Home Page
Posted By: CRP About speed in Outrun - 01/14/06 01:05 AM
I just had a chance to compare Outrun on mame .103 on both an IMac G5 and a PC with a 1.6 Athlon XP, and noticed quite a difference in speed. With frameskip 0, on the PC it is absolutely smooth at 100%, while on the mac it is in the 80-90% range, and never quite smooth.
Is this only because the mac does not use the ASM 68k emulator or is there some other reason?
Posted By: AWJ Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/14/06 10:17 AM
No, MAME on x86 hasn't used an assembly language M68K core in quite a while. The only non-portable cores currently used by MAME are PowerPC and MIPS3.
Posted By: Fred Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/14/06 11:31 PM
I'm not able to start Outrun in the new 0.103 version.Missing rom message always...any idea ? it was working with 0.77 that I've used before this.
Posted By: Fred Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/14/06 11:40 PM
Well...I've downloaded the Deluxe Version and it works...but it is extremely slow...audio skipping and frame rate very low.It happens even with,example,Rod-Land...and doesn't happen with 0.77.Very strange...
Posted By: Isaac Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/15/06 02:21 PM
The Sega rewrite most likely. The emulation is more accurate now and that is taxing on the CPU. Just use updated ROMs if you are missing them, especially if you are coming from 0.77. Not strange at all.
Posted By: CRP Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/15/06 09:40 PM
What makes me curious is that it is a specific Outrun thing. Other Sega System16/24 games work fine. For example, Space Harrier and Super HangOn are quite smooth, while Outrun stutters very much...
Posted By: Fred Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/16/06 12:53 AM
Brad...if you read this...any idea ? So strange at my eyes a so big difference in fps between 0.77 and the latest MacMame build.
Posted By: kc4reel Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/16/06 01:42 AM
afterburner seems to have the same problem. If I understand correctly, the emulation is better on these sega games, but the speed has suffered a hit. If that's the case then there's not much we can do because it is all about the emulation and not the playability right?
Posted By: Brad Oliver Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/16/06 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred:
Brad...if you read this...any idea ? So strange at my eyes a so big difference in fps between 0.77 and the latest MacMame build.
What Isaac said.
Posted By: CRP Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/17/06 04:49 AM
Ok about the rewrite slowing down emulation, though it strikes me that speed is mostly the same on all games if played on my PC or my Mac, while on Outrun there is big difference...
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/17/06 05:47 AM
Outrun also used to have huts in the middle of the road, among other things. Anyway, the 3 heaviest-to-emulate Sega games from the mid 80s are OutRun, AfterBurner, and Galaxy Force II. If only OutRun is slow out of those 3, you have some sort of configuration problem.
Posted By: sweetpea Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/17/06 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
Outrun also used to have huts in the middle of the road, among other things. Anyway, the 3 heaviest-to-emulate Sega games from the mid 80s are OutRun, AfterBurner, and Galaxy Force II. If only OutRun is slow out of those 3, you have some sort of configuration problem.
Galaxy Force II runs at an acceptable speed for me with auto frame skip (music is the correct speed and frame rate is acceptable) Outrun and Afterburner are another matter, the frame rate has reduced to near the level of a slide show. I would have thought that Galaxy Force II should be the slowest. I threw out all my previous game config files, org.macmame.frontend.plist and org.macmame.macmame.plist. Is there anything I missed that could be causing this?

By the way does anybody know how to stop the caps lock from flashing in Space Harrier? Is this supposed to be emulating an LED on the original hardware?

*Actually on second thoughts, the frame rate in Galaxy Force is not that good but the audio plays correctly*
Posted By: Brad Oliver Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/17/06 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CRP:
Ok about the rewrite slowing down emulation, though it strikes me that speed is mostly the same on all games if played on my PC or my Mac, while on Outrun there is big difference...
With regards to Outrun, it's possible there's a problem that's Mac-specific here if there's a huge performance disparity in it compared to a PC if no other similar Sega games display a similar performance disparity (percentage-wise, not absolute frame-rate wise). I'll try to remember to take a look for the next MacMAME update.
Posted By: AWJ Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/17/06 10:27 PM
Outrun and AB are very similar to each other hardware-wise, while GFII is completely different (the scenery in GFII and the other YBoard games is made entirely out of sprites; there's no dedicated road generator like in the older hardware)

RB, when you say those three games are the heaviest to emulate, do you mean that those three specific games push their respective hardware the hardest, or are you using them as a shorthand for the pre-Xboard/Xboard/Yboard games in general?
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/18/06 12:11 AM
Should be both, although Thunder Blade vs AB for worst game on Xboard is a bit of a toss-up.
Posted By: CRP Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/18/06 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
With regards to Outrun, it's possible there's a problem that's Mac-specific here if there's a huge performance disparity in it compared to a PC if no other similar Sega games display a similar performance disparity (percentage-wise, not absolute frame-rate wise). I'll try to remember to take a look for the next MacMAME update.
Outrun, Afterburner and Galaxy Force all stutter (60-80% at frameskip 0) a lot on my 2GHz G5 iMac. If I play them on my PC, which is a 1.6Ghz Athlon, they run _very_ smooth (solid 100% with frameskip 0). Other Sega games run smooth on both machines. Games that are supposed to be slow, do so on both machines. For example, Propeller Cycle runs the same way, about 25%-40% with frameskip 0, on both PC & Mac.
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/18/06 04:16 AM
Wow, am I reading that correctly? Outrun doesn't play at full speed on a 2 GIGAHERTZ machine? How can that be possible?

Man, maybe I WON'T get in a hurry to buy a new computer after all. frown
Posted By: Fred Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/18/06 04:42 AM
With the old Mame,even on a "slow" G4 1GHz,Outrun was going very very well....other example ? Rod-Land ...same problem.I'll put MacMame 0.77 very near to 0.103,for now :-)
Posted By: AWJ Re: About speed in Outrun - 01/18/06 05:25 AM
Rod-Land isn't even a Sega game. The only thing it has remotely in common with Outrun is having two 68000s.
© Forums