Home Page

XCode Project Case-Sensitivity Problem

Posted By: aPinecone

XCode Project Case-Sensitivity Problem - 08/18/06 05:41 AM

Hi all,

There's a bit of a glitch in the XCode project of MacMame. What happens is that Mac OS X can have two different file systems: a case-sensitive one, and a case-insensitive one.

Since I assume whoever made the XCode project file has the case-INsensitive filesystem, the XCode project contains references to source files that are called, say, "I86.c", which of course refers to the source file "i86.c". In the case-insensitive filesystem the two names are the same, but not so in the case-sensitive filesystem.

Of course, to fix this one just needs to rename the source file references in the XCode project, but I thought I'd bring this up since it would save some hassle to the would-be contributor.
Posted By: Brad Oliver

Re: XCode Project Case-Sensitivity Problem - 08/20/06 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aPinecone:
Of course, to fix this one just needs to rename the source file references in the XCode project, but I thought I'd bring this up since it would save some hassle to the would-be contributor.
The other solution is to tell people to not use abominations of nature like case-sensitive filesystems. wink

Re: XCode Project Case-Sensitivity Problem - 08/23/06 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
Quote:
[b]Of course, to fix this one just needs to rename the source file references in the XCode project, but I thought I'd bring this up since it would save some hassle to the would-be contributor.
The other solution is to tell people to not use abominations of nature like case-sensitive filesystems. wink [/b]
Eh? I hope you're joking =) Most file systems out there are case-sensitive, and it's not a big stretch to update the xcodeproj to cater to that.
Posted By: R. Belmont

Re: XCode Project Case-Sensitivity Problem - 08/23/06 07:32 PM

In a Mac context, that's very definitely *not* a "most". It's been case-preserving but not -sensitive since at least the original HFS.
Posted By: tlindner

Re: XCode Project Case-Sensitivity Problem - 08/23/06 09:37 PM

Even as far back as MFS. smile

--
tim "who needs real folders, anyway" lindner
tlindner@macmess.org
Posted By: Brad Oliver

Re: XCode Project Case-Sensitivity Problem - 08/24/06 01:05 AM

Quote:
Eh? I hope you're joking =) Most file systems out there are case-sensitive...
I'm dead serious. Most filesystems are not case-sensitive. NTFS and FAT32, for example, are not by default - same with the common Mac filesystems. (I gather that NTFS actually is, but Win32 is not, but the distinction is not important.) Do not confuse case-sensitive with case-preserving.

As far as I can tell, the only people who use case-sensitive filesystems appear to be Linux/Unix developers who don't know any better and think it's a grand idea to have files like ReadMe.txt and Readme.txt in the same location. ;-)

Edit: I should add, in the interest of fairness, that I'm not at all opposed to case-sensitive fixes to the Xcode projects. I will not be hunting down these bugs myself, however, and I make no promises that the Xcode projects will remain case-sensitive safe.

Re: XCode Project Case-Sensitivity Problem - 08/24/06 12:14 PM

Brad, I'm not out here to convince you about the greatness/crappiness of case-sensitive filesystems.

Bottom line is that having the xcodeproj not case-sensitive safe means that there's more hassle for someone using a case-sensitive filesystem when trying to contribute to the project. Make whatever conclusions you want.
© 2019 Forums