Home Page

MAME status / future changes

Posted By: R. Belmont

MAME status / future changes - 11/05/10 02:58 PM

Current MAME builds and runs fine on Fedora 14 (GCC 4.5.1) with no changes, in case anyone was afraid of upgrading.

Future versions are likely to introduce a dependency on SDL_ttf (which in turn requires FreeType 2) for Linux/BSD builds. I know this isn't a problem on Ubuntu or Fedora - if it is on some of the smaller guys down the line, please let me know.
Posted By: ElBarto

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/05/10 05:22 PM

All the BSD have SDL_ttf ports/pkg so it shouldn't be a problem.
Posted By: echoes

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/05/10 05:46 PM

thanks R Belmont. good to know. i am thinking of switching from opensuse to fedora (14). fedora seems more up my alley for newer tech/software. although one of the reasons i chose opensuse was because of the vast amount of software available/packaged for it. (iirc, i read on a wikipedia article that more software was/is packaged for opensuse than any other distro. i haven't been able to find this article again though. i'd like to look at it again).
i'm installing fedora 14 on another PC i have to give it a try.

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/05/10 05:53 PM

Fedora has a lot of software available once you add the RPMFusion repos. I haven't built anything from source that I don't work on in years.
Posted By: The Flying Ape

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/06/10 08:16 PM

Thanks for posting that update. I did two `preupgrade` operations to go from 13 to 14 (one bare metal, one KVM guest) and a bare-metal full install, because I was blowing away the Ultimate Windows Vista 64 partition on it. All went (surprisingly) smooth. shocked

And all emulators are working great -- love RPMFusion for that!

I am posting an updated blog article soon on what to do to make F14's Firefox browser "just work" with Flash, Java, MP3, and Midi, if anyone is interested.

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/07/10 01:45 PM

Here's a quick-start to getting a lot of "extras" loaded without the hassle after an installation. It enhances the Firefox browser experience. It is geared towards the developer and retro-gamer. Enjoy!
Posted By: echoes

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/07/10 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Fedora has a lot of software available once you add the RPMFusion repos. I haven't built anything from source that I don't work on in years.

what i said was counting rpmfusion.

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/12/10 04:59 PM

The changes went in last night for u2 to support -uifont on Linux/BSD.

If anyone knows a desktop-independent way to enumerate known-to-the-system TrueTypes on Linux I'd love to hear it. For now, you have to give the full path to the .ttf file.

Also, we could use a Mac implementation in Cocoa.
Posted By: ElBarto

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/12/10 05:40 PM

fc-list :fontformat=TrueType file

This should work.
Posted By: qmc2

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/12/10 06:07 PM

Yeah, this works nicely here as well (openSUSE 11.3).

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/12/10 07:06 PM

Thanks. Looks like using the underlying fontconfig library shouldn't be a problem.

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/13/10 02:47 AM

Thanks everyone, I've now implemented it so you can either give the name of a font known to the system or a pathname to a .ttf. Additionally, for system fonts, it tries to find a pre-styled version if you specify bold and/or italic, which gives better results.
Posted By: tlindner

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/14/10 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Also, we could use a Mac implementation in Cocoa.

I could take a stab at this. I looked in MESS SVN and didn't see any revisions regarding this. Did I miss it?

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/14/10 01:49 PM

There hadn't been a formal MAME sync lately, I just brought the changes over.
Posted By: tlindner

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/14/10 06:13 PM

Thanks.
Is requiring sdl_ttf on the Mac an option?
Or would you prefer no additional dependancies?

Re: MAME status / future changes - 11/14/10 07:13 PM

I'd prefer to minimize dependencies and use the Core services if at all possible.

Re: MAME status / future changes - 12/01/10 01:59 AM

OT, but Fedora 14 uses cairo-1.10 which presents some ugly rendering bugs to Gnome (font rendering) and Firefox (animated GIF issues). I found a fix to downgrade back to Fedora 13 cairo-1.8 that "fixes" these issues.

Re: MAME status / future changes - 12/01/10 02:08 AM

Yup, there's an official bug on it too, but no solution yet.
© 2019 Forums