Home Page

Universal binary (Mac)

Posted By: Richard Bannister

Universal binary (Mac) - 01/21/06 04:36 AM

Does anyone reading this board have an Intel-based Mac? I've got a Universal Binary building now and I'd be interested to know if it worked!

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 01/21/06 05:39 AM

Here's the link, complete with one test track in each supported format. PPC users should note that I now require 10.4.x.

http://www.esatclear.ie/~bannister/ao20b8a1-mac.zip

Feedback to this thread only please, and please specify whether you're using an Intel or a PPC machine.
Posted By: czimmerman

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 01/21/06 06:07 AM

Hey,

I have an Intel iMac and Audio Overload is running fine. I've been messing around with it for a little bit now and no problems.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 01/21/06 06:16 AM

That's good to hear. Hopefully everyone else who plays around with it will see similar results with all supported formats :-)
Posted By: Murray

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 01/23/06 08:59 AM

Here's a fixed version of Toy Story that works under this newest version(since there is no .RSN for Toy Story at snesmusic.org):
http://www12.rapidupload.com/d.php?file=dl&filepath=3834
Posted By: blargg

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 01/23/06 03:08 PM

rapidupload = apparently broken, and many SPC files from Zophar also = broken. Specifically, the xid6 tags in Toy Story (and others) aren't padded to 4-byte boundaries as specified in the SPC file spec. I'm guessing this is the problem.

EDIT: (not wanting to bloat this thread with this off-topic issue) Comparing the fixed Toy Story files to the originals, I see that you've simply removed the xid6 tags from some. When the blocks are unpadded, it causes a correct parser to pick up junk for the tag type, and likely read past the end of the file data. If things are just right (or if every block falls on a 4-byte boundary), it might stop at the end without causing an error, thus some of the improper xid6 tags won't trip up the parser. Here's how I handle these non-conformant files in my xid6 parser:
Code:
int unaligned = pos;
while ( pos & 3 )
{
    if ( data [pos++] != 0 )
    {
        // encountered non-zero padding, so go back
        pos = unaligned;
        break;
    }
}
Posted By: R. Belmont

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 01/23/06 07:27 PM

They did *what*? Eww.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 01/24/06 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blargg:
rapidupload = apparently broken, and many SPC files from Zophar also = broken. Specifically, the xid6 tags in Toy Story (and others) aren't padded to 4-byte boundaries as specified in the SPC file spec. I'm guessing this is the problem.
A number of things from Zophar are causing trouble.
No problems from snesmusic.org however.

Here's a fixed link for Toy Story:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V2A4OFYU
Posted By: oneagle

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 02/11/06 04:01 PM

iMac intel user here, toyed with ao for a while and it works perfectly, no issues.
Posted By: Slick Mandela

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/07/06 04:48 AM

Finally got around to testing it this morning. Please note that I do not have an Intel Mac.

Seems to work fine except for one problem: Certain songs in zophar spc sets wouldn't play. You click on it and the typical "this is a nested file or unsupported format" dialog comes up. I don't know if that's the same problem as mentioned above, but it sounds like it might be. (one game I tested where this occured was Beauty and the Beast)

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/07/06 05:16 AM

Boris: get your spc sets from snesmusic.org. Those are "certified" :-)

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/07/06 05:24 AM

Ahem... I'm Slick Mandela. wink

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/07/06 10:23 PM

Uhh, is that supposed to be the world's most confusing war cry or something?

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/07/06 10:49 PM

Oh, how I love the internet and its ease of miscommunication.

No, what I was implying by saying I'm Slick Mandela, if you haven't already figured it out, was that I'm a VERY frequent visitor to snesmusic.org and have submitted a great number of sets there. So you're preaching to the choir.

I was just trying to bring a bug to Bannister's attention; I agree snesmusic.org is far superior to zophar.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/07/06 11:49 PM

LOL! Ok, now I see smile
Posted By: Avenger23

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/10/06 09:19 AM

I just received my MacBook Pro a couple of days ago, and I would also be interested in testing out the gaming emulators to help out!
Posted By: Guilliamo

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/10/06 09:56 AM

I too have an Intel Mac and would be glad to help test gaming emulators.

G

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/10/06 10:52 AM

I would imagine Richard has his by now too - my Mini arrived Monday.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/10/06 02:17 PM

Mine shipped last week but isn't here yet. 7-8 day lead time apparently. The tracking system says it's currently in Amsterdam.
Posted By: Wevah

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/11/06 01:16 PM

I just got my MacBook today. You'll probably end up with more than enough testers, but I'm up for it if you need any more.

(Yes, I don't post much.)

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/30/06 09:50 AM

Found a problem with the .GBS engine:
Game & Watch Gallerys 1-3 don't work.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/30/06 10:26 AM

Do they work with blargg's emulator? It's important to know if it's our fault or his wink

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/30/06 11:59 AM

I have yet to test that but here is where the files are from:
http://drag.wootest.net/gbs/

I tried it in GMB, didn't work.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/30/06 09:33 PM

Hey, thanks for the link! It's definitely been a while since new gbs files have been released.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/31/06 01:34 AM

Yeah, it's nice to see new GBSes. I guess we'll raise the blargg-signal (whatever that looks like) =)

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/31/06 06:05 AM

Seems 2 works fine even though 1 and 3 don't. Could there be something wrong with the files?

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/31/06 06:17 AM

What is that? I'm on it! ...

Apparently that GBS is setting to a non-existent bank (four banks, trying to select the 26th one). My current code uses bank 0 in this case, and I think that may have been necessary for some other GBS files. If the number of banks is a power of two, the hardware-wise thing to do would be to use the modulus (second bank in this case). The change is simple:

Code:
// Gbs_Emu.cpp line 74:
if ( n >= bank_count )
{
    dprintf( "set_bank out of range: %d, bank_count: %d\n", (int) n, (int) bank_count );
    n %= bank_count;
}
I should test the new GBS music that's been released. I'm just so put off by the umpteen-page threads of people haphazardly posting new rips and links to pages of random collections. I wish they'd get together and makte a centralized site that accepts submissions using an automatic script.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/31/06 07:03 AM

Is there anyway to edit the .GBS to use a different bank?

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 03/31/06 08:07 AM

Sure, that's the ripper's job (or someone should point to me to where the GBS spec specifies what happens for bad bank values, since the number of banks is sometimes not a power of two, like when the ripper adds some code to an extra bank).

OK, I was able to quickly fix Game & Watch Gallery 3 soundtrack , but my attempted fix of the first one resulted in some interesting sounds.
Posted By: El-ahrairah

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 04/01/06 08:58 PM

PPC user here reporting that everything works fine so far.

I have tested as many formats as possible including the test tracks that came with it. In this zip file is the Trio Sonata.orc This is lovely. Does anyone know where to get more Tandy Radio Shack .ORC TRS-80 Orchestra-90 music? The closest thing I can find is the content list of a TOSEC set that contains a lot more Bach. frown

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 04/08/06 12:29 AM

Ok, after a little searching I have found this site (ok, wasn't really that hard to find cool ) ...

Ira Goldklang\'s TRS-80 Revived Site

If you download the zip archives A-Z you will get a load of song files in .ASC format (what is this?)

But if you download the Thomas Bourke Orch Collection, at the bottom of the page, the song files are in .ORC.

However if you try and play these .ORC files Audio Overload quits.

Feeling a little nonplussed I decided to rename the .ASC files as .ORC files and these work fine in AO! smile

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 04/08/06 01:05 AM

LOL. I guess that's about the opposite of the .COP situation where the same extension was used for 4 or 5 different kinds of files :-)

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 04/08/06 01:47 AM

I'd guess (right now I've too much to do to look) that they use some ORC command I've not implemented yet. Remind me in a few weeks and I'll see if I can sort it out.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 05/15/06 08:23 PM

Some SNDH problems using the Universal Binary.

Many of the files from the latest update to the Atari SNDH Archive don't want to play.

"Audio Overload was unable to play the selected file"

message appears and...

"SC68 API couldn't init"

in the console.

e.g. try and play the first file by 505 called 8x8_hero in the update zip.

They play in XSC 2.0 and AO v2.0b5 if that is of any interest. Otherwise v2.0b8a1 is sounding nicer than these and sounding less "compressed" or muffled.

This is only really a problem for the files in the latest update, upd21. Most of the files from the main collection play very nicely. Just these new ones seem a bit problematic. Maybe it has something to do with the newer v2.00 SNDH format?

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 05/15/06 11:34 PM

Either the version of SC68 we're using doesn't support SNDH 2.0 or we're doing something wrong with it :-)
Posted By: Paul Reilly

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 02/07/07 01:12 PM

Is there a fixed link for the Universal version. The link at the beginning of this thread seems to be broken and I'd love to try this out on my Intel iMac.

Thanks

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 02/07/07 03:30 PM

Jesus, I didn't realise it had been more than a year since the last release. I'll try to get the skates on to get a version out to the public sooner rather than later.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 02/07/07 11:35 PM

Indeed smile

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 02/08/07 05:03 AM

I look forward to the next version. Thanks for the quick response!

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 05/17/07 08:01 AM

Hello-
Is there any word on a Universal Binary of this app?

Thanks

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 05/17/07 02:24 PM

Aye, we really should get our act together on this...
Posted By: Furby

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 08/31/07 10:38 PM

Hello. I'm a PPC Mac users still running Mac OS 10.3.3...

If you don't have anything that would require running Mac OS 10.4 or later, I got a backward compatibilty idea for the universal binaries:

1. Use GCC 3.3 for PPC. This ensures backward compatibilty to 10.2, or something like that, unless you're using 10.3 or later specific features. If you're using 10.4 or later specific features, then go ahead and keep GCC 4.0.
2. Use GCC 4.0 for Intel. That was obvious...

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 09/01/07 06:14 AM

I'm sorry, but I am not prepared to support obsolete operating systems. I'd encourage you to use Game Music Box instead, which has all the engines you're likely to get full speed with on your setup.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 09/04/07 10:18 PM

OK. In that case, the only new format that I won't be able to test (and actually hear, in this case) is PSF2 and any other later formats you and the others add support to.

I'm pretty much done then in a case like this, since I have the most recent version of Audio Overload actually released.

But before I go, I would like to report one bug with the Super Mario Bros. 3 NSF set... it has a sample looping problem in the files themselves. I also had this with Game Music Box.

Earlier versions of Audio Overload actually don't have this problem, believe it or not!

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 09/04/07 10:33 PM

PSF2 wouldn't run on a 300 MHz system anyway, so it doesn't matter smile

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 09/15/07 07:58 PM

Revision: It would run, but very slowly. The only way to actually run it is to export it to WAV, then play it. I had the same problem (somewhat) on the PSF files.

As for Game Music Box, there is a sample looping problem with the Super Mario Bros 3 NSF set. The problem is corrected by using older NSF players, like an older version of Audio Overload. Game Music Box hasn't been updated in a year, so I'm doubtful that'll be fixed anytime soon... somewhat, unless the developer is still here, but busy.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 09/16/07 05:27 AM

Game Music Box uses the same engine as Audio Overload. If blargg fixes bugs in the engine chances are both will be updated.

Re: Universal binary (Mac) - 09/23/07 03:35 PM

*jaw drops* Hey, that could actually be a good thing!

Speaking of which, I should submit an idea to the Game Music Box section.
© 2020 Forums