Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12263 08/30/05 11:27 PM
OP Offline
So, "1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again." Pretty intriguing isn't it? wink

First off, it seems that the WSJ and other "respected" journalist are already proclaiming it to be the long awaited Apple/Motorola iTunes phone.

But why let them have all the fun? I'll start this round of rabid and unfounded speculation...

It will be the vPod and iMedia Store! Yup, that's right... it's being done right now with THIS and THIS. But Apple will put it's shiny spin on it and do what the iPod did for the MP3 player market and what the iTunes Music Store did for legal downloaded music.

And I'm sure many will proclaim it to be a meaningless expensive niche product... just like they did when the iPod came out. wink

Time will tell... Any other ideas?

I'd like to see iTunes 5 with CD-Text. But new hardware ain't bad either! wink

A
A
Relaunch of the QuickTake 100 with 8MB internal memory, room for 1000 crappy pictures laugh

OP Offline
Ahh, as long as I'm at it... let's add a wireless set top box to download/manage/record/burn all of your digital content and will stream everything to your Mac/vPod/Hi-Def TV. Yaa, now that's the ticket! wink

"1000 songs in your pocket... or 1 movie!"

Well... maybe 10 movies. At 6 GB each.

I'm guessing it will be a pre-announcement of the forthcoming iFilms Video Store (or similar name). Bob Cringely has been speculating on this for awhile, that Apple will make available movies in HD format for downloading (H.264 codec). I tend to agree with his reasoning. I think the movies will be able to play back on next gen iPods (also being pre-announced) that will be able to hook up to HD (and SD) TVs, in addition to playing on the built-in iPod screen. And of course, they'll play on your Mac, too.

PC support? Probably later. Once Apple gets a feel for the potential market for it and bandwidth demands.

There will also be a DRM scheme allowing you to use the movies in the same way you can use iTunes, but probably more limiting. ie. you can burn the movie once to a DVD (using an update of iDVD), copy it to one iPod, and have it on one or two computers.

They may also announce a bigger brother to the iPod that serves as a home media center. This would amount to a Mac Mini with a few extra capabilities for hooking into a home theater system.

Steve Jobs is known to have been in talks with the future CEO of Disney (Bob Iger), and beyond the Pixar deal, speculation is that he's securing Disney films for downloading through the iFlicks (or whatever) Movie Store.

I suspect that it the iMovie Movie Store (hmmm... nah) will go online next month, and the new iPods will follow in time for the Christmas rush.

Either that, or it's an all-new "Monkees Edition" iPod, which uses up all of the leftover psychedlic plastic from the Flower Power and Blue Dalmation iMacs. Like the U2 iPod, it features the signatures of all four Monkees on the back. Except Mike Nesmith (in-joke).

AtariAge Blog
OP Offline
Now to me personally the iFlicks/iMedia/iMovie Store will be less about actual movies, and more about TV shows, past and present. Think of it as Tivo, where you can purchase that Family Guy/Lost/24/Entourage you missed last night as a $1.99 download... maybe.

Or even if I could just convert all of my DVDs to a digital format, organize them in an iMedia program and then carry them around in my pocket... I'd be ecstatic.

Jobs has said in the past that people don't want to watch video on a tiny screen. I agree... but if that screen was maybe 6" wide and I could watch it on the plane... or I could plug it into my home HDTV, or take it over to a buddies house and plug it into his 30" Cinema Display, or take it with me on the road and plug it into my hotel's TV... I think you get the picture. smile

Now granted, the MP3 player market was a little more mature when Apple jumped in with the iPod and took over. So it might be a bit premature for Apple to do it with the Video market... but maybe not.

Also, the iMedia Store might be a bit premature, and I can see it having identical problems to what the iTunes Store faced (low quality files, single episodes instead of full seasons, studio pressure, lack of a Canadian Store wink , etc)... but that turned out all right too didn't it?

Of course, all that being said, I actually think it's all a bit premature and we'll just get a Motorola iTunes phone, but soon my children, soon... wink

V
V
It's the iTunes phone, and I think that's all it is. I wish it was something else as I'm sick of the iPod, but I doubt it.

I want an iTranslator...a handheld device that translates spoken language into English (just like star trek)

:what:

MacPro - Dual Dual Core 2.66ghz Radeon X1900
Quote:
Originally posted by vitaflo:
It's the iTunes phone, and I think that's all it is.
Agreed. Video may be in the iPod's future but not the immediate future.

Interestingly enough, the local news station here in Milwaukee did a new story saying Apple is set to announce their new iTunes phone, crediting sources from Motorola and Cingular(?) or some other phone company. I thought it was odd since it's only rumor now and is it really newsworthy?

V
V
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveD:

Interestingly enough, the local news station here in Milwaukee did a new story saying Apple is set to announce their new iTunes phone, crediting sources from Motorola and Cingular(?) or some other phone company. I thought it was odd since it's only rumor now and is it really newsworthy?
I think it's because this was reported in the Wall Street Journal. So basically it's not a rumor. Motorola is making the phone, Cingular will be the provider. This is why I say the announcement is the iTunes phone only. WSJ has already broken the story.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB112536715965326361-IBjgINjlaZ4nJ6pZH6JbqWJm4,00.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Vas Crabb), 27 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,855
Posts116,550
Members4,934
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com