Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Integra Offline OP
OP Offline
I saw this in a story from OS News. I thought some people here might find the story interesting.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2520

Integra

H
H
Interesting? Well yes, it was, but hardly conclusive.

First, the lack of Mac OS X on Intel means that the author will be able to gleam millions of hits again once Mactels launch, then he'll get millions more hits when an actual consumer application launches?

No more mysteries? More like Mac OS X is not the best at serving SQL... wow, kudows for figuring that out Anandtech.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Well, yes, but to me the real takeaway is that Apple somehow made Unix 1000 times worse at what it was born to do. Hopefully their engineers saw that article and will rectify it - future apps and games are going to be increasingly multithreaded and thus look more like a server to the OS.

H
H
Believe me, it's much better than when Apple started, getting to have their cake (UNIX stability) and eat it too (with consumer OS functionality) has had the team split many times. I think you'll find that the trend is exponentially improving this exact problem with each release (something which I had hoped as focused an article would test). And, Apple is still working on it along with the Darwin community.

However, the good news is that at least Mac OS X has the multithreading potential to be leveraged, Windows is tapped out, meaning once OS X is on-par (maybe with Leopard, maybe with the next release), Windows will have to start looking to Blackcomb to improving.

I am much more concerned about Apple's OpenGL implementations when it comes to gaming... but that's also being worked on now too as Apple wraps up 2D and looks on to 3D.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pernod, Duke), 20 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,158
Posts119,916
Members5,034
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com