MB Pros (can I use that abbreviation yet?)... and that can't be a good sign.

Still, I'm looking forward to getting one... whenever that is.
Posted By: voch Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 03:16 AM
Very very nice notebook. smile A wonderful potential update to my 'ol TiBook 667/DVI (AppleCare expires in February, too). I'm still reluctant to pull the trigger on a purchase, though.

We'll see what the iBook replacement (I assume it'll be MacBook sans "Pro") will have in it (Intel Core Solo?...that'd diffrentiate the series from the "Pro" models but would have much less bang-for-buck...and Intel is shipping more models of the Solo chip in the near future).

Voch
Posted By: mahuti Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 03:35 AM
I bought a 500gb drive that has Firewire 800... DANG is it fast.

I was thinking ahead though, and made sure it also had firewire 400, and usb 1&2 compatibility laugh
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 05:34 AM
Battery life on the Pentium Ms has been very good (that was the point of starting that design) so unless Apple's really loaded the thing down with power drains it should be quite competitive.
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 06:04 AM
^^^ See that's what I thought too... but why is there no information about the battery life anywhere on their site? Are they hiding something or did the info. just slip through the cracks?
Posted By: Brad Oliver Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by patmcfar8:
^^^ See that's what I thought too... but why is there no information about the battery life anywhere on their site? Are they hiding something or did the info. just slip through the cracks?
From what I understand, these new chips have wildly variable power stepping to control power usage, so the battery life tends to vary a lot more based on specific usage. I've heard that they average 4-5 hours in typical use, but on the other hand Apple has also announced that the displays are now much brighter than before, so who knows how it all will shake out?
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 06:53 AM
Yeah, 4-5 hours for your average office app type load with a high-capacity battery is definitely not unusual on PMs, but then again none of them have a backlit keyboard smile
Posted By: RockyRoad Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
They're forward looking. FW was never alive on PCs, Express Card (PCI Express-based) will be replacing PC Card (PCI-based) in Windows notebooks very soon, and DVI out is perfect for modern HDTVs and projectors.
Agreed. But they should have made the single FIrewire port a FW 800 one and supplied and adaptor for FW400 use. Then you have the choice.

I don't actually have any FW800 devices but have been using the FW800 port on my Powerbook as a second FW400 port and its been useful to keep my camera seperate to my hard drives.
Posted By: Brad Oliver Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RockyRoad:
I don't actually have any FW800 devices but have been using the FW800 port on my Powerbook as a second FW400 port and its been useful to keep my camera seperate to my hard drives.
I don't have any FW 800 devices either. From what I can tell, it really never caught on like FW 400 did. My larger concern is USB. Maybe I've been in the RDF too long, but I'm pretty sure my mice and keyboards are USB 1, and I thought I'd read that USB 2 devices throttle down to the slowest device on the bus. So I have some concern (hopefully misplaced!) that using my mouse or all these gamepads and joysticks I've got will throttle any external USB 2 hard drive speed on these new Macs down into the "super slow" range.
Posted By: Nathan Strum Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
My larger concern is USB. Maybe I've been in the RDF too long, but I'm pretty sure my mice and keyboards are USB 1, and I thought I'd read that USB 2 devices throttle down to the slowest device on the bus. So I have some concern (hopefully misplaced!) that using my mouse or all these gamepads and joysticks I've got will throttle any external USB 2 hard drive speed on these new Macs down into the "super slow" range.
I believe that's correct. I've got a FW 400/800/USB 2.0 drive, which absolutely screams on FW 800 (fast enough to run uncompressed video w/out dropping frames), but when plugged into the USB 2.0 port, it crawls at a completely unusable speed with the same files in Final Cut Pro.

I suspect FW 800 will live on in the G5 tower replacement Mactels, but was probably removed from the MacBook for space considerations.

As for the keynote...

I was pretty surprised the iMac was Intelified so soon, but I'd wondered if the recent case re-design was done in part to accomodate the new Intel models. Looks like that was the case (pun not intended).

The new MacBook seems very cool. I would suspect the i(ntel)Book will take over for the 12" model. I don't know if the 17" ever sold very well. It's an extremely bulky thing for a laptop computer. As far as the name goes... does this mean the PowerMac will now become the MacMac?

I'm also surprised Apple announced that they'll have all of their lineup moved to Intel by the end of this year. At WWDC last year, he said it'd take until the end of 2007. So things must be moving along very well with Intel indeed, for that to happen.

I'm a little disappointed the DVR thing didn't show up, but I'm sure it'll be along before Microsoft is able to get Vista for Viiv out the door.
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/11/06 09:17 PM
Fully compliant USB 2 hubs support what's called "split transaction" mode. They effectively isolate all the downstream full-speed and low-speed devices on their own bus, and up-convert to high-speed when communicating upstream. So plugging a had disk and keyboard into one USB 2 hub won't slow the hard disk down to USB 1.1 speed.

The biggest problem with USB is that every device you connect consumes bus time whether it's talking or not. The host has to poll the devices individually and reserves time for each device. The protocol is far less efficient than FireWire. You should theoretically get at least 25% better performance out of FireWire 400 than USB 2 high-speed (480), despite the USB PHY speed being 20% higher.
Posted By: Marc Mame Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/12/06 08:19 PM
Did they also drop the "sudden motion sensor" feature ? Never seen such a short life span....
Posted By: Marc Mame Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/12/06 08:21 PM
So... now that they decided to drop the "Power" of the family names.
How will they remane the PowerMac family ? wink
Posted By: Nathan Strum Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/13/06 01:29 AM
Mac Pro
Posted By: patmcfar8 Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/13/06 02:01 AM
Well... looks like there was "some very, very cool stuff" that didn't quite make the announcement.

Maybe the Mac Mini/DVR with Intel Inside lives on... wink

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the obligatory teaser...

"He also said that if he were me, he probably wouldn't order one of the new MacBook Pros. I asked if there would be MacBook replacements for the 17-inch and 12-inch PowerBooks, but he said, "Oh, it's much cooler than that. Much cooler."

What could be cooler than that? wink
Posted By: mahuti Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/13/06 10:08 PM
I believe I read that the sudden motion sensor tech is stll there.
Posted By: Marc Mame Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/13/06 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mahuti:
I believe I read that the sudden motion sensor tech is stll there.
Can't find that info anywhere on Apple site except for G4 Powerbooks.
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/15/06 07:04 PM
BTW, in some new tests on otherwise identical PC laptops the Core Duo netted 30 minutes longer battery life than the previous single-core Pentium M for compute-bound tasks. (DVD playback and heavy WiFi use both largely negated that gain since the drive motors and WiFi radio are notorious power hogs). So there's nothing wrong battery-wise with the chip itself - curious that Apple has nothing to say on the matter.
Posted By: mahuti Re: MWSF: Most Wanted! - 01/15/06 11:49 PM
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/jan/10macbookpro.html

7th paragraph.
© Forums