Home Page
Posted By: Vas Crabb [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 12/04/06 06:40 AM
Since MacMAMEinfoX seems to be of more interest to SDLMAME users than MacMAME users, I'm creating a new thread here. MacMAMEinfoX 0.7.5 is out:
  • Works with SDLMAME 0.110u3+ and compatible
  • Identify ROM sets
  • Supports using ui.bdf - put it in ~/Documents/MacMAME User Data/Fonts
  • Images removed from the info drawer - you can look at several of them now
  • A whole lot more help - please read it if you get into trouble

If you used the add-on SDLMAME 0.110 plugin, you should remove it before using the new version.

Download MacMAMEinfoX 0.7.5 (565kB disk image. Requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later.)

Posted By: seanraaron Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 12/05/06 03:27 AM
This rocks the house -- seriously Vas, the new image viewer is very cool as is the font support -- superb!

I think the only things on my wish list is to be able to remember window states between running the program (I'm forever using the little divot to slide up the window and hide the Genre menu part at the top) and an option to toggle off the search bar.

Cheers,

Sean
Posted By: Noxx69 Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 12/05/06 05:31 PM
Always good, thanks...
A little things, I can't see my screenshots because I use an alias for indicate the real path in Macmame folders (I think). Is it possible to modify the path used by MacMameinfoX ?
I have read the help but you don't tell about that, but thank for writing an help, it's so rare ;-)
Posted By: Gerardo30 Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 12/06/06 02:28 PM
Can anyone help me?
I have the new version of MacMAMEinfoX 07.5 and I can't make it works, because I don't know how to built SDLMAME0.110u3+
I hope anyone can help me, thanks
smile
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 12/06/06 03:09 PM
  • Install developer tools (comes with OS X)
  • Install SDL framework
  • Download SDLMAME source
  • Unzip SDLMAME source. Open the file called "makefile" in a text editor and change the line that says "SUBARCH = linux" to "SUBARCH = macosx" and save the changes.
  • Open a terminal window, change to the SDLMAME source folder and type "make" and hit return
Posted By: Sandman Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 12/25/06 07:03 AM
Thank you, Vas, for once again updating MacMAMEinfoX. I followed the directions listed above and received the following error:

cc1: error: invalid option 'arch=pentium3'
make: *** [obj/mamepm/audit.o] Error 1

I know that SDLMAME is not your project, but do you have any idea what this error means?
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 01/02/07 06:35 AM
Something in the makefile is screwed up.
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 01/02/07 07:47 AM
Sandman: Intel or PPC? That error sounds like you're on PPC, in which case you need to open the "makefile" once again, find the line "PM = 1", put a # before it, then remove the # next to your processor a few lines below (G4 or G5).
Posted By: BarakTheCat Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/08/07 06:30 AM
Is there anyway to specify for MacMAMEInfoX to launch SDLMAME using a second display?
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/08/07 06:31 AM
SDLMAME does not currently support multiple displays (the SDL library itself won't until 1.3, which is expected later this year). MAME OS X might (Dave?).
Posted By: Dave Dribin Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/08/07 12:50 PM
Eh... in windowed mode, it'll center itself on the main display I believe. And full screen definitely uses the main display. I would like to incorporate multiple screens in full screen mode, but there's some OpenGL/CoreVideo trickiness I need to wrap my head around to get that to work.

-Dave
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/09/07 07:33 AM
OK, I've finally tidied up my stuff and got MMIX 0.7.6 ready:
  • SDK is ready - now you can make plug-ins other kinds of MAME, or make MAME front-ends with (hopefully) minimal effort
  • Image windows are no longer floating - it was annoying
  • You can set the keymap file through the UI
  • Treats SDLMAME output as UTF8
  • Launch selected game with return key (if focus is on list)
  • Fixed a hang at launch if the column you're sorting by is hidden
  • Many internal changes

Download MacMAMEinfoX 0.7.6 (629kB dmg)
Download MacMAMEinfoX SDK 0.7.6 (574kB dmg)

Please read the read me file if you get the SDK. As usual, comments/criticism/bug reports/etc. are welcome.
Posted By: Bob Boyle Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/09/07 12:17 PM
Vas,

Great work. Your front-end and SDLMame are a great combination.

Thanks alot!
Posted By: gdk Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/16/07 08:09 AM
The disk image for the binary seems to be damaged. A "no mountable file systems" warning comes up when attempting the mount the disk.
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/16/07 08:46 AM
You have to be running OS X 10.4 to be able to open the disk image (or run MAME OS X).
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/16/07 09:59 AM
Really? The MacMAMEinfoX disk image doesn't work on 10.3? That's a problem... I'll look into it.
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/16/07 10:43 AM
Sorry, I meant the MAME OS X image. It wasn't clear what he was asking about smile
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/16/07 04:08 PM
I just checked and the MacMAMEinfoX 0.7.6 disk image downloads and mounts fine on Panther. Try again.
Posted By: gdk Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/18/07 03:04 PM
Er, sorry about that. Should have said it was MacMAMEinfoX. I'm actually running 10.4.9. Just downloaded again and had the same problem.
Posted By: Bob Boyle Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/19/07 01:33 AM
VC,

Is there any chance you will offer the option of specifying game directories in the future? I would prefer to keep all of my Roms in the same place. Currently I am using aliases to do just that, but it'd be nice to avoid having SDLMame look in the "MacMame User Data" folder.

Thanks.
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/19/07 05:53 AM
Maybe, but I'd probably have to drop MacMAME support if I did that. Does anyone actually use MMIX to drive MacMAME?
Posted By: Bob Boyle Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/20/07 06:27 AM
Does anyone even use MacMAME anymore? smile
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/20/07 07:27 AM
OK, I almost got this to work- I downloaded MacMAMEinfoX and the precompiled SDLMAME from www.ltc.lu/enseignants/carlo.noben/pages/projects/projects.html , and followed the instructions in the MacMAMEinfoX help window (under "Getting Started with SDLMAME") so that all my games were able to appear in the MacMAMEinfoX window.

But whenever I load any ROM it says "Error: unknown option: -fontpath - Exited with Status 1" in the progress window and won't let me run the game.

Surely I'm missing a step here. What am I doing wrong?
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/20/07 08:37 AM
You need a newer version of SDLMAME to use MacMAMEinfoX.
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/20/07 09:09 AM
Ah, OK, I got it to work by using one from here: http://www.parodius.com/~roni/sdlmame/ .
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/21/07 11:43 AM
Question for Vas: Do you think you'll add the ability to change the region on a BIOS file any time in the near future? That's really the only reason I'm keeping the old PPC MacMAME around; otherwise your front end accomplishes everything else I use MAME for. smile
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/21/07 11:51 AM
You can, assuming you have SDLMAME selected - select the game to change BIOS for, then choose "Game Options..." from the "File" menu. Select the "General" tab and put "-bios XXX" (where XXX is the BIOS name) in the "Additional command-line options" field, then click "OK". That game will subsequently always launch with the selected BIOS (until you change it, of course).
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 03/21/07 12:37 PM
Hmm, I must be doing something wrong. Let's use Bang Bead, a Neo Geo game, as an example. I tried entering "-bios Japan" in that blank, but the text was still in English when I started the game. I tried "-bios sp-j2.rom" (Japan MVS Ver. 2) and "-bios sp1.jipan.1024" (Japan MVS Ver. 1), same deal. I also tried a generic "-bios neogeo" but I assume that wouldn't work because that's just loading the BIOS itself and not a specific region that the BIOS uses.

Ideas?
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/08/07 07:23 AM
Sorry to resurrect this (and double post... eep), but I thought I'd bring a potential bug to your attention. Often when I enter and exit a game using MacMAMEInfoX, my middle bubble on all my Mac windows (the one that collapses windows into the dock) will disappear and won't reappear until I restart. Needless to say, that can get quite annoying when I'm working and I realize I can't get windows out of the way (yes, I know about Expose, but work with me here).
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/08/07 07:50 AM
The missing yellow button thing is a known bug in SDL itself. I believe it'll be fixed when 1.2.12 is released. A workaround is to always be in windowed mode when you exit gameplay (press Option-Enter to toggle windowed mode).

The -bios switch takes a number. In the case of That System Which Shall Not Be Named, they go like this:

Code:
	SYSTEM_BIOS_ADD( 0, "euro",       "Europe MVS (Ver. 2)" )
	SYSTEM_BIOS_ADD( 1, "euro-s1",    "Europe MVS (Ver. 1)" )
	SYSTEM_BIOS_ADD( 2, "us",         "US MVS (Ver. 2?)" )
	SYSTEM_BIOS_ADD( 3, "us-e",       "US MVS (Ver. 1)" )
	SYSTEM_BIOS_ADD( 4, "asia",       "Asia MVS (Ver. 3)" )
	SYSTEM_BIOS_ADD( 5, "japan",      "Japan MVS (Ver. 3)" )
	SYSTEM_BIOS_ADD( 6, "japan-s2",   "Japan MVS (Ver. 2)" )
	SYSTEM_BIOS_ADD( 7, "japan-s1",   "Japan MVS (Ver. 1)" )
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/08/07 08:03 AM
Cool, it's a known bug.

And thanks for the BIOS thing. Turns out all I was doing wrong was capitalizing the "j" in Japan. Augh. Well, it works now.
Posted By: Macamaniac Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/10/07 03:07 PM
How do u get the info box to work?

Everything else is working fine
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/11/07 06:31 AM
You need mameinfo.dat and history.dat
Posted By: Macamaniac Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/16/07 01:46 PM
cheers.
what does that mean?
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/16/07 03:17 PM
Read the help. It tells you in the getting started sections
Posted By: Macamaniac Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/18/07 11:43 PM
i cant get the p7zip to work.I download it but it tries to open with final cut pro -lol

I have the history dat in place however.

Can i unzip it on a windows pc machine and then transfer the files to the MAC?
Posted By: seanraaron Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/19/07 03:23 AM
The files are the same regardless, so yes. There's a freeware app for uncompressing p7zip files -- you should be able to find it on the net.
Posted By: Em Adespoton Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/19/07 10:06 AM
There's the one I wrote:
http://emulation.victoly.com/download/
Posted By: Macamaniac Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/19/07 12:53 PM
nice work Em!

You guys r the future!

TY.
Posted By: d.m.stern Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/21/07 11:36 PM
The disc image errors come from the checks added in the recent security updates. It will mount in 10.4.9 if you select "open" in the warning dialog, but there is definitely something not correct with it.
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 04/23/07 07:02 AM
K, I'll do something about it - just not straight away - life is too busy right now.
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 05/27/07 10:51 AM
New update - version 0.7.7:
  • Updated for SDLMAME 0.115
  • Features for managing per-game options, including applying options from one game to other games and cleaning up settings for removed games/plugins (in the Utilities menu)
  • Distributed on SPUD disk images as Tiger no longer supports single partition images
  • Minor UI improvements and optimisations
  • Some slight improvements in the SDK

Download MacMAMEinfoX 0.7.7 MAME front-end (639kB disk image)
Download MacMAMEinfoX SDK 0.7.7
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 05/27/07 01:40 PM
Thanks, Vas! No problems found yet!
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 05/28/07 07:05 AM
My wife is my beta tester, so I'd know pretty quickly if something was fundamentally busted. She needs her hit of decade-old arcade games every day wink
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 05/28/07 07:28 AM
Decade-old, eh?
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 05/28/07 08:00 AM
You're so broken

edit: while on the topic of adult Qix games, as far as gameplay goes, the best one ever is the original Kaneko Gals Panic. All the Comad ones are crap. The later games in the Gals Panic series aren't as good either. Oh, except of the 2-player vs mode in Gals Panic S - that's pretty cool (yes, I have played that with my wife, however wrong that sounds).
Posted By: R. Belmont Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 05/28/07 08:34 AM
"All the Comad ones are crap".

Repeated for truth. But Haze enjoys adding them smile
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 05/31/07 09:32 AM
Hey Vas, I know this is a bit of an odd request but could you possibly reupload 0.7.6, if only temporarily? 0.7.7 doesn't seem to be able to be compatible with SDLMAME 0.113 (it gives me -nomultithreading errors for any game I try to run), and that's the version I keep for Killer Instinct 2 at full speed. I'd really appreciate it.
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 05/31/07 10:39 AM
What? Doesn't KI2 go at full speed in 0.115? I'll see what I can do. What you need is just the older SDLMAME plugin - not the whole MMIX. I don't have it with me at work, but I can dig it up.
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 05/31/07 10:52 AM
Originally Posted By Vas Crabb
What? Doesn't KI2 go at full speed in 0.115? I'll see what I can do. What you need is just the older SDLMAME plugin - not the whole MMIX. I don't have it with me at work, but I can dig it up.
Thanks. Just to make doubly sure for testing and what not, I should probably give you some specs: 2 Ghz speed, 1 Ghz RAM, Intel machine (obviously), running SDLMAME 0.115u1 with MacMAMEInfoX 0.7.7, at default speed settings. KI 1 runs full speed, but KI 2 is at, I'm guessing, 80-85% speed.

Like I said, 0.113 ran both games at full speed; I'm not sure if KI2's speed hit in 0.114u4 and above is due to SDLMAME changes or MacMAMEInfo changes. Either way it took a hit for me once it started working again.
Posted By: Bob Boyle Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 06/02/07 11:19 PM
Vas,

Thanks for the updates. Is there any chance that you can make the UI function in this way: I use category files, but rather than using them to sort the driver tables, I'd like to use them to actually launch a game . . . so for example if I click on "Ms. Bob-Man" I'd like it to launch whatever game is associated in the categorty file with "Ms. Bob-Man."

As it currently stands, if I click on "Ms. Bob-Man" it just sorts the table down below.
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 06/04/07 01:56 PM
OK speedy, here's your SDLMAME plugin from 0.7.6. To use it:
  • Quit MacMAMEinfoX if it's running
  • Decompress the zip by double-clicking in the Finder - you should get a bundle called SDLMAME.integrator
  • Move SDLMAME.integrator to /Library/Application Support/MacMAMEinfoX/Plug-ins
  • Select MacMAMEinfoX in the finder and choose Get Info from the file menu
  • In the MacMAMEinfoX Info window, expand the Plug-ins section
  • Deselect SDLMAME.integrator (this disables the built-in SDLMAME plugin)
Posted By: Slick Mandela Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 06/04/07 10:16 PM
It works. Thanks, I really appreciate it. Just curious: Are you considering releasing an updated version of your app with this plug-in? Or will it be left out because it's older, and will always be an optional add-on?
Posted By: Vas Crabb Re: [slightly OT] MacMAMEinfoX - 06/05/07 07:20 AM
I intend to release MacMAMEinfoX only with the latest plugins. I'd rather add UI for new SDLMAME features at the expense of compatibility with older versions. If you want to use older versions of SDLMAME, you will have to use an older plug-in, ant that will always require some manual work.

That said, it is a supported configuration - you should be able to take a plug-in from any version of MacMAMEinfoX and use it with any other version (since plug-in support was added).
© Forums